• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S8 · S8+ |OT| - Available April 21, 2017

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
So on WIFI I get spammed about an app I give zero fucks about "DQA keeps stopping". Reminds me of Windows XP messenger. Whatever the fuck thus app is I wish it would stay stopped. I feel like I need to root this and ssh into it to correct it

I'm loving the iris scanner. I didn't do the face unlock because of the security but I think the fingerprint is easy for me as well and I don't have long fingers. I use the edge of the case to slide my finger right on top of the scanner.

teh_pwn

Fuck the DQA thing seems to be induced by today's Verizon update. What sort of shit system tests do they run?

teh_pwn

What's DQA? I got the Verizon update but don't see it on Wifi.

No idea. But if I use WIFI it gives me buckets of popups about this useless service stopping or keeps stopping.

I really want to enter 'sudo service DQA shutTheFuckUp', but Google is going the way of Apple with regards to repackaging outdated Linux distros and then shitting on it.

Also, proof that I'm not crazy:
https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/931126

teh_pwn

So basically no WIFI for now. I have 1.6 GiB left for my billing cycle and I'm optimistic for a fix soon, but I'm totally willing to call Verizon's support line to call them out on their shitastic system testing or lack thereof. Clearly I'm in the wrong segment of the software engineering industry. How the fuck do these people have stable jobs.

Jeffrey

my god is bixby a terrible first impression. often hit it by accident reaching for volume.

it's basically a slower and shittier google now cards....

Strakt

So on WIFI I get spammed about an app I give zero fucks about "DQA keeps stopping". Reminds me of Windows XP messenger. Whatever the fuck thus app is I wish it would stay stopped. I feel like I need to root this and ssh into it to correct it

I had that error pop up repeatedly after I did the update on my ATT phone. Had to reformat phone to make it stop :(

SLV

Got my S8+ today, question, I'm on a contract where I can exchange my phone every 6 months, but it has to be in pristine condition, charger and wire included, my question, I have ordered a glass protector and a spigen case and a USB c wire, the only difference on the charger I can see is that the Galaxy s6 charger has a model Number that ends with EWE white color, and the black s8 Pluss charger ends with model number EBE, voltages are the same, ampers are the same, am I safe to use the old one to not negatively influence the battery on the new s8 plus? So I don't even have to take the packaging tape of the new charger and wire off. I tried googling but did not find an answer, any ideas?

teh_pwn

I had that error pop up repeatedly after I did the update on my ATT phone. Had to reformat phone to make it stop :(

I'm too lazy for that. I plan on bitching on the phone, but I probably won't have to because the masses are impacted and they will call.

Izayoi

Banned
My first time using a phone-based payment system. Samsung or Android Pay?

Also, has anyone figured out to use super dimming? Minimum brightness is definitely NOT 2 nits.

Mindwipe

Got my S8+ today, question, I'm on a contract where I can exchange my phone every 6 months, but it has to be in pristine condition, charger and wire included, my question, I have ordered a glass protector and a spigen case and a USB c wire, the only difference on the charger I can see is that the Galaxy s6 charger has a model Number that ends with EWE white color, and the black s8 Pluss charger ends with model number EBE, voltages are the same, ampers are the same, am I safe to use the old one to not negatively influence the battery on the new s8 plus? So I don't even have to take the packaging tape of the new charger and wire off. I tried googling but did not find an answer, any ideas?

Yes, it's still a quick charge 2 charger so it's the same block, just the cable has changed.

Samsung Pay in the US, Android Pay literally anywhere else (or neither).
In Seoul right now and Samsung Pay works just fine. In fact, I prefer to use it over another method of payment and literally all the cashiers here know how to use it unlike the cashiers in the US lol.

The Cowboy

my god is bixby a terrible first impression. often hit it by accident reaching for volume.

it's basically a slower and shittier google now cards....
On top of that, sometimes pressing the button does nothing and you have to press it again a few times to make it work.

Hjod

Banned
My first time using a phone-based payment system. Samsung or Android Pay?

Also, has anyone figured out to use super dimming? Minimum brightness is definitely NOT 2 nits.

Samsung Pay seems to work fine here in Sweden, seems like there's good support for it here. Not that I've used it yet.

I'm really enjoying the phone, alot. Where do you guys get your backgrounds? Looking for high resolutions, and what is the whole infinity background people are talking about?

BraXzy

I just tried to view that 4K HDR video someone posted before on this.. highest quality I could hit was 720p60 what gives?

Oh and I went to set up Android Pay with my main bank, it's like the only major UK bank not supported. Classic!

Why does my Google keyboard no longer auto capitalise my i's?

teh_pwn

Setting battery to mid power saving got rid of DQA for me.

T.O.P

Banned
Does anyone know if i can transfer my Whatsapp chats with photos/videos etc. wich are currently on my Iphone 6 to my new S8?

jm89

The s8+ makes my z3 look ancient. Also the akg earphone are decent, not sure if they are worth the price tag samsung quoted, but they definitely are on par(maybe slightly better) with a lot of the £50-£40 headphones i usually buy.

pitchfork

Samsung clear view flip case arrived this morning - Looks snazzy and feels nice and sturdy, really happy with it

Heads up for those on 3 mobile in the UK today - there's been a service outage since 1200pm

Any other carriers beside Verizon get a system update? I haven't read through the thread. Just for getting the apps to sync with the screen ratio.
The Verizon update seemed to fix a minor issue that caused distortion in the widgets if you were using a theme with animated screen transitions too.

Pepiope

Does anyone know if i can transfer my Whatsapp chats with photos/videos etc. wich are currently on my Iphone 6 to my new S8?
I was able to move everything over from my s6 to s8+.

I think it's all backed up on what's app so it should be fine.

The only thing I don't like so far is that some apps don't play nice with this phone as of now. :(

For those of you who already got their phone, how is the battery life? It seems like certain users are reporting an extremely short SoT, while others have a really good time.

For those of you who already got their phone, how is the battery life? It seems like certain users are reporting an extremely short SoT, while others have a really good time.

today will be my first real test, but it wont be as optimal as testing it during a work day when im on the phone all of the time

teh_pwn

Light usage at work and it's 80% when I get home. My S5 typically was around 60%.

BriGuy

Ridiculous. I've been using mine on and off since 7:00 this morning. Four hours later and it's at 94%.

Current frustration is not having a comma key in the default keyboard. Seems to be replaced with a question mark. What am I a dumbass on Yahoo answers?

Press and hold on the question mark, choose comma from the pop-up menu, and the question mark default will change to a default comma.

(Same process as on the S7, for what it's worth)

cilonen

This is unquestionably the best phone I've ever owned. Switching over from iPhone has been a breeze and the Google Apps have made things super easy to get set up.

Wishes:
Neutron Music Player badly needs a reskin from someone who actually knows something about graphic design in the year 2017.
USB C standards. The Anker lead I got to charge my Switch from a power bank charges the phone great, but if I want to transfer content I have to use the lead I got with the phone - the Anker one won't let the computer recognise the phone.

teh_pwn

Press and hold on the question mark, choose comma from the pop-up menu, and the question mark default will change to a default comma.

(Same process as on the S7, for what it's worth)

That worked, thanks

What's the promo? I ordered directly from Samsung. Am I missing out on something?

I claimed my pre order promo and went to samsungpromitions. It told me to use the samsung shop app. Went through and sent in my info. Status is being reviewed now.

Then i went to register through the app and when i get to the part where i hit register, it says registration error. Idk :(

BraXzy

It almost never works outside at night or in places with bad lighting, it also struggles when up close. Really a shame as the fingerprint scanner on the back ain't that great either.

What I've done is add the same fingerprint multiple times, one for each side of my finger so no matter the angle it recognises it. Made me go from like 70% accuracy to 100%.

Strakt

One thing I'm not diggin is that using my phone in my car (Android Auto), I listen to a lot of music podcasts, and theres no way to skip through songs. I loaded up a trance set on google play music and it only had play/pause/skip.

Also edge lighting seems to not work for me.

Top Bottom