• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starcraft Remastered confirmed [Summer 2017]. Original SC/BW to be free!

Haha I couldn't tell if the gifs were from the original or not, and then I realized how awesome that is! Happy the game aesthetically looks the same. YES

Error 404

Neo Member
Why would they make SC Anthology free... wouldn't they be heavily cutting into SC: remastered sales?

I think it's a way to draw people in to a relatively forgotten game and when they realize just how fun it is, they may opt to trade the jankier version for the upscaled version.

Error 404

Neo Member
looking at the comparisons here, http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/brood-war/520462-starcraft-remastered-graphics-comparisons

it looks very nice. No wonder it took this long, it's not some cheap filtering trash. They actually created brand new assets.

If same thing applies to Warcraft III eventually, it's going to look glorious. They can import wow assets into that even.

Apart from the hud, i dont see much difference lol

Check the above link. I couldn't tell much difference at first either, but looking at the above comparisons really shows the cleanup.

WillyFive

Art is amazing, but changing the audio is always the worst thing a developer does when remaking a game. Way to ruin the experience.

Robot Pants

9Z2Zjy4V_9rMY8dE7-piL23Ktc0=.gif

HF2014

Now i am very happy. Not that i am a fan of Starcraft, but seeing this mean Diablo 2 will get thr same treatment. Its a game i want to play but the continuous bot spamming get on my nerves.

They finally listen!

Woorloog

Banned
BattlecruiserHD.jpg

Holy shit the new BC sprite is beautiful!

(I hate the SC2 toy battlecruiser, the cinematic cutscene one is OK but still not the same as the original.)

Pooya

looking at the webms fullscreen, the game looks so nice... I wonder how they much ask for this. $40 seems fair but I'm guessing it's going to be lower.

Pooya

normally I'd say 15 bucks, but this has Blizzard treatment all over it so I could see it being higher. I don't get the impression that they actually care about nickel and diming people with a 20yo game and rather want to have as many people get into StarCraft again hence the original being free now and cross play. I think it's going to be cheaper than 10 HS card packs...

Blues1990

I think StarCraft II (and it's expansions) are great. Don't fully understand why people are upset, as it's basically more of the same RTS goodness.

More sleepless nights with high school friends comin right up.

Anyone else still recite quotes from this game?

"I can't build there!" "Need a light?" "Ready to roll out!" "Ghost awaiting order. "

Kudo

Rather than this or WC3 I'd want WC2 with working online play and support for HD Graphics, but this is pretty cool too.

StayDead

More sleepless nights with high school friends comin right up.

Anyone else still recite quotes from this game?

"I can't build there!" "Need a light?" "Ready to roll out!" "Ghost awaiting order. "

Considering I still play Broodwar for about 2 hours a day I could probably list most of them.

Spacejaws

Would love too but after the Diablo III offline nonsense I have not bought another Blizzard game and never will until they change their attitude to offline play.

dmr87

Rather than this or WC3 I'd want WC2 with working online play and support for HD Graphics, but this is pretty cool too.

Their team for this is called the Classic Games team so I'm sure more will come, and they've worked on this for about 12 months. I would also prefer WC2 to WC3.

MadGear

Hype city! Now WC3 next!

After having replayed the game just recently I honestly think that WC3 holds up pretty well. I certainly wouldn't say no to a visual overhaul (even if it was just done within the existing engine's limitations) but I think that by adding smaller features through patches, like a proper widescreen support, a slightly reworked UI (it's huuuge), built-in grid hotkeys, ... the game would be perfectly fine. Obviously when talking about competitive there are other things that need to get addressed (map pool, maybe balance, cheat prevention, ...) but I don't think that the game really needs a remaster to get old or even new players interested in the game.

ekurisona

Would love too but after the Diablo III offline nonsense I have not bought another Blizzard game and never will until they change their attitude to offline play.

RPS: What if people don't want to commit to a community? What if they just want to play the game?

Martens: We didn't make that game. That's the straight-up answer. We did not make that game, and we're not going to turn this game into that game. We have the online mode because we learned a lot over the many, many years that Diablo II was in development.

That was the wrong choice to allow people to play offline, and we still stand by that. And we think Internet access is widespread. If someone has no Internet access, then yeah, Diablo III is not the game for them.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/11/13/blizzard-talks-diablo-iiis-new-path-defends-online-req/

Kalnos

Banned
After having replayed the game just recently I honestly think that WC3 holds up pretty well. I certainly wouldn't say no to a visual overhaul (even if it was just done within the existing engine's limitations) but I think that by adding smaller features through patches, like a proper widescreen support, a slightly reworked UI (it's huuuge), built-in grid hotkeys, ... the game would be perfectly fine. Obviously when talking about competitive there are other things that need to get addressed (map pool, maybe balance, cheat prevention, ...) but I don't think that the game really needs a remaster to get old or even new players interested in the game.

The biggest thing it needs is for the 250ms(?) delay to be removed from WC3 ladder games so that everyone isn't forced onto private servers.

I still think they should just do a remaster in the same way they did here though.

Spacejaws

You can play SC2 offline, you just won't get achievements.

Im on a ship for 4-8 months. Apprently there's a 30 day activation required?

Still not something I want to endorse.

I love playing Diablo II offline so this further cements the fact that they are not a company for me or make games for me. I'd be interested to know if they will have required online activation for a starcraft remake every 30 days too or any Diablo remake in the future :/

ScOULaris

Ho-lee shit. Will all the old custom maps still work in the Remaster? If so this is an absolute dream come true for me. I can't believe it.

Fancolors

Ho-lee shit. Will all the old custom maps still work in the Remaster? If so this is an absolute dream come true for me. I can't believe it.

I would assume yes since people with the Remaster will be able to play with the free/old BW players. I can't see why they wouldn't allow it.

ScOULaris

The more I'm reading up on this remaster the more I'm in awe. It's just... perfect. They did everything right with this, and I will be beyond ecstatic if it ends up reviving the Brood War online community to some extent.

F2P Brood War with an optional HD remaster. Modern online accouterments. Importing over your classic Battle.net account and history. Bringing back chat channels. UMS and replays working the same as before. Perfectly redone HD 2D art that can be zoomed in on. Support for widescreen and 4K. And on and on...

It's unbelievable. Thank you, Blizzard.

Top Bottom