• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rhythm Tengoku Community Thread - Hey Baby, How's It Going?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Favorite music in each game go!

Tengoku - Stealthy Mouse
Heaven - Blue Birds
Fever - Ringside

D-Man

Oh man, I'm so happy that there's finally a community thread for this series! Rhythm Heaven is one of my favorite Nintendo franchises of all time and I really wish it got more recognition. I love both the DS and Wii games to death and even perfected all the mini-games on both of them!
Except for Remix 10 in Fever. I can't do it.

I haven't got the chance to ever get my hands on the GBA game but I'm planning on getting it someday. What are the chances of that ever hitting the Virtual Console?

Oh yeah, how would you guys bring over Manzai Birds?

I'd probably just cheap out on the puns and go with rhyming words instead. Much more flexible to make it fit more naturally into the song.

The first response is easy enough to translate, just something like "Right, right". For the second response, I'd probably focus less on the exact meaning, and more carrying over the feel of the dialect. Maybe something Stooges-inspired, as that's the closest Western parallel I can think of to that sort of physical comedy-centric relationship.

I think it could work.

I think my favorite music in each game would be:

GBA: Bon Odori
DS: Fan Club: "Thrilling! Is This Love?" [JP] (Japanese version is waaay better than American one.)
Wii: Remix 3: "Tonight" [US] / "I Feel Fine!" [JP] (I like them both about equally.)

Overall, I'd say the Wii game has the best music, though, followed by the GBA game.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You know, I actually really like the American versions of all the WarioWare and Rhythm Tengoku songs, EXCEPT for the Idol one. I don't know what they were thinking with that. The singer sounds tired and half-hearted the entire song.
Yeah, those songs really bring the whole thing down. On the other hand I find Frog Hop superior in English.

For the Wii version I did play in Japanese though.

Yes Boss!

Still think the best is the the original GBA game then followed by the Wii. DS is kind a spin-off for me, really good but certainly the least best.

The original I'm hoping gets releases on the J-Wii U Virtual Console. Even better would be for Treehouse to localize the GBA for rest-of-world Wii U release.

I can post some pics if my arcade machine when I get back home. It is the GBA game but with a timed play for 100 yen but you can extend that time quite a bit by picking up hearts and perfects...and lots of very cool new two player games and versions of games.

(One fun thing to do is to play Fever on the Wii U gamepad as a mini TV and wiimote)

daydream

Banned
I'm gonna post a Jukebox update sometime next week. The theme will be 'Remixes'.

What are your favourite remixes? How do you feel about the way the first game handled them?

drgambit

Banned
What are your favourite remixes? How do you feel about the way the first game handled them?

Here are my two:

Remix 9-Minna no Rhythm Tengoku-"Canary Club - Beautiful One Day":

Youtube

I tend to enjoy the vocals that accompany the music, making it more of a music video than a jumble of what you learned. I also like how the female characters take over on this one.

Remix 5-Rhythm Tengoku-"WISH - Kimi o Matenakute":

Youtube

Again, another 'music video' theme. This time, the theme is a bosozoku/west side story/biker gang romance. The remix plays like a short movie with a happy ending.

Relistening to the DS soundtrack, I think one of its biggest weaknesses are its remixes, part of which can be attributed to the lack of any vocal remixes at all. Though aside from that, a lot of them are still rather unmemorable. I had even totally forgotten that one of them was an extended version of one of the Big Rock Finish sections. I like 2, 4 and 8 though.

There are some things I dig about how GBA did remixes, and some things I don't. First of all, both the vocal remixes totally knock it out of the park, they're great. Having a remix of the remixes is also neat, and it would've been fun to see future games continue that. That being said, I don't love remixes 1, 3 and 8. The repetition makes them feel like they drag, 1 in particular. 3 is better due to the speed-up, but it's still not terribly interesting. 8 is a pretty anticlimactic way to end the game imo, I'm glad they moved the all-game remixes to the end.

I'd probably say Wii has the most solid lineup of remixes by a good margin. A copious amount of vocal remixes (with MUCH better localization than the DS games), catchy and memorable nonvocal tunes, and more unified and interesting visual touches to the games (Remix 8 in particular is really cool). They're pretty much all winners imo, though 5 and 7 don't rank quite as high for me.

Piano

Banned
Rhythm Heaven Fever is the only entry I've played and it's amongst the most fun I've ever had. Man, I'd throw down full price tomorrow for a sequel on Wii U.

daydream

Banned
My post will definitely reflect that I like Gold's remixes the most (some of them aren't that remarkable but the good ones I love a lot) while a lot of the Wii remixes never really did it for me. I should probably refresh my memory, though, before posting my favourites. I'll probably do a split list, anyway.

As far as the first one is concerned, I agree with what you guys said about the vocal remixes and, well, 8 is really a letdown.

(Also, I have Remix 10 from Gold completely memorised, haha. I hum it a lot in my head.)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I think I'd have to play through them all again to answer which one is my favourite. I could listen to them, but I feel the remixes should also be judged on the whole package so I want to include the graphical remixing as well.

The Boat

I adore Rhythm Tengoku, actually played a bit of the Wii one the other day, so much fun! Love all the art and gifs, good job daydreaming!

daydream

Banned
I adore Rhythm Tengoku, actually played a bit of the Wii one the other day, so much fun! Love all the art and gifs, good job daydreaming!

Thanks! I really do think Ko Takeuchi is a genius so I had to show off as much art as possible.

I wish there was a complete sprite/gif database online (at least for the GBA one).

Ledbetter

Whenever I'm bored, this is the game I have on my DS.
My favorite tracks are 'Love Lab' and 'Thrilling! Is this Love?', which I didn't realize it had been translated to Spanish until my cousin got Rhythm Paradise.
Great game overall, if one day I get a Wii U, I'll grab the Wii version to play it. Is it better than the DS one?

0otsr1l.jpg

So hey, that's my second Perfect run of Rhythm Tengoku down. Got everything on its first perfect opportunity, though not on my first try. There were some I remember having trouble with my first time going for all perfect, like Rhythm Pluck 2 and Toss Boys, that I got on my first try without any issues, which was pretty surprising for me, lol. But, uh... all in all I still think the game is really easy. There wasn't really anything that gave me trouble at all, though that can probably be attributed to how familiar I am with the game at this point. Maybe next time I'll try going for all perfect on my first try, but that sounds really time consuming depending on how often I have to restart, lol.

On the topic of perfects, they're kinda what really got me into the series in the first place, and one of the things I like best about it. I was aware of Rhythm Tengoku around when it released in Japan, in particular I remember reading about it in Nintendo Power and online, but I never picked it up. I was totally into WarioWare and just realizing how much I liked rhythm games thanks to Elite Beat Agents, but I didn't import games at the time.

Strangely enough, though, I didn't pick up Rhythm Heaven right at launch either. Honestly, I couldn't even tell you why, lol. I was aware it was coming out, and I heard all the praise it was getting, but I just hadn't really decided I wanted it for some reason. About a week after the game released, I was hanging out with a friend, when... I don't know what it was that compelled us to do this, but we were using the Nintendo Channel on the Wii for who-knows-what-reason, and we noticed that there was a demo for Rhythm Heaven on it. So, we both decided to download it, and we got super into it. In particular, I recall competing to see who could complete the demo first. So after getting totally hooked on the demo, we both went out and got the game ASAP.

After playing a bit and discussing our progress, we set up a competition of sorts to see who could get a perfect on every game first. I'm not usually very competitive when it comes to games, so this was something kinda out of the ordinary for me. There are lots of games in which you can strive for perfection, but the way Rhythm Heaven actively challenges you to do so and rewards you for it makes it really unique and entertaining. There are lots of rhythm games I play to get perfects in, but none are nearly as satisfying as Rhythm Heaven for me. That, combined with the real world competition I had going, made for a really memorable experience. Since then, I've also done a similar race with the same friend in Fever.

so, uh, that's why nintendo channel wasn't shit i guess

daydream

Banned
Good stuff, Yes Boss! Mad jelly over here! :D

What does the exclusive content consist of? I know there's some bonus remixes for a couple of minigames.

Yes Boss!

Good stuff, Yes Boss! Mad jelly over here! :D

What does the exclusive content consist of? I know there's some bonus remixes for a couple of minigames.

I'd say the big exclusive content is the new two-player mini-games. Like the Love Tester Compatibility test. Then, of course, all the traditional mini-games that have split-screen two player modes. There is also a dip-switch setting to unlock all the Remix modes. Other than that, the pacing is quite different since it is designed around five minutes of play for 100 yen. Perfects have a different relationship. Then, of course, there are all the new attract screens and crazy cool menus. This game has insane art so more of that is always better. Like this screen, for example:

FD180670-0EC1-44F7-90B8-A8C40E4A2448_zpsmpf1ouhl.jpg

Lockstep is the mini game that drove me to put the game down for a while. A while ended up being something like a year.

Just give me a button for that one mini game, please.

daydream

Banned
I'd say the big exclusive content is the new two-player mini-games. Like the Love Tester Compatibility test. Then, of course, all the traditional mini-games that have split-screen two player modes. There is also a dip-switch setting to unlock all the Remix modes. Other than that, the pacing is quite different since it is designed around five minutes of play for 100 yen. Perfects have a different relationship. Then, of course, there are all the new attract screens and crazy cool menus. This game has insane art so more of that is always better. Like this screen, for example:

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv358/gbuczek/FD180670-0EC1-44F7-90B8-A8C40E4A2448_zpsmpf1ouhl.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Ah yes, I knew about the two-player mode which seems like a great addition. Thanks for the (gorgeous) screenshot, more Rhythm Tengoku art in and of itself is a strong argument for something. :D

Lockstep is the mini game that drove me to put the game down for a while. A while ended up being something like a year.

Just give me a button for that one mini game, please.
Oh, as I said, please try again. Once it clicks, you will love it. Maybe. The video might help.

Oh, as I said, please try again. Once it clicks, you will love it. Maybe. The video might help.

I got past it, but I was just frustrated with it. I perfected every game in Rhythm Heaven GBA, and I was used to the precision in that game. I didn't like how precise Lockstep was when I had to use the stylus.

I don't recall being able to skip mini games, but that's great. Maybe I'll go back and finally finish the last two remixes.

Yeah, those songs really bring the whole thing down. On the other hand I find Frog Hop superior in English.

For the Wii version I did play in Japanese though.

I actually played all the games in Japanese first. I'll be really sad when I can't play the 3DS and Wii U ones because of region lock. I'll miss trying to figure out how to play the game without being able to read any of the text.

I can also agree that Frog Hop is the clearest instance of the English version being better than the Japanese version, though.

Speaking of the dubs, something I like about the Wii localization is that the English versions of Lonely Storm 1 and 2 (the Karate Joe stage musics) are more than just dubs / language changes. It actually changes the music a bit too, making it deeper and with more bass.

Lonely Storm 1
Japanese version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOVNM9t8n28
English version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41ePKz5G2dI

Lonely Storm 2
Japanese
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4i6g-vfq50
English
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N26X8xav5rc

IMO, the change in music makes it worth listening to both the Japanese and English versions, even though the change is small.

daydream

Banned
mqDQNng.gif

Press A to remix!

Rhythm Tengoku - Remix 3 (Honey Sweet Angel of Love) - You'd expect more cheerleaders in boxes with this cheery pop song. (SFX)

Rhythm Tengoku Gold - Remix 8 - This brooding tune is crazy awesome. I will challenge you to a drum duel if you disagree! (SFX)

Rhythm Heaven Fever - Remix 5 - A Latin beat with a prehistoric visual flourish! Cave men are pretty good at fishing and.. baseball? (SFX)

Rhythm Tengoku - Remix 5 (WISH - Can't wait for you) - What a downer song for a wedding celebration.. (SFX)

Rhythm Tengoku Gold - Remix 1 - A remix in the literal sense, evolving Built To Scale and adding a nostalgic touch. (SFX)

Rhythm Heaven Fever - Remix 4 - Let me change into my ninja suit for this one~ (SFX)

tumblr_n4t49j5EwB1qh8rq6o1_500.gif

daydream

Banned
Nice update

Replayed this one so much after clearing it. So good.

I was thinking the other day that that GBA and NDS games need to hit Wii U's virtual console. Especially the NDS one would work well in the WII U, since you could play it without looking at the gamepad if you want.

I agree wholeheartedly! The GBA one will never make it onto VC, though, since they won't be willing to translate it. Real shame since a translation really wouldn't be necessary to enjoy it (and they'd never use the fan translation). If only they brought back Hanabi Festivals for the eShop..

I could see the DS one making it on there once the DS VC really gets going. Actually, make that an 'if'.

daydream

Banned
Here's a quick exchange I had with Spinosaurus in his excellent thread on Credits themes (some really great choices in there):

Your avatar just reminded me...

I'd actually put both credits music of Rhythm Heaven DS and Fever up there. Completely forgot about them when I made this thread, though. :(

No objection from me! :D

Although the credits music on GBA is also great.

If you haven't played the first one but still recognise the tune, they actually rearranged it for the DS one as alternate Game Select music.

I actually did play Tengoku, but I had to try a little hard to remember the credits theme :lol.

While we're on the subject DS is a bit strange in that it has two ending themes, the actual staff roll (That's Paradise) and the character roll (Menu 1 remix). I can't pick between the two. Fever does have two, as well, but the character roll is really weak compared to Dreams of Our Generations.

I thought this would be a cool topic to bring up, credits music, that is, and the alternative menu songs. Any thoughts? What are your favourites?

Glad I was reminded of this thread.

I'd say after thinking about, I'd settle with the full version of That's Paradise. The DS game was my first game, so it has more sentimental value for me, so the song resonates with me more than Dreams of Our Generation.

On that note, DS's Menu 1 is also still my favourite of the menu songs. :p

Dr. Buni

Didn't know about this thread... Seems like it was created when I was banned :x Only saw it because I was searching for Bust a Groove-related threads.

Anyways, I have only played the GBA game so far. It is fun.. and a bit hard, compared to other rhythm games I have played before. I need to see if I can find copies of the DS and Wii titles.

Any chances of the Wii U getting a Rhythm Heaven title?

daydream

Banned
Didn't know about this thread... Seems like it was created when I was banned :x Only saw it because I was searching for Bust a Groove-related threads.

Anyways, I have only played the GBA game so far. It is fun.. and a bit hard, compared to other rhythm games I have played before. I need to see if I can find copies of the DS and Wii titles.

Any chances of the Wii U getting a Rhythm Heaven title?

Welcome back! I think there are chances, definitely. Not to suggest that we're anywhere close to the end of WiiU's lifespan but RT games have always come out late in the generation. Although I could also see them going back to portables.

That said, I would prefer WiiU - they could have button AND touch controls for different games, two player mode with one person holding a Wiimote and looking at the TV, the other person looking at something different on the Gamepad but both would see the results of the other player's actions represented on their screen, etc. I don't think 3D would do much for the game. I definitely can't hold the DS still when things get intense in Gold.

Top Bottom