• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft sends GAF a Cease and Desist notice over Mass Effect 3 Spoilers

Danielsan

stuminus3 said:
This fellow here gets it, this is exactly the point I was making.
Except that's probably not how it went. Instead imagine a cold letter from Bioware/EA's legal department threatening legal action unless said thread and all posts containing leaked info on Mass Effect 3 are removed from the site.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
rozay said:
sounds like you're excited to see a krogan butthole

Kurt Kobain YEAH BOI.gif

I'm sure TacticalFox88 is pleased.

ArjanN

Foliorum Viridum said:
We all know the main story spoiler anyway.

What's that? It will be nowhere near as good as the story as the first game.

The story in the first game wasn't anything special. Pretty generic sci-fi fluff.

I'll admit that I was surprised to find out that Shepard goes super saiyan and breaks down the reapers AT fields with one punch but I don't see how the game would be spoiled for anyone if they knew beforehand.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Wario64 said:
Obviously the only solution to this is to send NeoGAF members to Bioware and have them report on the game in their own environment and give us free copies. I would happily volunteer.
Just start posting fanfic on their forums. I hear it'll get you a job in the story department.

Derrick01

Banned
Kaako said:
Ok now I really wanna know the shit that went down in the other thread regarding this "spoiler." It can't be that bad now, can it?

It was more than 1 spoiler. It was a decent amount of the plot including the ending

Bioware pulled out damage control by saying "some" of it is old but let's be real here most of it will stay.

Beth Cyra

Kaako said:
Ok now I really wanna know the shit that went down in the other thread regarding this "spoiler." It can't be that bad now, can it?
People keep saying this but yeah it really was. All kinds of spoilers from small to huge.

Patryn

At least I can look forward to the party in the Story Discussion thread again. That should lead to a few weeks of comedy, right?

Morgadeth said:
They're acting like Mass Effect's story matters... Strange.

Um, I've quite enjoyed the games so far but honestly, the story is largely what they have going for them. It's surely why I'm even nominally interested in Mass Effect 3.

Or was, anyway, if the cryptic implications here are correct.

TheSeks said:
Because the game is their property it hasn't been released and could harm sales. Thus, the C&D in their interests to protect sales.
It is true that their game has not been released yet and this accidental leak may harm sales. I feel sad about that. It is is a sad thing. It is a really sad thing that also fails to give them grounds for demanding an Internet messageboard with no corporate affiliation 'cease and desist' discussing information that slipped into the public domain through no fault of said messageboard.

DaBuddaDa

It's like BioWare is actively trying to destroy all faith and trust with everyone who ever liked them as a developer or any of their games.

Woffls

To be fair, their main concern is probably over fans of the series having it spoiled for them. This doesn't help in any way at all, but we couldn't say their hearts aren't in the right place. Or not; who knows?

Complistic

OMG Aero said:
Actually, wasn't the Mass Effect 3 beta available through the Xbox dashboard preview?
I think you agree to an NDA when you sign up for that.

It got released to the people with the dashboard preview by accident. They then pulled it and shut down servers. Then some russians hacked the beta and for some reason bioware had the entire game's plot just sitting there.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Kaako said:

In total honesty, some of it is being blown out of proportion, but a good portion of it was as bad as is being described.

Some of the stuff I read made me go, "no way, kinda awesome," but more often than not, it was "no way, you've gotta be kidding me."

UberTag

Bioware makes me ashamed to be Canadian. :(

Actually no... Canada is a big country and I don't reside in Alberta.
And if I was Albertan I would have plenty more to be ashamed of than just Bioware.

stuminus3

Banned
Danielsan said:
Except that's probably not how it went. Instead imagine a cold letter from Bioware/EA's legal department threatening legal action unless said thread and all posts containing leaked info on Mass Effect 3 are removed from the site.
Regardless of how it went, I'm pretty sure it wasn't just Evilore going "oh shit it's the law!" and hitting the 'delete' button. No doubt there was some behind-the-scenes deliberation we'll never know about. If GAF wanted to stand up (and I mean "GAF", not "GAFfers"), GAF would have stood up.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
crowphoenix said:
Man, BioWare has turned into such a shitty company these last few years. It's amazing.
It's what happens when you gain a group of devoted nimrods that love everything you do even though they've not even played your best work. Seriously, check out some comments on some bioware videos sometimes 'It's Bioware, of course it'll be great!' It's pretty nuts.

I just realized I am now pissed at the company has a whole. It is hard for me to be outright annoyed at one singular thing, but I am.

Fuck them.

inky

This is all vengeance for that Revenge of Shit Mountain thread. Evilore had it coming tbh.

funkystudent said:
Buying ME3 used now.

Thanks for saving me $5 bioware

But you won't get the MP pass, man. =( And think about those guys, they gotta eat.

Lothars

Joe Shlabotnik said:
Um, I've quite enjoyed the games so far but honestly, the story is largely what they have going for them. It's surely why I'm even nominally interested in Mass Effect 3.

Or was, anyway, if the cryptic implications here are correct.
Ignore the implications here and just play the game when it comes out, I bet if you liked the previous two games that you will like ME3.

Branduil

I think it's only fair we ban all Bioware discussion from GAF. I mean, other than posts where we insult Bioware, we should be allowed to do only that.

well if Bioware is going to play this game I will not play their game either. GAF was spoiler tagging all the information and it was up to the reader to read it. There was never a case where people were just copying and pasting info for everyone to just see. By doing this they have lost one pre order from me.

Kinyou

Atilac said:
I don't even feel like buying the game now. pressuring the admins to nuke the page was going too far.
Just buy it used, apparently that's the worst kind of punishment you can give a developer.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Those spoilers for Mass Effect 3 must have been pretty bad, based on the impressions I'm getting from you guys.

Woffls said:
To be fair, their main concern is probably over fans of the series having it spoiled for them. This doesn't help in any way at all, but we couldn't say their hearts aren't in the right place. Or not; who knows?
You cannot put the genie back in the bottle. Not on the Internet. If you do not realize this in 2011, and have your marketing or whichever departments lean on the very same places your potential customers congregate, you are bad at PR. Like, so bad at it.

Worse than you are at making credible RPGs.

Trojita said:
Those spoilers for Mass Effect 3 must have been pretty bad, based on the impressions I'm getting from you guys.
If you thought ME1 and ME2 had good, coherent, well-told stories with genuine player choice underpinning them, you will like ME3 fine.

RSP said:
Crucial conversation spoiler:
Shepard: Wrex.
Wrex: Shepard.
2555la9.jpg

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Fight the power, you pussies! Kotaku has more integrity!

Yes, yes, that's all well and good, until GAF gets unplugged a few hours later by our ISP.

Evlar

Banned
Normally I'd avoid like the plague any spoilers on a game months away, but thanks to this I just gotta know.

EDIT: I'm not begging for anyone to tell me, btw. I'll venture forth into the great wide Internet, see what I find.

zoner said:
It's what happens when you gain a group of devoted nimrods that love everything you do even though they've not even played your best work. Seriously, check out some comments on some bioware videos sometimes 'It's Bioware, of course it'll be great!' It's pretty nuts.
You can replace Bioware with just about any respected...or partially respected dev in gaming today. So, although I hate the mentality and agree with your sentiment, I'm not sure why bioware has been plucked out of the box.

Nice avatar btw. It really drives your point home.

Top Bottom