• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT IW: Marcus Beer strikes out at Jon Blow/Phil Fish over XB1 indie GI coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karu

Blow and Fish where obviously where going to be asked about the Microsoft indie 180. They where slaming Microsoft for years on twitter and are very against the lack of self publishing. They have become the face of Indie games, so why the surprised people want to ask them something when the 180 happened.
As I read it, Fish clearly stated, that they should just wait until it isn't a rumour anymore (the tweet were he responsed to Blow). I don't think that is a wrong thing to do. And then, the day after he responded. Don't see an issue.

Burt

Phil Fish keeping it classy.

xPu9fff.png

Meh, about what I expected.

Constantly gives opinions about industry issues to the point of going on interviews completely unrelated to their games.

Gets pissed off when asked for their opinions about industry issues.

AHA-Lambda

Seeing the original tweets in context yeah I don't think there is anything as bad as originally indicated, Marcus may have overshot this one, as much as I see his point.

Phil Fish keeping it classy.

xPu9fff.png

On the other hand he is now vindicated, FFS Fish. yeah, I take back my stance on Fish before he is an arsehole.

this is the same guy that got really mad at Kamiya for telling people to fuck off over twitter, right?

Is twitter etiquette his pet issue?

He was right about that one though.

I'd like to know how MS fucked Phil Fish over. Because he was 2 years late with the game, gave it a box art with a smiling marshmallow that turned off a huge chunk of XBLA customers, and it went on to sell shit as a result. Also didn't help that Phil Fish burnt down Japanese games igniting a hate fire for his game before it was even released. When it was then released with some game breaking issues, he squandered his first free patch not properly fixing it, and then he bitches about MS not picking up the bill so he can do a second.

Really, how is MS at fault at all? He just did not want to accept responsibility for his game and its release and instead deflected it to MS for no good reason.

If he was all about keeping it real indie style he could have released on Xbox Live Indie games as it was an XNA game. He would have controlled a lot more of the pricing, updates, and release date. Lets face it, he wanted dash, achievements, and a serious look in from media.

Then John Blow basically has no room to complain other than him being upset that he has to write TCRs for his games so people can enjoy them.

I don't see a legitimate complaint from either of them to do with Microsoft's policy.

I'd more likely listen to Klei and the lack of dash space afforded to Mark of the Ninja or the late dash space for Super Meat Boy.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Hey indies give us clickbait consolewar bullshit comments on demand, or else we'll publicly insult you on video. Meanwhile we'll throw softball questions at any developer working at a major 3rd party because we can't lose access to that previous ad revenue and review copies.

What a fucking joke.

Reading the OP and tien the tweets in question I agree this is basically the way to sum up this overblown issue.

MarcusBeer

Neo Member
Good morning!

Let me go thru a few things here, you will probably still disagree with me but I don't have a problem with that.

Firstly, this was nothing to do with a GT story. This was down to conversations with other members of the media. The Blow/Fish responses came up as we were talking about the Xbox reversal & what was going to be next for the XB180. I then looked around on twitter & saw the various tweets which got me a little irked.

Next, seeing Blow/Fish held up as paragons of 'putting the games media in its place' is pretty daft to me. These two worked the system they claim to hate like pros to promote Braid & Fez, including doing a movie. They got what they wanted, lots of coverage that translates into sales, raising profiles in the process so they become pretty much two of the heavyweights of the indie dev world. When that happens, people want your opinion on things, especially when they pertain to your sector of the industry & feature the the company you have been kinda slamming for a while. (Not that I have a problem with anyone slamming anyone for their practices if it is deserved) To then take offense at that & decry the media for 'bothering' them seems to me pretty silly at best, diva-esque at worst.

Had the media been reaching out to them about something stupid like 'Is Kanye going PS4 or XBOne' then I would applaud them for ignoring & calling out people.

They didn't though. They took pops at some guys in the media who are actually good at what they do, don't post 'controversy for the sake of it' & research the shit out of everything they do. These are the guys who are the proper journos & should not be slapped in with a lot of the idiots who use that term.

The ironic thing is that these two chaps will be back hawking their wares sooner or later. Using the system that they hate, getting ready to cash some checks. If they don't want to be quoted, bothered etc, then perhaps they should rock some consistency & stop spouting the controversial stuff over twitter? I think these gents know how to use the system in ways that suit them & people buy into it.

I do admit to two things: One, Blow is not a hipster. I was corrected on the show and accept that.
Two: If I called myself a journalist then that is pretty stupid. I am part of the games media, but I don't have skills to do what some of these folks do. I am an 'opinionist' I guess?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
As I read it, Fish clearly stated, that they should just wait until it isn't a rumour anymore (the tweet were he responsed to Blow). I don't think that is a wrong thing to do. And then, the day after he responded. Don't see an issue.

Which is why the issue is overblown and the "journo" in question did not do himself a favor by attacking them.

deli2000

I do admit to two things: One, Blow is not a hipster. I was corrected on the show and accept that.
Two: If I called myself a journalist then that is pretty stupid. I am part of the games media, but I don't have skills to do what some of these folks do. I am an 'opinionist' I guess?

Oh man, you really think this is going to stop idiots using the 'Games Journalism' card to shoot down your arguments. If only.

Trust me, a ton of people are going to ignore this part of the post.

Which is why the issue is overblown and the "journo" in question did not do himself a favor by attacking them.

See?

udiie

Good morning!

Let me go thru a few things here, you will probably still disagree with me but I don't have a problem with that.

Firstly, this was nothing to do with a GT story. This was down to conversations with other members of the media. The Blow/Fish responses came up as we were talking about the Xbox reversal & what was going to be next for the XB180. I then looked around on twitter & saw the various tweets which got me a little irked.

Next, seeing Blow/Fish held up as paragons of 'putting the games media in its place' is pretty daft to me. These two worked the system they claim to hate like pros to promote Braid & Fez, including doing a movie. They got what they wanted, lots of coverage that translates into sales, raising profiles in the process so they become pretty much two of the heavyweights of the indie dev world. When that happens, people want your opinion on things, especially when they pertain to your sector of the industry & feature the the company you have been kinda slamming for a while. (Not that I have a problem with anyone slamming anyone for their practices if it is deserved) To then take offense at that & decry the media for 'bothering' them seems to me pretty silly at best, diva-esque at worst.

Had the media been reaching out to them about something stupid like 'Is Kanye going PS4 or XBOne' then I would applaud them for ignoring & calling out people.

They didn't though. They took pops at some guys in the media who are actually good at what they do, don't post 'controversy for the sake of it' & research the shit out of everything they do. These are the guys who are the proper journos & should not be slapped in with a lot of the idiots who use that term.

The ironic thing is that these two chaps will be back hawking their wares sooner or later. Using the system that they hate, getting ready to cash some checks. If they don't want to be quoted, bothered etc, then perhaps they should rock some consistency & stop spouting the controversial stuff over twitter? I think these gents know how to use the system in ways that suit them & people buy into it.

Please for the love of god, do not apologize.

Hagi

Whoa looking through Fish's last load of tweets, this guy is fucking nuts. Public apology my ass tell that guy to go fuck himself.

Oh man, you really think this is going to stop idiots using the 'Games Journalism' card to shoot down your arguments. If only.

Trust me, a ton of people are going to ignore this part of the post.

See?

Why don't you give people more than two minutes to read his post before you start jumping on your soapbox and picking out quotes?

I don't feel bad for GI or Beer at all. They're just fishing for hits.

I liked their games, but Fish and Blow are amongst the most unlikeable people in the industry.

What did Blow do? He did nothing. People just keep bugging him. Fish is the one that goes crazy calling people names.

I feel like Jonathan Blow deserved no bashing whatsoever, and both those men didn't want to comment on another MS story after having bad relations with them in the past.

Edit: I like Marcus' opinions on many things, I just think Blow got placed in this for the wrong reasons and vitriol isn't always the best way to create dialogue.

reggie

Banned

deli2000

You people realize that responding to Fish's tweet is giving him the attention he needs.

He's obviously baiting people now. Surely.

Surely?

Nokterian

Good morning!

Don't do any apology marcus,your just doing what you do and well it is pretty fun to see.

Nibel

Good morning!

What's with the insults and attacks on FEZ2/The Witness then?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Phil Fish is

A) Joking
B) Completely insane

Could be any combination of one, the other, or both.
Probably a little of a, a lot of b. Both should apologize for antagonizing each other though.

The Witless, tosspots, kill yourself (poor Bender quote), Not a proud showing by either.

Somnia

Reading through his tweets, dude seems pretty mad. Is he seriously getting a lawyer to look into libel? lol, he couldn't be more pretentious. Fez isn't gods gift to gaming, bro.

Him attacking back at Marcus on twitter will ruin any chances he has of using his lawyer to go after Marcus.

turnbuckle

Hey indies give us clickbait consolewar bullshit comments on demand, or else we'll publicly insult you on video. Meanwhile we'll throw softball questions at any developer working at a major 3rd party because we can't lose access to that previous ad revenue and review copies.

What a fucking joke.
that's my take on it as well, independent of how I feel about blow fish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom