• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How well do you think Mass Effect: Andromeda will sell?

RulkezX

That against column is like the perfect example of shit no one cares about and why predicting AAA sales threads have been a comedy goldmine since the legendary Watchdogs 1 sales thread.

Normal people aren't out there agonising over their purchase because they saw a stiff animation or because jaded "core" gamers don't like it.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I was a HUGE fan of the original ME, and ME2, and ME3 was... okay? okayish?

And Andromeda is doing absolutely nothing for me so far. I haven't seen anything that gets me hyped about the characters or story.And so many little niggles in their presentation and marketing so far that have made me feel cautious rather than hyped.

I think it's the fact that DA: Inquisition was such a massive let-down, following the mediocre ME3, that my faith in Bioware has been extremely diminished.

I still can't fathom the high praise that DA:I got. So many terrible design decisions. The design of the war room, resource-gating levels, those massive, empty environments, the terrible story decisions... it was like a good 15 hour game stretched into a 60 hour chore.

Andodalf

Banned
Big launch, maybe 3 mil, 4.5 by months end, 8 mil Total by years end? but I think it'll have solid legs before being on EA access, when tons of people will play it for free.

Lime

In terms of reception, just wait until the game launches and the marketing hype machine is in full effect, you'll see many people on GAF suddenly changing their minds (due to hype) and then when the honeymoon period is over, people will get a more sober and wholesome look at the game.

In terms of sasles, it's one of the few AAA sci-fi rpgs so I guess it'll do well, but I'm not particularly sure what's new or unique about it for it to sell well beyond the Mass Effect consumer base. Except for the new mechanics and gameplay systems, the planets and the races seem very unintriguing and safe.

wapplew

Biggest launch of the series. Reason, it's been a while since the last one, not much game like it on the market.
Biggest reason of all, always bet against GAF.

I don't think it will sell great, there're too many games atm out...Nioh, Nier, Horizon etc....It will just sell good enough I guess?

Whales

Banned
It's going to do very well. Gaf is one of the only places who shits and has so much negativity against this game for some reason

Kill3r7

We know that ME3 sold around 6M copies LTD. So LTD slightly above that would be my guess 6.5M-7M. I do wonder if it will be able to sell better than Wildlands which right now appears to be the best selling game this quarter and probably the first half of the year.

kadotsu

Banned
It will outsell Inquisition. It will also make way more money because the shooter audience is more comfortable with microtransactions in multiplayer. Critically and reception by the fanbase, I have no idea.

prag16

Banned
I think most of the "negatives" are overblown and unlikely to have a massive impact. The yelling is loud in places like /v/ and gaf. But slightly more mainstream indicators like Reddit (while having yelling) are skewed more positively, and youtube comments and like/dislike ratios seem good.

The competition claim is especially suspect. Zelda has some overlap, but Nier, Nioh, and Persona are all niche compared to Mass Effect (especially in the west). Horizon is a big one with great word of mouth and a large marketing push, but it's only on one platform.

Minimum 4 million, good reviews + WOM (best case) 10 million over its lifetime across all three platforms.

This sounds reasonable. I think it'll outsell Inquisition but possibly not massively. There will probably be a loud vocal minority as with all Bioware games, but I expect a good critical reception (85-90 metascore range).

blakep267

Really well actually. People are hungry for new games and I see it getting the same kinda boost that ghost recon got. Also it has a multiplayer component that should extend its life

And it should have long legs because there's nothing else really releasing the next few months aside from injustice

Also lol at thinking Horizon or Zelda are going to affect ME in any way. It's going to blow both of those games away sales wise

Rad-

I don't know, Mass Effect is a "well there's nothing else coming out, guess I'll resort to this and it will be okay" type of series. The fact that there are plenty of great games coming out means I don't have to give ME much thought. That's just anecdotal of course.

Yes the series that has metacritic ratings of 96 (ME2), 93 (ME3) and 91 (ME1) for its titles is a "well there's nothing else coming out, guess I'll resort to this and it will be okay" type of series.

Not that I agree with that ME3 average but the other two are pretty much spot on.

Mindwipe

I think it'll do a little worse than 3. So below expectations but mildly so.

Calendar is pretty busy atm, I think the marketing has been a bit off, I'm not convinced they have a genuinely interesting new hook, and ultimately I think the public perception of being "that series that famously shit the bed" is really harmful in the market.

If the multiplayer goes big that might cancel those out though.

geordiemp

Insanely strong competition from Zelda, Horizon, Nier, Torment, etc

LOL, you realy think Mass Effect sales are impacted by the above games.

Just about as accurate as Gafs read on Ghost recon sales.

Mass effect is as popular for its multiplayer as it is for its RPG, and its a shooter at heart.

Prediction - it will easily top all of the above listed games, they are not competition - competition would be Ghost Recon etc.

Critically who cares, critics are so far up their own arses except for Jim fucking sterling son

xam3l

I'm also positive that it will do great. And I understand all the fears around the success of the game.

But legit question here, why do people care so much about how much it sells? Dos it really influence how much an individual will care or enjoy the game?

fbutron

Put me in the camp of selling less than ME 3, reviews may be lower than expected and the bad ending in 3 will put off some gamers.

Personally will wait for reviews and finishing Nier and Horizon (so maybe i'll bite when 40 USD)

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
The only game that is a threat to Andromeda is Horizon and the release gap between those two is almost a month. Zelda is on consoles that most people don't own it.

prag16

Banned
The only game that is a threat to Andromeda is Horizon and the release gap between those two is almost a month. Zelda is on consoles that most people don't own it.

Three week gap, but also only on one platform. That's a major factor too. As great as they may be for some people, yeah, games like Persona, Nier, and Nioh aren't worth mentioning here as direct competition.

I'm also positive that it will do great. And I understand all the fears around the success of the game.

But legit question here, why do people care so much about how much it sells? Dos it really influence how much an individual will care or enjoy the game?

Only reason I would care about sales is that they get to keep making the games they want to make.

Cimarron

It mattera to some because if it sells well and they like it the developers are more likely going to be able to get sufficient funding for more games in the series.

HvySky

It'll probably do very well. It's a new entry in the Mass Effect franchise backed by super publisher EA. While GAF loses its collective shit over some wonky animations, nobody else will care and buy it regardless.

Strakt

I know im def gonna hit up the 10h trial this week and base my decision off that

Glad they are doing it. Shows that they are confident in their game.

xam3l

It mattera to some because if it sells well and they like it the developers are more likely going to be able to get sufficient funding for more games in the series.

Only reason I would care about sales is that they get to keep making the games they want to make.

Well, while i'm aware of that I didn't put that into the equation. I'm looking forward for this one game, not for the next one. And the next, etc.

Madness

Strong competition from Horizon, Nier and Zelda? What? Mass Effect won't even be available on Switch, and the rest are exclusives while Mass Effect is a multiplatform. You could say that people who recently purchased Horizon and Nier on PS4 may not have money to purchase Mass Effect or have to choose between those games, but I think ME will go unchallenged when it releases. I say 3-4 million plus and #1 NPD when it releases.

spekkeh

Banned
2M in one month, 5M at the end of its life including price cuts.

Too much competition, bad PR means disappointing sales.

spekkeh

Banned
Strong competition from Horizon, Nier and Zelda? What? Mass Effect won't even be available on Switch, and the rest are exclusives while Mass Effect is a multiplatform. You could say that people who recently purchased Horizon and Nier on PS4 may not have money to purchase Mass Effect or have to choose between those games, but I think ME will go unchallenged when it releases. I say 3-4 million plus and #1 NPD when it releases.
Nobody has just a Switch though. Right now it exclusively sold to core gamers, who will already have a PC, PS4 or Xbox. So those two million players definitely cut into ME's chances.

theultimo

Currently replaying ME3 in 4k/60, to brush up on lore mostly. i will buy ME:A just because i have been a ME fan since the 360 release, but i hope it sells enough that EA doesnt drop the franchise.

Madeupfred

Neo Member
That against column is like the perfect example of shit no one cares about and why predicting AAA sales threads have been a comedy goldmine since the legendary Watchdogs 1 sales thread.

*looking at an unlabeled line graph* Whoa dude ahahahahahah. Holy shit take a look at this *loudly bites into apple* ohhhh ahahahahah wow. Holy shit. Comedy gold my friend.

I think it will do better than ME3.

I think there are two audiences. There is one that I feel like is "everyone" who's into Mass Effect. They like the RPG stuff in it. They really like the story. They did or didn't take issue with the ending of ME3 but at the least they get why people would care about the story in a Mass Effect game.

Then there are the people I keep stumbling across off sites like this. Like my friend's brother who loved ME3, only played ME3, exclusively played multiplayer, and refers to everything else as "stupid shit that makes the game dumb". I don't know how big this audience is, but for what that group cares about, every ME game has gotten noticeably better.

I suspect the second group might be the larger, less vocal one. They might show up in large numbers because ME3 + open world + cooler combat is a no brainer. It's like a Borderlands game with Wildlands graphics set on the Horizon planet but with multiplayer.

Retrofluxed

its going to sell like hotcackes..thats not the question. the question is if its going ot be a good game or not. games sell in the millions and they are not even good sometimes.

Actually, that is the question... God damn.

I believe it will eventually sell around 6.5 to 7 millions copies.

Also, anyone believing Nier is even a blip on the radar for "casual" video game fans, needs to get out of the Neogaf bubble once in a while.

martino

Some crystal ball fun time, how well do you think MEA will sell? Myself I'm guessing launch sales bigger than DAI but overall be a mild internal disappointment, maybe around half of Witcher 3. I really don't remember which game had so much apathy and antipathy built up before launch, this all seems unprecedented.

Things going for it
Loyal ME fanbase
Unique setting and subgenre combination that no games match
Carry-forward goodwill from ME3: Multiplayer
Something for Xbox One action RPG fans

Things against
Lukewarm to negative reception from core gamers to marketing materials
Animation fiasco surpassed ACU meme levels
RPG fan antipathy to Bioware (especially from RPG Codex)
General core gamer antipathy to EA and Origin
Serious genre fatigue
Insanely strong competition from Zelda, Horizon, Nier, Torment, etc
Massive overhang from ME3 ending disappointment

Don't go elsewhere but the huge nitpicking for bad is not a gaf only things for the game ?

Gaz_RB

OP have you ever seen a Bioware game not sell well? Mainstream loves them and whatever you hear on GAF does not represent possible sales.

Ralemont

not me
Seems to be tracking well on Amazon. Deluxe Edition is at #2 in ps4 games and standard is #5.

Kind of weird the deluxe edition is outselling the standard, lol.

prag16

Banned
Don't go elsewhere but the huge nitpicking for bad is not a gaf only things for the game ?

It's not gaf only, but gaf and /v/ are the only places I've seen that it's nearly so intense. Reddit is more of a mixed bag and other places are far more positive.

shandy706

It's not gaf only, but gaf and /v/ are the only places I've seen that it's nearly so intense. Reddit is more of a mixed bag and other places are far more positive.

Among my friends (and two grown brothers) I've never heard any of them complain about ME3. My youngest brother pre-ordered on my Amazon account while I was at his house Saturday evening. I saw him looking at ME:A and asked if he was going to get it. He said yes, and I offered my Prime discount.

He played through ME 1-3 over the last 2 months for the 3rd or 4th time, and can't wait for the new game. The conversations I have had with him about them has shown me he doesn't have the same negative views about ME3 or the new game. He doesn't play many games (mostly PC strategy/city/world building games), Mass Effect/RPGs, and a couple MMOs.

He's not the Gaf surfing/owning every system person like me. I'd put him in the casual/core area.

I suspect it will sell pretty well. The negative reception of preview footage seems to be entirely rooted in messageboards which doesn't represent the wider audience. Everyone I've spoken who doesn't frequent video game messageboards has been very excited for it.

Top Bottom