• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ann Coulter finds likely BFF/life partner in free-speech spat w/ Berkeley: Bill Maher

Status
Not open for further replies.
This and this. You can't really be for free speech if you are merely cherry-picking what you want to hear. Granted, Coulter spews vile, but there needs to be a better response to counter her viewpoints than violence and rioting.
Talking isn't going to do anything, as we're seeing right now that violence gets people to notice. Sucks, but it's how the world works.

Also I'm not advocating Coulter to be murdered. She's a joke.

This and this. You can't really be for free speech if you are merely cherry-picking what you want to hear. Granted, Coulter spews vile, but there needs to be a better response to counter her viewpoints than violence and rioting.

Well if the country wasn't being run by people like Ann Coulter I don't think there'd be a response of protests and violence, but the students at Berkeley are being held hostage in a country run by bigots who ask to be heard on one hand and espouse a desire to harm people on the other.

No we're saying that the general public has been exposed to her "viewpoints" on a mass scale across the country for years now and she's proven to be nothing but garbage. If she wants to be heard she can literally go on the most popular news channel in America whenever she wants. I don't see why any student has to pay tuition to invite her to their campus.

Ok see, I can understand that argument. And it's the students right to say this is not what I want my tuition going to. But just on the principle of not wanting someone to speak because you don't like them, well I don't agree with that.

You're talking about a goofy right wing provocateur. Her biggest "crime" is saying insultingly stupid things on television.

Stunning to see this genuinely murderous rhetoric being openly espoused on GAF.

I think you might be taking this a bit far. I would not parallel anything anyone has said in here to murderous intent.

shoelacer

Banned
Are you serious?

GAF dogpile threads really do bring out some exceptionally ignorant comments.

Forgive me for not buying that a self-described libertarian with views on gun control/Islam/Isreal that are completely at odds with what traditional liberals believe is a liberal

Kusagari

Milo was brought down because he crossed the one line that basically nobody, with any legitimacy, on either side will endorse.

Outside of literally endorsing pedophilia the only other way a right wing provocateur will be brought down is if they break the lockstep illusion like Tomi.

You're probably right.

I disagree with Coulter's views and find them stupid in my opinion, however shutting her down from speaking publicly will help what exactly?

How many people are going to continue saying the same bs over and over without reading the article.
Coulter was scheduled to give a speech at the university on April 27, but the university canceled it Wednesday, citing security concerns. In recent months, the campus has been the site of several political protests, some turning violent.

Though the school reversed its decision and extended a new invitation for Coulter to speak on campus on May 2, she rejected the offer. Instead, she has vowed to speak in Berkeley on the original date and is accusing the university of trying to restrict her rights to free speech.

I hope they let Coulter speak on the original date and I also hope people protest her that is what free speech is. She is allowed to speak and people are allowed to protest her speaking.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Ok see, I can understand that argument. And it's the students right to say this is not what I want my tuition going to. But just on the principle of not wanting someone to speak because you don't like them, well I don't agree with that.

That's the thing about the internet these days. Even if YouTube cracked down on certain types of speech there is nothing keeping you from recording your videos and hosting them on some FTP server you link from a blog. The ability for any person to be silenced, outside of literal incarceration, does not exist. And the popularity of hate speech on YouTube and other platforms means that its absolutely able to attract the audience looking for that. No-one can be silenced anymore.

In that context I think we have the absolute right to decide which platforms we do and don't choose to actively provide certain people

rofl.

once again, good old fake moderate gaf is more concerned with bigots who yell out intolerant rhetoric under the name "free speech" than they are about people who's lives are ruined by it.

if we were in the late 80s, you'd probably apologize for david duke, too. hell, you'd probably apologize for him now.

"I mean, I don't agree with anything he says about black people, but gosh, I sure have a problem with these liberals who keep trying to stop him from speaking. Why don't they just sit him down, offer him a coke, and explain to him why they deserve to be treated like human beings?"

entremet

The irony is by "shutting her down" from speaking, you give Ann Coulter more attention then if she just went and spoke unobstructed.
Im for her speaking there and think she's vile, but it's funny how easily the College Republicans are playing the protesters with these trap cards.

BajiBoxer

Banned
You're probably right.

I disagree with Coulter's views and find them stupid in my opinion, however shutting her down from speaking publicly will help what exactly?
It would be not giving her a room/safe space for her speaking engagement. She can speak publically as much as she wants. In fact, she does. Constantly.

You're talking about a goofy right wing provocateur. Her biggest "crime" is saying insultingly stupid things on television.

What's actually stunning is you saying a member here is advocating for her murder.

bionic77

I don't support violence but it's not goofy or funny to a lot of people now that the world is gone full fascist.

I didn't ask for Coulter to be tied and for all of the Tolerant Left to throw stones at her. I said a rock. You can even throw a small rock if you want to be cautious. It would probably hurt less than a punch, which we all cheer for.

a) I'm not equating her to being a Nazi

b) people listen to her hate speech and racism.

c) she deserves no platform

d) murderous rhetoric where exactly?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
If Coulter cannot speak at this event she has not been silenced. This is not an opportunity for her to reach people who would otherwise be unable to find her work. Her work is accessible. To anyone. At any time

rjinaz

So, if I don't agree with a speaker, though many people do, I must go there, protest and risk some kind of riot? Can't I just respect them?

