• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How well do you think Mass Effect: Andromeda will sell?

butman

What is this animation fiasco?

tumblr_ohl5rqfodC1qj73soo1_250.gif

tumblr_ohjj0pqJV91r5neevo2_500.gif

Crawl

I think the game will review well. However like Dragon Age inquisition I think the game will not sell to EA's expectations. As in capping out at like 1.5-2mil copies in 1 month before being heavily discounted. And the franchises future being in jeopardy much like dragon age. Have we heard anything else about inquistions sales or the longterm future of dragon age since?

Ahasverus

I think it's going to be a Titanfall 2 situation. A steep decline, but enough loyalists to not make it a failure. Only no true mainstream appeal.

Game looks too damn generic, inambitious and graphically underwhelming

ironcreed

Banned
It's Mass Effect, so it will do well. Most people outside of GAF do not give a rat's ass about a bit of jank here and there in a BioWare game. On the whole the game looks fantastic and will be fine.

I think the game will review well. However like Dragon Age inquisition I think the game will not sell to EA's expectations. As in capping out at like 1.5-2mil copies in 1 month before being heavily discounted. And the franchises future being in jeopardy much like dragon age. Have we heard anything else about inquistions sales or the longterm future of dragon age since?
Where'd you hear DAI not sell to their expectations? First I've heard of it. In fact it was the opposite: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=980633

And they're making another one.

The thirst is real from ME fans so they will eat it up. Not sure what the non ME fans will think. I am a fan but cautious and with Persona 5 coming I am glad of the 10 hour trial I have coming to see if I want to buy it or wait for a dry spell as lord knows we don't have one of those at the moment.

Van Bur3n

Some crystal ball fun time, how well do you think MEA will sell? Myself I'm guessing launch sales bigger than DAI but overall be a mild internal disappointment, maybe around half of Witcher 3. I really don't remember which game had so much apathy and antipathy built up before launch, this all seems unprecedented.

Things going for it
Loyal ME fanbase
Unique setting and subgenre combination that no games match
Carry-forward goodwill from ME3: Multiplayer
Something for Xbox One action RPG fans

Things against
Lukewarm to negative reception from core gamers to marketing materials
Animation fiasco surpassed ACU meme levels
RPG fan antipathy to Bioware (especially from RPG Codex)
General core gamer antipathy to EA and Origin
Serious genre fatigue
Insanely strong competition from Zelda, Horizon, Nier, Torment, etc
Massive overhang from ME3 ending disappointment

Insanely strong competition? No doubt those games garner the critical acclaim they deserve, but Zelda and Horizon are exclusive titles to one platform, while Nier and Torment are pretty damn niche, let's be honest. Hell, I bet a majority of gamers don't even know the latter two exist.

Mass Effect being a popular AAA franchise in the gaming industry with a large fan base behind it and being available across all platforms, I can definitely see it outselling this "competition".

DonShula

I've seen no marketing for this in mainstream outlets. No buzz whatsoever. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.

Unless it's exceptional, it's not going to get word of mouth. If you liked the last three you probably already know about it.

Maybe it'll be a long burn, but I don't see it charging out of the gate. Hard to tell at this time of year. I'm a ME fan and more forgiving of ME3 than most, and I have no intention of picking it up anytime soon.

Ralemont

not me
EA's expectations for the game are like 6m right? I think it'll get there. Maybe more of positive word of mouth helps it.

diaspora

Did someone just call Torment a ME competitor? Fucking lol.

It's a great game but it hardly works as a substitute for ME.

Some crystal ball fun time, how well do you think MEA will sell? Myself I'm guessing launch sales bigger than DAI but overall be a mild internal disappointment, maybe around half of Witcher 3. I really don't remember which game had so much apathy and antipathy built up before launch, this all seems unprecedented.

Things going for it
Loyal ME fanbase
Unique setting and subgenre combination that no games match
Carry-forward goodwill from ME3: Multiplayer
Something for Xbox One action RPG fans

Things against
Lukewarm to negative reception from core gamers to marketing materials
Animation fiasco surpassed ACU meme levels
RPG fan antipathy to Bioware (especially from RPG Codex)
General core gamer antipathy to EA and Origin
Serious genre fatigue
Insanely strong competition from Zelda, Horizon, Nier, Torment, etc
Massive overhang from ME3 ending disappointment
-I got no reason to believe it'll have lukewarm to negative reception. every single main ME game is critically acclaimed.
-animation is kind of a fuss but not enough to affect the game's performance i don't think
-genre fatigue? you mean arpgs? nah. well, maybe, if you're talking recent history but the games are so diverse i don't think it matters.
-the strong competition isn't necessarily a bad thing. zelda & horizon are both top sellers, I dunno how nier is selling if it is even out yet but i don't think anyone's gonna not buy it coz one game is better than the other, unless money is involved
-that last one is still hitting me, for sure. it's one reason why i'm not super hyped for this game like i was for Yakuza 0, or Uncharted 4 last year, or Persona 5 later this year

LKSmash

Insanely strong competition? No doubt those games garner the critical acclaim they deserve, but Zelda and Horizon are exclusive titles to one platform, while Nier and Torment are pretty damn niche, let's be honest. Hell, I bet a majority of gamers don't even know the latter two exist.

