• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Captain Marvel movie might be better then me thought and more important

Slayven

Hey Slay,

Remember in Busiek's Avengers run when Carol gets drunk and tries to fly to the moon, only to realize she can't breathe in space?

Every....damn...day...

Remember when Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Hank Pym and Ironman sit her down to tell her she is fucked up

It was weird watching Scott Pilgrim again a few weeks ago and then I see Brie Larson and I'm like whoooooa, she was hiding in plain sight the whole time

both captains in there

giphy.gif

0gzAFCn.gif

Toa TAK

Banned
Hey Slay,

Remember in Busiek's Avengers run when Carol gets drunk and tries to fly to the moon, only to realize she can't breathe in space?

Are we gonna get 'Alcoholic Wreck Danvers' as Captain Marvel?

Every....damn...day...

Remember when Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Hank Pym and Ironman sit her down to tell her she is fucked up
Someone needs to make a "Best Hits" list of Carol's misadventures. Including the weird pregnancy... thing.

Akainu

Which I think would make for an interesting premise (basically Starbuck from BSG): Alcoholic hot mess fighter jet ace gets cosmic superpowers and teams up with her black best friend to save the world from shape shifting aliens.

Great more black sidekicks.

Slayven: CAPTAIN MARVEL SUCKS

Brie Larson:
vZkptI3.gif

Slayven: I love Captain Marvel, actually.

Is that supposed to be sexy?

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I was under the impression that this "phase" of the MCU was just a story playing out in a computer simulation for Kang the Conqueror. Marvel has been pushing Kang in video games (Lego MSH2) and on the Avengers cartoon. IIRC, Captain America screwed something up in his time period that caused something bad to happen in the future...
turns out Cap was a Skrull

Deepwater

Worse.
If you read Secret Invasion, the paranoia level is through the roof.

I did, but that doesn't really convince me that introducing "is so and so a skrull?" would be problematic for storytelling. If anything it just ramps up the fan engagement with the material like it did for Secret Invasion.

And even if it's not an active story element, they had a million and one opportunities to introduce at the very least the concept of them.

The Kree

Banned
I did, but that doesn't really convince me that introducing "is so and so a skrull?" would be problematic for storytelling. If anything it just ramps up the fan engagement with the material like it did for Secret Invasion.

And even if it's not an active story element, they had a million and one opportunities to introduce at the very least the concept of them.
I just mean like you have to undermine a lot of characters just to make it interesting. Comic readers can tolerate that stuff since we're used to status quo upsets.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Kind of like having everybody be a suspected neo nazi affiliate?

It's definitely a bigger mountain to climb. In the movies, everyone that's shown to be Hydra is already a dick and antagonistic towards our heroes. You can play around with the "Who's a Skrull?" thing for a little bit in a film, but eventually you'll have to just ease up and show who's good and who's bad.

Deepwater

It's definitely a bigger mountain to climb. In the movies, everyone that's shown to be Hydra is already a dick and antagonistic towards our heroes. You can play around with the "Who's a Skrull?" thing for a little bit in a film, but eventually you'll have to just ease up and show who's good and who's bad.

Agents of Shield made it pretty clear that whom and whom wasn't a Hydra agent was pretty hard to discern.

Like I said though, it would have made sense if Marvel utilized their shared universe better.

Someone needs to make a "Best Hits" list of Carol's misadventures. Including the weird pregnancy... thing.

Carol Danvers is fucked up.

Great more black sidekicks.

What if Nick Fury is the pepper to her salt in this buddy cop pairing and young Carol Danvers has got hot mess romance going on with a fresh Air Force dude named James Rhodes

don-cheadle-goat

"Goddammit Carol, you fucked up again."

It's the 90s, so an interracial coupling is very timely. Probably, I don't know.

Honestly, I don't know anything about Danvers other than 1) she's an alcoholic mess, 2) she had a thing with War Machine, and 3) she gave birth to her own arch-nemesis dad or some shit.

And she has a wicked costume

I was under the impression that this "phase" of the MCU was just a story playing out in a computer simulation for Kang the Conqueror. Marvel has been pushing Kang in video games (Lego MSH2) and on the Avengers cartoon. IIRC, Captain America screwed something up in his time period that caused something bad to happen in the future...
turns out Cap was a Skrull

Kang the Conquerer is a Fantastic Four character and thus can't be used in the MCU.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Kang the Conquerer is a Fantastic Four character and thus can't be used in the MCU.

Hmm. that's odd...why is Kang is in the new Lego game as the big boss if Marvel has this thing about not pushing properties they don't have the movie rights to.(see MvCI) He's also a thing in the current cartoon..a cartoon that went to great lengths to avoid using Dr. Doom in a super villain group.

Can someone give me a Carol Danvers 'Best Of' reading list, please?

I'm only familiar with the Ultimate version of her character and want to get caught up.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

I'm only familiar with the Ultimate version of her character and want to get caught up.

honestly you're better off just skipping comics Carol and reading Kamala Khan's Ms Marvel

the MCU version of Captain Marvel is essentially a new character using just the surface stuff from the comics (costume, powerset). Brie Larson, Nicole Perlman & Anna Boden will essentially create the character from scratch.

Cuburt

Kang going to do some time traveling.

I think there is a good chance Kang is dual owned since while it has been said that Kang is tied with Fantastic Four rights, he's been often thought of as primarily an Avengers villain. Marvel could have also negotiated for the rights with the trade that involved Ego and Negasonic, and likely seemed to have been involved with Fox getting access to X-Men television rights/co-production.

Let's be honest, Fox isn't going to do shit with most of the FF villains so they might as well get something for it. They'll hold on to Silver Surfer/Galactus/Doom, but Kang will sit on the shelf forever.

I'm thinking Kang might turn out to be one of those dual use characters like the Maximoff twins and the Skrulls.

Kang going to do some time traveling.

I think there is a good chance Kang is dual owned since while it has been said that Kang is tied with Fantastic Four rights, he's been often thought of as primarily an Avengers villain. Marvel could have also negotiated for the rights with the trade that involved Ego and Negasonic, and likely seemed to have been involved with Fox getting access to X-Men television rights/co-production.

Let's be honest, Fox isn't going to do shit with most of the FF villains so they might as well get something for it. They'll hold on to Silver Surfer/Galactus/Doom, but Kang will sit on the shelf forever.

I fucking hope so. Some of the best MCU-possible stories are fucked because of Kang & Annihilus.

Hmm. that's odd...why is Kang is in the new Lego game as the big boss if Marvel has this thing about not pushing properties they don't have the movie rights to.(see MvCI) He's also a thing in the current cartoon..a cartoon that went to great lengths to avoid using Dr. Doom in a super villain group.

I guess we'll see but Marvel is getting over their bullshit policies for games at least. Future Fight now features the X-Men and I wouldn't be surprised if X-Men and Doom show up in MvCI DLC.

Wait, Captain Marvel's going to be set in the 90s? Will there be a scene she goes into a coffee shop, orders one of those ridiculously LARGE coffee cups (the ones that look like large bowls with mug handles) while listening to some white dude with dreadlocks and in flannel on stage rhythmically spittin out a poem to a hip-hop beat?

LionPride

Banned
I'm not saying I want Kang as a villain for these movies if I can't get my nigga Victor von Doom but uh............

Wait, Captain Marvel's going to be set in the 90s? Will there be a scene she goes into a coffee shop, orders one of those ridiculously LARGE coffee cups (the ones that look like large bowls with mug handles) while listening to some white dude with dreadlocks and in flannel on stage rhythmically spittin out a poem to a hip-hop beat?

That shit can happen today fuck you mean lol

You can read KSD's run. It's ok. There's nothing inherently bad about it but there's nothing really there that shows you why she's Marvel's "Greatest Female Superhero".

Which I think would make for an interesting premise (basically Starbuck from BSG): Alcoholic hot mess fighter jet ace gets cosmic superpowers and teams up with her black best friend to save the world from shape shifting aliens.
I feel like that would be a better arc for her after she comes back from space.

I hope she uses a bunch of outdated 90's phrases like "cool beans" all the time.

Bronx-Man

Banned

It's filming in Cali, so there's a 100% chance of this being a scene

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

I feel like that would be a better arc for her after she comes back from space.

i have to imagine they threw out her alcoholism and rape on day 0

Of course they did, and should have.

Carol needed the Iron Man treatment. Take her best features and apply them to an actor people already like and start fresh from zero. Carol Danvers in the MCU is a tough fighter pilot who punches aliens in the face with energy blasts, she's funny and she's optimistic and we'll get to see more of what she's really like when the movie hits.

Nothing else the comics have brought to the character over the years applies.

Cuburt

Ok, I think I deduced a way Marvel lawyers can have the rights to Kang:

Fox owns the time-traveller Nathaniel Richards who also can go by the alternate identities Rama-Tut, Scarlet Centurion, and Immortus

Marvel owns the time-traveller Kang the Conqueror (since he apparently he didn't first take the name of Kang until he was introduced in The Avengers) and all additional identities.

Maybe they share some identities but I think there is definitely a way they can sort of split the the character cleanly into what applies to the Fantastic Four and what applies to the Avengers, especially since with Kang there are a numerous number of alternate timelines with alternate timeline versions of Kang.

The precedent for a split like this in the films is Viper/Dr. Green in The Wolverine (with her toxins and ties to Silver Samurai) whose counterpart in the MCU is Ophelia/Madame Hydra in Agents of SHIELD with the Hydra ties. They mostly handled that by cleanly drawing a line through aspects of the character and simply not referring to the aspects their universe doesn't "own".

Also, we've seen how certain rights are delineated such as Marvel having rights to The Watchers as a race (or at least they share them) but don't have the right to Uatu (who is linked the the Fantastic Four) or how Marvel has rights to the Skrull and even can use Super-Skrull (from what I've heard in the past and that seems to be true from the concept art for Captain Marvel) but they don't have the right to The Super-Skrull, Kl'rt.

Toa TAK

Banned

There is no "best of" when it comes to Carol Danvers

Good on you for reading the Ultimate universe stuff tho

Couldn't imagine otherwise. The rape was never going to touch any media outside of that issue, and the alcoholism, while I think would be fine, wasn't going to come into play with a film where they're reinventing the character.
Ok, I think I deduced a way Marvel lawyers can have the rights to Kang:

Fox owns the time-traveller Nathaniel Richards who also can go by the alternate identities Rama-Tut, Scarlet Centurion, and Immortus

Marvel owns the time-traveller Kang the Conqueror (since he apparently he didn't first take the name of Kang until he was introduced in The Avengers) and all additional identities.

Maybe they share some identities but I think there is definitely a way they can sort of split the the character cleanly into what applies to the Fantastic Four and what applies to the Avengers, especially since with Kang there are a numerous number of alternate timelines with alternate timeline versions of Kang.

The precedent for a split like this in the films is Viper/Dr. Green in The Wolverine (with her toxins and ties to Silver Samurai) whose counterpart in the MCU is Ophelia/Madame Hydra in Agents of SHIELD with the Hydra ties. They mostly handled that by cleanly drawing a line through aspects of the character and simply not referring to the aspects their universe doesn't "own".

Also, we've seen how certain rights are delineated such as Marvel having rights to The Watchers as a race (or at least they share them) but don't have the right to Uatu (who is linked the the Fantastic Four) or how Marvel has rights to the Skrull and even can use Super-Skrull (from what I've heard in the past and that seems to be true from the concept art for Captain Marvel) but they don't have the right to The Super-Skrull, Kl'rt.
The Madame Hydra/Viper one doesn't work completely because Madame Hydra is a mantle assumed by more than just Viper.

Christian

Who has the rights to Scarlet Centurion? If it's Marvel, how graphic do you think they'll get with that sex scene? breathingintensifies.gif

-Is Fury aware of Captain Marvel if so how has Fury not said anything about having a ace up his sleeve? That mother fucker can keep a secret.

If we pretend that the movies and the TV shows are still in the same universe, Fury still to this day hasn't told them that Coulson is alive.

Top Bottom