• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU Remastered: 30 fps option gives better shadow quality [Up: Comparison GIF in OP]

Synless

Keep in mind Halo 2 came out on the original Xbox.

The real comparison would be to look at Halo 4 running in the Master Chief Collection.

That is not a comparison either. Halo 2 is the only one getting special treatment and Halo 4 is just getting a framerate and resolution bump. TLoU is getting improvements across the board as well as the resolution and framerate bump.

SerTapTap

A list of the graphical improvements should be added to OP or something. You'd swear it was literally pixel-by-pixel identical except from either 60 FPS or better shadows the way people are posting in this thread.

I'm having a hard time understanding some of the people in this thread.

Every game that runs at 60 fps could look better if it ran at 30 fps.

Targeting 60 fps takes up resources that could be used for other visual elements (like, say, shadows or anti-aliasing) at 30 fps.

Seems pretty obvious, but it sounds like some people think that this game only looks better at 30 fps because it gives the player the option to switch between it and 60 fps. Just because a game runs at 60 and doesn't allow switching to 30 doesn't mean that it couldn't look better at 30.

It'll still look good at 60 fps, I'm sure of it. It'll look a little better at 30, but why wouldn't it? It's running at half the frame-rate.

This thread does show why most developers aim for 30 fps, though.

I don't know why this isn't absolutely obvious. It actually even refers to this in the article.

what's the dilema here? pc gamers have always lowered shadow quality if it means 60fps gameplay, people that wanted 60fps will stick to it.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Well, this pic was taken using the unpatched version:

xdsnaqljkt2.jpg

Really, how much better shadows could look than this? Unless they upped the shadow quality here since not a lot of geometry and so on. But I guess not.

If that's how it's going to look, 30 FPS shouldn't be that much better I believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmAFhQmuBD4&list=UU-2Y8dQb0S6DtpxNgAKoJKA

Go to 1:24 of that, and look at the pillar where you can see shadows from the leaves. They are pretty jaggy (as one would expect) but maybe ones like that are more smoothed out?

Corpekata

Banned
Shadows seem like a questionable reason to switch. High quality textures, maybe. But if there's a setting I'm going to tweak lower for higher FPS, (besides turning crap like motion blur off), shadows is often the first to be sacrificed.

But it is pretty cool that a console game is offering the choice.

Sean*O

Concern trolling ground zero, this thread. At least they give the option to use the system to the fullest whichever mode you choose.

Majanew

Banned

xdsnaqljkt2.jpg

Really, how much better shadows could look than this? Unless they upped the shadow quality here since not a lot of geometry and so on. But I guess not.

If that's how it's going to look, 30 FPS shouldn't be that much better I believe.

We'll have to see when you're outside walking around, and how the shadows look a little farther away.

xdsnaqljkt2.jpg

They could be softer

Peterthumpa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmAFhQmuBD4&list=UU-2Y8dQb0S6DtpxNgAKoJKA

Go to 1:24 of that, and look at the pillar where you can see shadows from the leaves. They are pretty jaggy (as one would expect) but maybe ones like that are more smoothed out?

Yup, noticed it a few minutes ago. But isn't the patch the same one carrying Photo Mode? If that's true, this video was recorded at 60 PFS. Or maybe at 30 FPS, but even that way, "secondary" shadows like those from the leaves aren't smoothed out.

If you move through a game very slowly, it actually adds very little. Like if you just walk forward slowly through a game like this, anyone would struggle to even tell a difference in framerate. For a more hectic action when you run and swing camera all over the place, it of course adds a lot.

If you move slowly the difference will be noticeable, as the video will stutter in 30 fps.

[IMG ]http://abload.de/img/xdsnaqljkt2.jpg[/IMG]

variable penumbra

example from Crysis 2 dx11 patch : http://international.download.nvidi...images/articles/crysis2uu/PenumbraShadows.gif

SerTapTap

So you are saying PCs are not powerful enough to do 60 fps with better shadows?

"Better shadows" is not a binary switch you flip and not the only change in the remaster. You could have 8k internal resolution shadows and bring a Titan to it's knees. This is not something where "better shadows" is this super simple, super binary thing that every game absolutely must have.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
what's the dilema here? pc gamers have always lowered shadow quality if it means 60fps gameplay, people that wanted 60fps will stick to it.

But PC gamers can spend money to get both 60fps *and* the highest detail settings. Which is obviously an unrealistic situation for a fixed spec platform like a console

entremet

60FPS actually effects game play and responsiveness.

I'll never understand anyone picking 30FPS when 60FPS is an option.

I seriously doubt the enhanced shadows will be worth the gameplay hit.

I dont mind 30FPS at all it really doesnt make a difference to me. Yeah 60FPS is cool and all but 30FPS doesnt take away from the experience at all. I will definitely put 30FPS mode on so I can get those shinies.

imtehman

Banned
How's Titanfall resolution going after the 10% boost?

For those that don't know, this poster is a casual troll on PS threads.

LOL wtf

what is wrong with wondering why TLoU, a last gen title made on a system that is 7 years old, can't do 60fps and ultra shadows or whatever.

and mention titanfall when i never played titanfall, never post in titanfall threads or anything and when i..

CcjZq1F.jpg

and

all these screenshots makes me so hyped to play the game again when it comes out, like real actual hype for a game i already beat and enjoyed, wtf

WELP, found a friend who has a copy of TloU and is willing to part with it, looks like i'll be double dipping for ps4

smh

It's weird. Most people are up in arms over this while I expected people to be excited.

Having a console game that allows you to select FPS is a fairly recent and uncommon occurrence. To actually increase quality when resources have been shifted is pretty awesome and I'm assuming took some time for ND to develop.

I also assume that the shadows are going to be more prominent in areas where the flashlight is used. Seems like that would be pretty intensive in a 60fps environment.

viveks86

"Better shadows" is not a binary switch you flip and not the only change in the remaster. You could have 8k internal resolution shadows and bring a Titan to it's knees. This is not something where "better shadows" is this super simple, super binary thing that every game absolutely must have.

I don't think I'm teh man you should be responding to ;)

Better shadows are not going to half the performance, it seems that game is not hitting 60 FPS as often. Best case scenario is that it runs like TB.

The more I think about the remaster the more I realize that not a lot of effort was put into this, other remasters like TB had massive visual jump over the last gen version + 50 FPS on average. This remaster improves some stuff here and there, nothing major and it still leaves performance drops from 60 FPS.

border

but the game does run at a smooth 60FPS.

"If you decide to play without the 30 FPS lock, the framerate may dip below 60 during certain sections of the game. However, based upon our experience with the title today, we can say that if you are a fan of 60 FPS, you won’t be disappointed. "

Not really sure how to interpret that.

delta25

Banned
"If you decide to play without the 30 FPS lock, the framerate may dip below 60 during certain sections of the game. However, based upon our experience with the title today, we can say that if you are a fan of 60 FPS, you won’t be disappointed. "

Not really sure how to interpret that.

it means its not locked, and to expect a few drops here and there.

Better shadows are not going to half the performance, it seems that game is not hitting 60 FPS as often. Best case scenario is that it runs like TB.

The more I think about the remaster the more I realize that not a lot of effort was put into this, other remasters like TB had massive visual jump over the last gen version + 50 FPS on average. This remaster improves some stuff here and there, nothing major and it still leaves performance drops from 60 FPS.

Your crazy or don't know how expensive shadows can get .

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
If you move slowly the difference will be noticeable, as the video will stutter in 30 fps.
Imagine a hypothetical ad-absurdum situation in which you have a 30FPS visual of a single square moving one pixel per second. They the same thing at 60FPS. It would be literally impossible to tell what the framerate this runs at. Speed up the movement of the square enough and the distinction becomes very easy to make. This is what I'm saying. At slow enough movement speed, the difference becomes quite small, and proportionally larger the faster things start moving.

I'll take those nicer shadows
up the ass as my kitty shits on the wall
please.

figured that's why. I'm assuming vsync is also going to be enabled and have better IQ overall?

I don't understand how they can't get those better shadows in 60fps for a remaster if they are able to work that magic for Uncharted 4. Time constraints/engine limitations?

ChipotIe

Banned
LOL wtf

what is wrong with wondering why TLoU, a last gen title made on a system that is 7 years old, can't do 60fps and ultra shadows or whatever.

and mention titanfall when i never played titanfall, never post in titanfall threads or anything and when i..

and

smh

The PS3 version isn't running it at 1080p or with high resolution textures or 60 FPS. It does however have the benefit of 7 years worth of development optimizations regardless of how old the hardware is.

The PS4 version does run it at these specs and it is roughly 4-8 times more demanding - which it is accomplishing just fine. An amazing feat for a $400 machine.

Orayn

LOL wtf

"Ultra shadows" is an arbitrary term. The remastered version already has improved shadows over the original, but they're improved even more at 30 FPS because increasing the quality takes more rendering time.

So no, the PS4 is not powerful enough to do something that takes 33ms in a span of 16ms. It does not feature a flux capacitor that allows it to travel to the past so it can spend longer rendering.

Top Bottom