The content of her speech is not the issue here, if you consider all she says is bigotry that's another problem.
We're talking about her right to go to a campus and talk to people who want to listen to her, nobody is being forced to do so.

Not being ok with hate speech and bigotry is not a problem. Also she has no right to talk at a campus. Where is that in the constitution? Show me.

entremet

If Coulter cannot speak at this event she has not been silenced. This is not an opportunity for her to reach people who would otherwise be unable to find her work. Her work is accessible. To anyone. At any time
That's fine, but why can't she speak at a public university?

Poor argument given that most college speakers have written materials.

rofl.

once again, good old fake moderate gaf is more concerned with bigots who yell out intolerant rhetoric under the name "free speech" than they are about people who's lives are ruined by it.

if we were in the late 80s, you'd probably apologize for david duke, too. hell, you'd probably apologize for him now.

"I mean, I don't agree with anything he says about black people, but gosh, I sure have a problem with these liberals who keep trying to stop him from speaking. Why don't they just sit him down, offer him a coke, and explain to him why they deserve to be treated like human beings?"

At this point, as far right as the American right is today, what prominent conservative figure would GAF say IS allowed to speak in public places?

These people are in power now. We're not going to get it back by punching every scum of the earth in the face, it's not gonna happen, sorry. Someone has to engage them at some point.

Chumley

Banned
I didn't ask for Coulter to be tied and for all of the Tolerant Left to throw stones at her. I said a rock. You can even throw a small rock if you want to be cautious. It would probably hurt less than a punch, which we all cheer for.

We cheer for punching a woman? News to me.

Listen, she's terrible and has said the disabled should be killed off because they're a drain on resources. I hate her. But a liberal punching her in the face would make liberals look fucking awful, if you can't see that I don't know what to tell you.

Klocker

Maher has had a hard on for the political correctness on college campuses for about 5 years now.

it seems he's disgusted with how his comedy comes across as offensive to people on campuses and he sees it as an infringement on free speech.

he's been saying this for 5 years so it really is no surprise to me.

I agree with much of what he says but on this count I have always disagreed with him.

free speech is important but he is taking it to excess right now and living in his own little bubble.

At this point, as far right as the American right is today, what prominent conservative figure would GAF say IS allowed to speak in public places?

These people are in power now. We're not going to get it back by punching every scum of the earth in the face, it's not gonna happen, sorry. Someone has to engage them at some point.
And again, talking doesn't work. You'll be the better person, but the powers that be will still snuff you out.

We're all fucked is what I'm saying.

Previous

check out my new Swatch
Recent Bill Maher threads are some of the most polarizing threads I've ever seen on gaf.

Everyone should have a chance to voice there opinion, even a tool like Ann Coulter. Let her talk and make an idiot out of herself.

Socreges

Banned
She's allowed on campus and can stand on a bucket like all the other speakers.
Right. Or is this not true? A university, I'd imagine, should have the right to choose not to give a stage to an intolerant bigot. But suppressing her from speaking in a square, conversely, would actually be censorship.

TaterTots

Banned
Bill Maher has stated several times he is friends with her. Even Sean Hannity on his radio program said Maher is great for America because he believes in free speech.

oh its a WaPo piece. Don't believe I will be taking them seriously after they twisted a story about a raffle with a AR-15 story earlier.

The Kree

Banned
Recent Bill Maher threads are some of the most polarizing threads I've ever seen on gaf.

Everyone should have a chance to voice there opinion, even a tool like Ann Coulter. Let her talk and make an idiot out of herself.

What makes you think Ann Coulter is short on opportunities to speak?

And again, talking doesn't work. You'll be the better person, but the powers that be will still snuff you out.

We're all fucked is what I'm saying.

It's not about "being the better person" in the least.

There's a literal neo-Nazi in the White House who has direct access to the presidents ear at all times now.

At some point, their rhetoric has to be countered, and not with violence.

Yes, because the literal thousands of hours of televised appearances making her a household name so far have let her make an idiot out of herself.

Maher has had a hard on for the political correctness on college campuses for about 5 years now.

it seems he's disgusted with how his comedy comes across as offensive to people on campuses and he sees it as an infringement on free speech.

he's been saying this for 5 years so it really is no surprise to me.

I agree with much of what he says but on this count I have always disagreed with him.

free speech is important but he is taking it to excess right now and living in his own little bubble.

If a college educated student can't endure his views/beliefs from being challenged by a speaker, then we're worst off then I imagined and our collegiate education system has failed us.

rjinaz

I wonder if the Jews that died in camps would say the same thing? Hilter was just a man with a hate message at one point. I may be taking it to the extreme, but hate speech is not just an opinion man.

They want to invite Paul Ryan, fine. I hate the guy but he's not going to go up there and spew hate speech.

In the end I think it should be up to the universities who they want invited but students have their right to protest.

We cheer for punching a woman? News to me.

Listen, she's terrible and has said the disabled should be killed off because they're a drain on resources. I hate her. But a liberal punching her in the face would make liberals look fucking awful, if you can't see that I don't know what to tell you.
No, but considering we have threads mocking dumbass voters regretting voting Trump, I wouldn't be surprised if people laughed at Coulter getting punched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom