• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Adventure 2 coming to XBLA and PSN (and probably Steam)

Balb

I suppose 06 might be entertaining in a silly Adventure kind of way, if it wasn't impossible to play.
Even if you thought Colours was dull to play, it looked and sounded incomparably better than the Adventure games it's not even funny.

Sure it looks better (why wouldn't it?) but sounds better? No way. SA1 and 2 had amazing soundtracks if that's what you mean by sound.

Jubern

Skies of Arcadia
Grandia II

They could also release some canceled games which where already done like:
Propeller Arena...

YES!

Too bad it probably wouldn't have the licensed songs anymore. Then again, only the 3 people who played the leaked version would care, I suppose :/

But I'm really surprised SEGA never retried to release that game, it's not a masterpiece but it's insanely fun. AM2 up in that bitch.

Chunky

There won't be another game like Colors as Sega doesn't use the license to whatever engine that was. Expect Sonic Generations type gameplay here on out.

Either way, Sonic Colors wasn't a very "Sonic" like game.
Hmm. I thought they both ran on different versions of the same (hedgehog) engine, tbh.
Doesn't really matter as long as the next game takes what was great from both games and puts it in one package, I'll be happy.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sure it looks better (why wouldn't it?) but sounds better? No way. SA1 and 2 had amazing soundtracks if that's what you mean by sound.
Sonic soundtracks in general are amazing pieces of work.

*restrains Beef* Anyway, I genuinely feel like Sonic soundtracks don't get the kudos they generally deserve given all the work and mixing that's put into them. You have some really good, melodic stuff on them.

Kokonoe

Banned
Hmm. I thought they both ran on different versions of the same (hedgehog) engine, tbh.
Doesn't really matter as long as the next game takes what was great from both games and puts it in one package, I'll be happy.

The hedgehog engine is actually a graphics engine which Unleashed and Generations used.

vid

I love Sonic Adventure 2, but I still prefer the first game by far... the presentation, gameplay, and level design were all top notch in Sonic Adventure. It's not even nostalgia-goggles, I bought Sonic Adventure the day it came out on XBLA and still pop in SA2: Battle on a pretty regular basis...

...so, when do we get the wide screen support DLC for the original Sonic Adventure?

wrowa

Apart of the chaos emerald levels I really, really liked SA2 back in the day. A much better experience than SA1 in pretty much every way in my book.

As some others mentioned, the multiplayer in Sonic Adventure 2 was pretty fantastic. I used to play it with people all the time and had a blast with it. It's a shame the multiplayer aspects of the game don't seem to be getting an online component to them.
Yeah it is a curious omission, I would have loved to play the Chao races and kart racing modes online.

Even if you thought Colours was dull to play, it looked and sounded incomparably better than the Adventure games it's not even funny.
An 18 month old Wii game looks better than a 13 year old Dreamcast game? How could it be?

Chunky

Visually, SA 1/2 are a lot less creative, I thought, than Colours. It just seemed like it was more in line with an actual Sonic game than something born out of Sega's need to push the Dreamcast. But this is linked to the hardware, so it's probably not quite a fair comparison.
Music-wise, I don't know. Admittedly, there's some standout tracks (Metal Harbour <3), but most of it felt like I either had to enjoy it ironically or just mute it completely (ie all the hub-world tracks). Again, Colours felt much more like a Sonic game, aurally.
But obviously the music's not nearly as bad as the crappy hub-worlds, brain-poisoning story, half-assed 3d platforming, forced ''friend'' playtime and the heaps of glitches both games enjoyed.

Petrichor

I love Sonic Adventure 2, but I still prefer the first game by far... the presentation, gameplay, and level design were all top notch in Sonic Adventure. It's not even nostalgia-goggles, I bought Sonic Adventure the day it came out on XBLA and still pop in SA2: Battle on a pretty regular basis...

...so, when do we get the wide screen support DLC for the original Sonic Adventure?

but the fishing levels....the fishing levels. How could anyone enjoy that shit? Everything terrible about Sonic Adventure 2 was also present in SA1, but SA1 had big the cat.

Foffy

Banned
This thread is about Adventure 2, not Sonic Colors

I...don't want to live in your world where Adventure 2 is somehow better than Colors. Maybe the DS version, sure, but Adventure 2 is just as much of a terrible Sonic game as Sonic Adventure 1 was. In fact, having Sonic in the title is a disservice as 1/6th of those damn games let you play as Sonic.

I played SA1 after SA2:B (I got them on the Gamecube where they came out in that order) and I disliked just about everything about SA1. I ran into way more glitches, the open world areas sucked if you didn't know where to go, and I thought the presentation was even worse than SA2 (though both are pretty terribad).

Maybe I just didn't mind the Tails/Eggman and Knuckles/Rouge levels as much as other people did. I thought the Knuckles/Rouge levels in particular were fantastically designed; if they had given you more to do than Find the Treasure they could have been my favorite parts of the game.

Shion

An absolutely terrible game, worse than Sonic Adventure, glitchy, absolutely puerile voice acting and writing, GLITCHY, difficult to control, nonsense shooting levels, abhorrent emerald quests, obnoxious music, massive focus on the homing attack to make up for fundamental control and design deficiencies, BOOST BOOST BOOST, utterly stupid intrusive and continuous soundbites and cut scenes, GLITCHY and BATS WITH TITS. Its better than Shadow/2006 but that's not exactly any form of compliment.

