• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush 2 Review Thread

NotLiquid

I think Jim's review made me reconsider when I'll be getting the game since I found the original to be quite a disappointment in spite of it's lovely world building and characters. I was excited about the prospect of GR2 being a far improved game with the shackles of the Vita no longer being a burden, but knowing that it's mostly bigger yet not necessarily better has me thinking I'll wait for a price drop.

I saw Toyama retweeted this ad for the game

c10sjohusae6mdefqsze.jpg

I've seen the name around here and there but somehow can't wrap my head around how this actually plays from videos etc.

Would someone be able to give me a dummy's breakdown of what this approximately is like in practice? Like Game A + Game B + Game C type of deal?

I'm intrigued but slightly confused if that makes sense!

EDIT: Shit, wait, there's a demo on PSN?

DunpealD

I've seen the name around here and there but somehow can't wrap my head around how this actually plays from videos etc.

Would someone be able to give me a dummy's breakdown of what this approximately is like in practice? Like Game A + Game B + Game C type of deal?

Gameplay is unique. So trying the demo would give you the answers you need.

A quick advice. When using Gravity Kick against slow enemies where you know that you are going to hit, you can use the time inbetween flight and actual hit to move the camera to the next enemy.
Also remember how many attacks an enemy can take, so you can utilize the prior advice to the max.
Enemies outside of your view appear as arrows, when they start to blink it usually signals that the enemy is about to attack.

I don't think you could get an idea of how to play this game by "adding" any other. There's a demo available, which has two different courses (which have different content). The basic mechanic is that you can start floating by pressing R and then choose where to "fall" by pressing R again in said direction. Trying the demo will make it all clearer though :D

Gameplay is unique. So trying the demo would give you the answers you need.

A quick advice. When using Gravity Kick against slow enemies where you know that you are going to hit, you can use the time inbetween flight and actual hit to move the camera to the next enemy.
Also remember how many attacks an enemy can take, so you can utilize the prior advice to the max.
Enemies outside of your view appear as arrows, when they start to blink it usually signals that the enemy is about to attack.

I don't think you could get an idea of how to play this game by "adding" any other. There's a demo available, which has two different courses (which have different content). The basic mechanic is that you can start floating by pressing R and then choose where to "fall" by pressing R again in said direction. Trying the demo will make it all clearer though :D

Thanks, yeah, I didn't realize there's a demo available until I had already posted that. It looks pretty bizarre but endearing so I'll definitely check that out in the next few days.

Menitta

Thanks, yeah, I didn't realize there's a demo available until I had already posted that. It looks pretty bizarre but endearing so I'll definitely check that out in the next few days.

If there's one way to describe this game's gameplay with a point of reference, I'd say it has movement that's Spider-Man 2 levels of good.

Still need to beat Gravity Rush Remastered, but I'll probably get this close to release.. Reviews look good and the footage of the game has me interested. I've liked what I've played of the first game so far.

Wollan

Siren sight-jacking mechanism is *made* for PSVR.
Though with a twist as the camera should always be in player control.

BTA

Read Kotaku's earlier and was fine with it (I'm totally fine with a certain kind of jank) but Polygon's makes me more optimistic, hmm. Regardless of how I feel about individual parts I expect to love the whole; just good to know it might not be as frustrating as Kotaku's made it seem?

Dabi

Demo was hella fun but the way my bank account is setup... lol

Will pick this up eventually. Sonys Japan studios bringing the heat.

wapplew

Forget about Siren VR, what about Misty mountain? Someone need to finish P.T and I can't think of a better director than Toyama.

Forget about Siren VR, what about Misty mountain? Someone need to finish P.T and I can't think of a better director than Toyama.
You know siren does like silent right? :p Also creep factor is way up in siren imo. The fact that the shibito will continue with their daily lives and act normally among family members...

I'm so pleased with how these reviews are going. From the sound of things, people who thought GR1 had problems are still going to have problems with GR2 and people who loved GR1 and are going to love GR2. I loved GR1 and thought many of the problems people had with GR1 were matters of user error (like trying to use gravity kicks on every enemy or having open world fatigue from playing other, lesser games), so an enhanced version with a lot more content sounds fantastic.

I'm so pleased with how these reviews are going. From the sound of things, people who thought GR1 had problems are still going to have problems with GR2 and people who loved GR1 and are going to love GR2. I loved GR1 and thought many of the problems people had with GR1 were matters of user error (like trying to use gravity kicks on every enemy or having open world fatigue from playing other, lesser games), so an enhanced version with a lot more content sounds fantastic.
I think people should use stasis and gravity slide more often especially the latter since it auto hits the enemy. I usually use gravity kick on big enemies or enemies with multiple cores. Might be just me but I think of gravity rush as a faster version of sotc with hitting weakspots and all

I think people should use stasis and gravity slide more often especially the latter since it auto hits the enemy. I usually use gravity kick on big enemies or enemies with multiple cores. Might be just me but I think of gravity rush as a faster version of sotc with hitting weakspots and all

Slide kicks don't auto hit the enemies anymore nor do counterattacks auto aim.

Lifeline

Just noticed two of the characters are named after Hindu goddesses, i guess we're going to see another Symmetra controversy.

The appeal of Gravity Rush is pretty hard to articulate. I'll just say that the feeling of flight and motion in GR is second to none. Honestly, just flying around is absolutely wonderful; there's nothing else like it.

LotusHD

Banned

Yea there's a demo. Go play it!

Vinc

A horror game that isn't FPS pleas!!

That would be pretty amazing. There's a serious lack of horror games these days. Silent Hills' cancellation still hurts, I'm looking forward to Resident Evil VII, but there isn't much else. Thankfully I have a backlog of old games to catch up on, but still. I'd gladly welcome this. I don't have PSVR due to my living room configuration (and lack of content on that), but I'm definitely listening. If they're making a good horror game on that, I'd consider getting one.

Top Bottom