• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rhythm Tengoku Community Thread - Hey Baby, How's It Going?

zroid

Banned
dat Smash trophy

iuP52qYR1ndmi.jpg

iQouobeplg2VN.jpg

Here's a live version of Fan Club. This crowd being so in to it and playing along makes this video awesome.

http://youtu.be/rhLTdYy4OYs

shoutouts to the few folks in the crowd doing the fan club 2 cues, keep fighting the good fight buddies

I see the DS game's live performances posted around a lot, but I actually hadn't seen these ones of Fever's until relatively recently. Much smaller production, but still interesting.

I Love You, My One and Only

Dreams of Our Generation

Dr. Buni

Welcome back! I think there are chances, definitely. Not to suggest that we're anywhere close to the end of WiiU's lifespan but RT games have always come out late in the generation. Although I could also see them going back to portables.

That said, I would prefer WiiU - they could have button AND touch controls for different games, two player mode with one person holding a Wiimote and looking at the TV, the other person looking at something different on the Gamepad but both would see the results of the other player's actions represented on their screen, etc. I don't think 3D would do much for the game. I definitely can't hold the DS still when things get intense in Gold.
Thank you!

Yeah, I would rather have the game on the Wii U too, as HD Rhythm Heaven sounds a lot more appealing than 3D Rhythm Heaven. They could use the Gamepad in some clever ways, I think.

MercuryLS

Banned
I got my Wii Remote today so I'm playing through Fever again. Man I love this game, I hope Nintendo makes more games like this in the future.

daydream

Banned
teRPhM1.gif

Anyone planning to play some RT over the holidays? I think I might play through Fever again since that's the one I've played the least of. (Also, I've been rediscovering and reevaluating the soundtrack a bit.)

Come to think of it, I was thinking about Christmas/holiday imagery in these games and really, nothing came to mind. Am I blanking on something?

Yes Boss!

I'm definitely playing it over the holidays. Kinda a Christmas Tradition (this will be the second year). I've got it hooked up to a 20 PVM for no lag and it is tons of fun like that.

Also, was playing the arcade last friday for a bit after resetting my arcade room. did not attache the signage or turn on the lights:

CB6B5B3C-4494-4D6E-AF28-9CEDD8A8F3C7_zpszy6cebdf.jpg

Yeah, no kidding. Looks gorgeous!

Is the sound of pressing the button at all disruptive, YB? I watched a YT video of someone playing on his cabinet and the clacking was pretty noticeable.

Can't say I was bothered by it at all when I played on his cab. The cab can also be turned up pretty loud if you want it to be.

DizzyCrow

I can't believe they (kinda)released that shitty Brain Age game on VC instead of this game, the sales from the 3DS installment should have been enough to show that there is no more interest in these kind of games.

llehuty

I can't believe they (kinda)released that shitty Brain Age game on VC instead of this game, the sales from the 3DS installment should have been enough to show that there is no more interest in these kind of games.

Not sure we should bring number of sales to justify the presence Rythm Heaven/Paradise in the VC.

Karate_Man_loop_by_pikmin789.gif

daydream

Banned
I forgot how gorgeous Remix 7 is. Visual bliss.

So, I think I might have played this during a bad period or something because my opinion of the game has only gotten more positive as I've been re-experiencing it. However, I do think some of the minigames are dubious at best. The three worst ones for me:

Figure Fighter - The fact that you have to wait for commands really messes with the flow of the game, the song, and, by extension, the player. Playing it feels more like a chore than anything else.

Launch Party - Boring to look at and listen to. As far as I can tell, it's the only game that spells out the timing with numbers which.. just doesn't work, at all.

Shrimp Shuffle - A weird one that fails interestingly, at least. The rhythm is rather quaint and they evidently had problems injecting some variation into it (both of the musical and visual variety).

Obviously, this wouldn't be a big problem (the other games had some forgettable ones) but Figure Fighter especially just comes up way too often, and Launch Party is not the rare sight it should be, either.

mutsu

So the pattern so far as been GBA -> DS -> Wii. I am betting on a 3DS one next, but part of me wish that they would make a Wii U one first since the Wii one has really grown on me recently as I am (still) trying to perfect all the songs.

Tap Troupe is the worst for me in Fever, by far. I think I've already mentioned it, but the fact that the last tap in tap-tap-TAP has different timings that can only be learned through memorization is a cardinal rhythm game sin. Would be okay if not for that.

Catch of the Day doesn't really do a whole lot for me. Like, it's not necessarily bad, I just don't consider it very fun at all.

It and Exhibition Match have similar problems for me: I'd rather be pressing buttons to rhythm than counting it off in my head. Games involving counting beats certainly have their place in the series (hell, it's one of the first things you do in both GBA and Wii), it just doesn't feel like the player is actively doing enough for it to be engaging imo. Those sort of games always rank pretty low for me.

daydream

Banned
Tap Troupe is the worst for me in Fever, by far. I think I've already mentioned it, but the fact that the last tap in tap-tap-TAP has different timings that can only be learned through memorization is a cardinal rhythm game sin. Would be okay if not for that.

Catch of the Day doesn't really do a whole lot for me. Like, it's not necessarily bad, I just don't consider it very fun at all.

It and Exhibition Match have similar problems for me: I'd rather be pressing buttons to rhythm than counting it off in my head. Games involving counting beats certainly have their place in the series (hell, it's one of the first things you do in both GBA and Wii), it just doesn't feel like the player is actively doing enough for it to be engaging imo. Those sort of games always rank pretty low for me.

Yeah, Tap Troupe has a little bit of memorisation involved, though not too much. There's one tap that will probably throw you off if you don't see it coming but overall, I don't think it's too bad. I really think the liaison of premise and gameplay (you're doing something inherently rhythmic) is particularly noteworthy about this one, as is the audiovisual presentation.

Yeah, Catch of the Day is probably next in line of the ones I've named, although like you, I find it more bland than anything else.

I don't know if I have one specific preference when it comes to the type of rhythmic challenge I'm faced with but I definitely don't see an inherent problem with counting beats. In my opinion, that is a part of basic musicianship, so to speak, the point (or hope) being that at some point you're not actively assigning a number to each beat but let your intuition count tacitly. There definitely lies a certain satisfaction in nailing a particular interval just instinctively, with all the conviction of someone who displays knowledge of some greater truth because (ostensibly) he/she has no intention of verifying it as it happens.

Not to say that I don't have to count (it varies depending on my level of energy and alertness) but even if I do, I don't find it particularly taxing.

daydream

Banned
Yeah, the new look for the old games is great. Not sure about the artstyle of those two new ones but the dancing minigame could be really cool, love me some tango.

FUCK ME SIDEWAYS.

Just watched the European Nintendo Direct, and they didn't announce this.

SO HYPED.

Believe in Shibata!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The GBA minigames are updated with modern aesthetics it seems.

Well they did the same for the Wii version bonus games.

Though the Onion game seems to have a completely different look rather than just redrawn graphics which is a bit odd looking.

WAIT I COMPLETELY MISSED THIS WHAT HAPPENED THERE'S A NEW GAME WHAT OMG WHAT WHAT WAT

OMG CAN'T WAIT TO PLAY IT ON MY Japanese N3DS WITH A RHYTHM HEAVEN FACEPLATE AND THEME. The fact that this is a reality that can (and will!) likely happen is amazing. Yay. Today is a good day.

daydream

Banned
WAIT I COMPLETELY MISSED THIS WHAT HAPPENED THERE'S A NEW GAME WHAT OMG WHAT WHAT WAT

OMG CAN'T WAIT TO PLAY IT ON MY Japanese N3DS WITH A RHYTHM HEAVEN FACEPLATE AND THEME. The fact that this is a reality that can (and will!) likely happen is amazing. Yay. Today is a good day.

image.php

I'm an XL guy myself but.. any pics of that Rhythm Tengoku faceplate? Or is that wishful thinking? :p

I think an RT theme would be the only thing that could overthrow Hanafuda for me. Well, aside from the Sega Classics theme out in JP.

Timeless

Who started a Rhythm Heaven thread without me? :)
(edit: I was wrong)
Why start it in community and not gaming ? All gaming official threads are eventually moved to gaming after a month IIRC.

The GAF mods have recommended against me starting a thread for the translation, for reasons of spam / self-promotion, I suppose. Otherwise I would have made a thread for it. (edit: it = the translation, not the series in general, I'm not a moron
debatable
)

Any reason why the title "Rhythm Tengoku" was chosen for the OP? Tengoku = heaven or paradise. You shouldn't leave it in Japanese.

I did a good portion of the work on Rhythm Heaven Silver (fan translation). Although most people are supportive, some of the comments I read are discouraging. They basically say "the game is perfectly playable in Japanese; there is no point to the translation". I'm pretty sure most of the people say that without playing it in English. edit: So here's my case for why the translation is good.

I can understand the sentiment if you haven't played Rhythm Heaven on DS or Wii. But since the Wii version was my first Rhythm Heaven game, I knew that the Rhythm Heaven humor and personality is an integral part of the experience.

If you don't understand Japanese, this:

Hello!
Thanks for purchasing “Rhythm Heaven Silver.” Huh? You borrowed it from a friend? Or bought it u-used?

is much more readable than this:

ごあいさつ
このたびは、「リズム天国」をお買い上げいただきまことにありがとうございます。あ、おともだちに借りているのかな?そ、それとも、ちゅ、中古ですか!?

That's one of the first bits of text in the game. (The email section is available at the same time the rhythm games are, right after the player does the rhythm test.) Already one can see the latent humor of the original Japanese text. The implication is that the devs don't get any extra money when you borrow it from a friend or buy it used, so they're bummed out when they find out that you did.

There are 18 emails, none of which are readable if you don't know Japanese. The menus are much easier to navigate, and the sound test / studio option is more navigable with English song titles. The drum lessons are still basically impossible, but at least you can read what you're being taught.

I've been improving my sense of rhythm... and suddenly I'm the life of the party!? Before finding Rhythm Heaven Silver, I had absolutely no luck with women. Now, I've got a date every Friday. ... My whole outlook on life has changed. Thanks, Rhythm Heaven Silver!

Mr. T, accountant, age 38

Even the "clear data" menu has personality!

データのクリア
いままでの記録を全部けして、はじめから
//やりなおします。よく考えてネ!

pyHDftb.png

---

Rhythm Heaven Silver, like all Rhythm Heaven games, is hilarious. Don't miss the English version if you can help it. (I did somewhere around half, perhaps a little less, of the text localization for the game. Literal translations were already provided. I don't actually know Japanese. Not ideal, no, but the translation was stalled before I came along and needed more Rhythm Heaven in my life.)

Top Bottom