• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Adventure 2 coming to XBLA and PSN (and probably Steam)

Kokonoe

Banned
All sonic games combined? look I like Azure Blue World and Metal Harbour a lot but this is just too far, you must reel the statement back in like Big the Cat.

Not going to happen. But the thing here is that the Adventure series actually has my favorite music out of all games in existence.

NOPE

Listen to the Colors OST almost every day. It's the best.

I don't recall any memorable track from the game besides the Aqua and the crazy Space one. Even if it's decent music, Adventure series for me is a level EVEN FURTHER BEYOND.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sonic Adventure series has the best OST out of all the Sonic games combined.
Wait, why haven't we had this discussion before?

Opinions are subjective, but we need to have a lovely debate about this.

Not going to happen. But the thing here is that the Adventure series actually has my favorite music out of all games in existence.
Well, okay. That makes sense. :)

I humbly disagree, even if I really like SA2's soundtrack.

NOPE

Listen to the Colors OST almost every day. It's the best.

That's false. That would imply that it's better than the Adventure series' music.

What hurts the Colors OST for me is that the Act 2 and 3 pieces are essentially remixes or rearrangements of the main melody. It's not bad, by any means, but it makes it feel like there isn't a whole lot of actual music in the game. To me, anyway.

To the Sonic Community thread then?

That's false. That would imply that it's better than the Adventure series' music.

What hurts the Colors OST for me is that the Act 2 and 3 pieces are essentially remixes or rearrangements of the main melody. It's not bad, by any means, but it makes it feel like there isn't a whole lot of actual music in the game. To me, anyway.

Oh but it is, yeah okay this doesn't actually lead anywhere as Schala said with opinions and all that.
But I will say that the three variations on an acts theme were pretty awesome, usually there was one that was quite far removed from the original act 1 version while the other would be closer to the source.

Sciz

SA1 > Colors >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SA2, musically.

Sonic Adventure 2 is trending on twitter, the people have spoken, they want Sonic Adventure 3.
This is probably the worst possible thing that could happen to the series at this point.

Emitan

Nier OST >>>>>>> Planet Wisp music >>>> SA games >>>>>>>>>>>> all other video games OST

Kokonoe

Banned

Well, okay. That makes sense. :)

I humbly disagree, even if I really like SA2's soundtrack.

One day i'll write up something about it as it's peaked interest. There's just too much to write for forum debate.

But I will say that the three variations on an acts theme were pretty awesome, usually there was one that was quite far removed from the original act 1 version while the other would be closer to the source.

Oh yeah, I do enjoy the Colors OST. Planet Wisp Act 1 and Sweet Mountain Act 1 are up in my pantheon of "greatest Sonic tracks." It's just that I wanted more music to love; it's hard to argue that the Adventure OSTs weren't diverse and large.

Rlan

iN7NBZppBIwiz.jpg

Hmm, still got his Soap Shoes?

ibqdosYni7mYpD.jpg

Was this in the original, or just the Gamecube Battle upgrade?

This is probably the worst possible thing that could happen to the series at this point.
Wasn't Sonic 2006 pretty much Adventure 3? i'd say it already has been the worst thing that did happen.

Oh yeah, I do enjoy the Colors OST. Planet Wisp Act 1 and Sweet Mountain Act 1 are up in my pantheon of "greatest Sonic tracks." It's just that I wanted more music to love; it's hard to argue that the Adventure OSTs weren't diverse and large.

Both adventure games do have much more stages and characters to work with on top of minigames, cutscene events and all of that, you are correct that their soundtracks dwarf the rest of the series and coming with that is a greater variety, even if Knuckles raps are part of the variety.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
SA1 > Colors >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SA2, musically.
Sciz, why do you like to hurt me like this?

Like, I don't have a favourite Sonic soundtrack, but I feel as though in terms of instrumentals and general harmonies, the recent soundtracks have had more interesting flow. This is likely as a result of the Ohtani/Kumatani/Tokoi team. Mostly Ohtani and Tokoi. It seems like they're bringing a lot to the table in terms of instrumental and melodic knowledge. Moreso than Senoue did. I like Senoue's riffs (as evidenced by my like for the SA2 soundtrack in general), but sometimes he comes off as somewhat one-note...

Billiechu said:
Nier OST >>>>>>> Planet Wisp music >>>> SA games >>>>>>>>>>>> all other video games OST
Whoa, whoa. Let's not go completely crazy. Chrono Cross, Zero no Kiseki, and Ao no Kiseki still exist.

Kokonoe said:
One day i'll write up something about it as it's peaked interest. There's just too much to write for forum debate.
You should! It'd be some good discussion for the community thread. :D

I'm gonna go ahead and say that Adventure probably has the best soundtrack out of any 3D Sonic game, but it isn't my personal favourite. That'd go to Black Knight, but that's mostly be becuase I have a massive hard-on for anything celtic-oriented.

I find Colours' OST (particilarly Planet Wisp) rather overrated to be honest.

http://i.minus.com/iN7NBZppBIwiz.jpg[img]

Hmm, still got his Soap Shoes?

[img]http://i.minus.com/ibqdosYni7mYpD.jpg[img]

Was this in the original, or just the Gamecube Battle upgrade?[/QUOTE]

That is from battle multi, so are the character models (they always looked a little off compared to the dreamcast models)

An absolutely terrible game, worse than Sonic Adventure, glitchy, absolutely puerile voice acting and writing, GLITCHY, difficult to control, nonsense shooting levels, abhorrent emerald quests, obnoxious music, massive focus on the homing attack to make up for fundamental control and design deficiencies, BOOST BOOST BOOST, utterly stupid intrusive and continuous soundbites and cut scenes, GLITCHY and BATS WITH TITS. Its better than Shadow/2006 but that's not exactly any form of compliment.

The game hasn't aged badly because it was shit on day one. It will sell, but to people who may wish they had not chose to relive their childhood.

That Sega devote resources into re-releasing this terrible game over some of their transcendent Saturn back catalogue is a sore point, it will probably sell though.

I couldn't agree more. Sonic Adventure 1 is a much better game, and I played that after SA2 (and as a result, expected to hate it, but ended up loving it). I hated SA2 back then, but love SA1 even now.

That said, I'm still welcoming SA2 to XBLA/PSN with open arms, because it brings us another game closer to getting Skies of Arcadia, Shenmue, and Shenmue 2.

Kokonoe

Banned
Sonic Adventure 2Battle did not feature all the costumes from the original Sonic Adventure 2.

Although, I do notice it says "content downloads" so maybe they'll make those costumes DLC again or something.

That looks like default City Escape, not the snowboarding level they added in Battle. Models do look like the GC ones though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auNdbCAJxJE

It's from the sonic/shadow versus level where you play about 2/3rds of city escape.

*edit* wait this was in SA2 dreamcast? I thought it was just green forest and 2 others, not city escape. Hm. Wonder if the battle stuff will be DLC then like DX stuff in SA1 was.

An absolutely terrible game, worse than Sonic Adventure, glitchy, absolutely puerile voice acting and writing, GLITCHY, difficult to control, nonsense shooting levels, abhorrent emerald quests, obnoxious music, massive focus on the homing attack to make up for fundamental control and design deficiencies, BOOST BOOST BOOST, utterly stupid intrusive and continuous soundbites and cut scenes, GLITCHY and BATS WITH TITS. Its better than Shadow/2006 but that's not exactly any form of compliment.

The game hasn't aged badly because it was shit on day one. It will sell, but to people who may wish they had not chose to relive their childhood.

That Sega devote resources into re-releasing this terrible game over some of their transcendent Saturn back catalogue is a sore point, it will probably sell though.

Weird how most of GAF seems positive about a rerelease of a shit game then.

Sonic soundtracks in general are amazing pieces of work.
I MADE IT HERE AS FAST AS I COUL-
*restrains Beef*
:(

Jokey jokes aside, the soundtrack is a joy to listen to. Not sure if I'm going to bite on this though. I didn't like the non-Speed courses back in the DC days, so I can't imagine how I would feel about them now.

And all the Chao Garden praisers in here are horrible people who probably like Sonic 06. :mad:

SA1 and SA2 are very different games. I loved both when I was younger, but today it's difficult not to see past their faults. Personally, I think SA2 has aged much better than SA1; though I'm not entirely sure if that is due to SADX being such a shoddy port. For a game released in 2003 it really isn't that great. The original had much more charm IMO and for its time it was pretty good.

That said, if SA2 is 800 points I'm in. Also glad its the battle version, the extra muliplayer modes and chao karate make it worth it.

I MADE IT HERE AS FAST AS I COUL-

:(

Jokey jokes aside, the soundtrack is a joy to listen to. Not sure if I'm going to bite on this though. I didn't like the non-Speed courses back in the DC days, so I can't imagine how I would feel about them now.

And all the Chao Garden praisers in here are horrible people who probably like Sonic 06. :mad:

I only played in the Chao Garden just to see how the Chao in their interact with each other. I heard that they do things like hold hands, shake food down for each other, and actually play games together a la this picture right here:

Sonic+adventure+2+sonic+the+hedgehog+with+chao+playing+ball.jpg

It never happened.

There was also this other rumor that your Chao could get jealous if you treated one good and another poorly. This also never happened. They only interacted with each other in bare-minimum ways. A third Chao garden would be pretty good with today`s technology to make it more immersive.

SmithnCo

Care to elaborate?

And yes, Chao Garden.

It forces you to play the terrible Knuckles/Tails robot sections in either main story, before getting to the good stuff. The Knuckles and robot sections were worse than they were in SA1 too, Knuckles rapping aside. The Sonic/Shadow sections are okay. Though I don't have the same nostalgia for SA2.

So overall I like SA1 more even though it hasn't really aged well.

Top Bottom