• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Adventure 2 coming to XBLA and PSN (and probably Steam)

Kokonoe

Banned
Metacritics on the Gamecube versions:

Sonic Adventure DX Director's Cut: 57
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle: 73

Metacritic on XBLA/PSN

Sonic Adventure: 50
Sonic Adventure 2: ???

These games are dropping fast!

You can't compare the DX port to the Battle port as with Battle things were actually improved upon. With DX, they actually had more glitches than the original game. Battle actually added a lot more things too.

And it's obvious why you shouldn't compare the other one.

Gruco

Banned
Honestly the last stages for both Shadow and Sonic in particular are some pretty awesome platforming. It's just a shame you have to wade through so much shit to get there.

Without fixing the radar, or letting the Batgirl/Knuckles stages be skipped, the positives can't hope to outweigh the flaws.

cajunator

Banned
I will buy this. Somehow I lost the Gamecube version and I was super pissed for a while.
I hate the emerald searches though. fuck those to hell.

TimmiT

It forces you to play the terrible Knuckles/Tails robot sections in either main story, before getting to the good stuff. The Knuckles and robot sections were worse than they were in SA1 too, Knuckles rapping aside. The Sonic/Shadow sections are okay. Though I don't have the same nostalgia for SA2.

So overall I like SA1 more even though it hasn't really aged well.
Same, I like the Sonic and Shadow stages but the rest of SA2 is either boring or frustrating.

Will probably still buy this though.

Blueblur1

I only played in the Chao Garden just to see how the Chao in their interact with each other. I heard that they do things like hold hands, shake food down for each other, and actually play games together a la this picture right here:

Sonic+adventure+2+sonic+the+hedgehog+with+chao+playing+ball.jpg

It never happened.

There was also this other rumor that your Chao could get jealous if you treated one good and another poorly. This also never happened. They only interacted with each other in bare-minimum ways. A third Chao garden would be pretty good with today`s technology to make it more immersive.
With each release, I've been hoping for the return of the Chao Garden but it never does. :(

Kokonoe

Banned
Not going to happen, but if something insanely unlikely did happen, I think it'd be neat if they threw in the option to play the GBA Chao Garden on it.

Angelcurio

Awesome news, it will be nice to finally play Green Forest once again, and hear Live and Learn while fighting the final boss. OTH they should fix SA1 so it would play on widescreen.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
This game has the best Chao Garden ever.

Good thing they made it widescreen too.

ArjanN

Seems kind of pushing it with all the Sonic releases after Generations, Sonic CD, episode 2 etc. I'd rather see Skies of Arcadia or Shenmue next Sega. Jet Set Radio is nice though.

I wouldn't mind seeing a remake of the Adventure games redone in the Generations engine (sans boost) and with better level design and everything.

At least the music is still good I guess

Sonic Adventure 2 Battle is right up there with Man Icarus and Halo DS.

Hopefully this incarnation of SA2 has some bug fixes. It looks like they're going a bit beyond the usual half-assed port job, probably because SA2 never had a PC version to lazily copy over. I was playing some SA2:B the other day and man, that camera. If nothing else give us the second stick for cam control.

Tizoc

I thought this was known for a while now what with that XBLA leak.
Hopefully it'll get a good HD-ification.
NOW ANNOUNCE JOJO HD ALREADY, CAPCPOM!!!!111

It forces you to play the terrible Knuckles/Tails robot sections in either main story, before getting to the good stuff. The Knuckles and robot sections were worse than they were in SA1 too, Knuckles rapping aside. The Sonic/Shadow sections are okay. Though I don't have the same nostalgia for SA2.

So overall I like SA1 more even though it hasn't really aged well.

I don't mind the Knuckles / Rouge sections so much, but I see what you mean with SA2 forcing you through it. The Tails / Robotnik robot sections are a nightmare though; the game would've been much better with less of the fluff and more Sonic / Shadow missions.

Thabass

An absolutely terrible game, worse than Sonic Adventure, glitchy, absolutely puerile voice acting and writing, GLITCHY, difficult to control, nonsense shooting levels, abhorrent emerald quests, obnoxious music, massive focus on the homing attack to make up for fundamental control and design deficiencies, BOOST BOOST BOOST, utterly stupid intrusive and continuous soundbites and cut scenes, GLITCHY and BATS WITH TITS. Its better than Shadow/2006 but that's not exactly any form of compliment.

The game hasn't aged badly because it was shit on day one. It will sell, but to people who may wish they had not chose to relive their childhood.

That Sega devote resources into re-releasing this terrible game over some of their transcendent Saturn back catalogue is a sore point, it will probably sell though.

You're just mad that your son couldn't conquer the world.

Pretty awesome. I'll get this on PSN and maybe Steam. Can't wait to drudge through Knuckles's levels again. :p

Actually, I'm most looking forward to the awesome music.

Like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzxocpEItdo

THIS SONG! I love this song and still listen to it to this day. It's on of my favorite pieces of VGM.

bumpkin

An absolutely terrible game, worse than Sonic Adventure, glitchy, absolutely puerile voice acting and writing, GLITCHY, difficult to control, nonsense shooting levels, abhorrent emerald quests, obnoxious music, massive focus on the homing attack to make up for fundamental control and design deficiencies, BOOST BOOST BOOST, utterly stupid intrusive and continuous soundbites and cut scenes, GLITCHY and BATS WITH TITS. Its better than Shadow/2006 but that's not exactly any form of compliment.

The game hasn't aged badly because it was shit on day one. It will sell, but to people who may wish they had not chose to relive their childhood.

That Sega devote resources into re-releasing this terrible game over some of their transcendent Saturn back catalogue is a sore point, it will probably sell though.
Geez, tell us how you really feel. You'd think SA2 kicked his puppy or stole his lunch money.

The only thing I vaguely remember about SA2 was that you played as Sonic's shitty friends far more than you did as Sonic, and for a game called "Sonic" Adventure 2, that's pretty much unforgivable. But I do take exception to your assertion that the music was obnoxious; it was fucking awesome!

Rlan

I'd love to get Toy Commander HD.

Toy Commander HD
Chu Chu Rocket HD
Dynamite Cop HD
Puyo Puyo Fever HD (Technically on Dreamcast as well :p)
Skies of Arcadia HD

That's about all you'll be able to get from Sega's Dreamcast lineup that hasn't been ported already.

Of their Saturn stuff:

NiGHTS into Dreams HD (Preferrably the PS2 version)
Burning Rangers HD (Just so I know what the hell it plays like)
Panzer Dragoon Zwei / Saga

Graphics, Music, Chao Garden were amazing.

Multiplayer was pretty awesome.

Had fucking SECRETS, including hidden paths/flutes - an amazing feature given the trend at the time of its release.

Sonic/Shadow levels were easily among the most fun I've had in a Sonic game - the only 'superior' levels being some select stages from the Sonic 1,2,3,S&K era.

The game is unfortunately tainted by the hideous 'Sonic friends' stages. They are not broken - and on some level, can be mildly enjoyable... but there is a such a massive discrepancy between the quality, design, replayability/exploration and music of the Sonic/Shadow stages and the 'Friends' stages, that it is impossible to forgive. The Tails/Eggman stages were slow and tedious, but ultimately short enough and simple enough to satisfy as 'variety' in the game. The Knuckles/Rouge stages were nearly all awful however. Confusing level design, clunky movement, terrible camera, awful music and an overall concept that didn't really fit the Sonic design guidelines at all.

For anyone on the fence, I'd recommend watching some Youtube videos of the Sonic/Shadow stages and see if it looks at all entertaining to you. I replayed some those stages to death, Radical Highway, Skyrail etc. were all amazing. The 'Friends' stages are a mild annoyance if you enjoy what the game has to offer at its core. If the Sonic/Shadow stages don't interest you, avoid at all costs. The 'Friends' stages will drag the game out for you until you hate it.

