• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rhythm Tengoku Community Thread - Hey Baby, How's It Going?

Crayolan

I played through the entirety of Fever at a friend's house. It was pretty good. I'll probably buy whatever they release next.

Miker

I have a lot of love for this game despite only having played the DS and Wii versions a little bit. Rhythm Heaven DS was $10 on Black Friday when I was waiting w/ my girlfriend to buy her a DS, and we picked it up because it looked fun and quirky, and she enjoys rhythm games. She ended up 100%ing the game and it made me a huge fan of the series.

I still need to hunt down the GBA game one of these days.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
The GBA game is still the best in the series in my opinion. Such an amazing game to play through - nothing but joy.

daydream

Banned
GBA is the best one. Bought it from Lik-Sang years ago after seeing it featured on the 1up show and never regretted it. So good. Nearly every single game and song on that one is pure love and refined goodness.

If you've got a GBA version, don't forget to check out the english rom hack translation Rhythm Heaven Silver as well.

Thanks, I wanted to include this but forgot. Haven't had the chance to properly check it out, yet, but it's obvious that a lot of polish and effort went into that noble project.

terrisus

image.php

I had a friend who was really into the DS version...
It brings back memories =(

Anyway, I have no rhythm whatsoever, so I'm terrible at these games >.>

HardRojo

Amazing series, I love minigame compilations like this one.
Why isn't the thread called Rhythm Tengoku/Rhythm Heaven Community btw?

llehuty

A special mention goes to the games soundtracks for this game thay are godly, i love listening to them even when im not playing. Funnily enough you can tap along to the songs and play the game in your head. Once you have learned the game they stay with you forever.

The thing with these soundtracks is that they are only the background music of the minigames and most of the time don't include the sounds generated by the player. It feels weird listening to them.

The thing with these soundtracks is that they are only the background music of the minigames and most of the time don't include the sounds generated by the player. It feels weird listening to them.

The Wii game's OST actually includes "Perfect" mixes of all the songs in the game, with the player sounds included. I don't believe the GBA or DS ones have anything of the sort, though.

Impotaku

My brain fills those sounds in lol

daydream

Banned
Amazing series, I love minigame compilations like this one.
Why isn't the thread called Rhythm Tengoku/Rhythm Heaven Community btw?

Well, several reasons but it basically came down to me preferring a clean thread title. At that point, I'd have had to include 'Paradise', as well. Also, I figured the fans that would be interested in participating in a Community thread would recognise it with just the original title.

I listen to them all the time, haha. :p But yeah, the Wii one has 'Perfect' versions (and the first CD has a small selection of DS ones that have SFX versions, like Frog Hop).

Impotaku

The Wii game's OST actually includes "Perfect" mixes of all the songs in the game, with the player sounds included. I don't believe the GBA or DS ones have anything of the sort, though.

They do have perfect mixes for some of the songs but only the ones from the DS game

Disk 3
29. リズム天国全曲集::ラップメン Perfect Version(リズム天国)[BONUS TRACK]
30. リズム天国全曲集::ラップウィメン Perfect Version(リズム天国)[BONUS TRACK]
31. リズム天国全曲集::ケロケロダンス Perfect Version(リズム天国ゴールド)[BONUS TRACK]
32. リズム天国全曲集::しゅぎょうのテーマ Perfect Version(リズム天国ゴールド)[BONUS TRACK]

Is there any Rhythm Tengoku like game? The only thing I can find is this: http://fizzd.itch.io/rhythm-doctor

In respect to the nature of Rhythm Heaven as a collection of various rhythm minigames, the first thing that comes to mind is Rhythm Thief, which has nice music and aesthetics, but also has the worst parts of the Professor Layton games and imo pretty mediocre rhythm gameplay. I dunno if I'd really recommend it.

If you mean in respect to the simple gameplay, like Rhythm Doctor, uh... there's probably more of those, but I can't say I've played a ton.

I might just be blanking right now, but not a whole lot comes to mind.

Also is there any particular reason why the original GBA game didn't get an English release? Coming from the Wario Ware team I would've thought Nintendo would have more faith in it doing well overseas.

Basically, because it was a 2006 GBA game. Western branches of Nintendo had already shoved the GBA out the door.

Just in time for the Chorus Kids/Men/Guys/People/Whoever to be DLC in Smash 4.

Also is there any particular reason why the original GBA game didn't get an English release? Coming from the Wario Ware team I would've thought Nintendo would have more faith in it doing well overseas.

I never finished the Wii game but I know I got 100% on the GBA and DS games (I think at least, the drum stuff in GBA doesn't have anything tied to it right?)

Finishing up the last few challenges in the DS game was tough.

Basically, because it was a 2006 GBA game. Western branches of Nintendo had already shoved the GBA out the door.

Yup, Rhythm Tengoku came out in Japan in August 2006. The original DS had already been out in America for nearly two years by that time.

Glowsquid

Got Fever earlier this year and loved it. Nintendo SPD 1 forever~ .

I'm rather ashamed to say it's the only game I've played where I felt the need to use a "skip/make easier a stage" mechanic, though. Fucking monkeys...

maxcriden

Amazing OP, superb work! As you know I'm terrible at these games but I'm slowly trying to improve my Rhythm. I've only played the DS version; is the GBA iteration considered a bit easier?

terrisus

Yup, Rhythm Tengoku came out in Japan in August 2006. The original DS had already been out in America for nearly two years by that time.

You know what else was a 2006 GBA game that didn't come out in the US?

BtvhmfV.jpg

I imported it the day that it came out in Japan >.>

Amazing OP, superb work! As you know I'm terrible at these games but I'm slowly trying to improve my Rhythm. I've only played the DS version; is the GBA iteration considered a bit easier?
The DS game is probably the hardest (or the hardest to get into at least) because of the touch screen controls. I found the GBA game to be the easiest, but the most varied of the three.

Wii is the best one imo though.

Diortem7

I love this series. Rhythm Tengoku was the first game that I ever imported. I also imported the DS one. I hope future installments are localized.

maxcriden

The DS game is probably the hardest (or the hardest to get into at least) because of the touch screen controls. I found the GBA game to be the easiest, but the most varied of the three.

Wii is the best one imo though.

Glad to hear it, thanks for the info! Come to think of it, daydreaming recommended the Wii game to me; I had thought it had motion controls and was very relieved to find out it does not!

Great Series!!!

My friends got in love with this game even though they don`t know the name of it. they always asked for it saying : "pika pika pika desu ka"

Got the 3 and I loved all <3

drgambit

Banned
The Tengoku series is my most favorite, if you have the opportunity to play the games in the original Japanese form, by all means do that.

The rehashes that were released to the US were terrible and should not be played, ever.

Mista Koo

This is the perfect place for me to post this live performance of my favorite (vocal) song from the series <3
I loved the DS one. I need to play the GBA and Wii ones.

(Btw Crop Stomp link is incorrect.)

This is the thing. I love DJMax Technika Tune, Theatrhythm, Bust a Groove, etc. But I never understood the premise of RH. To me it looks like a "Simon Says" kind of game. Like the gameplay and songs are very simplistic, nicely presented, but it doesn't seem too hard. Am I missing something here?
I'm a fan of a lot of Rhythm games, but I would say that Rhythm Tengoku is the purest. It's the only game where playing with my eyes closed actually improves my performance since I can focus entirely on keeping the rhythm. I think a blind person could play it and do well in it.
As for the Simon Says part, isn't that what all rhythm games are? It's just that this one has two(?) inputs instead of the usual 4-6, the difficulty is with the timing since the cues are more subtle.

The arcade machine deserves a mention as well, sure it used the levels of the GBA game but it added some extras in there too. Just look at the thing, i don't know how anyone would be able to pass that by & not want to play hehe.
This happened to me when I was in Japan. I noticed the machine just as we were leaving the arcade and I thought I'll be back tomorrow.. I never returned :(

Astarte

The Rhythm Heaven games are so amazingly fun. Its co op is one of the few times that didn't involve a group suplex

One of my favourite game series. I put a lot of hours on the DS and GBA game. I tried to enjoy the Wii version but for some my wiimote wasn't very accurate.

My biggest gripe with the series is how it became less gamey with each sequel. the GBA game had minigames like that baseball one or the ninja one that you wouldn't see in the DS and Wii games. Seems like the series drifted more into challenging players in listening to vocal cues than testing their ability to tap to a rhythm.

My biggest gripe with the series is how it became less gamey with each sequel. the GBA game had minigames like that baseball one or the ninja one that you wouldn't see in the DS and Wii games. Seems like the series drifted more into challenging players in listening to vocal cues than testing their ability to tap to a rhythm.

I'm not really sure if I follow. Rhythm Rally in DS and Air Rally in Wii are near identical to Air Batter structurally (albeit much harder in the case of Rhythm Rally 2). GBA had more or less 4 games involving continuously keeping rhythm (Air Batter, Rabbit Jump, Night Walk, Marcher, not counting second versions), and I'd say that number has remained about the same, if not increased, in future games.

Kouriozan

Played and completed every games, in Japanese and localized, I think GBA is still my favorite.
The last one apparently bombed hard in Europe (released after several months of delay too) so I hope by the time a new one will be release, the consoles will be region free.

Piccoro

I've bought the Euro Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise a few months ago.
I loved it. But I haven't finished yet. The later stages are too hard for me...

Wii = GBA >>> DS.

DS one is still pretty great, but it's nowhere near the greatness that are the Wii and DS games.

The Tengoku series is my most favorite, if you have the opportunity to play the games in the original Japanese form, by all means do that.

The rehashes that were released to the US were terrible and should not be played, ever.

You know, I actually really like the American versions of all the WarioWare and Rhythm Tengoku songs, EXCEPT for the Fan Club one, "Thrilling! Is This Love?". I don't know what they were thinking with that. The singer sounds tired and half-hearted the entire song.

Still, I think Nintendo does a great job with that. In several cases, I like the English versions quite a bit more than the originals (though that's mostly true with WarioWare songs).

daydream

Banned
To all the people saying they want a 3DS or WiiU version - a 1000x yes! I haven't given up hope on a 3DS version, yet, given the series past release history.

Great OP! The first is still the best, the only one I 100‰ed. Even dusted off the original GBA for the drum lessons, the controls were much better than in the SP or Micro for them. And it came with stickers!

RhythmTengoku_Nintendo_GameBoyAdvance_stickers.jpg

Loved the second one, but as the songs got longer perfecting them became tedious and didn't bother. The Wii version is enjoyable, but its quirkiness whore out fast, so I didn't try to even unlock all the extras.

A gaffer in the shmup thread has an arcade machine, maybe he'll show around.

Thanks! I only imported a cartridge for the GBA one. Wish I had those stickers. ;-;

oh right, lists are always where to start

DS>Wii>GBA is my personal list.

To start, I'm not really huge on Tengoku's look going back on it. There's an argument that can be made for the eclectic styles that the game has, very much taking root in the WarioWare series, but I'm honestly a bigger fan of the more unified, smoother look of the later games. I don't really miss stuff that looks like Air Batter or Hopping Road. Ko Takeuchi's art really shines in the less abstract, imo. It's what I loved about WarioWare character art, but cranked up.

I'm also glad the games have gotten more difficult. I might not be the best judge of this, as the order i played the series in was DS->Wii->GBA, but I find the GBA game exceptionally easy. Like, I think I perfected everything on either the first or second try, and on my second runthrough of the game, everything on the first try thus far. That's not to say difficulty is a judge of quality of these games. I've just come to really appreciate the the tension and dread that comes from attempting perfects on difficult stages, anticipating the heart-shattering sound (literally, thanks to very appropriate iconography) indicating you fucked up. That sort of thrill is one of my favorite parts of the games, and I always really looking forward to going for all-perfect whenever I play a new one.

I may go more into how I feel the series has improved since, specifically when it comes to variety of game types, but I don't want to sound too negative. I really do love the GBA game a lot. Hell, I'm replaying it right now, despite all the newer games I should be playing.

Wii and DS feel pretty similar, so it's hard to pinpoint why I prefer DS. It could be argued that it's bias due to it having been my first, but I'd like to think I prefer it from a more objective standpoint too. One thing that shifts things in DS's favor, imo, is touch controls, which I'm well aware is considered a negative for a lot of people, lol. I've gone into this in the past, but I just much prefer the tactile feedback received from a touch screen than that of a button, but...

A button has several points where it "clicks", first when you actually touch the button if you finger was off it before, then the point where the switch is triggered and the input is read, then the point where it's fully suppressed, and then that in reverse as it's unsuppressed. Obviously I'm over-complicating things in my description, but when I play rhythm games with buttons, I know that I feel more than one point of feedback. With a touch screen, the only thing you feel is the exact point when you hit the screen, and I like that. The tactile feedback from that is a very unconvoluted measure of exactly when the input was triggered and read, and just makes for a much more "clean" experience, imo. So that's my spiel about something nobody cares about, lol.

I'll probably go into this more later but oh shit rad daydreaming also likes DS best, cool. I feel like a lot of people say it's their least favorite and that bums me out, lol. I've talked a lot about silly minor things and haven't really touched on the rhythm games themselves, so I'll probably go into that more at a later time and try to analyze why I like DS over Wii. So, awesome thread, thanks for posting it! I plan to post a lot, lol.

Just wanted to say, fantastic post! So happy to have you on board! I hadn't thought about the difficulty in these games before but you raise a very good point, I think. I'll have to re-examine the games with that aspect in mind.

Awesome thread, I was just talking extensively about this series with a colleague! Surely a new version is coming, right? Considering how well the Wii one sold in Japan? I'd love to see it, or even better... a mash-up with Ouendan!

Thanks! I love your idea.. a lot.

The arcade machine deserves a mention as well, sure it used the levels of the GBA game but it added some extras in there too. Just look at the thing, i don't know how anyone would be able to pass that by & not want to play hehe.
http://www.fijosh.net/zen/photos/loop_photo021.jpg[img]

Love this series the one on GBA enchanted me, weird and addicive all at the same time i also love how rhythm based they are you really need to get into the songs to play it well but when you are in sync with them it's immensly satisfying, the series has improved with each game. Would really love more of them but at the same time because they release them so infrequently the do feel special when another comes out.

Even now after all this time the wordplay joke made in jaPAN on the bon odori song makes me giggle.[/QUOTE]

The arcade machine looks awesome, and yes, I'm a big fan of the wordplay myself. :D

[quote="jbueno, post: 137682295"]Paging Yes Boss!, the biggest fan of the game I know. Hell, the man owns the arcade machine.[/QUOTE]

Oh man, he should stop by (and post some pics)!

[quote="StarCreator, post: 137688787"]And I immediately have the Bon Odori stuck in my head. Again.[/QUOTE]

Welcome to my life.

[quote="doraemoe, post: 137689876"]Is there any Rhythm Tengoku like game? The only thing I can find is this: [url]http://fizzd.itch.io/rhythm-doctor[/url][/QUOTE]

I can't think of anything that combines the structure of RT with its gameplay in the same way. Aside from Bankslammer's recommendations, I would also like to mention Beat Sneak Bandit (on iOS) and Crypt of the Necrodancer as (partial) rhythm games with a lot of character and style.

[quote="maxcriden, post: 137699203"]Amazing OP, superb work! As you know I'm terrible at these games but I'm slowly trying to improve my Rhythm. I've only played the DS version; is the GBA iteration considered a bit easier?[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Max! :) Like you mentioned, I do think the Wii version might be a better introduction to the series for you. If you check the post by Bankslammer I quoted, he makes a case for the GBA one being the easiest. I'm not sure if I agree, yet, but I think he's on to something. (It's gonna be a tad more costly than the Wii version, however. Not by much, though!)

[quote="Hedgey, post: 137701372"]The arcade version is a lot of fun with a friend =D[/QUOTE]

I hope I get the chance to check it out one day!

[quote="drgambit, post: 137706724"]The Tengoku series is my most favorite, if you have the opportunity to play the games in the original Japanese form, by all means do that.

The rehashes that were released to the US were terrible and should not be played, ever.[/QUOTE]

I absolutely agree. It was great that the Wii version featured Japanese since importing would have been tricky. Just between us, I don't own the EU version of the DS game. I vastly prefer the Japanese songs and sound cues. I should probably pick up a PAL copy to complete the collection, haha.

[quote="Mista Koo, post: 137716141"][URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhLTdYy4OYs"]This is the perfect place for me to post this live performance of my favorite (vocal) song from the series <3[/URL][/QUOTE]

A legendary performance, for sure!

[quote="Hours Left, post: 137722627"]Great OT daydreaming!

I love this series so much. A truly amazing and woefully underrated Nintendo IP.[/QUOTE]

Thanks HL! :D What's your favourite entry?

The festival dance, Bon Odori, might be my favorite minigame in the whole series. It's not the most challenging, but it's so catchy! And oh Love Lab in RHGold, too!

Top Bottom