• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD Ghosts Xbox One offline (2 weeks before launch) not possible without Live?

Lynn616

Or console bans go all the way now and lock the entire system down. But I am seriously doubting that one. Again, this has to be an issue related to the damn thing not even being released yet. Perhaps not even fully updated. Stop licking your chops, peeps.

If that is the case then it must be a special case. They have never done that before and I dont see them doing it after the 22nd.

Not even being able to play offline is all kinds of fucked.

I don't give a flying fuck if your console is banned or not. No company should ever have the power to make a system completely inoperable.

Yeah it's strange to me that when consoles get banned or when accounts get banned for whatever reason, the games a person has paid for are no longer playable. It's such a fucked up concept.

Boost

Banned
So THAT's why the PS4 box said Offline Enabled (taken from here)

e4uKhTG.png
Okay...

Well nobody has a picture of the back of the Xbone verison of Ghost?

Skilletor

It can't be that console bans go all the way because he could play after he was banned, right? This really does sound like the DRM is still in place. But that's confusing because we're two weeks from launch and it seems like that would've been one of the first things to go with OS updates.

TyrantII

Because the software is not finished yet. They wouldn't want minor issues/bugs from unfinished code blowing up on the internet. Unfortunately that is exactly what seems to be happening anyways...

Redmond to Boston is only 7 hours. Call the guy up, make promises to hold off 12 hours, and turn it into a positive viral campaign working with him and official PR. I mean look at the guys twitter handle, he's a huge freaking fan.

Proactive vs reactive.

Foxix Von

I've noticed that MS is opting out of telling people what resolution the game runs at this gen.

There was really no point to it in the first place considering how it was handled on the 360. The boxes never state what the internal rendering resolution is, just what its output is. It was ever really only important for PS3 games and even then the cases are frequently mislabeled.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It's also within 24 hours of the ban... which is why folks are speculating that this is the 24 hour check-in rearing its ugly little head.

Right, this is basically the case. The important thing to note is if he played post console ban, he was offline and played single player. This means that the ban didn't lock him out from offline content, AND that ghosts is not DRM locked, and that the 24 hour lockout is what's happening.

BUT his word is shakey on the important detail there.

But it was shortly after the ban. if COD needed daily checks it still would have passed.

It seemed like people were taking cboats thing as COD is always online.

The tweet that says he can play SP not MP is 2 days old.

But the point is he could play single player and now he can't. Everybody wants to know why. If it was because of the ban it shouldn't be too hard to come out and say the ban blocked the game and he'll be able to play come launch without Live or a check in

TyrantII

What evidence is there that Microsoft or dev's can stop you from playing SP content.

Um....

You do remember the #NoDRM campaign and always online 24hr license checks, right?

So we've been going on a promise that they 180'd and also a we're sorry. There's not much room for benefit of the doubt after it was their original plan in the first place that freaked everyone out...

It's one of either two things:

1. Microsoft can control your offline play functionality through a ban system.
  2. Offline play can be disabled at the publisher/developer's will.

Either one is bad.

Microsoft either restricted everything the user can do, this gives them unprecedented control over "your" console.

Or publishers and developers can choose not to enable offline play without an internet connection/connection to the game network.

We know about the ban system and it IS fucked up. If you pay for a game, nobody should have the right to take it away from you. I guess in a society the government can do shit like that through courts but a corporation can not be judge, jury and executioner.

Right, this is basically the case. The important thing to note is if he played post console ban, he was offline and played single player. This means that the ban didn't lock him out from offline content, AND that ghosts is not DRM locked, and that the 24 hour lockout is what's happening.

A 24 hour lockout would mean that Ghosts is DRM locked; remember, he already downloaded the day one patch that removed OS level DRM.

SRTtoZ

But the point is he could play single player and now he can't. Everybody wants to know why. If it was because of the ban it shouldn't be too hard to come out and say the ban blocked the game and he'll be able to play come launch without Live or a check in

Yea I get that now. I saw people reacting to the tweet as if it was brand new so I was kind of confused.

PBY

Banned
Man this dude is eating up the spotlight.

PacificTomb ‏@SazeHunt 8m
@Moonlightswami 6k followers doe?

#1 Source 4 XBOX ONE ‏@Moonlightswami 6m
@SazeHunt and growing brotha. :)

#1 Source 4 XBOX ONE ‏@Moonlightswami 4m
@TheKillSho @SazeHunt I was at 1,280 on Friday at 8 PM lol. Its been insane!

ascii42

I've noticed that MS is opting out of telling people what resolution the game runs at this gen.

On 360 cases, it wasn't exactly helpful anyway, because it listed output resolutions. As far as I know, every single game on the system could be output at 1080p because of the 360's scalar.

SRTtoZ

And now hes doing football picks and shit. Lol this guy. A Browns and Patriots fan.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
A 24 hour lockout would mean that Ghosts is DRM locked; remember, he already downloaded the day one patch that removed OS level DRM.

See my edit. Cboat post + the ps4 boxart made it seem always online.

But yeah, this could be another potential part of what's happening. A convoluted mess, lol.

He knows what he's doing. Keep it vague. Leave people guessing.

hawk2025

It seemed like people were taking cboats thing as COD is always online.

That's not quite right. Obviously any time-based DRM lock would have the software check with the OS how long it has been since the console was last online.
It may be that the console-level DRM is off, but there is a software-level option that has been applied (whether temporarily or not) to CoD.

That's not quite right. Obviously any time-based DRM lock would have the software check with the OS how long it has been since the console was last online.
It may be that the console-level DRM is off, but there is a software-level option that has been applied (whether temporarily or not) to CoD.
If this is the case, they made these decisions MONTHS ago. why are we 2 weeks out and its not in the code yet?

Top Bottom