As for my view/judgement of the game. I fucking loved it when it came out. I played the living shit out of it, and once I had beaten the game never looked back at the shitty friend stages. I could have listened to the soundtrack all day long, and the multiplayer was surprisingly enjoyable. I tried it again recently and still thoroughly enjoyed the game until I reached the Tails/Knuckles stages. I ultimately tortured myself through those stages so I could reach the later stages/ending. I'm not sure it was worth it, as those stages truly are awful, but there is some payoff with some of the later Sonic/Shadow awesome-ness.

I'll buy it again just to show Sega that I would still like a 3D Sonic that isn't the awful shit I've had to witness over the past 6+ years.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Geez, tell us how you really feel. You'd think SA2 kicked his puppy or stole his lunch money.

The only thing I vaguely remember about SA2 was that you played as Sonic's shitty friends far more than you did as Sonic, and for a game called "Sonic" Adventure 2, that's pretty much unforgivable. But I do take exception to your assertion that the music was obnoxious; it was fucking awesome!
Mama Robotnik doesn't like any 3D Sonic game very much, and provides some rather good, rather verbose, reasons for it when prompted, even if I generally disagree with them. It all comes down to a matter of taste, really. And in Mama's defense, the SA games don't hold up today as much as they did before, imo.

It only hurts because deep down, you know it to be true.
Sciz... *crosses arms*

Can we at least agree that the SA1 version of It Doesn't Matter is the better out of the two?

SA2 version of it doesn't matter is so unmemorable I only remember like the first 10 seconds and nothing more and i'm someone who worryingly remembers the team sonic theme from heroes.

SA1 version is the best kind of cheese.

Can we at least agree that the SA1 version of It Doesn't Matter is the better out of the two?
I can agree with that.

SA2's version wasn't bad, though. Certainly much much much much much much much much much much better than its version of "Believe in Myself". All those unnecessary pauses! All those lines that are simultaneously too short to fill the entire bar, yet long enough that they have to be rushed through just to reach the point where they become too short! It's an utter trainwreck of a song whose only saving grace is that the instrumental isn't too bad.

MormaPope

Banned
Sega needs to release Shenmue 1&2 as a complete package for $15 or $20, that would be really rad.

Grandia 2 on XBLA or steam would also really awesome.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The SA2 version truly lacks the pep and guitar/bass guitar prowess that the original had. I understand that it's because--like the rest of the SA2 soundtrack was intended to be--that was one of the genres of music that was huge at the time (at least where I live).

But the SA2 version is just so boring, even if the bass is kind of fun to focus on. The vocals aren't as strong as they were in the SA1 version at all.

Green Scar said:
At least SA2's version of It Doesn't Matter gave us this.
Good point. If Black Knight has anything going for it, it has the soundtrack.

I'm stubborn and I want to have my own way. :p

If its $10 or less with some nice extras like widescreen mode etc I can definitely see myself buying it. A bit of an aged experience, despite this it has a ton of charm and nostalgia from me.

What a biased review. Most of it is just not true:

Sonic Adventure 2: Battle is indeed improved over the Dreamcast incarnation in terms of visuals. Textures have been slightly improved (even redesigned completely) and Sonic Team has even revamped some of the geometry, adding in new objects such as trees and other foliage.

NGC lacks selfshadowing (great tech achievement for 2001), dumbed down lighting, misses some particles effects, and have the same textures.

SA2 is, tech wise, better than Adventure 1. Less ambitious at his level desing, but more polished too. I would love a SA1 version with the updated engine.

Problem is, it lost first adventure charm, and started the shitty modern Sonic stuff. You can see that at Sonic's belly, they inverted it from SA1 and classic Sonic, destroying, by the way, his legs:

936full-sonic-adventure-2-battle-screenshot-448x275.jpg

OST is much better at 1. There is a lot more of diversity. It's like no one directed Senoue this time, and he just wrote a lot of too similar tunes. I'm just unable to recognize any Rouge level by it's music. It have a lot of greats tunes, anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6wvK14QWhU

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcxNwdZlQT8 (If they don't remove it from the game...)

That's an unremixed tune from SA1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TP7Rc0ggGc

Oh fuck, I'm sounding too Sonic nerdish right now. Time to kill some Boomas at PSO2.

Top Bottom