• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Online Dating is Hard

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is, the question specified if you've EVER done it. Like even once in your life. So if you were 10 years old and on Christmas break and played games for 8 hours, you either answer yes or lie.

I think it's a bad question with no room for nuance.

All OKC questions allow you to expand on your answer. My answer to that question was yes, but I put that it had only happened once (Halo 3 marathon!).

All OKC questions allow you to expand on your answer. My answer to that question was yes, but I put that it had only happened once (Halo 3 marathon!).

Is that so? How does it take into account the extra info when calculating the match? For example, if she put her "Hell No!" (paraphrasing) answer and marked the yes answer as unacceptable, wouldn't it still take the match down to 0% even with the extra info you put in?

GrayShuma

Neo Member
I was wondering, sure, promoting yourself has a huge gamer may deter some people , but wouldn't looking hard enough allow you to dig up some gamer girl out there ? Or do they just not exist xD

Is that so? How does it take into account the extra info when calculating the match? For example, if she put her "Hell No!" (paraphrasing) answer and marked the yes answer as unacceptable, wouldn't it still take the match down to 0% even with the extra info you put in?

Actually didn't think an unacceptable answer would bring the match down to 0 but maybe they've changed it (been a few years since I've needed to use it). Not sure exactly how it works.

Tinder took a while but holy shit it became fantastic. A few crazies here and there but it has done me well.

Plenty of Fish is hot garbage.

The bar is still the best.

ramparter

Banned
I don't get the OP

who asked that question and who answered it first

There are sites who ask users questions to find better matches.

Playing a videogame for over 8 hours straight is kind of weird though.

Having balance in life is important.
The ever implies people may have done it when they were kids. I certainly did it as a kid but I don't remember myself doing that ever in the last 15 years.

Galang

Banned
The problem is, the question specified if you've EVER done it. Like even once in your life. So if you were 10 years old and on Christmas break and played games for 8 hours, you either answer yes or lie.

Oh you're right. I didn't interpret that correctly. Yeah I think In that case she's completely wrong then.

Staf

Just message her and tell her you are a mod at Neogaf.com. 60 percent of the time, it works every time for me.

smisk

Been playing games regularly for almost 20 years (christ, I'm old) now and I don't think I've ever done it for 8 hours straight

I did some napkin math a while back and came to the conclusion that, unless you're incredibly ugly or incredibly attractive, you have a roughly 1 in 5,000 chance of meeting someone from online dating that you like and who also likes you. So, I mean, those aren't insurmountable odds, but it requires persistence and patience.

You know...they have Farmer's Only, and Christian Mingle, and Black People Meet, and all these other dating sites tailored to specific demographics...where's the geek and gamer mating site? Why isn't somebody all over that?
Gaming culture is toxic enough as it is with gamergate, introduce dating to it and the harassment will go way up when nerds get rejected. Ok, that's men in general, but still :p

zeioIIDX

I never have problems in the beginning phases.

But so many dates I get online end up like this for some reason.

Me: Hey, nice meeting you yesterday.
Her: (5 minutes later) Yes it was so much fun! We definitely have to do it again sometime ;)

Next week
Me: Let's get together this Friday if you have time :)
Her: (2 days later) SO SORRY BUSY FOREVER :(

It's a mindfuck. I seriously barely dated anyone for five months after the last time it happened to me. I had a great date earlier this week and I think it's happening again (don't wanna jump to conclusions since she just started a new job but given past experiences... :( )

Exactly me in a nutshell. Time and time again. Last woman told me she was in love with me. I had serious feelings for her too. Got ignored once for two or three days (very unlike her) and was concerned whether she was alright. Come to find out, she apparently had a bad dream where I was mean to her and she told me she couldn't do this. Couldn't be with me. I was like "Ummmmm....okay?"

Doesnt help that I'm a single dad, light-skinned, 5'5", and live in Mississipi. Black women around here wanna date white guys and white women wanna date white guys. All other ethnicities pay me no mind as well. And yes, many women have literally told me flat out that they aren't into black guys. One chick on Tinder was even like "What do you call a guy who is <6' tall? A friend." It's like Jesus Christ, can I catch a break here?

I get her point though. If you picture a guy playing games for more than 8 hours at a time, you picture an out of shape dude in jean shorts, sipping energy drinks in a dark room. That's not sexy. Of course that's a stereotype but one that's definitely true a lot too.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I'd say playing games for 8 hours straight pretty much makes any relationship harder. I'd also argue that having the view "playing video games for 8 hours straight is a normal thing to do as an adult" makes dating more difficult. Not many women about who would accept men like that. I know two women raising children by themselves just because their previous partners would rather play video games after a days work than take care of their children and house work. Of course these guys got dumped and lost paternal rights.

Biske

I agree that online dating is hard, but that picture is a great example of online dating being easy. Girl is a jerk who is not worth your time. Boom, saved you the trouble of finding out the slow way.

Lol for real.

If you like playing games for 8 hours, find someone who is cool with that and fuck the rest.

Ultimadrago

ej9iqph5jug9.png

Goddammit.

Thanks for the laugh, OP. lol.

Feels Good/Bad, man.

Weckum

Yes best of luck OP. A few additional pointers:

1) When chatting with the ladies be sure to sell yourself properly. For example, do you have a ronco rotisserie oven in your house? If so you definitely need to bring that up. Women like watching meat glisten and rotate slowly over a heating element. Make sure this special lady knows the door is always open for her to come over to watch your rotisserie oven in action.

2) Use subtle clues. Be sure to work phallic references into your discussions. Nothing crass, just be sure to work in references to tall buildings you've been in, rocketships, nuclear submarines, crayons, flagpoles, and things of that ilk. Remember: they're always listening on some level!

3) When you arrange to meet for your first date, don't get nervous! Pick a neutral location like a coffee shop and show up a few minutes late so you can make a proper introduction. When entering the room, be sure to pause at the door entrance so you can properly "frame" yourself. Cough briefly to make sure she's looking. Then stroll over to her. Try to extend your pelvis outward ever so slightly in her direction as you approach her. It's a subtle but effective way of communicating your inherent manhood to any new acquaintance.

4) when having your first conversation, make an effort to seem engaged and interested. Fold your hands in the "steeple" position and prop your chin on them. This will demonstrate to her that your actively interested in her. Be sure to clear your throat before starting any sentence so it's obvious that's you now intend to speak.

5) if you don't have a ronco rotisserie over at home, either go buy one, or lie and tell her you have one. Women fucking love the ronco rotisserie oven, I'm telling you.

The Wise Old Man

Nah, it's fun where you get to meet a variety of people. Even if it doesn't work, get good conversations and a fun time out of it.

Meeting people sucks though.

I get her point though. If you picture a guy playing games for more than 8 hours at a time, you picture an out of shape dude in jean shorts, sipping energy drinks in a dark room. That's not sexy. Of course that's a stereotype but one that's definitely true a lot too.

That sounds kinda hot.

Online dating is hard because it's a lot of work. All the swiping, chats that go nowhere, checking profiles just to mine one date from it is exhausting. And in my experience those dates often lead to sex but rarely relationships. If I was younger, hotter or at least lived in a bigger city I'm sure it would be easier. I took a trip to New York City once and my Tinder was blowing up. But absent those three things it's so much work I just get discouraged and don't bother.

PG2G

Sometimes you have to interpret questions like that, to me it's clear that nobody cares whether I did this at 10 years old. They'd care if i am currently the type of person to do it.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Jon Bones, teach us your ways!! More advice!!

-live in NYC through your 20s
-???
-have fun with women

after i got married and hit 30, my head decided to start balding quite a bit lol. so i imagine if she ever leaves me, i'll have to give it a lot more thought.

i never dipped a toe in online dating, and i was already hooking up with my now-wife when tinder came out so... i'd have to figure that out, too i guess.

Jazzem

I was wondering, sure, promoting yourself has a huge gamer may deter some people , but wouldn't looking hard enough allow you to dig up some gamer girl out there ? Or do they just not exist xD

You do get all sorts of people with varying interest son dating site., I remember having discussion threads with girls on OKC about Batman, Stanley Kubrick films and Studio Ghibli.

