• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best gaming monitor

Naar

Would you guys recommend the ASUS VG23AH for fighting games? What should I look for to know it has low input lag?

MooseKing

Banned
I would recommend a 27" Korean monitor (Catleap, Shimian etc.) S-IPS and a ridiculous 2560x1440 resolution. Colourful games like Just Cause 2 and Rayman Origins look stunning.

This.

Got mine for $180 after he gave a discount for it taking a long time to get to me.

Looks identical to a $1000 Cinema Display.

Since i moved to Japan 3 months ago, i left home all my consoles; i'd like to buy a PS3 or 360 (EDF4 is coming!!!) and i'd prefer a monitor instead of tv.

Considering next gen is just around the corner, don't wanna spend too much (250$/25,000yen max) and don't need a big screen (anything up from 21" is ok), what should i buy ?

My last monitor was an Asus 23" IPS bought on January 2012 and i really liked it, so i'm focused on IPS monitors.
Any suggestion will be appreciated gaffers :)

Right now running a Samsung S27A950D.

Itching to upgrade and throw this monitor into the living room setup for guests.

Has anyone had any experience with the Dell/LG 29" Ultra-Wide monitors?

2560x1080, genuinely seems like the widescreen aspect would be great for gaming. Primarily FPS, RTS and Driving Sim titles. Input lag doesn't seem to drastic, going off of the very few YouTube videos I can find of the monitors. Same panel, apparently.

Kukuk

Banned
Heya, looking for a monitor, and would like some recommendations.

I'm looking for something in the 23" to 24" range, and under $200. Two I had my eye on were Asus VH238H and Dell P2312H. I haven't heard a whole lot about the Dell one, but the few reviews I have seen outside of Newegg seemed to suggest it's a pretty good monitor.

The Asus one I've seen a lot of people like, but I've also seen complaints of ghosting with it, and I absolutely can't stand ghosting.

So, anyone here use the Dell one? And if you wouldn't recommend either of these, what monitor would your recommend?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

mkenyon

Banned
Right now running a Samsung S27A950D.

Itching to upgrade and throw this monitor into the living room setup for guests.

Has anyone had any experience with the Dell/LG 29" Ultra-Wide monitors?

2560x1080, genuinely seems like the widescreen aspect would be great for gaming. Primarily FPS, RTS and Driving Sim titles. Input lag doesn't seem to drastic, going off of the very few YouTube videos I can find of the monitors. Same panel, apparently.
Worth giving up the 120Hz?

This is the EVO monitor. It's the standard for fighting games.

There's nothing remarkable about it. Pixel response is what you expect, its TN, its 60hz, and has no input lag like most decent 23" monitors.

If you are confused at what to look for in a "gaming monitor", this is what matters:
  • Motion performance + refresh rate. Specsheet figures give you an idea but don't tell you the full picture. Monitors with 120hz will look smoother than monitors with 60hz. Seek reviews that have PixPerAn results, not all 120hz monitors are the same.
  • Input lag. Seek reviews, you cannot guess if a monitor has a lot or a little. For instance, the Dell U3014 has 3.4ms of input lag while in game mode: that's less than most 120hz monitors. Generally speaking, most decent 23" monitors have none.
  • Screen technology. IPS has stable vertical images, TN does not which can be a problem for larger monitors. Some IPS monitors can be found in 2560x1440 and 2560x1600 resolutions while TN are limited to 1920x1080. That's all you need to know. TFT screen technology these days isn't totally representative of actual motion fidelity like it used to be. The Asus VG23AH, for instance, is the best 60hz monitor on the market if you don't wear eyeglasses.
  • Inputs. Obviously get inputs you need. HDMI, DVI have BC support for each other. DP doesn't but has insane amounts of bandwidth. Don't use VGA.
  • Scaling. Make sure it can do 1:1 or 16:9 if you want to use a PS3 with it.
  • Gamma. Look for reviews that show the default gamma of the monitor. Hopefully they've played around with the available settings. You want the curve to be smooth and sitting around 2.2. Gamma is difficult to fix without hardware calibration since games override icc profiles most of the time. icc profiles are kind of a dodgy way of calibration anyway, which is why hardware calibration still exists.

That's a lot to take in but if you want to blow big bucks on an expensive monitor, that's what you look at. Just because its used by Fatal1ty or some random SC2 progamers does not mean its a good monitor. From what I've seen from SC2 progamers, they'll say anything is good so long they get money.

That's the TV I was looking at. It says 5ms response time

http://www.prad.de/en/guide/screen7794.html

I was also told to look into this ViewSonic monitor as well. But it has 2 values for response time 5ms and 2ms, why the 2 values?

http://www.prad.de/en/guide/screen6980.html

Which would be better between the 2?

If you don't wear prescription eyeglasses, the Asus VG23AH is easily the better. If you do wear prescription eyeglasses, try and find one in person because the passive 3D filter can fuck with the image quality if you can see them. Its IPS and pretty much perfect overdrive. With custom GPU timings, it can also run at 72/75/76hz if that interests you. If you can't get that monitor, I still wouldn't get that Viewsonic. 2ms and 5ms doesn't mean a single thing.

monita-nintendo-land.jpg

Hahaha yeah that's what I expected. I did help with the monitor options in the computer building thread though so I'm no random stranger!

Seriously though, its better that you understand what you're buying rather than listening to advice spouted by strangers. I have no idea why that MLG Asus monitor is still recommended since there's nothing remarkable about it. Also, people still recommending 2560x1440 monitors besides the Viewsonic VP2770 and those ones with the 2B PCB for gaming purposes.

Hey guys!

Just last night I bought the Asus VS238H-P off Amazon for fighting games. I was told that this is a really good monitor, but, because of how finicky I tend to be with this stuff, I want to ask just to get more feedback/assurance that this will be a good monitor.

I'm going to be using this for my PS3 for fighting games (as well as other games, but fighting games are really what I got this monitor for), so my main concern with it is that it's got low input lag (preferably the same as the Evo monitor, the Asus VH236H) and other than that, I'll be good with it.

If anyone has any knowledge on this that they can drop, I would be much appreciated! I'd really like to find out before it gets here so I don't potentially end up with a monitor that isn't what I want that I've already opened. So if anyone can answer, that'd be awesome, thanks :D

Worth giving up the 120Hz?

In all honesty, I'm not even sure yet. I feel like 21:9 would definetly give me a more immersive experience in first person perspective titles.

And although 120hz would suit me better for first person titles, I think the overall immersive feel of a 21:9 aspect ratio would balance out running anything at 60hz.

Trying to gauge opinions right now, especially as I'm about to jump into downsampling & entertaining the idea of SLI'ing (2) Titans.

I've been looking at a few 16:9 monitors as well, the Tempest line seems to be highly regarded.

That is also a very real contender for me, especially if I can find the PP version with ease.

Decisions decisions.

Robso

Just wondering, I often heard that with 1080p on HDTVs below a certain size (40 inch was it?) that you couldn't tell the difference between that and 720p. So, I'm just wondering with all these higher resolutions like the second post in the thread stating 1440p and 1600p can you see the difference is it different when it comes to PC games and running through monitors that support these higher resolutions?

I currently have a 1366 x 768 / 60 Hz monitor. It's a nice looking monitor, graphics look great through it, but I'm just wondering for future reference. The most I can fit in, size wise, is around 18.5. Wouldn't want to go any lower than the perfect fit of 18.5 I currently have. So is it worth getting a better monitor in the future?

Thanks.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Seems to be the only way to get >90Hz, IPS, and 1440p.

Thanks had no clue something like this existed.

Just wondering, I often heard that with 1080p on HDTVs below a certain size (40 inch was it?) that you couldn't tell the difference between that and 720p. So, I'm just wondering with all these higher resolutions like the second post in the thread stating 1440p and 1600p can you see the difference is it different when it comes to PC games and running through monitors that support these higher resolutions?

I currently have a 1366 x 768 / 60 Hz monitor. It's a nice looking monitor, graphics look great through it, but I'm just wondering for future reference. The most I can fit in, size wise, is around 18.5. Wouldn't want to go any lower than the perfect fit of 18.5 I currently have. So is it worth getting a better monitor in the future?

Thanks.

Usually dot pitch and viewing distance factor in to that. If you have good monitor and are less than 2" from it the difference is quite noticeable.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
In all honesty, I'm not even sure yet. I feel like 21:9 would definetly give me a more immersive experience in first person perspective titles.

And although 120hz would suit me better for first person titles, I think the overall immersive feel of a 21:9 aspect ratio would balance out running anything at 60hz.

Trying to gauge opinions right now, especially as I'm about to jump into downsampling & entertaining the idea of SLI'ing (2) Titans.
The main benefit of 120hz is being able to vsync without incurring massive amounts of input lag.

I own the Dell UltraSharp 2408fwp, it's a few years old but its an extra wide color gamut monitor so
It's great for gaming. It has a very small dot pitch so games look very sharp. It also has every input you can imagine. The new 2413 is out and from what I've read It's bettern that the 2412. My 2408 also has a 1:1 aspect lock.

The main benefit of 120hz is being able to vsync without incurring massive amounts of input lag.

For the most part, I use the adaptive v sync included in the newer GTX cards. Right now my 680 can push 120hz/1440p with ease in pretty much every title I've thrown at it. I haven't really had any issues with input lag at 60hz.

Aside from Far Cry, so far.

About to start downsampling heavily and with games getting more GPU/VRAM intensive, upgrading my GPU to a Titan (maybe SLI) and a new monitor is on my to buy list.

LCGeek

formerly sane

FPS titles introduce the problem of FOV limits. While your monitors have the means if the game limits them it's money out the window.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Yep, once you get used to 120fps, 60fps feels a bit sluggish.

60fps was a compromise. Before LCD took over crts ranged from 75hz-160hz depending on the resolution.

Can 120hz monitors only 120hz or can you program them via 3rd party resolution program to do other refreshrates.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Yep, once you get used to 120fps, 60fps feels a bit sluggish.
I see nice improvements even at 75hz/fps and 85hz/fps. In fact, I have to pay really close attention to see the difference between 90fps (which happens to be UE3's MP limit) and 120fps.

mephixto

Banned
60fps was a compromise. Before LCD took over crts ranged from 75hz-160hz depending on the resolution.

Can 120hz monitors only 120hz or can you program them via 3rd party resolution program to do other refreshrates.

Well at least my BenQ XL2420T can do 90 and 60 Hz just changing the settings on the Nvidia panel. Also support 4k res downsampling but only at 60Hz.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Well at least my BenQ XL2420T can do 90 and 60 Hz just changing the settings on the Nvidia panel.

Thanks you knew exactly what I meant. If that's settled I will be buying on of those overlord panels when I can. Custom resolutions is so good and saves me doing registry bullshit.

mkenyon

Banned
I see nice improvements even at 75hz/fps and 85hz/fps. In fact, I have to pay really close attention to see the difference between 90fps (which happens to be UE3's MP limit) and 120fps.
There's an easy fix for this.

You have to enable frame smoothing and then set the max frame smoothing rate to 122. It's in the engine.ini file.

1-D_FTW

I don't get it. They're still TN panels though right? How do they not have motion blur?

I don't even get what that means? You say that like TN is a negative thing. TN panels are faster than IPS. They have much shittier viewing angles (not really a problem if you're seated directly in front of it), but they're much faster than IPS panels. And once you get to 120hz, you're talking CRT like motion. It's like you've traded a shitty LCD for something that's really awesome.

EDIT: It's been pointing out you're probably talking in comparison to a CRT. So I'll just say this: try one. Odds are you'll be extremely surprised (and impressed).

And this.

The control panel will let you go to 60, 100, 110, 120 (or 144hz if you have the latest Asus models) on the Asus models.

mkenyon

Banned
I don't even get what that means? You say that like TN is a negative thing. TN panels are faster than IPS. They have much shittier viewing angles (not really a problem if you're seated directly in front of it), but they're much faster than IPS panels. And once you get to 120hz, you're talking CRT like motion. It's like you've traded a shitty LCD for something that's really awesome.
I think he's saying it in comparison to CRT.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
There's an easy fix for this.

You have to enable frame smoothing and then set the max frame smoothing rate to 122. It's in the engine.ini file.
That's the hard limit for an online UE3 game, even after the fix. But I don't think there's a limit if you play offline.

1-D_FTW

I think he's saying it in comparison to CRT.

Ah. Flew over my head:) Still, I don't think any CRT lover should write these off until they've actually used one. I was shocked an LCD could be that good (and I spend years raging about it killing off CRT).

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Hey let me drop a question on you.

I can do this, but when I use "3D mode" with the 3D turned off, I get weird horizontal lines that seem mostly fixated on the top right of my screen. Is there anyway to fix that?

It's as if the lines start there, and subtly disappear as you get further away.

Is there any way to fix that?

It looks similar to this. Look at the top right corner of the image.

wWBRm9p.gif

Also, I was reading about the monitors you've been posting about, and they said they recommend a better DVI cable to be able to push out the higher resolution/hz picture.

Does the quality of the cable matter beyond "dual link DVI" or "DVI".

I've been using the DVI cable that came with my monitor, but I do some 120hz gaming or 4k downsampled gaming, so would having a "better" cable allow me to push higher resolutions, or higher frame rates at downsampled resolutions?

Finally, if a better cable would help, any one that you recommend?

Thanks for reading this response.

Top Bottom