• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft gave journalists a free Nexus 7 at a Watchdogs Preview event.

shamanick

Of course, most people working in the industry will not have been at this event. However, it will be extremely telling to see if “games journalists” will condemn this as unethical or not.

GoodlifeX

It wouldn't help my confidence as a reviewer if someone gave me a super expensive gift before reviewing their game.

It's amazing how sour Ive gotten about this game since it was announced. No news since its announcement has made me happy.

I know right, some are making it seem like this is the first time its happened. People in the biz get free shit all the time. How many got free Xboxes and Playstation whatevers, games, premium items the general public would love to not pay an extra $50 for ect.

From what I can tell, standard fare for large publishers and releases.

This is not the first thread about this sort of thing. Upholding the status quo of shitty practices just because they have existed for a while is useless. It is a literal call to shut down discussion and dissension.

how many people at these events aren't from major outlets? The other major outlets that don't do this practice makes the practice worthwhile
Certainly possible. Since it was made public in this case I doubt anyone will tho.

sQm2QU5.gif
Haha. I guess that's your opinion of GAF then.

Jb

That said, you think this is bad, you should see what MS/Sony and the rest give to GameStop Store Managers and higher. Over the years I've received free PS3s, a PS4, Vitas, free PS+, games, movies, Xbox Ones, and more. These are the people who speak directly with customers at a store level so those bribes are probably much more successful than any goodies given to a video game website. lol

Luckily there's an understanding in society at large that salesmen are not to be trusted. The same doesn't usually go for journalists in free countries.

Nymphae

Banned
Whose review can I trust now?

Youtube impressions & forums have been a better place for review information for years now. I think the big guys are still around purely for forum dwellers to argue about, no one really cares what a professional critic thinks. Or rather, very few people need them anymore like they were needed in the EGM days. They just stir up shit nowadays.

AHA-Lambda

Bloody hell. And people wonder why games journalists get a bad name.

Plus the avarice of Ubisoft here is outrageously shocking. I shouldn't be surprised anymore.

Dawg

I presume Ubisoft probably also paid for flights and hotel stay for alot of these journalists?

Of course they did. I don't know the exact details of US journalists etc, but they paid for my train ticket and one night at a hotel there. Honestly, I don't consider that a plus or anything. If they're hosting an event all the way in Paris, it's only normal they pay for my train from Belgium > France. And since it was too late to return home after the event, a place to sleep is something I consider normal as well.

I don't usually do a lot of these events though, but my editor-in-chief asked me if I wanted to go and I wanted to try Watch_Dogs anyway. Also gave me the opportunity to interview Jonathan Morin and ask some questions from fellow gaffers. The gameplay and interview is all I care about tbh, don't give a shit about the rest.

If the game is shit, a free train ride and hotel visit won't change my opinion. I can see how handing out a free Nexus 7 might make that hard to believe, but I didn't get one anyway so eh. But in the OP some sites were handing them to charity etc... so I don't think that every site that got one thinks it was an OK thing to do. That said, even if I got one... if I didn't like the game, I still wouldn't have liked the game. I can't speak for every 'journalist' out there but I only base my opinion off what I played/saw.

iratA

By the way all of the scenarios you describe absolutely are examples of attempts to influence people. A great example here are doctors and the millions spent on bringing them to conferences in exotic holiday spots and in 5 star hotels, guess what all these 'not bribes' drive much higher prescription rates for these products. Even when there are identical generic versions of the drug available.

We entertain customers to drive behaviour at my company and this is why we spend that money. We never have to say 'buy our product' but if we've spent a lot of money on entertaining you and talking about our product then it's pretty obvious what we want. I work at a company that would regard even a gift in the price range of a Nexus 7 as a serious violation of ethical standards. We actually have a $10 rule, if it costs more than that legal has to sign off.

We sell to a lot of government agencies which means that we come under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act which is clearly far outside the scope of what we are discussing here. It is useful as a baseline for what behaviour is not designed to improperly influence someone to buy or recommend goods or services. The gift of a Nexus 7 in this case would trigger a world of hurt.

Some have mentioned the Al-Yammamah deal BAe had to supply services and weapons to the Saudis, that deal is corrupt as all hell but the selling of weapons is a very dirty game. The investigation was dropped because firing tens of thousands workers in the UK was too politically unattractive compared to basically acknowledging that the UK government gives no****s about being known as a corrupt arms dealer. Weapons deals are rife with this stuff, I don't think there's been a single large arms deal in decades that didn't have shady 'consultancy' fees at the very least (Al-Yammahmah has been reliably reported as including several private Airbus aircraft as sweeteners), hell even Sweden's Bofors has been in the hot water.

Firstly, thank you for bringing something more to the table with this discussion. That comment was not meant as a softener to influence your opinion. lol

The acceptance of material gifts always raises an eyebrow outside of other equally if not more lavish 'non-material gifts'. Weapon Trade, Pharmaceuticals and Finance are all industries where extreme amounts of money are thrown a round in this fashion. It often looks a lot more shady on paper than what really is the norm. There is so much grey area and between ethical debates, you also have sensationalism from journalists thrown into the mix. Its a minefield.

TyrantII

LewieP made an excellent point on Twitter: Keep in mind that the only reason we know this happened in the first place is because journalists told us about it. This event shows that corruption is at work in the industry, but it also shows that there's some very good, very honest people out there.

Don't condemn gaming journalism as a whole. Just condemn the individuals.

But if we only know how and who because of a few, how do we condemn those we don't know?

Praise the ones breaking this story and disclosing shady practices I say. Light shines brightly onto the dark. Making those taking these bribes uncomfortable and looking lousy compared to their peers is also a good way of instituting some self regulation.

If you know someone how took one, say so. This kind of thing needs to be disclosed at the very minimum. After all, if its no big deal why keep it secret or hidden? Jurnos taking these bribes and not disclosing it know exactly what's up, which is why they keep it on the DL.

Axass

Anyway, I think this is an unquestionably gross practice, but as this thread goes on, it seems like many of the professional UK reporters have come out saying they didn't actually take the tablets.

Now this begs the question: the event was last week... if they were going to give the gift to charity or if they just didn't accept it... why wasn't this whole thing known beforehand? Why so many members of the press think that Ubisoft gifting tablets at a preview event shouldn't be discussed, frowned upon, or even simply made known?

As usual it has to be a fan or somebody out of the loop to let the thing come out in the open. If all the guys involved in the event just came out outright saying what happened and that they refused, the whole thing would have been way more clear. Also that would've singled out the ones who did accept, to the benefit of the "good journalists" and of the readers.

hawk2025

I'm surprised at how much people try to muddy the waters.

Put it this way:

If it has no effect on previews or reviews, why is Ubisoft giving them away?

Lucifon

OK lol @ the guy who's really mad about me posting here.

Anyway, I think this is an unquestionably gross practice, but as this thread goes on, it seems like many of the professional UK reporters have come out saying they didn't actually take the tablets. I think anyone reading this thread needs to be more responsible about playing the "lol game journalism" card when it might have very well turned out that most of the professional game journalists did the right thing here.

Nothing against hobbyists and youtubers, but if you expect people who do this for fun to hold themselves to the same standard as professional reporters, you're gonna have a bad time.

I'd happily take a free tablet and critique a game just as harshly as I would anyway. If an event gift is genuinely going to sway your opinion on a game then you shouldn't be reviewing games in the first place. Not taking the gift as part of some higher stance and personal crusade on behalf of the industry just means...you don't get a free gift. This is as big of a deal as people want to make it at the end of the day.

I do not care to check reviews, and if I do I look up gameplay or reviews by youtubers.

Youtube impressions & forums have been a better place for review information for years now. I think the big guys are still around purely for forum dwellers to argue about, no one really cares what a professional critic thinks. Or rather, very few people need them anymore like they were needed in the EGM days. They just stir up shit nowadays.
Don't be naive. They're more likely to be bribed than journalists, since they don't have any standards. I wouldn't really rely on their opinions, to be honest.

Remember EA and Battlefield 4 paying Youtubers to say good things about the launch? Machinima paying youtubers $3 per 1000 views for promoting Xbox One coverage with tagging "XB1M13" on videos?

So the public relations people behind a game that is partially a social commentary of the dangers of an increasingly more connected society decided to indiscreetly slip a $200 piece of hardware, among other things and are subject to the same issues that consumers will face in the product they are trying to promote.

Part of me wants to comment in the irony of it all but I think that this is yet another strong piece of evidence that PR firms are solidly disconnected and unaware of exactly what they're trying to sell and all they care about is how much money they can make. The dust has barely settled after Jim Sterling's last Jimquisition but once again this is an affirmation that he is completely correct. Thank God for him!

jschreier

If you think YouTube is a good place to get impressions that haven't been influenced by publishers and swag, well, I've got some bad news for you...

Gross. But sounds like this was a European thing? Worth noting. European press and US press seem to have totally different standards, rules, and practices. All that free PS3 stuff a couple years ago was also in the UK.

Jason, were you there when they gave out the Xbox 360 S model to those that attended their press conference at E3?

KORNdoggy

If you think YouTube is a good place to get impressions that haven't been influenced by publishers and swag, well, I've got some bad news for you...

I'd hope when he says youtube impressions he means joe public, not "massive youtube celebrity review channel"

Dawg

Gross. But sounds like this was a European thing? Worth noting. European press and US press seem to have totally different standards, rules, and practices. All that free PS3 stuff a couple years ago was also in the UK.

I went there with Belgian, Dutch and some Polish/Swedish journalists. Not a single one of us received a Nexus 7.

I'd happily take a free tablet and critique a game just as harshly as I would anyway. If an event gift is genuinely going to sway your opinion on a game then you shouldn't be reviewing games in the first place. Not taking the gift as part of some higher stance and personal crusade on behalf of the industry just means...you don't get a free gift. This is as big of a deal as people want to make it at the end of the day.

saying you'd be just as harsh is great and all, and I doubt these guys are actively writing their reviews thinking "they gave me stuff so I'm going to give this game a good score", but gifts - anything from free food to 200 dollar tablets - having a psychological effect on people is a real thing. some of it's mostly unavoidable and that's understandable, but that doesn't mean the issue doesn't exist.

Nymphae

Banned

I'm not saying that doesn't happen, I'm just saying I can go to youtube and see dozens of people play a game, the day it comes out. I can get a good idea of how a game plays and if I'll like it or not, simply from watching different people talk about it and play it. This to me is more valuable than game journalist's written opinions. I do find some enjoyable to read and think about, but at the end of the day, I no longer look to professional reviews as any sort of buying guide.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Whoa there cowboy, lets not get ridiculous. I think accepting these sort of GIFs makes it more difficult to remain neutral, I even think it increases the odds of unethical behavior by a truckton, but absolutely does not make it IMPOSSIBLE for someone to write a balanced review.

They should get with the times and only accept .webm

It's like people have already forgotten XB1M13. Though it's not that hard to find someone with an honest opinion, just find the guys with less than 5000 subs. They aren't worth anything to publishers. (and I speak from experience on that)

Hanmik

I went there with Belgian, Dutch and some Polish/Swedish journalists. Not a single one of us received a Nexus 7.

Do you know what sites they work for..? because it sounds even more stupid if they only gave a Nexus 7 to certain sites like Videogamer, Eurogamer etc..

My main takeway from this is "what a fucking waste of money." I really don't think these companies get the sort of measurable returns that they think they're getting by throwing this swag around.

sflufan

Banned
I wonder if they need to report this stuff as taxable income to the IRS. If mommy bloggers have to comply, why not gaming bloggers?

They absolutely do need to report it to the IRS, especially if they receive a 1099-MISC from Ubisoft if the value of the tablet is $600+.

Dr Dogg

Lets be honest here, anyone getting angry at journalists and critics should really focus their ire at the PR companies and publishers. It's not like there's been brown paper envelopes exchanging hands in a darkened car park.

kyser73

Luckily there's an understanding in society at large that salesmen are not to be trusted. The same doesn't usually go for journalists in free countries.

I haven't trusted any form of journalism since I read Manufacturing Consent about 23 years ago.

jschreier

Ethics are a personal thing to be sure, and I tend to be a hard liner about this stuff, but I think it's important to set strict boundaries. Once you make one compromise, it's easy to make another, and another, and so forth.

mclem

I find it childish and unprofessional. Is it also childish for me to point it out? Perhaps, but I'm not the professional here, and GAF is directly tied to the industry in which he works. You don't see journalists at the BBC piping up on message boards every time someone criticizes their work. Why? Because it's trite and unprofessional.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
This. NeoGAF is my only source of reviews. Between "the greatest ever!" and "piece of crap" are some pretty decent recommendations. Reviews are so tainted now, it's not even worth it.

Can you even trust GAF anymore? Sometimes the OT is so nuts, it reads like an official website.

They have people everywhere...

I kid. =)

Free PS4s and phones. Flown out to conventions and parties. Paid to play games all day and give an opinion about them.

I chose the wrong career path.

The acceptance of material gifts always raises an eyebrow outside of other equally if not more lavish 'non-material gifts'. Weapon Trade, Pharmaceuticals and Finance are all industries where extreme amounts of money are thrown a round in this fashion. It often looks a lot more shady on paper than what really is the norm. There is so much grey area and between ethical debates, you also have sensationalism from journalists thrown into the mix. Its a minefield.

Yup 'non-material' gifts are often the most insidious and effective ways to influence people which is why I find Ubisoft sweetening the pot with a free Nexus 7 so stupid. I mean they've already made these individuals feel welcome with flights and hotel accommodation ($10 says the flight wasn't Ryanair and the hotel wasn't an Ibis) why bring a spotlight to these 'perks' with an obvious gift that anyone would regard as excessive?

You're not wrong on the scale of gifts though, gaming looks positively mean given that it's thought at least €20 millions were thrown around by HDW to get the greek submarine deal (http://www.spiegel.de/international...bribed-their-way-to-greek-deals-a-693973.html) and the untold billions these practices have cost pharmaceutical companies in the US (http://www.denverpost.com/investiga...firms-have-used-dangerous-tactics-drive-sales).

guek

Banned

"message board"

also

"every time"

Even if it does occur with bigger outlets, it's still unprofessional. That pic also lacks context such as what outlet it's being printed in, where the accusation was made, etc. Seeing as how it's in print media though, there could be any number of explanations. It looks like either a response in a letter column, which would be a completely appropriate place to address such an accusation, or an entry into a letter column, which is indeed a bit petty and could have been stated through a better avenue.

unbias

Ok I see where your coming from. To be fair, I'm not saying it doesn't look a little shady when outsiders see things like this. Sometimes you just have to be involved in a particular industry to really understand how things like this are handled. I really don't mean to come off as "Super Defense Force" either. What I'm saying is this sort off thing extends to many industries and I've worked in a few of them myself.

Many high-end professional careers involve people receiving 'gifts' many of which are not even material in nature. Take for example paying hundreds of dollars to fly people to their events, including accommodation.

Now what if a particular company would like to fly another company's Executives First Class instead of Economy? Is that unethical?

What if they would like their guests to stay in 5 Star Hotels? It maybe the case that's how that particular company treats their own executives? Is that unethical?

Have you ever heard of BDM's and do you know how much money can be spent lavishing both existing and potential clients in certain industries?

To be honest a tablet would be considered a very small gift in some of these other jobs. Now people in this thread making comparisons to Government Officials accepting gifts who are essentially; voted in and being paid by the populous to serve them are required to meet all sorts of regulations in regards to 'gifts' for the sake of transparency and integrity. Its a totally different situation.

Any field where being impartial as possible with products is a must; accepting "gifts" from people that are trying to sell you something is almost always a big nono, it is imperative that you remain as impartial as possible in relation to that companies advertisements and the game.

Companies that keep/still send out gifts are not doing it to be nice, they do it because they see a rate of return that makes it worth it. Also, comparing a media industry that lives off reviews and previews to any other non product review/preview/endorsement industry is being pretty ignorant of why it is different(advertisement and marketing work on everyone to some degree). As for the Thief argument that "well it got a 6/10", that argument would only work if 6/10 was the lowest it could have gone. Maybe the reviews would have been even more harsh and/or the scores even lower if there wasnt a perception of partnership/friendship or some other non product related reason for given them a, higher then you would otherwise, score(and/or you might have written harsher things). Gifts, travel events, press kits, and ect are forms of nonrational influence marketing advertisement and it has been proven, through studies, to have real influence on individuals.

Nobody is immune to these sort of things(gifts and advertisement in general), you are not immune to it, everyone just reacts different to different forms of advertisement, but it still effects you. And the fact that game companies still do press events(like being sent to nice area's and ect), press kits, gifts, oh and also hiring from said media field, along with other random things, infers them spending money on these sort of things still has a rate of return worth investing in. So everyone who actually chimes in and says "oh it doesn't matter" or "it doesn't effect me" are part of the problem and are either lying or ignorant to all the psychological reasoning behind these corporations "gifts".

As for the government being a totally different situations... In terms of positions sure, but the reasoning behind why you cant still is the same. Objectivity is, in part, lost. People who argue otherwise are probably the same people who think advertisement doesn't effect them.

KPJZKC

One of the firs things I had to do after joining my most recent company was take training for Business Ethical Conduct - at the time I found a lot of the situations I had to study completely laughable, but I guess I can appreciate that they might not be as "obvious" to everyone now.

Top Bottom