The game hasn't aged badly because it was shit on day one. It will sell, but to people who may wish they had not chose to relive their childhood.

That Sega devote resources into re-releasing this terrible game over some of their transcendent Saturn back catalogue is a sore point, it will probably sell though.
Sonic Adventure 2 is a masterpiece compared to the joke that SA1 was (I'm talking about the Sonic/Shadow stages). Sonic Adventure 1 wasn't even a game. It was just a graphically impressive tech demo with nonexistent gameplay, broken spin dash, moon physics, countless bugs, glitches and a horrible camera.

Kokonoe

Banned
I...don't want to live in your world where Adventure 2 is somehow better than Colors. Maybe the DS version, sure, but Adventure 2 is just as much of a terrible Sonic game as Sonic Adventure 1 was. In fact, having Sonic in the title is a disservice as 1/6th of those damn games let you play as Sonic.

This part doesn't make sense. You don't play as Zelda in Zelda games. The title isn't an entire summary of what's in the game.

I just seen the images on page 2, wow so they actually went with 720p this time.

I just worry that they fucked up and made this port 30fps when the dreamcast original is 60.

Sciz

For all the faults both SA1 and 2 have, I've never understood the widespread complaining about bugs. The biggest offender by a wide margin is that the homing attack spazzes out periodically. I'm hard pressed to think of anything else of significance going wrong.

But really, I'm probably gonna download the demo and realize that Sonic is impossible to keep going in a straight line, begin pondering how the hell I put up with this back in 2001-or-so, and promptly not buy the remake. I am kind of curious as to how loose his controls are, but my DC has issues reading discs.

1/5, actually; 6 stages out of 30, plus a portion of the final 31st. 1/3 if you go by gameplay style, since Shadow has 4 stages and plays nigh identically to Sonic (barring the loss of the bounce bracelet and the completely useless Magic Hands).

ChuChu friggin' Rocket!
Sort of got my Chu Chu Rocket fill with the Android port, but I remember being puzzled as to why this didn't make the jump to console digital downloads; it'd be perfect for it.

vid

but the fishing levels....the fishing levels. How could anyone enjoy that shit? Everything terrible about Sonic Adventure 2 was also present in SA1, but SA1 had big the cat.

The fishing levels were tedious, that much is true, but you could also get through them fairly quickly.

The Knuckles stages in SA were infinitely more well designed than the Knuckles/Rouge levels in SA2, something that was further compounded by the radar in SA2 only letting you chase one emerald fragment at a time, rather than homing in on whichever one you were closest to.

It's a similar situation with the Tails/Eggman sections versus E-102's story... all of E-102's stages were interesting and well designed, while the majority (but not all) of Tails and Eggman's stages are just tedious to play through. The constant countdown for E-102 also added an interesting facet to his game, keeping you moving on a robot murdering rampage at all costs!

Another big issue that I had with SA2 was that the camera was pretty much always locked onto the "right" direction. In Sonic Adventure, there was a lot of fun to be had in just poking around the various nooks and crannies of a stage looking for shortcuts and cool details. Sonic Adventure 2 punishes such exploration by allowing you to rotate the camera freely, but yanking it violently back into the "correct" position the moment you touch the analog stick.

Give me better design and freedom to explore any day. Hell, I'll easily put up with Big the Cat to have Perfect Chaos instead of a totally out of nowhere lizard with a spaceship growing out of it's ass.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
if enough people think like you, Sega might actually go vack to the Adventure style *shudders*

man that would be GREAT

i still have my dc birthday pack version that i can play in 1080p on nullDC so i'll pass on this however

jbueno

Played this to death on GCN back in 2002. I still have my copy, so I´ll pass on this for now. Maybe on a Steam sale.

Shizzlee

Leaderboards are nice, but I'd need something else to make me buy this game a third time. Online multiplayer and Online Chao Garden then I'd be down.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Steam version better not be a clusterfuck like DX. The configuration menu still to this day does not work properly. Fan modders had to fix it themselves.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1779897

Further more, the Sonic DX on steam was a port of the Xbox version and not the Original PC version. Which basically meant it looked like crap. Thankfully the PC version files can be intergrated with the steam version.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2497018

Foffy

Banned
This part doesn't make sense. You don't play as Zelda in Zelda games. The title isn't an entire summary of what's in the game.

Well, it becomes a problem when you're making various different gameplay sections between Sonic and all of the characters, and because you're splitting the core game up in so many ways, none of it ends up being polished as a result. So in some sense, it's a disservice because it creates a grand lack of polish. If it was all Sonic, the game would probably be more polished, and looked back on with less of a need for nostalgia goggles to excuse how poorly the experience has aged.

Revven

Leaderboards are nice, but I'd need something else to make me buy this game a third time. Online multiplayer and Online Chao Garden then I'd be down.

Agreed. I still have the GCN version and have it 100%'d, could still play it if I wanted to. The only thing this would do for me is it being digital, which would only be a novelty... because I doubt I'd play it nearly as much as I used to.

The Chao Garden is what really kept me playing it, shit was so addicting.

Unless there's online versus with all the different gametypes, I'm not really interested in purchasing day 1. Maybe when there's a sale.

ShadiWulf

Sonic Adventure 2 is trending on twitter, the people have spoken, they want Sonic Adventure 3.

CO5Vd.png

Top Bottom