• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coffee |OT| Taste as good as it smells

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Judderman said:
EobO7.png

Give me some Cafe Bustelo and (sometimes) Cremora and I'm good to go. Hispano-GAF knows.
This.

I have considered a keurig or a similar machine, but the coffee just tastes bad to me compared to the percolated variety.

Sorry, I don't drink coffee for the effect, I drink it for the taste!

I use an Aeropress and sometimes a cheapo Mr. Coffee drip thing. I've been thinking about getting a new grinder since mine is poor at doing different coarseness grades.

Has anyone used one of these yama siphon pot things? It seems pretty cool.

warthog

Espresso machine. I like coffee. The coffee at home was/is rubbish, but I only learned that when I had a good cup of coffee. Since then, I like coffee.

RevoDS said:
Thread title is false. Coffee has one of the best odors in the world...but I hate its taste.

True. It really tastes nothing like how it smells.

I usually just make drip coffee although I like espresso too.

I mostly buy cheap pre-ground beans from the grocery store. Working on some Hazelnut flavored Don Francisco's at the moment.

I drink it black but will add some heavy cream from time to time.

eznark

Banned
I've always hated coffee but will smith got me to try an aeropress and god damn that thing makes incredible coffee. Dunkin Turbo all day long!

I use a cheapo Cuisinart drip coffee maker I got at Target and typically make Starbucks Vanilla Fusion:

vU9hm.jpg

Adding some French vanilla Coffee Mate and a little ground cinnamon into the mixture and yum.

besiktas1

krups-dolce-gusto.jpg

I have one of these, taste awesome but a box of pods finishes too quickly so I'm usually left without coffee when I need it most :(

louis89

Is mentioning Starbucks to you guys the equivalent of going into some indie music thread and talking about Lady Gaga?

thespot84

louis89 said:
Is mentioning Starbucks to you guys the equivalent of going into some indie music thread and talking about Lady Gaga?

ya pretty much nailed it.

Has anyone here read/heard about the possible 'danger's of french press? That there are oils and whatnot that stick around in french press that don't in other methods, that aren't very good for you?

TimeKillr

Anything but french press or espresso machine is nasty.

NASTY.

When I make coffee at home it's nothing but french press, and I exclusively use these beans: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Mountain_Coffee

It's expensive (about, oh, I dunno, over 10 times more than other beans) but it's so delicious that any other kind of just.. bleh. :)

That Nespresso shit is just disgusting. Seriously. We have a machine at work, and most people are getting disgusted of it rather quickly because it's so damn bad.

cloudwalking said:
they do mail order, sure, but a lot of people prefer to pick up their capsules at the boutiques because they don't have to pay shipping like if they order it by mail. most people seem to think it's worth it... but like i said, this leads to serious overcrowding in the stores during peak times and it can make wait times pretty bad... last time i bought a descaling kit in zürich on a saturday i had to wait in line for 20 minutes just to pay for it.

i go to my local boutique on weekdays before 4:00. the store is usually almost totally empty then.

a nespresso machine will make either short or long coffees, they have capsules that are specially designated for short (espresso) but they actually can be used to make a long coffee if you want. they also have special capsules for long coffee (lungo)... i wouldn't use those to make espresso though...

they do sell flavoured or special edition capsules at certain points during the year but it's not something that is in their regular line-up of coffee, no.

there are also certain machines that have an integrated milk canister so you can make cappuccino, latte macchiato, etc.

Nespresso is great but I'm not sure how environmental friendly can it be with all those aluminium capsules.

For me OROLEY is the best, the strongest coffee you can make.

cafetera-oroley-aluminio.jpg

Zaphod said:
I like my coffee like I like my women: Tall, strong, straight, black and hot.

A cà phê sữa đá is always welcome though.

I believe we have the same taste in coffee my good man. Cà phê sữa đá is good shit too, my uncle ran a coffee shop in Saigon so I drank that every chance I got when I visited. I've got a coffee filter to make some but lost the damned filter that screws onto the inside.

Extollere said:
Been rockin the Melitta in the morning:

melitta_rsj_black03_full_2879.jpg

I picked up one of those the other day too, since I drink coffee by the cup and not more than once a day. It's pretty convenient, but doesn't beat the Vietnamese slow drip filter I used before when it comes to taste.

ianp622

Turkish coffee fan here. It takes some practice to get right, but when you do, it's amazing.

It still perplexes me why people will spend $200+ on a coffee maker when you can make such great coffee in a saucepan. I know the serving size is about 3 oz, but I usually drink a cup and a half of it at at time :)

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
i drink instant coffee. it's called nescafe classico and it's taste ok with condenses milk. i mostly drink tea now though.

D-Pad

bathala said:
Thinking about Kreug but the kcups look expensive

They are. The worst part is the lack of variety packs, or the fact that I can't find them. About $9 a box of one flavor. The little kcup that you can fill with anything is ~$17 but I can't find that anywhere in stores anymore. I love the concept though - it's the execution that needs work.

NewFresh

Dachande said:
At work, an Aeropress. Couldn't live without it now.
aeropress-hero-260.jpg

Have been looking into getting an Aeropress since it if only $24-$25, does it give a consistently good cup of coffee?

Also I didn't mention what I use but most of the time it is a french press with some assortment of fresh ground beans that I have at my house (the stronger the better).

If I am making coffee for more than 2 people over I use a cuisinart and some cafe bustello.
cuisinart-dcc2000fr.jpg

I've got a whole host of coffee doo-dads in my house. For normal everyday coffee I've got a French Press. It's fast, cheap, completely idiot proof, and makes a damn good cup of coffee. We also have The Hourglass cold brew system for some iced coffees and weekend mornings. It's not a bad little gadget. Basically you let the grounds soak up the cold water overnight (actually we found 36 hours is the sweet spot) and it makes a coffe concentrate. Mix with ice water and ice for iced coffee or hot water for a regular cup. The downsides are, it takes a long as time to brew, it never feels like you have enough of the concentrate, and you have to use a ton of grounds. The upside is you can get a really great tasting cup from cheapo coffee brands.

Finally, we have our espresso maker and macchinetta, pretty straight forward. I recently (as of last year) started to make Cuban coffee. I've actually gotten really good at making the foam which is really what makes it a Cuban coffee. My brand of choice is Café Bustello, btw. It can be found in most Hispanic markets and I've even found it at Target of all places.

threenote

Banned
ianp622 said:
Turkish coffee fan here. It takes some practice to get right, but when you do, it's amazing.

It still perplexes me why people will spend $200+ on a coffee maker when you can make such great coffee in a saucepan. I know the serving size is about 3 oz, but I usually drink a cup and a half of it at at time :)
You and I are the only ones in this thread to profess our love for Turkish coffee.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Lately I've tried to switch to steeva or whatever that shit is called because it's supposedly a good no calorie all natural sweetener without the bad shit. Been using it for my coffee, and used some on my wheaties I bought last week because they were out of the blueberry kashi I usually eat.

My GF can't deal with coffee though. Upsets her stomach. So usually I drink the coffee, and she likes to drink chi instead.

NewFresh

threenote said:
You and I are the only ones in this thread to profess our love for Turkish coffee.

Sadly never tried Turkish coffee but would love to. Any advice in what I need to make it?

Trouble

Banned
I usually drink coffee that is single-cup brewed on an $11,000 coffee machine.

Starbucks may have mediocre espresso, but they actually import some pretty good beans for their reserve line.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Slowly but surely turning the tide. I've always enjoyed coffee but it was just instant crap. These days I try the occasional stuff at cafes and such takeaway, but I really should just buy my own machine.

345triangle said:
http://images.travelpod.com/users/fxdacat/1.1258130355.tommy-jones-in-a-lot-of-ads-for-boss-coffee.jpg
cold, black, usually in a can. if i'm making something hot at home for myself, it's probably tea
I tried some a few weeks ago and made me want to hurl. I guess if I want coffee, it needs to be warm at best.

Diablos

I use some Mr. Coffee 4-cup coffeemaker that I bought two or three years ago for like $20. Works great :D

You damn Gaffers and your hi-tech coffee makers, I'll tell ya what! ;)*

*How did I not know about cold water coffee drippers? I will have to invest in one of these for the summer.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Trouble said:
I usually drink coffee that is single-cup brewed on an $11,000 coffee machine.
That's dedication!

I tried Stevia, the taste was revolting. Back to sugar..

not really a coffee person but i've taken to drinking it at work (AMC theaters) to keep myself up, more late shifts recently

holy crap though is it strong. i have to water it down with 5-6 packets of cream and sugar before i can stomach it. maybe i just need to ween myself on it, i dunno

bytesized said:
For me OROLEY is the best, the strongest coffee you can make.
Yeah, those produce coffee about as strong as it gets outside of actual espresso machines in my experience. I've always known them in general as Moka pots, though. Never seen that particular brand.

Like some of the others in this thread I love the smell of coffee brewing, and the beans themselves, especially if they have some flavoring added into them like vanilla. But, I don't really like the taste. My morning pick me up is a can of coke which I know is horrible compared to coffee health-wise.

thirty said:
Do they still sell percolators?

Yes, my parents bought one a couple years ago. New from Hamilton Beach. They still swear by the percolator. They still have the same one I always remember them having my entire life and it still works and they make their coffee in it every morning. When I press them on the subject of "modernizing" they just don't like the way the drip machines taste and don't like the grounds that get in with a french press.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I have one of these things:

1s6bP.png

My only complaint about it is that the water tank is slightly fiddly to remove. Otherwise it can make a great espresso with the right coffee. I am currently brewing Starbucks' Casi Cielo.

7QeUU.png

Only thing I would say is that I sometimes get inconsistent results wrt crema. Sometimes the coffee drips out more slowly, and I get a AWESOME crema on top. Othertimes it basically pours out and there's no crema. I'm not sure if it has to do with the freshness of the coffee or something I'm doing differently without noticing. Anyone have any ideas?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Keep coming with the suggestions for machines. I really need to make my mind up for a new one.

Use drip at home and a really fancy espresso machine at work.

In both cases I grind the beans right before making the coffee, it really makes a difference.

Gonna go make a pot now.

Top Bottom