• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us is still freaking incredible

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I'm replaying the game for the first time since I beat it way back on release.

Currently going through it on the PS4 Pro on Grounded difficulty and enjoying the experience all over again. I freaking love how versatile the gameplay is. I've completely bypassed several combat encounters by using stealth and sneaking by the enemies. To me that feels just as rewarding as taking out several enemies cleverly with bricks and bottles and pipes.

The visuals are still fantastic (HDR looks particularly awesome), the soundtrack is god-tier, and the story and voice acting are still powerful and gut-wrenching. I've just cleared the flooded hotel basement in Pittsburgh. Can't wait to see what else is in store. It's been a while so I've forgotten a fair amount.

Anyone else replay this recently? What'd you think?

Finished it as my first PS4 Pro game in November (for the first time) and really enjoyed it. I didn't really think it was the best game at anything but I still remember it fondly and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the actual gameplay. I sort of expected a more shallow experience but it was very good overall. I can definitely see how this game was received well in 2013. And definitely still holds up even to newcomers like me.

Pryce

I played through it late last year.

Game is still as good as it was back then. The Bill's town-Pittsburgh-Henry section remains one of my favorites.

I'll have to play it again later this year on grounded.

Agreed. TLOU is like any game in that you can nitpick and poke little holes into this and that but the way everything comes together is just top-notch. I've never cared for any game characters more than I did for Joel and Ellie, the way their relationship and individual personalities develop over the course of the game (especially after the first couple hours) is just perfect.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Absolutely wonderful game. Have played it through 6 times to completion and replayed various segments even more.

What's the difference between the vanilla and pro version? Just got the Pro but I played the game on Vanilla PS4
Pro runs at 4K/30 or 1800p/60 as opposed to 1080p on the base PS4.

ngower

I got to Pittsburgh before shelving it and eventually selling it. It's ~$12 at BB right now and I'm tempted to pick it up and finally finish.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
People are always praising TLOU soundtrack, I just don't get it. Compare to U4, TLOU music just doesn't hold for me.

Played it as part of my 52 in 52. It's overrated. I think Naughty Dog in general needs to place a greater importance on significant gameplay upgrades than on pure storytelling.

Great story, average game.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Yep.

Top 5 games of all time.

Concept, presentation, characters, gameplay, graphics, everything about the game is near flawless.

Even the Mutliplayer is fantastic.

One of the best games ever created, by far.

Loxley

Ha, I'm literally in the middle of replaying it on my Pro right now. Just got to the
science lab at UEC

I still love the game, even if the shooting feels a bit weird (especially after Uncharted 4). I can't wait to see what improvements ND have made to the gameplay for Part 2.

Weiss

Banned
I liked the gameplay well enough I guess.

Joel is fucking garbage. Not in a "oh he's so tragic and complex" way I mean he is a shit protagonist. He throws tantrums like a fucking child and treats his own family like fucking vending machines, but he has a dead kid so that means his brand of horrible violence is more acceptable than everyone else.

The ending was good though.

hydruxo

Haven't replayed it in a while, I think I'll do that this summer. What a great game though, I didn't get to play it until it TLOU:R came out, but I loved every second.

shandy706

Joel is fucking garbage. Not in a "oh he's so tragic and complex" way I mean he is a shit protagonist. He throws tantrums like a fucking child and treats his own family like fucking vending machines, but he has a dead kid so that means his brand of horrible violence is more acceptable than everyone else.

I didn't like him or the beginning of the game at all, or the roll eyes story...but...I feel like I should give it another try on PS4.

Tagg9

I think this is the first time I've heard a complaint about Joel's character. Out of curiosity, who would you consider to be a better protagonist in video games? Joel has a well-rounded personality, is grounded, likeable, and charismatic.

Beatrix

Indeed it is. I can't believed I beat it on grounded twice within a week. I was on a gaming drought before TLoU and it all the right notes for me. Interesting story, decent combat mechanics with just enough exploring for me all combined with a perfect length.

sjay1994

People are always praising TLOU soundtrack, I just don't get it. Compare to U4, TLOU music just doesn't hold for me.

Well like the games themselves they have different tones to them. Uncharted is more about the bombast while TLOU is more about intimacy.

They are very different and it's why I understand why some people might not like TLOUs soundtrack

That is an extremely reductive view of his character. Not sure how you arrived at that conclusion.

Loxley

Another thing I realized while playing the game the second time around this last week - the
hotel basement section
was way shorter than I remember it being. I think because I was so creeped out by it the first time around by memory made it seem like it was this long, terrifying section - but it's really only about five minutes XD

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
It was a wanna be Half-Life. That said, I'll still get the sequel day one.

If by wanna-be Half-Life you mean it's better than any of the Half-Life games, I concur.

But you make an interesting observation as several times playing the game I thought just how much it reminded me of a Valve game in level design and presentation.

One of my favorite games ever. I loved everything about it.

I need to replay it on the Pro (I've been waiting out on a supersample patch).

Toa Axis

boring, cliche, and pretentious
I feel like I see this word misused more than any other.

Also, try to substantiate your claims. Expression of opinions is fine, but without something to give those opinions texture, they're not really worthwhile.

Top Bottom