• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us is still freaking incredible

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Has some of the GOAT emotional beats in gaming, period. One of the best openers of all time, Henry and his bro still has me shook and the music is incredible, Winter, followed by one of my favorite endings of all time. Those 4 segments fall under all time for me.

It also has one of the best MPs ever made. My fear is they're gonna casualize the shit out of it once the sequel comes out, they already started with the dlc. :\

The whole Henry and his bro section and the cut to black after that happens is the most gut-wrenching moment I've ever experienced in a game.

I literally had to pause for five minutes because I was so upset. Bawled my goddamn eyes out. :(

Chumley

Banned
It really isn't. Easily the lost overrated game in GAF history.

giphy.gif

Get over it.

Has some of the GOAT emotional beats in gaming, period. One of the best openers of all time, Henry and his bro still has me shook and the music is incredible, Winter, followed by one of my favorite endings of all time. Those 4 segments fall under all time for me.

It also has one of the best MPs ever made. My fear is they're gonna casualize the shit out of it once the sequel comes out, they already started with the dlc. :\

The emotional beats hit hard even compared to films. Closest film comparison I can think of is The Road and TLoU hit me harder than that movie ever did.

Linkark07

Banned
I respectfully disagree with almost everyone. While still a good game, I would hardly call it one of the best games ever. That said, it is superior than most of the games that have been released these recent years. And it will age well. The gameplay is quite entertaining and the production values are top notch.

Certainly, if I had to choose between the Uncharted games and TLoU, I would most likely replay the latter.

Man, I really planned on jumping back into Persona 5 tonight but this is making me want to play more of TLOU.

Should I stream it? Will GAF join me in analyzing how Joel traverses stairs?!

Striek

Gameplay is fantastic, story is one of the best ever (in execution). Its very long for a singleplayer game like this, but doesn't ever overstay its welcome. Its MP is ridiculously good.

No wonder it was one of the best selling new IPs of all time. People recognise quality. Most of them, anyway.

guyssorry

I'm not normally into these kinds of games, but I really enjoyed TLOU. The story and world were both great. I had a few issues with it, but, overall, it is probably the only naughty dog game that I enjoy post-Jak 1. I might replay it soon if I get a PS4 Pro

Shambala

Can't have a naughty dog thread without the haters 😂😂. Anyway that game is a masterpiece. Easily one of the best games I've ever had the pleasure of playing.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I'm still amazed with how incredible the MP in the game is, considering not one bit of it was talked about until like a week before it came out. Really hope there's no big changes to it in Part 2.

Clefargle

Come on, now..

It's great but come on

I agree, its really overhyped here. The fact that there are so few enemy types and so little variety in combat should have mattered more to those that care about gameplay over all else. Bur i guess a lot of people were ok with looking past shallow mechanics because it offered a strong narrative.

Blowing away the
fireflies
is still one of my favorite moments in a video game.

I really disliked playing through it, since i felt stressed and frustrated every minute of it. But damn is the story satisfying.

People are always praising TLOU soundtrack, I just don't get it. Compare to U4, TLOU music just doesn't hold for me.

I'm pretty sure most people were thoroughly disappointed with UC4's soundtrack as being unmemorable and too contained, so I don't see where you're coming from.

It really isn't. Easily the lost overrated game in GAF history.

Riveting argument, bub.

I agree, its really overhyped here. The fact that there are so few enemy types and so little variety in combat should have mattered more to those that care about gameplay over all else. Bur i guess a lot of people were ok with looking past shallow mechanics because it offered a strong narrative.

This post combines two of the most asinine and often-repeated 'complaints' about the game into one. Why does the game need dozens of enemy types? How is it mechanically shallow?

The mechanics were anything but shallow. The fact that the single player gameplay loop directly translated into a very well regarded multiplayer is testament to this fact.

Come on, now..

It's great but come on

He's not wrong. TLOU is a good example of why I play games. It has stellar graphics, story, gameplay, voice acting, environments. Almost every highly rated game ever created gets high marks in these areas and TLOU is certainly one of them.

Ha yeah you didn't play the game.
Mechanics are shallow give me a break.

Cramoss

He's not wrong. TLOU is a good example of why I play games. It has stellar graphics, story, gameplay, voice acting, environments. Almost every highly rated game ever created gets high marks in these areas and TLOU is certainly one of them.

Oh, if that is why you play games then I can see it then for you.

I never said it was elevated above those other stories, I said that it is equal to them. Joel is violent because that violence is what was necessary to survive all those years in a world turned dark and wild. But there is more to Joel than his violence. He forges trust and partnership with Tess, he forges a loving, caring bond with Ellie, in which he teaches her about life before the outbreak, shelters her, protects her, and comes to respect her as a partner and an equal. He connects with Henry, has empathy for his role of protector of his little brother, relates to his insistence upon his brother's safety over anything else. Joel can be vicious and cruel, but he can be compassionate, gentle, and understanding. There are moments in the game which showcase all of these aspects of his character.

Well said. Joel is violent, grizzled, and resourceful because it wouldn't make story sense for someone in his position to be anything else. This isn't a story about an ordinary person forced into an extraordinary situation (a la Tomb Raider or Dead Space or something like that), he goes into it knowing exactly how the world is and what he's up against, and he acts the same way many people with his background and in his position might act (at least in most situations). He's cautious, distrusting, resourceful, and proactively violent, because he knows he probably has to be if he wants to survive. On top of that, a huge part of his story arc is how he grows to care for Ellie - his change in demeanor (and the juxtaposition between him and Ellie) is part of the story and if you stripped it out it wouldn't be as compelling.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

Shallow mechanics?

Aka "I didn't play the game."?

The games mechanics are it's best asset. No two encounters play out the same, and playing this game on grounded is am experience like no other. Unforgiving, but also exhilarating.

Yep. Beat it many times including twice on grounded. Credits will roll and I will already be looking forward to my next playthrough. Hands down one of the best games ever made.

mrlion

It actually beat out Chrono Trigger (after 16 years) as my top favorite game of all time. Its pretty serious lol

Dany

Banned
One of my favorite games ever. They did everything right. Such a focused game with amazing gameplay and story. Replayed it a couple times, planning on a 4th play through before TLOU Pt. II

I thought the online was excellent, too. I really liked the slowpaced and tactical way you move around the map, as well as the incentive for covering ground and exploring. It also feels great to sneak up on somebody, and you get genuinely surprised when it happens to you. It started getting muddled when more powerful perks and guns were added, though.

A strong design decision that I don't hear mentioned that often is how the vast majority of the guns in the game are semi automatic or single shot. I really liked playing with pistols that didn't feel weak, and honestly the fact that I wasn't spraying everything throughout the game made it feel unique in its gunplay compared to similar contemporaries.

mike6467

I double dipped on it when the PS4 version came out after I just kind of drifted away from the PS3 version. I hoped the upgrade would hook me.

It really didn't, and I think it's the same reason Uncharted hasn't really clicked for me lately despite buying every iteration of it (2 was incredible though, I won't deny that). I just don't have fun in these games. I can't figure out why either. They're clearly well reviewed for good reason. They check all the boxes, I love the genres they're in....

I think ultimately it may be the presentation, and in TLoU I wasn't in love with the atmosphere either. I know it does it for a lot of people, but a lot of times I sit through the story and feel it's trying too hard. This is all on me. Clearly lots of people enjoy it, and I'm not saying this is objectively true. I'm just saying it doesn't resonate with me. I'm sure I'll keep giving ND my money though because the games always look so damn good.

jett

D-Member
The best exclusive on the p.s. triple. I played it like four times on my PS3. Probably all TLOU'd out by now but I sure enjoyed every playthrough.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Absolutely agree! I played it when the Remaster came out, after not having a PS3. I always had wanted to play it, but I've never even SEEN a PS3 in real life somehow.

I just bought a Pro on Saturday since I wanted the best Playstation experience to go with my 4k tv. Man, this game is one of my favorites. I'd forgotten how excellent it is, and it looks so damned good in native 4k, and the HDR makes a nice difference too.

I'm really excited forTloU2. I'm really glad I chose this to be my first PS Pro game.

Ravage

Replayed it last year and was reminded why it's my favorite game from the PS3 era.

The tense combat and scarce resources contributed greatly to the immersion, and it really sells the harshness of the world as well as the struggles of Joel and Ellie.

Most overrated game in gaming history

On a sidenote, i admit part of the fun of TLOU threads is reading the post history of drive-by posters.

I love how the game openly pays tribute to Half-Life 2 with everything in Massachusetts, and how the Clicker is fundamentally a combination of Resident Evil 4's two most interesting/game-changing enemies (Dr. Salvador and the Garrador). Tribute and inspiration without shameless ripping-off, and the enemy AI is good enough to make variations on the scenario make things play out wildly differently with only a few enemy types.

That said, I'd love to see one or two additional Infected enemy types that further change things up and have their own unique dynamics within stealth vs open combat. Infected that mimic corpses or appear to be wall growths until revealed could present an interesting set of challenges (though I'd want a way for any sort of stealthier enemy to remain interesting on subsequent playthroughs).

RedAssedApe

Banned
Yup. Bought it three times.

PS3 launch
PS4 remastered version at launch
PS4 digital once TLOU2 was announced (i sell my games after I beat them)

The only moments in the game that really hit me was the opening (kinda) and the ending. The latter really stuck for me though, was amazing. The moment with the two brothers i called as soon as they were introduced, but it was well done albeit cliche.

Good game. However I'm forever salty about the AI downgrade from what they showed at e3.

I echo a lot of Matthew's sentiments with the game.

https://youtu.be/eFhRFWSmFGg

UC2 and UC4 are ND's top tier games imho.

This is one of those games I wish I enjoyed as much as others. The game was too boring for me to finish. Really liked any scene where Ellie was being well, Ellie since her VA was fantastic.

I couldn't separate Joel from Troy Baker so the game became Troy Baker and Ellie: The Game for me. He did a good job though.

Stopped playing when
you take control of Ellie during the Winter. I was too bored as it was and I fucking hate stealth sections in games so I just ended it there.

I never understood the, "This game is great" thread followed by people stopping by to let everyone know they didn't think it's so great. In fact, the game sucks! What does that add to the thread? Is it so hard to not post in threads of games you don't like or have no interest in? I'm sure people do it all the time....

One of the best games I ever played. Just finished my replay in March for my girlfriend. Changed what she thought video games could achieve narratively.

Top Bottom