• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 0811-1317 - Annabelle conjures up #1, Dark Tower Falls

the MCU was the context. thought that was obvious since its been the biggest story behind this iteration of the film franchise and one i expected to help it finally get it its 1Bil
People keep saying this but outside of Iron Man 3, no solo MCU film has made a billion. Would Sony have liked it to make a billion? Of course but with Homecoming being cheaper and eventually making more than the previous ASM films, i'm sure Sony is happy with that.

People are overestimating IT. I mean it should have no trouble clearing the record for the best opening for a horror movie, but 70 million?

You were saying it would be lucky to clear $30 mil a couple weeks ago though, right?

I think you might be lowballing it, is all. I dont' think people are overestimating it. I think WB said they're putting the floor at 50mil? Maybe I read that wrong.

kswiston

Homecoming would be flirting with $1B if the exchange rates were still where they were in 2012 when Spider-Man had his last reboot.

You were saying it would be lucky to clear $30 mil a couple weeks ago though, right?

I think you might be lowballing it, is all. I dont' think people are overestimating it. I think WB said they're putting the floor at 50mil? Maybe I read that wrong.

Tracking was $50M last I heard. I think some of it is going to depend on the film's reception. If this is a "good" horror film, I think that it will blow up. It also helps that Annabelle Creation will likely be the last film to break $30M opening weekend from now until when IT launches.

Replicant

look, I have CONSISTENTLY made these threads for almost (over?) 10 years, barring a few bans or work/family related instances where I have asked someone to pitch hit. I started this back when no one gave a flying fuck about weekend box office. And for years I would tell peeps to pm me thread titles or whatever if they wanted to participate. It's all good. But no one cared. Ever. So whatever. I kept at it by myself coming up with a new thread title every week w/o fail. Sometimes I would take a comment someone made that I found interesting or funny and use that. Regardless of the shit I would get.

now, if y'all want to take the reins/responsibility of these threads now that it's a hot/popular topic be my guest and good luck. LOL

how about this: I will take a break from making these threads for a month. And y'all can do whatever you like. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Don't let those whiny posters get you down.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I think that Toy Story 4 will take a domestic tumble from TS3. 3 was a perfect ending.

However, we all know that Toy Story 4 is there to sell toys. The film is a $200M commercial that we will pay for the priviledge of seeing. Toy Story 3 did close to $3B in merch within the first year or so.

Small drop from TS3 I think. The fact that everyone generally loves all 3 Toy Story movies can't really be viewed as a negative. It's certainly not a Cars/Transformers/Pirates situation.

Tracking was $50M last I heard. I think some of it is going to depend on the film's reception. If this is a "good" horror film, I think that it will blow up. It also helps that Annabelle Creation will likely be the last film to break $30M opening weekend from now until when IT launches.

Also, Annabelle had that IT preview attached to it, didn't it?

look, I have CONSISTENTLY made these threads for almost (over?) 10 years, barring a few bans or work/family related instances where I have asked someone to pitch hit. I started this back when no one gave a flying fuck about weekend box office. And for years I would tell peeps to pm me thread titles or whatever if they wanted to participate. It's all good. But no one cared. Ever. So whatever. I kept at it by myself coming up with a new thread title every week w/o fail. Sometimes I would take a comment someone made that I found interesting or funny and use that. Regardless of the shit I would get.

now, if y'all want to take the reins/responsibility of these threads now that it's a hot/popular topic be my guest and good luck. LOL

how about this: I will take a break from making these threads for a month. And y'all can do whatever you like. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Xao don't listen to these haters. I've appreciated your threads and the work that you put into it for almost as long as you're doing them.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

It's tracking for $50m but we're in here talking about $80m and $200m total.

giphy.gif

I can't even remember the last horror movie that even approached $200m.

kswiston

Curiosity got the better of me, and I went and tracked down spoilers regarding the scene that you guys were talking about from the IT novel.

Why did I do that...

EGM1966

BO threads are my main interest on OT right back to when I was lurking. Y'all do what you want with the titles if you've been the force behind them.

On a different note just realised this past week that Dark Tower was only $60 million yo make. What's current estimates on final total given current drops?

RBH

how about this: I will take a break from making these threads for a month. And y'all can do whatever you like. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Ignore him and keep doing your thing.

kswiston

Everyone already kissed and made up. xaosslug is going to keep making threads. You guys can catch up with the rest of the thread instead of quoting the first page :p

The head-scratching pun thread titles are part of the fun. Keep em coming!

Too bad WW isn't doing a little better worldwide, but Spider-Man is hugely internationally famous.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
There isn't enough talk in here about Nut Job 2 having the worst opening ever for a 4000 theater release. It's always nice to see a record broken.

Wonder Woman's tracking started of like $20-25 million less than it eventually opened at.

You mean that super pessimistic $65m number WB was throwing out as their "internal" projection? That was pretty clearly BS.

Xao is the reason we can still relive Avatar's week-by-week box office run on this forum.

That second weekend thread is still amazing.

What record did that Nicholas Hoult/Felicity Jones movie break earlier this year again? Worst opening for 3000+ theaters, or biggest 2nd week drop or something?

Curiosity got the better of me, and I went and tracked down spoilers regarding the scene that you guys were talking about from the IT novel.

Why did I do that...

Whoof I'd hate to be someone who watches the movie and then tracks down the book to find out what got left out and be like: "what the fuck?" The blog posts on the topic should be interesting.

The head-scratching pun thread titles are part of the fun. Keep em coming!

Too bad WW isn't doing a little better worldwide, but Spider-Man is hugely internationally famous.

Yeah. Depending on how Japan and these final weeks shake out, Wonder Woman will have a damn near 50/50 split between domestic and foreign. Spider-Man Homecoming should be closer to 40/60 (ASM2 was 30/70).

Just watched Annabelle, pretty decent tbh. Much better than the 1st one and way more like a Conjuring movie. Afew people in too for a Sunday night, I'm sure it will do well.

The IT preview before it started though, damn that was awesome. Seeing a bit of the Pennywise and Georgie scene was great. After this, I'm sold on Skarsgard in the role. The way he talks, he's like a darker version of Tim Curry's Pennywise, I really liked it.

Dark Tower wasn't the worst movie I've ever seen, but damn if it didn't have anything positive going for it. It's just a void of 2 hours in my life that I can't get back.

It's tracking for $50m but we're in here talking about $80m and $200m total.

What we.

Compared to that dude, 50mil is "overestimating it"

So I mean, like, WB is apparently overestimating it.

If an Annabelle sequel can clear 35mil in its opening weekend IT should be able to get close to 60, right? 55-60?

I'm not even flat out saying it should double. Just that 50 should probably be the floor.

edit: I have no idea what any of this Dragonball shit means.

kswiston

Now that the rest of the summer is clearer:

Top 10 Domestic Films of Summer 2017 (my best guesses at final grosses)

1) Wonder Woman - $407-412M
2) Guardians of the Galaxy - $389-390M
3) Spider-Man Homecoming - $320-330M
4) Despicable Me 3 - around $260M
5) Dunkirk - $185-195M (maybe $200M if WB does a re-expansion for Labor Day)
6) Pirates 5 - $172M
7) Cars 3 - $150M (EDIT: More if Disney brings it back for Labor Day)
8) War for the Planet of the Apes - $145-150M (fading hope that it will pass Cars 3)
9) Transformers 5 - $131-132M
10) Girls Trip - $115-125M

Worldwide (not as clean yet. Some of these could be off):

1) Despicable Me 3 - $960M-1B
2) Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - $862M
3) Spider-Man Homecoming - $835-880M (depends on China)
4) Wolf Warrior 2 - $800M+ (Not sure at the final gross. China is crazy)
5) Wonder Woman - $815-825M (depending on Japan)
6) Pirates 5 - $790M or so
7) Transformers 5 - $600-620M
8) Dunkirk - $475-525M (depends on China)
8) War for the Planet of the Apes - $475-525M (depends on China and South Korea)
10) The Mummy - $410M

What are the odds WB does re-expand Dunkirk for Labor Day? This is the first I'm hearing it's a possibility (sorry if I missed it upthread)

Anth0ny

Now that the rest of the summer is clearer:

Top 10 Domestic Films of Summer 2017 (my best guesses at final grosses)

1) Wonder Woman - $407-412M
2) Guardians of the Galaxy - $389-390M
3) Spider-Man Homecoming - $320-330M
4) Despicable Me 3 - around $260M
5) Dunkirk - $185-195M (maybe $200M if WB does a re-expansion for Labor Day)
6) Pirates 5 - $172M
7) Cars 3 - $150M
8) War for the Planet of the Apes - $145-150M (fading hope that it will pass Cars 3)
9) Transformers 5 - $131-132M
10) Girls Trip - $115-125M

All this tells me is one thing:

THE PEOPLE WANT MORE MARVEL AND DC MOVIES!

giphy.gif

kswiston

What are the odds WB does re-expand for Labor Day? This is the first I'm hearing it's a possibility

Disney does it all the time. I don't know if WB doing it is very likely though. Seems to be everyone but them joining in.

2016 Labor Day re-expansions
Finding Dory - 345 venues to 2075 venues
Ghostbusters - 434 venues to 1091 venues
Ice Age 5 - 455 venues to 692 venues
Nerve - 455 venues to 761 venues
ID4R - 112 venues to 391 venues

The year before was Inside out (763 to 2967 venues), plus smaller increases for Southpaw and Pixels. I think that Jurassic World re-expanded the weekend before as well.

Disney pretty much always re-expands their summer Pixar film. We'll see if Cars gets the same treatment though. It made a lot less than any of the past few summer Pixar movies.

kswiston

2017 wasn't a great year for Scarlett, no.

If this year is similar to 2015 and 2016 in terms of box office distribution, Ghost in the Shell will land in the #65-75 range on the yearly domestic list. Rough Night might not make the Top 100.

EDIT: Substantially more people wanted to see Monster Trucks in theatres than Rough Night.

AndyVirus

SMH 2 comes out 2 weeks after Toy Story 4 and 2 weeks before The Lion King. I'm typically of the opinion that big movies can coexist at the box office but Sony really needs to move that date.

I really don't need another MCU movie just 2 months after the climax of 11 years worth. Would rather it be 2020.

berzeli

Banned
Girls Trip sneaking into that top 10.

Where's Rough Night at again?
I love Rough Night... as a case study.

It has a 2015 Black List script*, it's being written and directed by the people behind one of the most acclaimed comedy TV shows, it has Scar-Jo + star from said acclaimed comedy TV show, it's edited by a dude who worked with Judd Apatow (because of course he did), and it's only going to cost $20 million to make.
It's like listening to Bruce Campell explaining how Congo got made. Only that Congo was profitable.

*(though I'm of the opinion that The Black List is outplayed and was always overrated)

kswiston

I really don't need another MCU movie just 2 months after the climax of 11 years worth. Would rather it be 2020.

Speaking of the MCU, Thor's opening weekend will put the franchise past the $5B mark domestically.

Infinity War should be the film that breaks the cumulative $15B barrier for the MCU worldwide. The worldwide total is around $12.5B at the moment.

I'd never seen that video before

"YOU JUST MADE CONGOOOOOO"

edit: Woody's having an okay year though.

Glass Castle doesn't seem to be doing very well critically or commercially, but then again it's just a relatively cheap indie drama so there probably wasn't really anything expected of it.

Speaking of women who aren't having particularly great years, Naomi Watts though. At least she's got Twin Peaks.

kswiston

Speaking of dramas that aren't doing well, Detroit's drop is pretty harsh after a lower than expected start last weekend. I can't imagine that anyone involved is thrilled with the numbers they are getting.

Top Bottom