• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Vote Will Be Held on Graham Cassidy Bill

abundant

Their base is heavily for this.

They want ACA gone because they believe it's terrible because that's what Fox News and right wing radio have been telling them since 2009.

It's in the polling, it's not just donors pushing this.

The latest poll for the Graham-Cassidy Bill had 46% Reps Approval, with 54% Disapproving/Undecided.

Sure, but this is Lindsey Graham and Mitch McConnell, not Donald Trump. I don't see him doing it, particularly when they've had plenty of time (this congress took office nearly nine months ago with an incoming president that would sign anything to kill Obamacare) and have failed at every attempt. They just don't have the votes.

I'm not as convinced. If that's the only road they have, I don't have much faith they won't try.

The latest poll for the Graham-Cassidy Bill had 46% Reps Approval, with 54% Disapproving/Undecided.

I have it at 47/53, with the majority of that 53% being undecided, though.

From one of my prior posts, related to PPP poling (I believe it was PPP):

Among Rs

ACA Approval: 24% (67% disapprove, 9% not sure)
Generic Repeal Approval: 64% (34% keep and fix)
Graham-Cassidy Approval: 47% (32% not sure, just 21% disapprove)
If member of congress voted for G-C: 23% less likely to support, 38% more likely, 28% no difference, 11% not sure

hqdefault.jpg

Their base is heavily for this.

They want ACA gone because they believe it's terrible because that's what Fox News and right wing radio have been telling them since 2009.

It's in the polling, it's not just donors pushing this.

Primary voters maybe, but not the greater republican base.

All of these repeal and replace plans poll around 20 percent.

GC is only polling as high as it is because people don't know what's in this bill because it's only been a thing for a handful of days and nobody's done any real messaging about what sin the bill because it was already DOA.

Primary voters maybe, but not the greater republican base.

All of these repeal and replace plans poll around 20 percent.

Primary voters are the main threat to Republicans, however. The vast majority of them are not in competitive districts. Their chief concern is surviving a primary challenge from someone even crazier.

BajiBoxer

Banned
I remain scared that eventually they'll ram something through, but this is a great victory. Be nice if we had a government dedicated to improving the flawed system we have instead of actively trying to make it worse.

Yeah, have to get through another year of this bullshit, and hope for a "blue wave" in the 2018 elections.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
You could see the southern charm slowly slip off Grahams face during yesterdays debate. Its as if he was hearing the arguments against his bill for the very first time.

I eagerly await the impending tweetstorm.
It shall be glorious.
Who knows, maybe he won't tweet about the NFL...

The GOP did NOT want healthcare to be a 2018 Election issue.
This was supposed to have been done months ago.
Can't wait for the tearing of robes and gnashing of teeth.

Not from the US:

Are most republican voters who are dying to get rid of Obamacare just racist fucks who hates the healthcare law because it was pushed by the first and only black POTUS? Do they even understand that their own healthcare will probably be negatively affected by whatever replacement bill the republicans are pushing?

Seems really unbelievable to me.

BriGuy

In a country where Trump gets elected after all the crap he's done and said, I have no doubt the GOP could pass a No More Kittens or Puppies law during midterms and get reelected just fine.
Yeah, conventional wisdom had lit dynamite shoved up its butt. You can't look to how things were done in the past to predict how things will proceed on Mr. Trump's Wild Ride™

Not from the US:

Are most republican voters who are dying to get rid of Obamacare just racist fucks who hates the healthcare law because it was pushed by the first and only black POTUS? Do they even understand that their own healthcare will probably be negatively affected by whatever replacement bill the republicans are pushing?

Fox News is a 24/7 lie factory, that constantly sells Republicans a bill of goods that has them rooting for the worst shit for them.

They have no idea what's even in the bill, they just know "OBAMACARE/OBAMA MUST BE DESTROYED" because that's the message that was pounded into their heads for seven years. If we could destroy Fox News and Breitbart and these horrific propaganda machines, America would probably be moving in a really great direction, or certainly better.

If the bill only applied to Republicans, I would have been all for it passing.

Yes, yes, and very clearly no.

Time to do this all over again in two weeks

The parliamentary rule allowing budget reconciliation with 51 votes expires on the 30th.
Any new bill after Friday will need 60 votes.
It's back to the drawing board.

Right now, the fear is Trump further sabotaging the ACA in its current state.

Fox News is a 24/7 lie factory, that constantly sells Republicans a bill of goods that has them rooting for the worst shit for them.

They have no idea what's even in the bill, they just know "OBAMACARE/OBAMA MUST BE DESTROYED" because that's the message that was pounded into their heads for seven years. If we could destroy Fox News and Breitbart and these horrific propaganda machines, America would probably be moving in a really great direction, or certainly better.

If the bill only applied to Republicans, I would have been all for it passing.

You can't blame it all on Fox News being a lie factory. Fox News didn't teach them to be racist fucks, which is a huge part of why they feel like obamacare needs to be destroyed.

Canklestank

Neo Member
Not from the US:

No, at least not in my experience. I live in a very red (Republican) state. Our insurance premiums have gone up a lot since the ACA passed. Everyone I know that's against it is against it because insurance has become extremely expensive. A lot of this was exacerbated by our state refusing to expand Medicaid and federal funding. Granted, our state is the absolute worst at budgeting and is terribly run, so most of it is misplaced blame, imo.

And then there's Fox News, like another poster pointed out. My Dad told me that the ACA has buried doctors in paperwork. He argues that that's raising prices of healthcare for hospitals and large practices while snuffing out small-town doctors and private practices. He was actually saying that people in rural communities are receiving worse healthcare because of the ACA because of all the practices closing, forcing them to drive further to receive medical attention. Now, I don't know if any of that is true, but my gut tells me that's a Fox News talking point that's he's parroting. He genuinely wants something better for everyone.

I want to make it clear that I'm not saying that there aren't a massive number of racist GOP voters out there that just want Obama's name erased from history. They exist and this whole Trump era has opened my eyes to how many racist people are out there. But in my experience, most people I know that are against the ACA just want cheaper insurance. That doesn't mean they're for any of the solutions the GOP has come up with, either, btw.

That's my perspective after talking to people about this.

So, is Dean Heller just giving up any chance of re-election at this point? Actively prolonging the healthcare debate and aligning himself strongly with the repeal crowd is not going to play well in Nevada.

*whisper* he has to survive a primary first

What you might end up with is a bunch of repeal efforts through the spring that taper off and/or meet greater resistance as more people transition to the general.

Zubz

Banned

This is why I refuse to get too excited by moments like these. So long as they have majority, this is still on the table, & other less-spotlighted shit gets passed because it's not controversial enough to turn any of the 3 usual votes against ACA Repeal away (Regardless of how devastating it is).

That said, I'm glad this is going to be harder to pass for the remainder of the year. But if they can slip it into something else, it's still a possibility. We need to stay vigilant & active here.

GOP officials: We are going to intentionally destroy the market to kill Obama Care

Next Year: ObamaCare market collapsing

GOP Voter: SEE?!

Ominym

Banned
GOP won't try again in 2018 with midterms. This was it.

I'll take this bet. They will almost assuredly try this again and again as their base thrives on it.

Whether or not the rest of the country is willing to tolerate it is another question entirely, which I hope they aren't and we get a great turnout at midterms.

It’s astonishing that they campaigned on this for 7 years and nobody even put together a framework for a replacement. Words can’t do justice to the incompetence of these legislators. This is why ideologues are dangerous. And the voting public is probably too stupid to realize it so no price will be paid.

You can't blame it all on Fox News being a lie factory. Fox News didn't teach them to be racist fucks, which is a huge part of why they feel like obamacare needs to be destroyed.
I would argue that Fox News has absolutely taught a large percentage of its viewers to be racist. Between it and Rush Limbaugh, my mother has absolutely been converted into an absolute deplorable.

I would argue that Fox News has absolutely taught a large percentage of its viewers to be racist. Between it and Rush Limbaugh, my mother has absolutely been converted into an absolute deplorable.

Eh I'd argue that people who watched Fox News and Rush Limbaugh were already racist to begin with.

JettDash

I was never worried that this shit would pass.

It’s astonishing that they campaigned on this for 7 years and nobody even put together a framework for a replacement. Words can’t do justice to the incompetence of these legislators. This is why ideologues are dangerous. And the voting public is probably too stupid to realize it so no price will be paid.

It is impossible to craft a bill that is to the right of Obamacare and better. They were counting on Hillary winning and saving them from having to do anything.

Top Bottom