• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Boken

Banned
That's totally not what either Ghostcrawler or I'm talking about. By "easier to get into" I mean doing well enough to to fulfill my role in the level of content I'm doing (like not getting killed in 3 seconds in PVP), not gaming the LFG system to have others carry me through content.

I think ghostcrawler didn't explain it enough. By "easier to get into" he means - easier to swap from one to the other for people who focus mostly on one aspect of the game. Since PvP gear is essentially the same as PvE gear at that ilvl, you don't have to grind the prerequisite PvE gear. Say you only did PvP and had 397 ilvl PvP gear, that's the same as 397 PvE gear and you can jump right in rather than having to grind up PvE gear up to that level.

Then with the Power/Defence gap - it depends how much they give you. Everybody's base is 30% and if PvP gear gives 10%, PvE'rs aren't at a massive disadvantage.

TheYanger

Yeah I'm still not sure what's confusing. Who is talking about 346 blues?

Let me give you some example sets of gear:

PVE gear ilevel 500
PVP gear ilevel 490

PVP gear has stats equal to an ilevel 490 pve gear, when used in pve.
PVP gear has...say 5% offense and defense. Nothing monumental, but clearly superior FOR PVP than the 10 ilevel stat difference on the pve gear.

PVE gear is now functional in PVP at about a 4% offense/defense penalty (pretending 1% is made up for by the superior stats, it might not be).
PVP gear is 10 ilevels less functional than that PVE set.

Nowhere does it say they need to be vast swathes of ilevel apart, the PVP gear is still best for PVP in this scenario, and the PVE gear is best for PVE, while both still being 'good' for the other in a pinch.

If the previous tier was say, PVE 490 and PVP 480, then they could potentially even be equal to the previous tier's gear.

Cipherr

And how does it help a player in MOP S1 PVP gear get into 2nd tier raiding? Everyone else will be in raid epics and you'll basically still be in Heroic blues.

You didnt read his description of the ilvl differences at all if you think the highlighted is the case.

Read this again:

You misread. It's lower ilevel, but the pvp stats don't come out of the budget anymore, they're completely free.
So basically, the best pve gear for instance would be like the current 410 DS loot, and the best pvp gear would be the 397 normal mode level DS loot but with a bunch of extra pvp stats ON TOP OF what was already there. Right now it's in place of.

The gap between the ilvl 410 and 397 PVP gear is NOT the same as going into a raid in heroic blues. If the pvp person has the current tier of PvP armor then they will be able to merge into raiding much easier than they can now, since the relative PvE based stats will be much closer to actual PvE gear.

If you are asking about someone NOT wearing current season PvP gear, then I dont understand your angle. If you take a break from a game, or dont get any current season/tier gear, you will be behind in ilvl whether you PvE or PvP period.

Yeah I'm still not sure what's confusing. Who is talking about 346 blues?

You didnt read his description of the ilvl differences at all if you think the highlighted is the case.

Read this again:

The gap between the ilvl 410 and 397 PVP gear is NOT the same as going into a raid in heroic blues. If the pvp person has the current tier of PvP armor then they will be able to merge into raiding much easier than they can now, since the relative PvE based stats will be much closer to actual PvE gear.

If you are asking about someone NOT wearing current season PvP gear, then I dont understand your angle. If you take a break from a game, or dont get any current season/tier gear, you will be behind in ilvl whether you PvE or PvP period.

The difference between 346 heroic blues and 359 (BOT & BWD gear) raid epics (which is what you should have had for Firelands when it first came out) is the same as the difference between 410 and 397, 13 levels. That's why I made that example. I wouldn't want someone in 346 PVE gear joining my group of 9 with 359 gear for progression Firelands raiding, much less someone in 346 PVP gear, which wouldn't have the stats you need for raiding at all. Imagine if a Rogue tried to go into a raid with last season's gear with no haste, no mastery, way below the expertise cap, and scrounging for hit. You really want that Rogue in your raid? Hell no. The same goes for someone in 359 gear trying to skip Firelands and getting into Dragon Soul raiding or someone in Firelands gear trying to skip normal DS and going straight into Heroic DS. That shit is not going to fly. Maybe it will fly for Raid Finder, but not for real raiding.

Let me give you some example sets of gear:

PVE gear ilevel 500
PVP gear ilevel 490

PVP gear has stats equal to an ilevel 490 pve gear, when used in pve.
PVP gear has...say 5% offense and defense. Nothing monumental, but clearly superior FOR PVP than the 10 ilevel stat difference on the pve gear.

PVE gear is now functional in PVP at about a 4% offense/defense penalty (pretending 1% is made up for by the superior stats, it might not be).
PVP gear is 10 ilevels less functional than that PVE set.

Nowhere does it say they need to be vast swathes of ilevel apart, the PVP gear is still best for PVP in this scenario, and the PVE gear is best for PVE, while both still being 'good' for the other in a pinch.

If the previous tier was say, PVE 490 and PVP 480, then they could potentially even be equal to the previous tier's gear.

OK, if the PVP Def and Power are around that, then maybe it'll be alright to go PVP in raid gear, but they also run the risk of people completely ignoring PVP gear like at the end of Burning Crusade. I still don't think using PVP gear for raiding will work for the reasons I stated above.

TheYanger

The difference between 346 heroic blues and 359 (BOT & BWD gear) raid epics (which is what you should have had for Firelands when it first came out) is the same as the difference between 410 and 397, 13 levels. That's why I made that example. I wouldn't want someone in 346 PVE gear joining my group of 9 with 359 gear for progression Firelands raiding, much less someone in 346 PVP gear, which wouldn't have the stats you need for raiding at all. Imagine if a Rogue tried to go into a raid with last season's gear with no haste, no mastery, way below the expertise cap, and scrounging for hit. You really want that Rogue in your raid? Hell no. The same goes for someone in 359 gear trying to skip Firelands and getting into Dragon Soul raiding or someone in Firelands gear trying to skip normal DS and going straight into Heroic DS. That shit is not going to fly. Maybe it will fly for Raid Finder, but not for real raiding.

OK, if the PVP Def and Power are around that, then maybe it'll be alright to go PVP in raid gear, but they also run the risk of people completely ignoring PVP gear like at the end of Burning Crusade. I still don't think using PVP gear for raiding will work for the reasons I stated above.
There's no way the disparity in ilevel will be big enough for it not to work, it's the ENTIRE point of them using this system. Hell, pvp gear can be 1 ilevel worse and it's STILL worse for pve, so why would they make it so far behind? in all likelihood, they would make it so as each new tier/season comes out, the new pvp gear is the same ilevel or a bit higher than the old pve tier was. So firelands comes out, new pvp gear is 359 or 365 or something.

There's also no risk of anyone ignoring PVP def and power at those stats. None. What would be the benefit? the current benefit to ignoring pvp gear has always been more damage output, by putting pvp power on gear as well as pvp defense you remove ANY incentive to use pve gear over pvp gear.

Loxley

Finally coming back to the game today after taking a leave of absence in late-January to focus on schoolwork.

Because I like coming back to something new, I faction-changed my 85 Goblin Shaman back to a Dwarf (fun fact: he started out as a Draenei back in TBC, then an Orc, then a Dwarf when Cata launched, then a Goblin, now finally back to a Dwarf :D).

I went from a crappy-geared Enh Shammy to a crappy geared Resto Shammy, but I did have enough points to grab the Season 11 shoulders and begin the long process of getting a full PvP set. I enjoy healing more in PvP than I do actually dealing damage for whatever reason, so I'm looking forward to doing more Battlegrounds - which I have always vastly preferred to Arenas.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I know that "Random is random"... but Deathwing just dropped 4 daggers in LFR, and the ONE rogue we had in our group won all 4.

L.O.L.

Bisnic

It's a rogue only weapon, need always have priority over greed and disenchant, and he needed all 4 when he was the only rogue in the group. What Blizzard did recently only affect need rolls.

My brother won the hunter staff and both bows that dropped off his first raid their and I saw two two-handers that I didnt win! bit odd really.

Manus

I got my 3 piece on my first LFR, granted I Play a Warlock so their really wasn't many people rolling on it. I did just win Rathrak, the Poisonous Mind. Was a huge upgrade for me.

Rokam

Guy kills me while I'm doing Molten Front dailies, while I'm at half health. Since I have all the time in the world I camp the shit out of him, and he logs over and starts berating me. :) Not sure why he thought I'd just let him live. It's funny, I've been playing on Mal'Ganis for quite some time and very very very rarely see Alliance players, but in the last few days I've been killed numerous times. Realize just how bad not having pvp gear is, but it's nice to actually see people.

Because I like coming back to something new, I faction-changed my 85 Goblin Shaman back to a Dwarf (fun fact: he started out as a Draenei back in TBC, then an Orc, then a Dwarf when Cata launched, then a Goblin, now finally back to a Dwarf :D).

You faction changed 4 times on one character? Goddamn!

Bisnic

I dont know how people can stand the PvP in WoW. It is so terrible.

I don't know how i did it in the past weeks too... i did it daily for conquest points, and despite being a holy paladin with 4000+ resilience, it wasn't always easy. Either Horde always focused me, either i was the only healer in my group, either we had a couple of undergeared people(read less than 110k HP), either people didn't defend nodes, either people fought at the middle of the field, either people were raging at each others in chat... sure, there was the rare BG where we owned Horde and won thanks to my healing, but like i said... it was rare.

Yeah i'm glad i got my complete paladin set now for transmogrification... It sucks so bad that i transfered valor points into conquest points for weeks just to save time on that grinding. Now i can finally go back to use my valor point for PVE loot, yay!

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
So I'm on rags fight to get my legendary...

Rags has 12% health left, I get a windows error that minimizes my wow screen and in those few seconds, I die to that blazing fire on the ground while my healer DCs.

No weapon this week.

Damnit!!

Entropia

No One Remembers
New Scroll of Resurrection Details

Scroll of Resurrection Revamp - Free lvl 80 Character and more!
The new Scroll of Resurrection revamp seems to be on live servers and includes a free level 80 character and a free character/faction change for the person you're bringing back to the game! We will probably get more information from Blizzard very soon.

We can only assume that the Spectral Gryphon and Spectral Wyvern Mounts teaser from yesterday means people doing the recruiting also get nice perks.

Thanks to Kaeh for his forum post!

sor.jpg

Swag

Do you have to go to your friends server with the new scroll, or can I just get a free level 80 on the server I previously played on?

Entropia

No One Remembers
Do you have to go to your friends server with the new scroll, or can I just get a free level 80 on the server I previously played on?

Based on how it's worded - the returning player gets a free faction/server change to the user's server, as well as the level 80 and such.

Naka

Cool. I have a friend I can use this on. I sure wish I could have a lvl 80 as well :(

I wonder if at a certain point they will allow us to just create a level 80 character? Obviously they are putting something in place to make the new level 80 viable. Seems like it could definitely be an option for existing players in the future.

New bonuses are pretty great.

I wonder what the limitations are though in regards to applying to people who already have Cataclysm, or if it will only work on people with Wrath or BC. How many times a person can be resurrected, and what the minimum window of time for resurrection is (3 months still?) And does the free level 80 only apply to the character sent the scroll? What if you already had an 80/85? Can you use the free level up on any one of your characters that are a lower level?

Huh. This new scroll of resurrection could be a great opportunity to transfer my lowly druid, second character in the full game ever, for basically free. And get free levels at the same time. He's 40ish, but I'm still attached to him since he has a couple Feats of Strength that even my main doesn't have (4th Anniversary, 2008 Holiday Gift). That server is also the only one that I have the unlimited use Baby Blizzard Bear on as well.

And it's still not clear if you can transfer one character (say your 85 main), and boost a different one, rather than doing both to the same toon.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
I tried to send my second account a res but for some reason it didn't work, maybe 'cause they're under the same name. /shrug

Edit: Nvm, took about 30-40 mins to receive...

Echoplx

Anyone else not able to log in?

Also I just bought time + cata and rolled a new toon because my last one was on amun'thul and didn't want to pay for transfer. Fuck you Blizzard.

Stupid comment incoming but jesus PvP is so much better when you are properly geared for it! Been smashing faces after I spent a few hours running dungeons, converting to pvp points and then gearing up.

Bahaha 6 min tol barad victory with 4 people. Server was shutting down in 15mins and we managed to sneak in and win. Nice 800 honor for 6mins work!

bjb

Banned
I'm sorry but you couldn't pay me to return to play Cataclysm.

This expansion is such a heaping pile of shit it's not even funny.

Top Bottom