• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coffee |OT| Taste as good as it smells

SaintZ

Sinatar said:
The only way I can drink coffee.

459389636_f3fb78a21fkmsp.jpg
Fuck yeah! Fraps rule. My favorite way of drinking coffee. I remember when I was little, probably 9 or 10, my granpa took me to a nearby coffee shop to have my first cup lmao. Since then I love coffee but I don't drink it enough, unfortunately :(

Ferga

my dad loves drinking cheap coffee (international roast) and all he does is buy that so i have to wake up to unsatisfying coffee almost everyday. starting to ease off coffee though

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is cold brew the best way to make iced coffee? Never tried it but am curious. And anywhere outside of japan to get those little cartons of sugar syrup? They are essential for iced coffee IMO and no coffee shops seem to use them.

mrklaw said:
Is cold brew the best way to make iced coffee? Never tried it but am curious. And anywhere outside of japan to get those little cartons of sugar syrup? They are essential for iced coffee IMO and no coffee shops seem to use them.
Is that just simple syrup or is it something else? The former you can buy (though I've only ever seen it in bottles in the US) or make quite easily.

Edit: OH. Barely further down on my own Wiki link: gomme syrup. Sounds like it might be sweeter with the gum arabic upping the amount of sugar that can be added before it crystalizes out.

I love espresso but it's a bit too strong for everyday use. So even though I have one of those espresso pots I usually just go for some drip coffee, medium to french roast depending on how I feel.

Only real milk for my coffee, and if it's espresso it can be black too.

Srsly

Banned
When I went to the grocery store as a kid with my mom, I would grab a couple of coffee beans and walk around the store while sniffing them...i miss those days

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Inspired by slidewinder's post, I just made some of my own vanilla syrup.

...holy crap, I can't believe Starbucks charges €8 for this stuff.

protonion

I'm 27 and had only one sip of coffee in my life. Lately though I'm thinking about starting drinking. Every person I know tell me that it would be impossible for them to make it through the day without coffee. And I kind of feel sleepy all the time.

So for someone who never drinks coffee what kind would you suggest?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Go to a coffeeshop and ask for a latte with whole milk.

It's just espresso which is a concentrated brew, and steamed milk.

Other than the texture and the the fact that it's as varied as wine and beer, I love coffee because you can do so many things with it. Macciatos, cortados, lattes, cappucinos, and the suchlike.

Another awesome thing is latte art. I've been working in coffee for a few years, and finally work somewhere that they help train you on how to make it. So, while amateur, here are a couple shots of my current art.

179882_496619035484_765400484_6138626_4891241_n.jpg
180028_497873425484_765400484_6159101_5455602_n.jpg

GiJoccin

BruceLeeRoy said:
Blue Bottle / Ritual / Black Cat Espresso

This man knows his coffee

I don't do espresso at home, I do a pour over instead, usually with whatever awesome beans I can get my hands on - right now I'm drinking Counter Culture Ethiopia

clav

I feel I'm one of very few people who drink coffee black. By adding sugar + creme, you're drinking coffee because of the additives.

Been drinking a couple cups every morning starting this year. Anyone have suggestions for a bargain blend?

Been using a cheap Mr. Coffee thing to brew. I also have the Phillips Senseo that I got for free years back. Anyone have suggestions on a stainless steel coffee maker? The plastic worries me a bit.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
claviertekky said:
I feel I'm one of very few people who drink coffee black. By adding sugar + creme, you're drinking coffee because of the additives.

I drink black... but sometimes when I have it on hand, a splash of creme can really bring out some of the flavors in certain blends/roasts. Never any sugar though...

clav

Extollere said:
I drink black... but sometimes when I have it on hand, a splash of creme can really bring out some of the flavors in certain blends/roasts. Never any sugar though...
What kind of creamer you suggest?

Sometimes I add skim milk to lighten a bitter coffee texture if the coffee is just bad.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
claviertekky said:
What kind of creamer you suggest?

Sometimes I add skim milk to lighten a bitter coffee texture if the coffee is just bad.

A tiny splash of fresh half & half, nothing else.

Or an even smaller dash of heavy creme if you happen to have it.

That's all I've ever used. Otherwise black, baby... (but creme can be nice too :> )

I have no idea what you call it but in the south of India we got coffee from a roadside bakery one day and it was easily the nicest coffee ive ever had in all my life. I can only assume it was made with fresh Indian coffee beans as the bakery was there to provide food for the plantation pickers in the day. Its ruined coffee back home for me now :(

clav

Extollere said:
A tiny splash of fresh half & half, nothing else.

Or an even smaller dash of heavy creme if you happen to have it.

That's all I've ever used. Otherwise black, baby... (but creme can be nice too :> )
Sometimes I do that when sampling the coffee at the local Trader Joe's.

I guess I should clarify that sugar ruins the coffee.

GiJoccin said:
This man knows his coffee

I don't do espresso at home, I do a pour over instead, usually with whatever awesome beans I can get my hands on - right now I'm drinking Counter Culture Ethiopia

Oooh CC is good stuff I just tried Apollo not to long ago. Makes especially good drip coffee.
Finally another connoisseur of the subject.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm a plain casual coffee drinker (in other words, I usually go for Starbucks, McDonalds, and Seattle's Best).

Though I often crave for civet coffee (I usually get a cup that costs $5 or less). At least I get to have a cup once a year whenever I go on vacation.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
the only coffee I like is when I go back t Vietnam ever other year, reason is the coffee there actually tastes how it smells and its awesome.

Never been able to get similar experience in the UK and haven't really gone out of my way for it either. Not an expert by any means, but if more coffee tasted the way it smells I'd be on board.

Anyone know how best to recreate that kind of flavour via some kind of instant/press a button method? too lazy and not big enough coffee fan to get all the fancy drips, beans and so on.

Boozeroony

On the down side: They serve horrible coffee at work.

It makes me wanna buy another regular coffee machine and put it in my office.

NewFresh

claviertekky said:

I love me some delicious black coffee but I do on occasion add a bit of sugar and enjoy it just as much. I love coffee but if someone likes putting other things in it -Creamer/Flavored creamer/milk/sugar/sweetener/chocolate/sweetened condensed milk etc..- I see nothing wrong with it.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I got a Keurig a few months ago for a wedding present and I love the shit out of it. I have mixed feelings about the K-Cups, but they're very convenient. I usually use the little filter thing that lets you use your own coffee grounds and use the coffee I used to put in a drip machine.

This is a picture of the best cup of coffee I have ever had. I got it at some crappy little restaurant across the street from the Hualamphong train station in Bangkok. I didn't put anything in it, but the smell, texture, and taste were all amazing.

2nqz9d2.jpg

deadbeef

I also got a Keurig recently for at-home drinking. It's not the best coffee but it's so convenient that I'm willing to forgive any loss in quality. If I had my way I'd probably only drink shots of espresso, but thankfully there isn't a coffee shop convenient to me so I can't be tempted.

If I don't use the Keurig, at home I will do a manual drip for a single cup using one of those black plastic over the cup filters.

At work, it's automatic drip.

I love coffee.

ianp622

EmmanuelMunoz said:
Sadly never tried Turkish coffee but would love to. Any advice in what I need to make it?
If you want to try it before spending money on a Turkish coffee pot (known as a cezve and some sometimes incorrectly called an ibrik), you just need Turkish grind coffee (it's finer than espresso, you can sometimes get it from the grinders at your grocery store), water, sugar and a saucepan.

Here's my recipe, you can tweak it according to taste. Be careful with the sugar, it's easy to overpower the coffee.

I use a heaping tablespoon of grounds for a teaspoon of sugar for one cup of water. I usually make 2 cups, but I think that's like 5 servings or something. My method (kind of an amalgamation of various recipes + trial and error):
1. Bring the water and sugar to a boil.
2. Remove from heat, add the coffee grounds.
3. Stir it a bit to get rid of clumps.
4. Put back on medium low heat.
5. Make sure it doesn't boil, but it should be jiggling with an occasional bubble.
6. Leave it on for about 5-10 minutes, depending on how strong you like it.
7. Pour and enjoy!

The goal is to get as much foam as possible - this happens at a temperature below boiling, but you'll see the occasional bubble come to the surface. If you look closely, you'll see plumes of foam appear when you've reached the right temperature. I usually keep it at this temp until no more foam is being created (it will start to disappear then).

The problem I have with the saucepan is that the foam is spread pretty thin and so it doesn't last too long in your cup. I paid more than I should have for a hand made decorated cezve, but I'll let you know how it turns out when I get it.

