• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris R

Honestly, I can't wait :lol I wasn't really even planning on grabbing the game not too long ago. I know in my heart I'll love it, because, really, I haven't really ever played a bad FF game.

Only thing that sucks is right now Amazon says my order (PS3 game + Limited Edition guide) won't even ship until the 15th, and I'm to expect delivery around the 26th :lol

Mareg

I just want to say, this might actually be the game that makes me go back to console gaming.
I've yet to acknowledge the current console generation. My PS3 as always been an upscaling dvd / part time blu-ray player. I come from as far as Atari days. It is the first generation of console gaming that I haven't embraced upon its release. Now is the time to amend for my sins.
Comfy couch, here I cometh !!!!!!!!!

Release date delivery from Amazon for me here. I even used my free trial of Prime on this.

If you post in this thread, duckroll will ban you. He might not ban you today, he might not ban you tomorrow, but some day eventually if you keep posting you will be banned.

Please make mine a temporary one. I like it here. I'm such a nice guy. Please? :lol

Chris R

DigitalDevil said:
this!!!! Can't wait!
Damn you and everyone else who can get release day shipping!!! I'd pick it up locally to be able to play it on Tuesday, but I have so much credit at Amazon I only pay 8$ total including the guide :( Plus then I get the bonus 10$ credit for the next game I'll buy so I guess I can wait the two weeks or whatever BS Amazon is spouting now :(

Himuro said:
They'll never get rid of their focus on presentation.

But what they probably WILL do is make the games less cinematic because that's where the real money sink comes in: voice actors, animators for in game cutscenes and fmv, fmv in general;etc. They'll probably still be technically impressive but just not employ an emphasis on high budget cinematics.
Honestly, that'd probably be a good thing. But I know Square has an irrational love for FMV.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Btw Kagari, maybe it would be interesting to put a link on the OP for the GAF post-game impressions thread of the Japanese release, there are some nice write-ups there.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Should probably take the Team Xbox review out of the OP considering it's down. And for good reason: posting a review while admitting you haven't played the third CD is a little foolish.

And for those surprised at the EDGE score, keep in mind they gave FFX a 6 out of 10. And they gave FFXII a 9 out of 10 I believe. As I said in the comparison thread it seems like this will break down into two groups of people:

- Those who have no issue with the game being linear and probably loved FFX. (I'm in this category.)
- Those who hate linearity and probably loved FFXII.

Neither group is wrong or right of course. The game being linear was a specific design choice and it comes down to whether or not you want a very linear RPG.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
omg rite said:
- Those who have no issue with the game being linear and probably loved FFX. (I'm in this category.)
I'm definitely in the second group.. but we shall see....

rhfb said:
Honestly, I can't wait :lol I wasn't really even planning on grabbing the game not too long ago. I know in my heart I'll love it, because, really, I haven't really ever played a bad FF game.

Only thing that sucks is right now Amazon says my order (PS3 game + Limited Edition guide) won't even ship until the 15th, and I'm to expect delivery around the 26th :lol
Pay the extra shipping and update the shipping to one day delivery. You should have it by the 16th.

omg rite said:
Should probably take the Team Xbox review out of the OP considering it's down. And for good reason: posting a review while admitting you haven't played the third CD is a little foolish.

And for those surprised at the EDGE score, keep in mind they gave FFX a 6 out of 10. And they gave FFXII a 9 out of 10 I believe. As I said in the comparison thread it seems like this will break down into two groups of people:

Neither group is wrong or right of course. The game being linear was a specific design choice and it comes down to whether or not you want a very linear RPG.

FFX remains my favorite in the series, closely trailed by several others. I hope this means FFXIII will cause me to cum many buckets. :lol

Cep

Banned
omg rite said:

- Those who hate linearity and probably loved FFXII

Erm, not much grounds for this assertion.

I may dislike X, but that thing was fantastically paced, and the linearity was not an issue. FF13 'issues'(If you believe them to exist) is of a slightly different sort.

Not that I care how the argument goes one way or another, just thought that this part of you post was not completely true.

