• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Aliens Colonial Marines Wii U version "postponed indefinitely"

tmarques

Maybe a mod should make the thread title less misleading? To clarify again, there's no confirmation of this. We heard it from a tipster, Sega denied it, and today Sega told me they're not commenting on anything.

Isn't going from denying to "no comment" pretty much the same as confirming it though? I swear it happens with every celebrity divorce.

Hiltz

One less bad game coming to Wii U. I'm just annoyed at how much of a wasted opportunity this was they could have just given Wii U owners Borderlands 2 in the first place. No one is gonna care about the GamePad being used as motion tracker when Sega and Gearbox were fully aware of how crappy Colonial Marines was.

Stoffinator

I wonder whether the Wii U version was ever actually in development or if Pitchford just talked out of his ass when he praised that particular version of the game.

Going by the game, I say his ass. I would like them, Gearbox, to answer the question as to why the so called playable demo looked so good and yet the final game is so bad looking. Did they intentionally lie?

Nairume

Banned
One less bad game coming to Wii U. I'm just annoyed at how much of a wasted opportunity when they could have just given Wii U owners Borderlands 2 in the first place. No one is gonna care about the GamePad being used as motion tracker when Sega and Gearbox were fully aware of how crappy the game was.

Porting the game would be just as difficult as increasing the level cap!

Whompa

"Kotaku heard from a tipster"

How many times has that sentence popped up and been 100% wrong? 100% of the time?

Regardless, it's a shame Gearbox dropped the ball that hard on the game. I wouldn't waste anymore time on that game tbh.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
youre-merely-postponing-the-inevitable.jpg

While it's easy to say that Wii U owners dodged a bullet here, if they could have pulled off 4-5 player splitscreen coop that would have been fantastic and a great way to play an otherwise horribad game.

antonz

No. Aside from nostalgia why would anyone want to look at that?

having it on the gamepad would be pretty damn convenient compared to having to push a button to bring out the scanner and thus move your weapon into a non fire mode.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
having it on the gamepad would be pretty damn convenient compared to having to push a button to bring out the scanner and thus move your weapon into a non fire mode.
Is it even that integral to the game (beyond fan service/nostalgia), though?

Oddduck

I see one of two possibilities:

1) The Wii U version wasn't ready and Sega is sufficiently scared at Wii U software performance to not want to throw more money into it.

2) The Wii U version wasn't ready and Sega is sufficiently scared at A:CM performance/quality to not want to throw more money into it.

(or both, really)

Yeah it's probably both, haha.

Has any game recovered in sales from a terrible release before? I remember the Alone in the Dark PS3 version getting some improvements, but that didn't help at all.

Saw it coming once I was done with level 2. No way they can release this game weeks later and expect sales after the shit storm that just rolled in for the other versions.
Nintendo fans are notoriously picky when it comes to 3rd party games, so there's no way a shit filled missile will fly under the radar.

Nemesis_

It had great potential on paper. The gamepad could have functioned as the Alien Motion Scanner.

aliens_classicscenes4.jpg

To be quite fair, the way the game is [now] designed it makes the motion tracker almost useless. There is no reason to pull it out - ever. Every environment is brightly lit, there's shitloads of Aliens who announce themselves pretty clearly before they appear (and that's when they ARE aliens and not random Weyland-Yutani troops) and most of them make so much noise that you'll know where they're coming from.

It's very clear that somewhere between the initial demo and the actual final release, that someone really dudebro'd it up.

I'm co-oping with three other work buddies - it's *okay* that way, but yeah, motion tracker is pointless and useless.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Yeah, I don't get it. I don't know why this warrants a NeoGAF thread, or why it's now on [that banned site about going to nintendo] and MyNintendoNews and wherever else. I didn't even explain who the tipster was or what they said.

There's a reason I didn't turn this into a Kotaku story.

Maybe because you posted on Kotaku, inviting your readers to "fill in the blanks," adding a coy smiley face. You implied it's true. So should we believe what you say, or assume what you say is bullshit right off the bat?

Wouldn't be surprising considering the reception.

It would be silly to spend the amount of money they did on a Wii U version of this game, and end up not making any of it back especially after the other versions are being critically panned across the board. In my opinion it would be a bigger mistake not to release the Wii U version if it was far into development consider the game is likely not to sell well on the other platforms.

The absence of a Wii U version actually enhances the library of that system.

Shame on SEGA and Gearbox for misleading the public and making us think it was to be top-quality game. That game was botched, and botched big time. People ought to be fired over that. And it only goes to further ruin the chances of further money being spent on continuing the Alien franchise.

God, what a waste...

JDSN

Banned
The WiiU version and all its potential of generating tension was ruined the moment previews revealed that alien spawn close to you and the rooms are full of light. But its Kotaku so WiiU version confirmed.

hachi

Banned
It seems to me that they could recoup a little money if the Wii U version is already complete.

1. Wait a couple months so as to avoid insulting the full price purchasers.
2. Throw it on the eShop only.
3. $15-20.

Surely it would get its share of sales just to have a laugh over a few beers? Or... actually I still wouldn't buy it probably so never mind.

freddy

Banned
There's a reason I didn't turn this into a Kotaku story.

Why? It's not like you guys have a reputation to protect. If you're trying to build one starting from today, then that's great news. Maybe that should be the story you run.

I can see it now:

Kotaku starting the long road to becoming credible! Click here to see the details!

mclem

I see one of two possibilities:

1) The Wii U version wasn't ready and Sega is sufficiently scared at Wii U software performance to not want to throw more money into it.

2) The Wii U version wasn't ready and Sega is sufficiently scared at A:CM performance/quality to not want to throw more money into it.

(or both, really)

I'd offer a 3, which is sort of a corollary to 2: Take the Miiverse reactions for Rayman Legends, and imagine what they'd be like if A:CM released in this form.

Top Bottom