• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nostalgia Critic |OT| He Remembers It So You Don't Have To

Jawmuncher

I definitely am enjoying these older film reviews. I don't mind him doing newer films. But sometimes it's way too front loaded. Like sequel month this year was way too much new stuff.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Surprised Doug wasn't so negative on Balto.

For me, the movie has mostly decent animation and is an easy sit for kids. It does its job even if its inaccurate as fuck.

I don't mind inaccuracies so long as it's entertaining, which I think Balto still is.

Same reason I can still enjoy Cool Runnings, which was just as accurate as Balto.

Jawmuncher

Really enjoyed the Balto review.
With the line at the end, i'm curious now which reviews were written by who. I know it's usually a Doug and Rob joint. But i'll have to see the times where it was just one of them.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh yeah, one thing I noticed - Doug has retired the Questions character he had made from the beginning huh? That's sad, it's usually his Critic, Bum, and That Guy. Then again, Bum has no show of his own anymore too.

I don't mind inaccuracies so long as it's entertaining, which I think Balto still is.

Same reason I can still enjoy Cool Runnings, which was just as accurate as Balto.

Pretty much.

Though I love Chick's statement that the actual events would make a good feel good movie too, but I guess the underdog doesn't win there.

I believe making a review on the TT games could be pretty tedious if Doug was to explore everything in the game, like all scenarios and characters based on the actions you performed and your choice of words. I.e. making Lee likable vs making him unlikable.

Though unlike having to play through Dragon's Lair, it would be pretty easy for him to go through playing the games. And he would probably just need to base his overall thoughts on the games based on the scenarios that occur, no matter what you do.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Should Bad Singers be Dubbed?

Not sure if he'll talk about it, but would've been interesting if he dove into "should anime songs be dubbed?", considering some companies did it back in the '80s & early '90s, but almost is never done now. Edit: & by "anime songs", I mean less the OP and more those insert songs you'd see that were sung by the voice actors.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
At least Michael B. Jordan gets to be in Black Panther.

It will be impressive if the 2022 reboot is somehow worse than this.

Boss Doggie

I've actually avoided seeing it in theaters but saw it in TV.

Holy fucking shit it's bad, the early 2000's F4 was much better.

Also Rise of the Silver Surfer is my guilty pleasure.

At least Michael B. Jordan gets to be in Black Panther.

It will be impressive if the 2022 reboot is somehow worse than this.

Wait, there's another one!?

Fuchsdh

Ah I see.

Honestly I actually think they need to embrace the campiness of F4.

It's weird, in that (to filmmakers' credit) the Fantastic Four seems to have aged worse than a lot of Marvel properties. The whole bickering family setup is a lot harder to pull off and their origin with the space race is a lot more dated. But it seems clear that the only people who should probably try at this point are Disney & Marvel.

Cheerilee

Isn't their current status allow at least the two to interact?

Chris Evans = Captain America. He's totally clear to appear in Black Panther's movie (the Black Panther character was only just introduced in the recent Captain America movie).

But there's no obvious reason for Captain America to appear in Black Panther's movie.

But if he did appear, then yeah, this Marvel Movie would include two people who had both previously played Johnny Storm in the forbidden land of Fox-Made Marvel Movies.

Just watched the Fan4stic episode. not bad. He makes some decent points about the action being so small and pointless, or how stupid the last act real is.

Wasn't a fan of him making fun of Dr. Doom's real last name Von Doom, sure it's silly, but it was the 1960's, and obvious names like that were the norm. I think it's a fun last name personally. Also I think the adequately impressive three skit when on a bit too long.

Otherwise, I thought it was pretty amusing.

Wasn't a fan of him making fun of Dr. Doom's real last name Von Doom, sure it's silly, but it was the 1960's, and obvious names like that were the norm. I think it's a fun last name personally.

Yeah I personally wished Doug wasn't so nitpicky about Von Doom being Victor's last name; he's always had the surname since day 1 in his debut. May as well complain to Marvel in general, since that's always been the case in the comics. It almost sounds as bothersome as Doug laughing at how ridiculous Blackheart as the name of a villain was in his Ghost Rider review.

But overall, a pretty solid episode. Surprised he didn't mention about some shots showing Kate Mara clearly wearing a wig.

And man when I heard that this would be darker and edgier than the previous F4 films, I didn't think they would literally make the film dark.

I'm very glad that I skipped that film entirely. Just wish Fox wasn't so stubborn and allowed Constantin Film (again the actual F4 movie license holder) to have the F4 film rights return to Marvel. In hindsight, the reboot made me better appreciate the Tim Story films and the unreleased 1994 film.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Chris Evans = Captain America. He's totally clear to appear in Black Panther's movie (the Black Panther character was only just introduced in the recent Captain America movie).

But there's no obvious reason for Captain America to appear in Black Panther's movie.

Well, he is a refugee in Wakanda, so it makes sense

error4041

Honestly, if someone wanted to make a good Fantastic Four movie/show. they should just use Rick and Morty has a base. both focus on super science and family, Rick and Reed are self-destructive assholes, Reed and Sue constantly bicker and make up like Beth and Jerry, and Ben and Johnny bicker much like Morty and Summer. Just take out the inappropriate humor and replace it with super heroics, and you already have a better Fantastic Four adaptation that anything that has come before

Yeah I personally wished Doug wasn't so nitpicky about Von Doom being Victor's last name; he's always had the surname since day 1 in his debut. May as well complain to Marvel in general, since that's always been the case in the comics. It almost sounds as bothersome as Doug laughing at how ridiculous Blackheart as the name of a villain was in his Ghost Rider review.

But overall, a pretty solid episode. Surprised he didn't mention about some shots showing Kate Mara clearly wearing a wig.

And man when I heard that this would be darker and edgier than the previous F4 films, I didn't think they would literally make the film dark.

I'm very glad that I skipped that film entirely. Just wish Fox wasn't so stubborn and allowed Constantin Film (again the actual F4 movie license holder) to have the F4 film rights return to Marvel. In hindsight, the reboot made me better appreciate the Tim Story films and the unreleased 1994 film.

Its comic books. I'm sure why he'd expect the names of the villains to be less "evil sounding". Sure it's blatant, but it's good blatant.

You made the right decision. The film is pretty much awful, with no redeeming qualities ever. The film is literally dark all the time, it's not an exaggeration. Doug wasn't wrong when he said that the 94 film was the best representation of the FF in live-action.

does anyone else find Doug painfully unfunny and annoying, but still watch this because he puts effort into his videos and has some good observations? Never forget him judging the entirety of the Pokemon franchise based on the first movie.

zeemumu

Honestly, if someone wanted to make a good Fantastic Four movie/show. they should just use Rick and Morty has a base. both focus on super science and family, Rick and Reed are self-destructive assholes, Reed and Sue constantly bicker and make up like Beth and Jerry, and Ben and Johnny bicker much like Morty and Summer. Just take out the inappropriate humor and replace it with super heroics, and you already have a better Fantastic Four adaptation that anything that has come before

It's the "replace it with super heroics" part that they seem to have a problem with. Plus they seem to have an issue with having a villain who wasn't created by the protagonist. Why can't Doom already be an established presence with old ties to Reed? Why does he have to be made in the same freak accident that made the Four? Because it makes it more personal? You can't just have them foil the plans of his Doombots and have him recognize Reed and be like "I'm not getting outdone by him again because I'm DOOM, damn it"?

Boss Doggie

I still think Rise of the Silver Surfer was great because it had no "origins" shtick and allowed the four to do their stuff. Also had cool lines and moments (Sue's "I can make a barrier in your body and expand it" and Reed's "This nerd is now the one leading you jocks"), and was even referenced by Super Skrull I think.

does anyone else find Doug painfully unfunny and annoying, but still watch this because he puts effort into his videos and has some good observations? Never forget him judging the entirety of the Pokemon franchise based on the first movie.

I'll just put it as the person not liking Pokemon, and honestly I don't really feel the first movie either.

BatDan

If they want the von Doom thing to work, he needs to be ruler of Latveria from the get-go.

tomtom94

It's difficult to tell from the review, but it looks like to me Fox and Trank went into Fant4stic planning on doing a Nolan-esque dark and gritty reboot and halfway through got a memo saying it ought to be more like Marvel (see also: Apocalypse). But there's no excuse for the "clever" references in the script.

I'm also surprised Doug didn't mention the reshoots (pretty sure they're the reason for all of the shots of people standing around WATCHING the second act action) but then it's Nostalgia Critic, not Bad Movie Beatdown, so maybe I shouldn't be.

I liked the review, it was good to see some proper non-forced emotion from Doug.

Boss Doggie

If they want the von Doom thing to work, he needs to be ruler of Latveria from the get-go.

Yeah this I never got, why they keep avoiding him from Latveria? I think the only time the movie did that was in RotSS, and it was only through a caption.

Would be great if Doom's Latverian roots were explored more in film; not one film has explored much of that aside from a few nods. Plus the 1994 film was the only film in which he is shown ruling, his true-to-text transition to evil prior to donning the armor and a Doombot.

In retrospect, it was the closet to carrying the spirit of the Fantastic Four, albeit it practically had no budget. And the Tim Story films weren't particularly that bad either.

Update: NC Editorial - Is This the Best Joker Death?

And also released today featuring the NC, Awesome Video Game Memories - Nintendo vs. Sega: The Console Wars

Boss Doggie

That's one of my favorite reviews. From the older style NC, there isn't too many reviews I dislike. I still rewatch a lot of them from time to time.
I enjoy many of his old reviews, but that one is still bad.

My favorite old reviews were the list ones, the three Nintendo related reviews, and any of the animated films

BatDan

Tomorrow's episode

Also, Brad Jones has released his newest movie "Jesus, Bro" to DVD and on-demand services. Doug is in it as an antagonist.
It's a satire on the recent trend of "Christplotation" films like God's Not Dead.

Top Bottom