Chris R

Darkmakaimura said:
Pay the extra shipping and update the shipping to one day delivery. You should have it by the 16th.
Nah, I don't feel like paying 40$ for shipping. I can wait, I just have to keep telling myself I can wait. I have plenty of other games to enjoy...

rhfb said:
Nah, I don't feel like paying 40$ for shipping. I can wait, I just have to keep telling myself I can wait. I have plenty of other games to enjoy...
$40!? I usually pay about, at most, $10 for 1 day shipping. I think it's usually more like $8.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Cep said:

I may dislike X, but that thing was fantastically paced, and the linearity was not an issue. FF13 'issues'(If you believe them to exist) is of a slightly different sort.

Not that I care how the argument goes one way or another, just thought that this part of you post was not completely true.

Obviously that won't be the case with everyone. It's just what I've seen a lot of.

wonkafest

Himuro said:
But they can no longer continue forking over cash to make it when these games cost so much these days.
Also if they want to continue doing multiplats this gen, they need to take space limitations into account.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Has anyone watched the GameTrailers review? Is it spoiler-free? I don't want to watch it if it's going to show me lots of stuff near the end of the game.

Chris R

Darkmakaimura said:
$40!? I usually pay about, at most, $10 for 1 day shipping. I think it's usually more like $8.
Alaska :( I'm used to it. Amazon is even taunting me by offering me a trial for Prime again, even though it doesn't work for people in Alaska :(

I'll just have to dip out of anything FFXIII related after people start getting the game and not jump back in until I finish the game :lol

Dresden

omg rite said:
Has anyone watched the GameTrailers review? Is it spoiler-free? I don't want to watch it if it's going to show me lots of stuff near the end of the game.
From what I hear, it's just a random bunch of clips. Didn't watch it myself.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
omg rite said:
The game isn't even a week away, just wait man. :lol

Now that I've preordered it, I kinda can't wait to play it even though I've had extremely mild reception to this game since first learning of it.

wonkafest

omg rite said:
I'm not risking it either.

Cep

Banned
omg rite said:

It is safe.

Cerberus

omg rite said:

I've seen it 3 times and I have no clue what's going on or what will happen in the story. And there were more clips of gameplay rather than cutscenes.

Cep said:

I think FF X was really great despite being completely linear. I really didn't like that aspect, but I love the combat and other systems in the game, as well as the graphics and music. If XIII is a repeat, I'm all for it.

Cep

Banned
DownLikeBCPowder said:
I think FF X was really great despite being completely linear. I really didn't like that aspect, but I love the combat and other systems in the game, as well as the graphics and music. If XIII is a repeat, I'm all for it.

Objectively, I think the game was good because of that. Very little filler in the way the game progressed, very well paced. And that was possible because of the way they plotted the game out (not to mention that it made sense, seeing as the game was about a pilgrimage).

Only way that aspect could have been improved is if there were no RB.

Cep said:
Objectively, I think the game was good because of that. Very little filler in the way the game progressed, very well paced. And that was possible because of the way they plotted the game out (not to mention that it made sense, seeing as the game was about a pilgrimage).

Only way that aspect could have been improved is if there were no RB.

Well, I think we do disagree, but I see your point as you see it.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Cep said:
It is safe.

I just want to make sure they didn't stupidly throw in clips from the final dungeon or something. :lol

Has anyone watched it who played the Japanese version?

Himuro said:
But they can no longer continue forking over cash to make it when these games cost so much these days.
It depends on whether it takes in enough revenue to make up for that, I suppose. And they could just use the monstrous success of DQ on handhelds to keep subsidizing these graphics whore enterprises, if they wanted to. I dunno why they'd do that, but it's Wada, who knows what he's thinking?

Vanille

omg rite said:
I just want to make sure they didn't stupidly throw in clips from the final dungeon or something. :lol

There's a massive boss spoiler.

dramatis

omg rite said:

No clips from the final dungeon. There is a clip from a boss fight that might be spoilerish if you are looking closely, but otherwise it's clear. If you want to check it out but want to be extremely safe, then just turn it on and flip to another tab to avoid watching the scenes but still hear the audio.

I find it sort of amusing how they used a lot of Vanille clips, almost in a derogatory fashion. All of the lines they picked for the review are terrible. No spoilers there either.

Cep

Banned
Vanille said:
There's a massive boss spoiler.

Yeah, but it would not have made a difference if you did not say that.

Not a very prominent design, could have passed as a normal boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom