• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| September 2017 | 25 Years of wearing a smile to work!

Gen X is officially the most garbage comic ongoing right now.

Eyeboy had these powers unlocked years ago with Spider-Man while in the Mojoverse.
Who is everyone's #1 favorite superhero?
Why?
Favorite story with that character?
Dick Grayson

He's a superhero who chose to be a superhero in order to purely help people and doesn't let tragedy define him. He's empathetic and compassionate in a way that allows him to be both a great leader and a powerful manipulator if he absolutely needs to be. Sometimes his emotions get the better of him, but he always course corrects. He's also charming and fun, and great fighter. Plus I enjoy his improv far more than complex planning. While he has his flaws, they don't over take him and his strong moral compass makes for a character who I don't have to worry about making every situation greyer than need be.

My favorite run right now is Dixon's Nightwing.

tim1138

Why?

Darkseid.
If you can't relate to a towering god of evil obsessed with finding a mythical equation that will grant you total control over all known life in the universe, who can you relate to?
Final Crisis.

wTftUkn.jpg

I guess my favourite hero is Hellboy lol. Reason being he's been written, drawn and handled so well for nearly 25 years by an extremely tightly knit group of creators. It's hard to get better and find better than that in comics.

Specifically about the character, what can you say. He spent his entire life being told what he should be, what he shouldn't be, what his life would entail, all the terrible things it would involve, and not once did he act selfishly or put his own interests over others. He spurned destiny at every turn to make his own way in the world and help others.

At the very the end, in the face of our world ending as we know it anyway, he gave his life to give his friends just a little more time, for the smallest chance that if the world has to end that his death could make what came next better for everyone else. And as a baby plucked from hell, his struggles and sacrifices didn't end there.

I don't know what's more heroic than that.

Darkseid.
If you can't relate to a towering god of evil obsessed with finding a mythical equation that will grant you total control over all known life in the universe, who can you relate to?
Final Crisis.

I actually just bought Final Crisis and re-read it the earlier this week. It's cool but also so weird.

Like the Justice League act like they've never heard of Darkseid and the New Gods before.

I was reading the first issue of Astonishing X-Men earlier and a burning question I had was what happened to Fantomex's clones. Tried to look up info on Cluster but it says nothing about merging back with Fantomex or otherwise. Someone please alleviate my curiosity.

Aizo

Banned
Thanks for all the answers about your favorite heroes, everyone. I enjoyed reading your reasoning. I asked because I actually don't have a very favorite right now. I'd like to. I probably know X23 best, and so I like her, but I can't relate to her a lot of the time. I'd like to find a hero that really gives me a strong emotional reaction. I don't think I've read as much as a lot of you, so we'll see what happens as I keep reading more.
Yeah it really stands out. My favorite cover of the week is the one for Scales & Scoundrels though. I've actually loved all the art work I've seen from that book so far. The colors are especially nice.
How is that comic? It had me curious.

There was, a lot, going on in this week's Doom Patrol. Wow lol. Great issue though. Really enjoying Derington's art and how Way is handling the team. Wish we got a more ~regular~ release schedule but what can you do.

Also really hoping this hurricane doesn't come directly through South Florida... It's coming by this weekend and I've been anxious as hell. This has the potential to just devastate us. I'm fully expecting to lose power for weeks and more.

VanWinkle

I finally finished the Fantastic Four by Byrne Vol. 1 omni!

Man. Feels good to finally get one of these big older-materials omnis finished. They take so long to read and that makes me frustrated sometimes, but luckily I've felt in the mood for them the last week and have read the last five hundred pages over the last four or five days.

It really was GREAT. It was just quintessential, clever, fun, interesting Fantastic Four comics. Lots of great stuff with Galactus and Doctor Doom. Even though this material is over 35 years old (not long out of the Bronze Age), Byrne still managed to surprise and impress me with some of these stories and moments.

Biggest issue I had? Byrne had a LOT of moments where he references events from other Marvel comics of the time, sometimes even teasing things going on where you have to read the other comics to even know the outcome of that tease. I've noticed this quite a bit in Marvel books from this time and it annoys me SO much.

There was, a lot, going on in this week's Doom Patrol. Wow lol. Great issue though. Really enjoying Derington's art and how Way is handling the team. Wish we got a more ~regular~ release schedule but what can you do.

No kidding.
DID SHE JUST FUCK HER CAT!?
I don't even know whether to be horrified or aroused about that one.

Also really hoping this hurricane doesn't come directly through South Florida... It's coming by this weekend and I've been anxious as hell. This has the potential to just devastate us. I'm fully expecting to lose power for weeks and more.

Stay safe. If it were me I'd pack up all my anime shit and GTFO.

Aizo

Banned
I'm now caught up with X-Men Blue, and what I was concerned about from the beginning is true. I think that it's not really a special book, and it only stands out in this current landscape, because all the other X team books were quite bad before Astonishing. It's fine. It's serviceable. There's nothing that interesting about it, though. I think it really starts to look a lot stronger with the last two issues, so I won't drop it. Once the mysteries are all concluded, I wonder if I'll wanna keep reading the book.

So close to Samus Returns, and excitement rising! I should look into the Metroid comics sometime.

Exciting! I just got Monster Hunter Stories too, how I am going to play that and get good mileage out of it before Metroid releases, I don't know. This was poorly thought out lol.

Darkseid.
Final Crisis.

That speech is so good. Perfect summation of Darkseid's facism.

Is it me or is Nightwing starting to finally feel a shred similar to Dixon's run?

Maaaan. That hypes me like crazy. I have about a month and a half until the first deluxe edition comes out (collects Nightwing Rebirth #1 and Nightwing #1-15).

Ah that sounds really good! I kinda enjoyed the first arc but wasn't overly enamoured...but the fact it gets closer to the classic run is encouraging.

Wanderer5

Exciting! I just got Monster Hunter Stories too, how I am going to play that and get good mileage out of it before Metroid releases, I don't know. This was poorly thought out lol.

Lol, I definitely wouldn't have gotten it for now if I was interested. Heck I am pushing back Dishonored: Death of the Outsider, which comes out on the same freaking day as Metroid. D: And then I got Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire the week after.

Anyway, was so happy to revisit Zero Mission (my first Metroid game), and finally get through Fusion, having just beaten it today. Both are just fantastic.

Lol, I definitely wouldn't have gotten it for now if I was interested. Heck I am pushing back Dishonored: Death of the Outsider, which comes out on the same freaking day as Metroid. D: And then I got Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire the week after.

Anyway, was so happy to revisit Zero Mission (my first Metroid game), and finally get through Fusion, having just beaten it today. Both are just fantastic.

Haha yea, same deal with Dishonored actually hah, there's just not enough time in the day for all the releases this month. I'll probably straight up archive MonHun until October. Really want to spent plenty of time on Metroid, it's been so long, and I've barely made headway in Rabbids this week. Are you getting the amiibo? :D

Wanderer5

Haha yea, same deal with Dishonored actually hah, there's just not enough time in the day for all the releases this month. I'll probably straight up archive MonHun until October. Really want to spent plenty of time on Metroid, it's been so long, and I've barely made headway in Rabbids this week. Are you getting the amiibo? :D

Unless I find them on sale, probably not. Hell, might still be a hassle of trying to get them for now. Maybe if the Metroid one was separate I would had consider it more. Would totally pose it with the Samus Figma through.

Conan-san

I give modern day marvel its well deserved shit but I'll give them this. They somehow made
Future Space Wizard Dictator Tony Stark
boring.

That takes skill to do.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I give modern day marvel its well deserved shit but I'll give them this. They somehow made
Future Space Wizard Dictator Tony Stark
boring.

That takes skill to do.

Yep, Bleeding Cool was right. Generations IM was terrible.

Why?

Hmm is it a cheat to say the x-men, would I have to pick one?

I guess the reason would be the same as a lot of people here it was the first set of characters I started reading and opened me up to the wider world of comics. Particularly the early 90,s x-men that had so many great stories and character relationships at the time, wolverine/jubilee, gambit/rogue, cyclops/cable. Plus lets be honest the 90,s x-men were just cool, back when every story was an action movie, everyone still wore cheesy spandex and they hadn't well and truly destroyed gambit in every possible way.

If I was going to for one story from the era x-men I'd probably say the build up and then Age Of Apocalypse. There were so many cool stories at the time though.

Yes I realise I well and truly cheated with the question there ha

Mindwipe

I was reading the first issue of Astonishing X-Men earlier and a burning question I had was what happened to Fantomex's clones. Tried to look up info on Cluster but it says nothing about merging back with Fantomex or otherwise. Someone please alleviate my curiosity.

I'm pretty sure it's never been addressed. They literally just had Fantomex say it's a long story when asked.

Post Secret Wars X-Men was bad. So very, very bad.

Mindwipe

Why?

Iron Man.

He's got a robot battlesuit. He's not got anything else except stuff he can build, because he's a smart, self made guy, and flawed as shit with it.

That's really interesting.

Demon in a Bottle is a bit hard going for me, so I'd suggest The Dragon Seed Saga.

Cyclops was a *very* close second.

Still reading Valerian. Started on Ambassador of the Shadows. I thought the movie was based on "Empire of a Thousand Planets" given the name but it is this volume that seems to have been adapted.

The writing also seems to be getting stronger with each volume. Tending towards stronger themes and the leads are growing into their own unique voices. Two strong characters in completely different ways.

So beautiful. Especially the colouring.

Maaaan. That hypes me like crazy. I have about a month and a half until the first deluxe edition comes out (collects Nightwing Rebirth #1 and Nightwing #1-15).

Ah that sounds really good! I kinda enjoyed the first arc but wasn't overly enamoured...but the fact it gets closer to the classic run is encouraging.

Yeah it takes a minute and its obviously still the writer's take on Bludhaven and such the last issue gave me a huge flashback to that time. I wouldn't get your hopes too far up but its starting to come together and I think the current run is pretty good regardless.

Is it me or is Nightwing starting to finally feel a shred similar to Dixon's run?
It feels like a hybrid between that and Grayson. Especially given how the current arc is about Spyral.

But I've been saying that it feels like Dixon since the beginning of the first Bludhaven arc.

Malyse

controversial opinion- the War of Jokes and Riddles is one of the most superlative stories that Batman has had. It's a legend in the making and should have been the event DC touted. The Kite Man interludes are specifically brilliant

controversial opinion- the War of Jokes and Riddles is one of the most superlative stories that Batman has had. It's a legend in the making and should have been the event DC touted. The Kite Man interludes are specifically brilliant

I feel like King's run is sneaking under the radar for a lot of people. Which is stupid because its still DC's best selling book...but his Kite Man stuff channels his best work ala Vision.

Heartily agreed. The storytelling is so unusual, and the way it handles the titular conflict is somewhere near unique. I love it.

Aizo

Banned
I typically like it more than most, but the kite man issue this week didn't make me feel anything. Am I a monster? I felt like it wasn't... as impactful as the prose made it seem like it should be..?

Hmm. New (chronological order) Hellboy omnibuses.

http://ew.com/books/2017/09/07/dark-horse-hellboy-omnibus-editions-mike-mignola/amp/

Fortunately for such fans, Dark Horse's new Omnibus editions will collect the Hellboy saga in chronological order. The main story is now split into four big volumes (Seed of Destruction, Strange Places, The Wild Hunt, and Hellboy In Hell) with two additional volumes covering The Complete Short Stories. Best of all, these volumes all come with brand-new Mignola artwork for covers. The first volumes will be available in summer 2018, with the remainder to follow in the following fall and winter.

I am guessing they are going to be in the same size as the BPRD omnibuses.

Top Bottom