Important note! Don't try to drink the very last bit of coffee in your cup. You'll get a mouthful of grinds. The problem is, the coffee gets better and better as you get closer to the grinds, so there's a strong temptation to keep going.

If you find you love Turkish coffee, try these grinds: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BTIHBO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

They have a nice strong flavor with a pretty strong chocolate note.

Been looking at something like this:
Gkj3qqk6Gt5q2iV3bNcNqt777v6af_oNGBI_VwZ7wXG17LeXi9ZPvOFYJVS7WrKygeC13TZbhOQKMxNiZnPXK5_Bwkm-3TRJsdHvpPkOn_f4H-_iek5CtFbbY4RHkQrALA0GWR8yuj9xA2IP8OJp69j8eWyiSR5eHbEv1A

Seems more versatile than a Nespresso since you don't have to use pods. Anyone got one? Are they any good?

ravien56

zesty said:
I got a Keurig a few months ago for a wedding present and I love the shit out of it. I have mixed feelings about the K-Cups, but they're very convenient. I usually use the little filter thing that lets you use your own coffee grounds and use the coffee I used to put in a drip machine.

This is a picture of the best cup of coffee I have ever had. I got it at some crappy little restaurant across the street from the Hualamphong train station in Bangkok. I didn't put anything in it, but the smell, texture, and taste were all amazing.

2nqz9d2.jpg
That filter for the keurig machine is complete shit. Every time I use it, it overfloods making a mess everywhere. Taking a look online, I'm not the only with this problem:(.

SuomiDude

Melchiah said:
http://i.imgur.com/kNwqU.jpg
+
http://i.imgur.com/np7MF.jpg
Pretty much this, except any decent coffee works, as long as it's not one of those cheap shit like Euroshopper and such.
Also my Tefal Express makes good coffee, so it doesn't have to be exactly MoccaMaster either.

I use milk with my coffee, but not much. And no sugar, unless I'm really tired and need some extra energy.

NewFresh

mai110.jpg

Growing up this is how my grandma and parents would make us coffee since we couldn't afford a coffee machine. We called it a colador but I am not sure what else they are called

Melchiah

SuomiDude said:
Pretty much this, except any decent coffee works, as long as it's not one of those cheap shit like Euroshopper and such.
Also my Tefal Express makes good coffee, so it doesn't have to be exactly MoccaMaster either.

I use milk with my coffee, but not much. And no sugar, unless I'm really tired and need some extra energy.

I immediately noticed a difference when I switched my old coffee maker to MoccaMaster. Although it was pretty old, and that tends to have its effect on flavor as well. The bitter aftertaste was replaced by a much softer flavor.

I also use milk (never the non-fat type), can't stand the taste of black coffee. Plus, one lump of those mini-sugarcubes.

Trouble

Banned
mrklaw said:
Is cold brew the best way to make iced coffee?

The resulting coffee is much less acidic than normal drip, and it really brings out the flavors in good beans. The end result is much stronger than normal coffee too and usually needs diluting.

A cafe where I work has cold pressed ice coffee during the summer and it is delicious, but I can't drink it very often because it is so strong my hands start shaking halfway through a cup.

Drewsky

I just use a regular drip machine. The cream is what makes it though, tons of cream and sugar is the only way to go.

ssowinski

Buy mine green/unroasted 20 lbs at a time. Roast it myself in small batches and grind it fresh every morning to put it in my Yama coffee bong using only pure reverse osmosis water.

Fresh roasted + fresh ground + pure water = the best tasting coffee every day.

ssowinski

will52 said:
Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee is the best.

Hawaiian Kona is pretty awesome too.

This is correct. But very expensive too.

FYI - Guatemalan Antigua has the taste of Jamaican at a reasonable price. Thats what I'm drinking right now.

BruceLeeRoy said:
About 2 pages ahead of you man but your absolutely right its excellent coffee. Retro-Fit I think might be my favorite.

=p Yeah a bunch of the local cafes (i'm in sf a lot) have this stuff (I know because they actually advertise they do) and I'm always impressed at the quality. I'm used to generic coffee or even espresso being rather bland, and I'm usually just in it for the caffeine boost. But the places that have Blue Bottle, I get caffeine and great tasting coffee, win/win.

Top Bottom