• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Spoiler Thread

My hypothesis for a post-E bad ending was 9S not waking up due to fucking off to outer space with Adam and Eve. Seems I wasn't far off.

That ending is kind of funny, though, in a Taro way.
2B stopped.

Stupid phone won't let me read the concert stories but guess I was right. Returning to a taro world can never end well.

Ferr986

So D is canon. Meeeeeeehh, hated that 9S was able to kill A2 (even if it's more about 2Bconsiousness being an idiot and A2 being even more of an idiot).

webrunner

Joking to wife during credits about the number of violinists in the credits: there's was too much violins in this game :)
During ending E: I FUCKING TOLD YOU

wesStyle

so that stuff makes it sound like its Post C though, not post E
It likely has its own E(with 2B/9S reconstruction) too. But it is very different from what we got in the game indeed.

I love how Pod 153 says at the very end the same line she said after ingame E credits. But with this story there were no continuation and no cycle was broken.

PBalfredo

Ending E ended with the question of what will our heroes do now on their own. Will they be able to break free the cycle of needless violence to find their own way, or not. But the concert stuff throws all that away and just says "Nevermind, 9S is still dead. lol"

Fuck that.

LotusHD

Banned
Ending E ended with the question of what will our heroes do now on their own. Will they be able to break free the cycle of needless violence to find their own way, or not. But the concert stuff throws all that away and just says "Nevermind, 9S is still dead. lol"

Fuck that.

I mean, the Emil Heads' weapon story already hinted that cycle didn't get broken anyhow lol

PBalfredo

I've always felt kinda iffy on that. Just building up a network doesn't really describe what the machine's motives are.

Agreed. All that really means is that the machines are not wiped out. Just look at the aquatic machines lore to see how dramatically things can change when machines go off the network. A lot can happen between now and them rebuilding a network.

Gbraga

The game's ending is the game's ending. I also didn't feel like aliens and goth loli androids beint sent from the moon to fight them chapened Nier's ending.

He's probably already thinking about what's next, and how he'll connect it to Automata.

In that sense, ending D with the Leave option seemed like the most obvious choice to me.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Also I'm kinda iffy if the concert ending is all that canon to ending E. The pods talk about the 3 android's memory leaking out. That means they restored them from presumably the yorha database, which shouldn't really be possible for 9s at that point if he did transfer all of himself into the ark?

Also I'm kinda iffy if the concert ending is all that canon to ending E. The pods talk about the 3 android's memory leaking out. That means they restored them from presumably the yorha database, which shouldn't really be possible for 9s at that point if he did transfer all of himself into the ark?

So is this concert story the one being performed on 4th/5th May or a separate one. Doesn't ruin the ending but bit of a pointless downer to add to the story.

Pod 153 is still being a jerk. You just don't throw your boy into a gutter somewhere just because he's dead. (comatose?) Negative brofists for you!

Also, I guess it wasn't enough for us to lose just 9S, huh Yoko Taro?

But.. if it helps any, I also believe this recital to be a continuation of Ending C where the Pods manage to put 2B back together, but A2 and 9S just die. (The pods didn't even think of putting A2 together in this timeline. Goddamn.) After all, the plot of this play has to do with 2B excavating the ruins of the collapsed Tower and the unfired Ark for a way to bring 9S back. (Death of a Wish. :( Sorry Tekken Twins. )

I guess it really is fitting for Ending C to be called Meaningless [C]ode. I always liked D -> E better.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing about the androids that formed project YorHa. Eagerly waiting for a translation of the 2nd scenario.

Leezard

Funny enough, rejecting these concert stories in order to imagine a happier conclusion after Ending E fits with the theme of Ending E.

Oh man, that post-E sequence from the strategy guide that someone posted is great. It's extremely cute and heartwarming, but it's also kind of fucked up how 153's goal, and 042 joining even though he disagrees, echoes the machine war and the cycle of conflict in general, and it could quickly become soul-crushing if they are practicing "good morning" for a day that will never come. So many layers.

I'm even more confused about the continuity of the endings now, though. The concert story seems to take place after D->E considering that 9S went through his final novel section, but apparently A2 wasn't restored, and shouldn't all the data be gone if the Ark successfully launched? The concert story was written by Taro, right?

Also, I wonder if "Jessica" is a mistranslation of "Jackass" or if it's Jackass's real name.

What happens during ending C anyway? A2 hacks into 9S to "fix" him, Pod warns her that it is dangerous but she doesn't care, she makes her way to 9S's memory and asks Pod to "take care of 9S" after seemingly doing nothing to fix him, and then yanks on some light that brings down the tower.... uh what.

I consider all of other stuff outside of the story that is presented in the game itself, to be not canon. If Taro wants to destroy my hopes and dreams he has to make another game. I'm not giving him the satisfaction by believing those plays/concerts.

Can you guess who that was? :D
Ha. Didn't notice that :p
It is C -> new E. All evidence are in my reddit post and in comments.
It's pretty shaky. 9S only gets the Ark choice in ending D, and the best hope for a happy ending was from C. In ending D, 9S is resolved to either die for his sins and to shed his burden, or he achieves enlightenment and fucks off to outer space. Neither choice comfortably segues into waking up and living happily ever after.

Ending C on the other hand doesn't put 9S in that position, A2 goes out happy instead of being murdered, 2B doesn't have to indirectly kill 9S again via the sword, and 9S doesn't cross the boundary of committing android murder. It's a much brighter ending.

What happens during ending C anyway? A2 hacks into 9S to "fix" him, Pod warns her that it is dangerous but she doesn't care, she makes her way to 9S's memory and asks Pod to "take care of 9S" after seemingly doing nothing to fix him, and then yanks on some light that brings down the tower.... uh what.

A2 cut off 9S' replacement arm, severing the source of his infection, then uses his connection to the Machine Network to destroy the core of the Tower. Somewhere in there, she has the pod fly 9S out of the Tower so he doesn't get squished.

A2 cut off 9S' replacement arm, severing the source of his infection, then uses his connection to the Machine Network to destroy the core of the Tower. Somewhere in there, she has the pod fly 9S out of the Tower so he doesn't get squished.

Ah, thank you. 9S being connected with the network makes sense, I didn't really think about that.

PBalfredo

Ha. Didn't notice that :p

It's pretty shaky. 9S only gets the Ark choice in ending D, and the best hope for a happy ending was from C. In ending D, 9S is resolved to either die for his sins and to shed his burden, or he achieves enlightenment and fucks off to outer space. Neither choice comfortably segues into waking up and living happily ever after.

Ending C on the other hand doesn't put 9S in that position, A2 goes out happy instead of being murdered, 2B doesn't have to indirectly kill 9S again via the sword, and 9S doesn't cross the boundary of committing android murder. It's a much brighter ending.

Yeah, I'm confused by those claiming this follows ending C, seeing as how it also includes elements of ending D (and I also prefer ending C leading to ending E than D leading to E). Would it be reaching for me to think this is branching off of some new ending that combines aspects of C and D, where 9S is given the choice to stay or go, but the Ark is stopped regardless?

Ubernube

Yeah, I'm confused by those claiming this follows ending C, seeing as how it also includes elements of ending D (and I also prefer ending C leading to ending E than D leading to E). Would it be reaching for me to think this is branching off of some new ending that combines aspects of C and D, where 9S is given the choice to stay or go, but the Ark is stopped regardless?

It's possible 9S was conversing with the Ark while A2 was mucking about in his head, but since we're controlling A2 at the time we can't see it.

Philippo

Accurate enough?

y7dkb1_M.png

Cyanity

Banned
My headcanon has A2 and 2B waking up after the pods restore them, lamenting over 9S's failure to wake up (because he chose to leave with the ark), and then becoming a happy lesbian couple for the next 1000 years. The end.

Golnei

That'd be a little odd, considering they're built off the same personality data - they're pretty much twins. 2B can destroy herself trying to recover a scrap of 9S' remaining consciousness, A2 has Anemone.

(Also, speaking of A2; I still want to know where the idea of her being in a relationship with No. 4 came from - is it really just the vague mentions of them being close in the play, and being referred to as her companion in the file from Automata? That doesn't seem like anywhere near enough evidence.)

EdmondD

In ending C the machines get screwed for the sake of a slightly happier ending for androids. It's pretty damn dark depending on how much you care for the machines. Though I guess they can rebuild the ark it must a big loss for them.

I have not read the concert stuff but I'm going to soon. I see a lot of negative reactions and some even saying is just mindless nihilism. Every timeline is canon. Just go with the ending that you like. The whole Nier franchise exists because of a Drakengard joke ending. Make up your own interpretations. Make your own head canon. In fact in the GDC presentation Taro does he says he does not want to make the canon too inflexible. He does not want to set solid rules and tell people this is what the story should be. He wants the stories to be open to interpretation. I know I come up with some wacky theories some times but it's just fun for me to speculate. It's fun for me to make my own stories so to speak.

PBalfredo

In ending C the machines get screwed for the sake of a slightly happier ending for androids. It's pretty damn dark depending on how much you care for the machines. Though I guess they can rebuild the ark it must a big loss for them.

Yeah but honestly fuck the machine network. Fuck Adam. Fuck Terminal.

Fuck Terminal especially. When analyzing the game, we tend to get caught up in the parallels between the machines and the androids and how they're "not so different" that sometimes we lose sight of how utterly villainous Terminal is. Not only are they murderous extreme-Darwinists, but they are also cruel beyond measure to boot. Their machine virus not only took over YoRHa, but went the extra distance to taunt and torment the survivors as well. They orchestrated 9S' encounter with an infected 21O at the Soul Box and the 2B models in the tower. Not to mention their history with A2 back at Pearl Harbor.

It would be infuriating to think they could do all that then just peace out to space no problem. Especially since them leaving the war behind isn't some grand gesture that they no longer wish to fight. They still believe that hatred and conflict are the core of humanity and that strife is what allows them to evolve. Woe be for whatever inhabited planet the ark might one day land on because the machines would no doubt kick off a new unending war with those poor bastards for the sake of their own growth.

Kudos to A2 for nipping that problem in the bud in ending C, saving untold alien planets.

Antiwhippy

To be fair their darwinism is no worse than the androids who uses information gained from a unit that was designed to be destroyed once their purpose is fulfilled.

And who can also force an android to be in a relationship where she has to kill the person she love continuously.

EdmondD

I can agree with fuck Terminal. There is also the assholes manipulating Yorha behind the scenes who cause a lot of pain and suffering perpetuating an endless war. I think when the machines invite 9S aboard the ark with no malice that they have changed and realized the futility of war. The ark was designed to blow the moon to hell but they changed their minds and turned it into an ark after observing signs of consciousness in androids and machines. I like the different machines like Engels and Pascal. The machines at the amusement park just having fun. Not every machine had murderous intentions.

PBalfredo

Don't get me wrong. The androids that set up YoRHa are rat bastards too and fuck them.

But also fuck Terminal and their ark no less.

And I'm specifically calling out Terminal's network of machines here. They were the ones who attacked Pascal's village, after all.

I think when the machines invite 9S aboard the ark with no malice that they have changed and realized the futility of war. The ark was designed to blow the moon to hell but they changed their minds and turned it into an ark after observing signs of consciousness in androids and machines.

I don't think the machine network ever realized the futility of war. They are the ones who keep fighting in order to fulfill the orders of their makers and maintain meaning for their existence. And unlike the grand majority of androids, they're fully aware that their creators are long dead, because they killed them. At least half of Terminal is still super hyped to have androids to fight, up until the very end. The purpose of the ark had more to do with the machine network trying to expand its own consciousness than to try and escape the war.

I honestly don't know why Adam invited 9S with no malice, since Adam thinks malice is the hypest shit ever (unless he thought 9S was too pitiful to hate).

Antiwhippy

I like to think that the adam copy that is in the machine network saw himself dying and thought "nah fuck that mate"

tsundoku

The fuck was the point of the commander. She has a face and everything and there are information restricted to her (SS) and portions lf the conspiracy she knows about (S) but she never does anything except for one small sacrifical gesture and her having an exposed face and personality seem to never pay off on anything.

Antiwhippy

I mean she presumably commands the bunker.

Androids presumably have not evolved to adopt anarchist communes to operate a space station through the independent actions of everyone working in it.

All kidding aside i mean they are modelled after humans so they presumably adopted human command structures.

PBalfredo

I suppose if they didn't put a certain amount of effort into your CO like the player would expect it would telegraph that YoRHa was ultimately just a pawn.

As an aside, I'm actually quite surprised Anemone survived in all branches, no problem. Luckiest Yoko Taro character?

Top Bottom