Mass Effect being a popular AAA franchise in the gaming industry with a large fan base behind it and being available across all platforms, I can definitely see it outselling this "competition".

Thank you. The mental gymnastics people go through to try and justify why something they don't want to sell well, won't sell well, is truly incredible. It was the same with Ghost Recon and it's been arguably worse with Andromeda.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I think it's going to do ~5 million at the low end (all platforms), but with good WOM and build up over the year, it could get to 10 million lifetime I reckon.

Horizon is the closest competitor, and people are finishing that just about when ME:A drops: in a way, perfect timing.

Space RPGs that are AAA don't come around very often.....that's a massive factor IMO.

daveo42

Banned
It'll sell gangbusters because it's a new Mass Effect game. It won't sell Fallout or GTAV numbers, but it'll probably sell 5+ million in March + Aprli.

Lister

Banned
I don't know...

I'm very down on what I've seen on it. The writing goes from uninteresting and bland to bad, to inane. Coming from games like Pillars of Eternity and Torment, this is some huge drop in the quality of the story in terms of the Bioware pedigree. Again, this is based on the marketing material so far. Maybe the game turns out to be another Baldur's Gate 2, but I doubt it.

Once again, going from the marketing, they are certainly emphasizing thing sI personally consider boring - typical open world cliches like roaming around large areas looking for mining resources. Where's the narrative agency? It's what defined Bioware once, it's what they truly attempted in the AAA space with the original Mass Effect series. Maybe it turns out Ubisoft game design stuff is in the periphery and narrative agency and cool things to discover and explore are the actual focus lost in the marketing, but I'm doubting it.

Combat looks boring. Now I've said goodbye to the awesome party tactics of previous Bioware games when it comes ot their latest stuff anyway. They're obviously not interested. And let's be honest, third person cover shooters never look interesting when you watch them. PLAYING them, asusming some competent AI, can be a lot fo fun.

This game might feature really cool combat mechanics, lots of fun flanking and space traversal and challenging, unique, and fun enemies to engage who hopefulyl aren't just boring bullet sponges. But I'm doubting it.

At the same time, Bioware AAA games tend to offer something smaller scale games don't. A big, meaty scifi/fantasy world that is show cased with technology and development man power not available to the likes of say Obsidian.

I'll definitely try it on the Origin Insider program thingy, and I'd be genuinely surprised if I don't end up picking it up even if most of my criticims above end up being on the mark (though probably not if ALL of them are).

But I doubt most people are as picky about their RPG experiences as I am, so I don't see this type of marketing doing anything but improving sales.

My guess is it does better than DA:I.

xealo

How do you figure there's "genre fatigue" for ME:A? Its been 5 years since me3, and western AAA rpgs isnt very crowded at all.

Not Halo or COD but pretty good probably. Outside the GAF bubble, Mass Effect is popular.

Lol at Nier and Tides of Numenara as major competition for a AAA BioWare game. On here maybe but not in the real world.

Revas

I think it's going to be a Titanfall 2 situation. A steep decline, but enough loyalists to not make it a failure. Only no true mainstream appeal.

Game looks too damn generic, inambitious and graphically underwhelming

I really can't see this happening. I haven't been impressed by the game thus far, but Mass Effect has strong mainstream presence. As long as it reviews along the same lines as the previous games it'll sell well.

How do you figure there's "genre fatigue" for ME:A? Its been 5 years since me3, and western AAA rpgs isnt very crowded at all.
Yeh makes no sense, been a long time since Ive played ME or a game like it. Last time I went to space was ME3 :/

How much does the Horizon/Zelda demographic overlap with ME? I can't imagine those players having enough time for another game right now.

Outside of a few of my hardcore gamer friends who generally aren't shooter fans and the GAF nitpick brigade, I haven't heard a lot of antipathy for ME:A. I think it'll sell very well, and meet expectations, but not exceed them. I don't know what actual numbers will look like, though. I don't usually get into the numbers game.

Hard to say. I will say that, at least for me, it sure doesn't feel like a new ME game is out in a week. As a big fan they haven't been able to get me excited.

If it comes out and everyone gushes on it, that'll help a lot. If not, well, we'll see.

eizarus

Banned
It well sell gangbusters. Big budget space adventure in a time where space adventures are back in media limelight (just look at all the space movies we're getting lately). Plus it's a long-awaited sequel in a well-known IP.

As someone in the GHost Recon sales thread said, give people a big open world, fun shooty shooty bangbang, and good graphics and the general public will buy it. (GAF doesn't represent the general public at all in that regard).

Carlius

Banned
its going to sell like hotcackes..thats not the question. the question is if its going ot be a good game or not. games sell in the millions and they are not even good sometimes.

I have no idea how it'll wind up selling, besides at least clearing 1-2 million in the first two weeks. I think that MEA has a lot of baggage to overcome, mostly lingering doubts caused by the ME3 ending fiasco and a godawful media campaign prior to the last few weeks. But I think EA/Origin Access availability could help, since there's more opportunities for gameplay footage to get out there, especially for the multiplayer, which was widely regarded as the best thing about ME3. So if there's a strong MP showing on Twitch and YouTube, they might get a boost from there.

Top Bottom