• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ann Coulter finds likely BFF/life partner in free-speech spat w/ Berkeley: Bill Maher

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm from Berkeley and I'm against her speaking here because it's honestly just going to result in property damage and people getting hurt. Nobody is going to convince the other side of anything; anybody coming would be there for the spectacle. The school has a responsibility to its students to prevent this from happening.

While I would agree that a school shouldn't invite somebody to the school that has a high chance to incite violence, isn't the larger issue that violence is breaking out because one side doesn't want to allow a person to express their opinions? This is especially true whenever the invitation is extended through a student organization, because then you can't use the valid excuse that the university is promoting the views of the person being invited.

~Kinggi~

Banned
For whatever reason they have been friends for years, despite the fact almost every time she is on his show he calls out her crazy. I remember the time before the election where she was like 'Trump is 100T% gonna win' he was looking at her like she was some poor woman in a mental institution. Turned out she was right. She is batshit though still, just seems to predict the other crazies really well.

fantomena

Including the right to protest, yes.

I don't think anyone is saying otherwise? Sheshould be able to speak there and people should be able to protest.

For whatever reason they have been friends for years, despite the fact almost every time she is on his show he calls out her crazy. I remember the time before the election where she was like 'Trump is 100T% gonna win' he was looking at her like she was some poor woman in a mental institution. Turned out she was right. She is batshit though still, just seems to predict the other crazies really well.

She also said she was hoping Hillary would win the Dem ticket cause she was afraid Bernie would be harder to beat. Could obviously have been reversed psychology or whatever it's called (currently don't rememebr the name for it).

shoelacer

Banned
And nothing should be stopping her from speaking at a public university. Free speech is protected there.

No one is restricting what she has to say. The people in charge of the venue she wants to use have no obligation to provide her a platform, and have no reason to provide one considering it's acting against their own best interests.

And nothing should be stopping her from speaking at a public university. Free speech is protected there.

Berkeley cancelled, and then extended another invitation for a different date, of which she declined.

So, if she doesn't spew her filth at the University, it will be because of her own pathetic self.

The worst thing about this is I have to hear my conservative friends tell me all about this, like the actions of one "labeled" liberal represents us all.

Tarydax

Banned
free_speech.png

boiled goose

good with gravy
Bill Maher makes fun of religions which is good, but he also happens to not be very bright

I don't understand how you can like someone as hateful as Coulter as a person. She's an outright white supremacist

Read up on what they would have to prove if she sued over that. It is very hard for the university to win that if it came down to it.

If they believe there would be more violence because of it (and it's happened a couple of times now), I think they might have a chance.

boiled goose

good with gravy
It literally is. Educate yourself.

This has nothing to do with protest. You clearly don't even understand the basic facts of this situation.

If this is the level of knowledge people are coming to this discussion with, I'll have it elsewhere.

Eh, free speech does not guarantee you a podium.

Slayven

Berkeley cancelled, and then extended another invitation for a different date, of which she declined.

So, if she doesn't spew her filth at the University, it will be because of her own pathetic self.

Read up on what they would have to prove if she sued over that. It is very hard for the university to win that if it came down to it.

Doesn't look like it if they offered her another time.

Slayven

It literally is. Educate yourself.

This has nothing to do with protest. You clearly don't even understand the basic facts of this situation.

If this is the level of knowledge people are coming to this discussion with, I'll have it elsewhere.

Always the case when you point out the holes in a bullshit arguement they always take their ball and run home. Only thing left is to say how terrible Gaf is

They can't just believe it. That's the hard part. There's a high standard of proof with that concern that is hard to meet.

Didn't one of Milo's supporters shoot somebody at one of these things?

Richard Spencer, David Duke and Ann Coulter are human waste. If they bring fire with their overtly racist filth, they better expect resistance from people who dont want to hear it whether in the form of street protests or pressuring institutions.

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
Does anyone actually have a primer on free speech laws as applied to public universities they could recommend? These threads pop up all the time - could be useful.

Slayven

Richard Spencer, David Duke and Ann Coulter are human waste. If they bring fire with their overtly racist filth, they better expect resistance from people who dont want to hear it whether in the form of street protests or pressuring institutions.

You funny how these folks only invite the right that says crazy shit? No one that actually talks policy or economics

They can't just believe it. That's the hard part. There's a high standard of proof with that concern that is hard to meet.
Just a few months ago, there was an incident during the scheduled Milo talk. Last week, while not on UC Berkeley's campus, there was an incident between Antifa and neo-nazis. I'm not a lawyer, but that would have to count for something ,right?

You funny how these folks only invite the right that says crazy shit? No one that actually talks policy or economics

Yep. The entire point is that they're invited to make chaotic situations happen. The Right wants another reason to hate on "the left".

Some shit will pop off, and people who claim to be concerned about "violence" will wring their hands and whine and moan about how unacceptable it is without discussing the vile rhetoric that was the cause of it happening. If it's acknowledged at all, they'll make a stupid point about "free speech", and go right back to their bullshit.

If I can understand the playbook, Maher does too, but as I've learned over the past year or so, Bill Maher isn't shit, and neither are most "liberals".

Bill Maher makes fun of religions which is good, but he also happens to not be very bright

I don't understand how you can like someone as hateful as Coulter as a person. She's an outright white supremacist

Maybe neither of them really give a shit about personal politics and this is all just a racket (the tv shows, books, speaking appearences etc).

RPGCrazied

The same guy that went soft with Milo? Yeah, Maher is starting to show his true colors. I did like his anti Trump message, but lately its going to far for me with defending people like these two.

Where does it say he likes Coulter? Where is that parallel being drawn? Seems to me he's just a staunch advocate of the right to free speech, opposing viewpoints and the right for, while often stupid, challenging opinions to be made on campus.

Edit: Ah ok, so they are actual friends? Like they spend time with each other, have a warm relationship? Sounds like people know stuff I don't.

The best debaters and most charismatic people have the cognitive complexity to take in all view points so they better understand the opposition, how to talk to the people and alter opinion etc. They don't tell someone to shut up because they disagree with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom