• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft gave journalists a free Nexus 7 at a Watchdogs Preview event.

JayEH

lol whut? They've scored games made by 'friends' low before, it really doesn't affect them. And in areas where they are worried that it will (i.e. Bastion), they refuse to even print a review. Despite uniform critical praise, they didn't bother to get easy clicks and traffic by writing a review that could have been seen to have been influenced by their in-depth coverage/access to the dev team.

Both the games press and the mainstream game dev community are highly insular places where everyone knows everyone. If you think it's just the GB guys who are chummy with devs, you're in for one hell of a surprise.

They actually did put out a Bastion Review. I understand your point though.

emag

"Journalists" taking multi-thousand dollar vacations on publishers' dime = business as usual.

Journalists taking $200 gaming accessory from publishers = outrage.

BibiMaghoo

Embargos are there for the consumer ultimately. If they weren't in place, you wouldn't get a review to read on day one, or day 0 or whatever. If they still got the game early and there was no review embargo, you can bet that reviewers would just rush through the game as soon as they get it in order to put a review up for the hits it would bring by being "first".

Worse yet, they might not even play the game and still write a review.

In the end, embargos are a necessary evil for reviews. I can't speak to previews. I think preview coverage is largely worthless because of the stupid caveats it brings.

I don't agree they are there for the consumer. We live in an age where multiple impressions of a product are as easy to gather as a few clicks on the mouse, rather than buying multiple magazines to see them - something that costs money. Embargoes exists, yes, partly because reviewers then cannot one up each other, but mostly because of potential damage an early review that is negative can cause, otherwise the example in the OP of being allowed to break it if given a good score wouldn't happen. They exist as a means to maintain pre-orders and day one purchases, that as time moves on, are getting bigger and bigger. Front loading is the way big games make big money now.

I don't actually see how they benefit the consumer at all, quite the opposite in fact. A consumer that wants a game day one is not going to wait till later that very day to check out all the reviews, they go and buy it based on impressions and quick looks instead. A lack of embargoes means a consumer could get a review a week before launch, or two even, and that only serves to inform them prior to a purchase, and thereby empowering the customer with more information about a product, which is the entire point of a review in the first place.

Even the 'first' thing is getting redundant, because people wait for multiple reviews from a range of sites, or visit metacritic to have them all aggregated to an average. Those days are dead or dying.

No, I would need much convincing that they benefit the consumer at all. From my eyes they only benefit the publisher.

aeolist

Banned
He was the former Senior Editor at Official Xbox Magazine.

You know what you're getting with Ryan, he's an unabashed Microsoft fanboy. At least he's not disingenuous about it.

At least when someone lays all their biases out on the table, you can choose to safely ignore them.

this is always the important thing

everyone has their biases, they just need to make them clear so that it's easier to find people whose opinions you can trust

jschreier

you keep saying this and I agree it would be nice to know, but the thing is most of the people here aren't really in a position to figure that out. that's where guys like you can help out.
I dunno what I could do that you couldn't. I'm just asking that everyone stop jumping to conclusions when every twitter post so far from a journalist has been them saying they didn't keep the damn thing.

(And no, I have no plans to write an article about this - "big publisher gives out swag at press event" is not a new or noteworthy story, sadly. But if you're interested in more about the shitty things that video game publishers do to influence review scores, you should check out my big piece on Metacritic.)

Ludist210

What does a Google Nexus 7, manufactured by ASUS, marketed by Google based on Android/Google software, have to do with Ubisoft? And why are they giving them out? Is it being palmed off as a marketing campaign or something because Watch_Dogs has a theme of technology?
Fixed that for you.

Ponn

Banned
you keep saying this and I agree it would be nice to know, but the thing is most of the people here aren't really in a position to figure that out. that's where guys like you can help out.

Unfortunately, besides it being a hard hitting topic requiring more than just an email to a PR team, it would require someone going against the "club". Its like asking a poltician to spearhead an inquiry against lobbyists and trying to abolish it. Not going to happen.

unbias

lol whut? They've scored games made by 'friends' low before, it really doesn't affect them. And in areas where they are worried that it will (i.e. Bastion), they refuse to even print a review. Despite uniform critical praise, they didn't bother to get easy clicks and traffic by writing a review that could have been seen to have been influenced by their in-depth coverage/access to the dev team.

Both the games press and the mainstream game dev community are highly insular places where everyone knows everyone. If you think it's just the GB guys who are chummy with devs, you're in for one hell of a surprise.

I doubt that is possible. They may be able to be more honest with themselves about the games they like, but the idea that it doesnt effect them probably isnt true. That said, Giant Bomb isnt a website that lives off reviews so it is less of a deal. They are known for their video content, who also does reviews, in general I think this gives them more leeway with gamers.

Orayn

I mean, journalists get free shit fairly often, and it's a practice I've never really liked, but in this case, wtf. How is this even a related product? I've seen consoles given out by the console manufacturers just so they can hear a cheer in the crowd and generate artificial hype. But this is just a separate product. How are they justifying that, or do they not even have to?

What does a Google Nexus 7, manufactured by Samsung, marketed by Google based on Android/Google software, have to do with Ubisoft? And why are they giving them out? Is it being palmed off as a marketing campaign or something because Watch_Dogs has a theme of technology?

Watch_Dogs has second screen functionality. Ubisoft's justification was probably that they wanted to make sure everyone could use those features.

Problem is that basically everyone will wind up having a smartphone or tablet anyway, especially modern game journos.

RiamuBME

Haven't we learned by now that it has gotten to a point where we have to take each review with a pinch of salt these days anyway. Back when it was all about magazine reviews as a source it was much easier to believe what the reviewer was saying. It was a hobby and a very smaller culture then. Passion and enthusiasm fueled people then. Now any man and his dog can review a game. Either creating a blogpost or filming themselves on youtube. We should be, in this culture of millions (almost billions) of gamers, taking reviews as hints and with a pinch of salt.

Yes. There probably are professionals who are not only paid to go to these events. Have their travel paid and have received a brand new tablet for free. A pretty sweet deal. You may think this will drive them towards some sort of favoritism towards Watchdogs now. Is that really any different from allowing someone who is a fan of a series review a game. Would you really want to read an Assassin's Creed review by Kevin Van Ord for example? It is very hard to trust reviews anyway, it is and always has been someone else's opinion of something. But when they review things, they still have to justify their scores in words and explain as to why they gave that game a 10/10.

I see Jason floating around here. Websites like Kotaku I find harder to trust. As well as Eurogamer. Websites that in the past have had to make a big deal of their commitment to ethics and morals surrounding these things. If it is something you have always done and will continue to do, you don't need to make a big deal out of it and make sure everyone knows it. It is harder to trust people who have to justify themselves about what should be the norm.

This sort of thing will continue. Sony not that long ago gave literally everyone interested a brand new engraved PS4. Is the PS4 in trouble? No. Do people even care now, not really. For as long as this carries on, just take everything with a pinch of salt. Video game journalism shouldn't be review focused anyway, it should be about writing intelligent pieces and stories about the culture. Things that are actually interesting and can never be questioned in terms of integrity.

That would be GOOD for consumers not bad. This would scare away more pre-orders and perhaps make the average game consumer more responsible with their purchase. If game reviewers rushed through it and they were known for that, those reviews would be considered less valuable. There is very little upside to gamers being day one buyers, and anything that helps reduce the amount of people doing so would be a good thing, imo.

Being able to see a review when the game is available to purchase is absolutely better for the consumer. If people are looking at reviews to determine whether they want to buy a game (Their intended purpose) than having one up as soon as they can buy a game is totally valuable. How else will they know if the game is bad or not? Most people don't go to message boards to look for game coverage.

"If game reviewers rushed through it and they were known for that, those reviews would be considered less valuable."

How would anyone really know?

(And no, I have no plans to write an article about this - "big publisher gives out swag at press event" is not a new or noteworthy story, sadly. But if you're interested in more about the shitty things that video game publishers do to influence review scores, you should check out my big piece on Metacritic.)

Perhaps I'm naive but I always believed 'swag' to be items like t-shirts, mugs, and 'collector' editions is the news of a publisher giving out a $200 piece of electronics really that unremarkable? And if it is shouldn't the larger sites be highlighting this?

inm8num2

We're destined to do this dance forever. Just have to laugh at the absurdity of the "gaming press" and their relationship with publishers.

I see Jason floating around here. Websites like Kotaku I find harder to trust. As well as Eurogamer. Websites that in the past have had to make a big deal of their commitment to ethics and morals surrounding these things. If it is something you have always done and will continue to do, you don't need to make a big deal out of it and make sure everyone knows it. It is harder to trust people who have to justify themselves about what should be the norm.

I don't really think that's fair. When there's so much shit flung at games journalists in general (not saying it is or isn't deserved) I get why guys like Jason, who do a good job, are defensive.

iratA

Any field where being impartial as possible with products is a must; accepting "gifts" from people that are trying to sell you something is almost always a big nono, it is imperative that you remain as impartial as possible in relation to that companies advertisements and the game.

Companies that keep/still send out gifts are not doing it to be nice, they do it because they see a rate of return that makes it worth it. Also, comparing a media industry that lives off reviews and previews to any other non product review/preview/endorsement industry is being pretty ignorant of why it is different(advertisement and marketing work on everyone to some degree). As for the Thief argument that "well it got a 6/10", that argument would only work if 6/10 was the lowest it could have gone. Maybe the reviews would have been even more harsh and/or the scores even lower if there wasnt a perception of partnership/friendship or some other non product related reason for given them a, higher then you would otherwise, score(and/or you might have written harsher things). Gifts, travel events, press kits, and ect are forms of nonrational influence marketing advertisement and it has been proven, through studies, to have real influence on individuals.

Nobody is immune to these sort of things(gifts and advertisement in general), you are not immune to it, everyone just reacts different to different forms of advertisement, but it still effects you. And the fact that game companies still do press events(like being sent to nice area's and ect), press kits, gifts, oh and also hiring from said media field, along with other random things, infers them spending money on these sort of things still has a rate of return worth investing in. So everyone who actually chimes in and says "oh it doesn't matter" or "it doesn't effect me" are part of the problem and are either lying or ignorant to all the psychological reasoning behind these corporations "gifts".

As for the government being a totally different situations... In terms of positions sure, but the reasoning behind why you cant still is the same. Objectivity is, in part, lost. People who argue otherwise are probably the same people who think advertisement doesn't effect them.

Have you heard of the term "feature articles"?

A lot of mainstream media use feature articles as a guise to put a spotlight on what may otherwise not have been worthy of a write up, ie they are paid for. Many feature articles are presented as providing general information either to the public or that publications viewers. However it is not uncommon for companies, products or services to seen in these Feature Articles. In this case substitute features with press previews.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Perhaps I'm naive but I always believed 'swag' to be items like t-shirts, mugs, and 'collector' editions is the news of a publisher giving out a $200 piece of electronics really that unremarkable? And if it is shouldn't the larger sites be highlighting this?

Just as an example, Boogie2988 (the Francis guy) received a PS4, camera, and every launch game in addition to being flown out to a Sony PS4 event back in November.

That said, even with his biases I think he's a cool guy.

TyrantII

That embargo stuff is disgusting.

Embargoes should be banned outright. If a publisher says a product is embargoed until launch, then the product should not even be reviewed at all. Publishers need to realise they are beholden to the journalist and reviewer, not give them free shit to make it the other way around. Every reviewer has the power to break a companies million dollar marketing budget, simply by giving the game no coverage at all. No banners, no reviews, nothing, as if it is not worth the time to even review. You have an embargo? No review for you mofo's.

See how they like them apples. Not well would be my guess.

Yeah, but piles of money.

Your problem is you seem to believe the gaming rags are there to serve you as a customer. When you realize for 95% of them you're actually the product they're selling to those same publisher, you tend to realize why they do what they do, and why the industry is set up the way it is.

Leway is given to allow the facade of Integrity and Independence; but in the end most of them are in the business of making money, and ad revenue from game publishers, not readers wallets, pays the shareholders.

Ad revenue and early access are paramount for their business models, so they won't put secondary issues above that need.

ItIsOkBro

The worst thing now is eventually if publishers don't give amazing gifts then journalists will feel cheated and rate games worse.

Dawg

What does a Google Nexus 7, manufactured by Samsung, marketed by Google based on Android/Google software, have to do with Ubisoft? And why are they giving them out? Is it being palmed off as a marketing campaign or something because Watch_Dogs has a theme of technology?

I believe the tablets were used to show the companion app crossplay but I can't actually talk about that without breaking embargo...

teiresias

There should be an actual OT for this game dedicated to listing all the reviewers that actually disclose receiving the tablet on their review.

I'd expect the OT would be short.

hohoXD123

I dunno what I could do that you couldn't. I'm just asking that everyone stop jumping to conclusions when every twitter post so far from a journalist has been them saying they didn't keep the damn thing.

Are £200 tablets really given out that often that it's not newsworthy anymore? Plus being a games journalist over the years, I'm sure you have access to more contacts who can shed a better light on this story than the average person on here.

unbias

Being able to see a review when the game is available to purchase is absolutely better for the consumer. If people are looking at reviews to determine whether they want to buy a game (Their intended purpose) than having one up as soon as they can buy a game is totally valuable. How else will they know if the game is bad or not? Most people don't go to message boards to look for game coverage.

"If game reviewers rushed through it and they were known for that, those reviews would be considered less valuable."

How would anyone really know?

Back before we had live streaming and lets play's I would agree that they are needed to be able to make an informed purchase, however... Between the amount of gameplay footage you get now through previews and being able to see early adopters play the game day one, it becomes less of an issue. IMO, if reviews dont come with footage of the reviewer playing the game, it just isnt as helpful as it could or, imo, should be. Now if, perhaps, reviews from all these publications also put out video's of them playing the game I would be less inclined to want to see reviews, as they are, die but until then I dont find them particularly helpful to the consumer as a whole.

Bold - You can always tell, eventually, what reviewers actually played the game properly and who didnt, your reputation is why people want to read you, you become known as unreliable people are not going to care what you say. Watching gameplay, imo, is now a must with reviews, specifically early reviews.

Just as an example, Boogie2988 (the Francis guy) received a PS4, camera, and every launch game in addition to being flown out to a Sony PS4 event back in November.

Yup he was quite up front about it though and as a YT personality he's not presenting himself to the world as a source of news and information just entertainment and opinion. I find the silence from those who self-identify as journalists as far more disturbing and can only applaud those who have come forward talking about this.

Dr Dogg

He's a games journalist. What you want there is a games journalist journalist.

Hahaha cheers now I've got "Who reports the reporters?" stuck in my head. It's like the idea someone had during the Doritos debacle about a meta-metacritic where we review the reviews.

Takuan

you keep saying this and I agree it would be nice to know, but the thing is most of the people here aren't really in a position to figure that out. that's where guys like you can (maybe? you've got more connections to other journalists than us, at least) help out.

Not worth the backlash.

unbias

Have you heard of the term "feature articles"?

A lot of mainstream media use feature articles as a guise to put a spotlight on what may otherwise not have been worthy of a write up, ie they are paid for. Many feature articles are presented as providing general information either to the public or that publications viewers. However it is not uncommon for companies, products or services to seen in these Feature Articles. In this case substitute features with press previews.

I'm not sure what your overall point is? Are you trying to argue this stuff doesn't effect people?

A) people who primarily write previews and reviews are game critics, not journalists
B) critics need a tablet to critique the second screen stuff. while most people have access to a tablet, there's probably enough people who wouldn't have enough access to one, or at least wouldn't have access to an ideal tablet (nexus or ipad) that they felt the need to give these out

inm8num2

That unfairly labels them all the same though, and we know that is not the case.

Certainly not, but the problem is widespread enough that it can be considered an industry-wide or profession-wide problem. That doesn't mean that every gaming reviewer/journalist is a Dorito eating, Mountain Dew drinking, Nexus 7 using soulless hack, but the larger trends being set by more prominent figures and major publishers are sort of blatant.

I'll read and try to support people whom I perceive to not be a part of the problem. Like I said, just have to laugh at it. It's as though publishers view gaming journalists as children who can be bought with simple gifts, and many of them respond in ways that validate those publisher views. It's not an issue exclusive to gaming, but it's an issue all the same.

I believe the tablets were used to show the companion app crossplay but I can't actually talk about that without breaking embargo...

I've no doubt they were but why were journalists given them to take home? If it was essential to provide the 'best experience' then why not just provide a pre-paid fedex slip to return it after the 'at home' phase of the review was done?

Nope if the device was given as a gift for the attendees to keep whatever the stated purpose it's true purpose was for improper influence.

Conezays

While I agree it's a shady practice to offer journalists gifts, the thing I understand even less is doing this sort of thing in 2014. It is blatantly obvious that this sort of thing would subsequently be talked about online and social media, only hurting Ubisoft. So I don't get it on that level...20 years ago, sure.

farisr

What is this fiasco you speak of?

I may know what he's referring to, and I didn't pay too much attention (because I pretty much stopped paying attention to Sess related things sometime early last year). But I think there was some sort of tantrum that Sess put up because he wasn't receiving a free ps4 (again I may be remembering wrong so forgive me if I am I will edit it out if it turns out it is).

No idea about Gies, that guy I never paid attention to.

TyrantII

And you knew about it, from him telling you, before he even started talking about his opinion. Even he says that's enough for some people to totally discredit his opinion, and he's right.

Disclosure is the biggest issue, bias being secondary. At least with disclosure you know opinions can be more favoritable then they should be and account for it in your own opinion.

And with boogie he also made it very clear that if he had something bad to say, it would be said regardless of if it meant no more promotions. That's integrity and he seems to have stuck to it, even if it still cause bias.

That's working withing this crappy system with morals and intergity and transparency. There's still issues, but at least its all laid out on the table for each person to make up their own opinion, which is the fair thing to do. It also doesn't make what publishers are doing right. But its at least more respectful to readers and fans, and acknowledges they're not just sheeple.

Top Bottom