Alas those never went anywhere beyond a few messages, but honestly it was just neat to chat with like minded people :)

orava

What's the problem here? The system works and these two people clearly aren't very compatible. Just move to the next one.

1) When chatting with the ladies be sure to sell yourself properly. For example, do you have a ronco rotisserie oven in your house? If so you definitely need to bring that up. Women like watching meat glisten and rotate slowly over a heating element. Make sure this special lady knows the door is always open for her to come over to watch your rotisserie oven in action.

2) Use subtle clues. Be sure to work phallic references into your discussions. Nothing crass, just be sure to work in references to tall buildings you've been in, rocketships, nuclear submarines, crayons, flagpoles, and things of that ilk. Remember: they're always listening on some level!

3) When you arrange to meet for your first date, don't get nervous! Pick a neutral location like a coffee shop and show up a few minutes late so you can make a proper introduction. When entering the room, be sure to pause at the door entrance so you can properly "frame" yourself. Cough briefly to make sure she's looking. Then stroll over to her. Try to extend your pelvis outward ever so slightly in her direction as you approach her. It's a subtle but effective way of communicating your inherent manhood to any new acquaintance.

4) when having your first conversation, make an effort to seem engaged and interested. Fold your hands in the "steeple" position and prop your chin on them. This will demonstrate to her that your actively interested in her. Be sure to clear your throat before starting any sentence so it's obvious that's you now intend to speak.

5) if you don't have a ronco rotisserie over at home, either go buy one, or lie and tell her you have one. Women fucking love the ronco rotisserie oven, I'm telling you.

This made me laugh so fucking hard. Well done.

Not a fan of online dating, have far greater success in real life. I think one of the major problems is when you're looking at people like they're products in a catalogue you become quite specific about what you want and ignore the things you're more picky on, whereas in real life the discovery process is far more interesting and you're usually willing to listen anyway.

I don't get the OP

who asked that question and who answered it first

Probably on okcupid... their way of matching you with someone is by asking a shit ton of random ass questions. It's a pretty shitty site, but I did meet one pretty cool girl on that site, still talk to her on and off but we live in different cities now. I deleted my account and wouldn't go back though, so many weirdos...

Shredderi

In a world where Netflix binging is common, is it?

Haha that's the paradox always, isn't it? I hear that argument all the time, even if most of it is not very serious or ill spirited, and I have many times presented the netflix comparison and they ALWAYS get like " yeah but- hmm- no that's- look, it's different. IT JUST IS. END OF DISCUSSION.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom

giphy%2B%252810%2529.gif

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Haha that's the paradox always, isn't it? I hear that argument all the time, even if most of it is not very serious or ill spirited, and I have many times presented the netflix comparison and they ALWAYS get like " yeah but- hmm- no that's- look, it's different. IT JUST IS. END OF DISCUSSION.

TV is more mature content.

I use it to unwind after a long week at the office.

It's just there in the background while I do chores.

I only watch series X because everyone watches it.

From my experience, Tinder>Bumble>OKC>POF.

POF and OKC are pretty awful.

I've had a few success in person, though. It's actually quite easier, too. All I do is bring up how nice my ass is and they're smitten.

sakyot

I have to agree, where I live, as a gamer, My chances are way low.
Most of girls in my country are extrovert and Like to go out and discos and clubs and it's all they do.

"you spending your friday night playing games?? omfg loser"
This is pretty much a thing here.

Mesousa

Banned
From my experience, Tinder>Bumble>OKC>POF.

POF and OKC are pretty awful.

I've had a few success in person, though. It's actually quite easier, too. All I do is bring up how nice my ass is and they're smitten.

Tinder is for sex really though.

POF, at least in my area, is full of women with kids looking for a guy to play dad.

dh4niel

I've had a lot of success with Pof in the past. Made another profile recently after being single for 4 months but this time it's not going so great. The people that do reply don't seem to be able to hold a conversation. It's like getting blood out of a stone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom