• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

T.J. Miller Exiting HBO's 'Silicon Valley'

Dalek

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/tj-miller-exiting-hbos-silicon-valley-1007767

T.J. Miller is leaving Silicon Valley.

The actor best known for his portrayal of blowhard entrepreneur Erlich Bachman on the HBO comedy will not be back for the upcoming fifth season. HBO confirmed Miller's exit on Thursday.

"The producers of Silicon Valley and T.J. Miller have mutually agreed that T.J. will not return for season 5," the pay cable network said in a statement. "In Erlich Bachman, T.J. has brought to life an unforgettable character, and while his presence on the show will be missed, we appreciate his contribution and look forward to future collaborations."

News of Miller's departure comes mere hours after HBO renewed the tech-spoofing comedy for another season and halfway through the show's fourth season run. Created by Mike Judge and Alec Berg, the series been a critical hit since its debut in 2014, winning two Emmy awards along the way.

Miller's film schedule has since remained hectic. He is currently making the press rounds for The Emoji Movie, which is set to bow in theaters in July, even parasailing into the Cannes Film Festival last week to promote it. Also in the queue for the actor is Steven Spielberg's Ready Player One adaptation, Western film Walden, Kristen Stewart thriller Underwater and How to Train Your Dragon 3.

The comedian's first standup special with the premium cable network, Meticulously Ridiculous, will premiere on all of HBO's platforms on June 17. There's also a chance, sources say, that Miller may return to Pete Holmes' comedy Crashing in season two.

Nanjiani, who plays Dinesh in the comedy, tweeted about his co-star's departure from Silicon Valley, calling Miller "the funniest guy I've ever met" and adding that he was "thrilled to work [with] him for [four] years."

SoulUnison

Banned
I gotta be honest: I love Silicon Valley and Urlich is the one character I absolutely cannot stand.

So... This is pretty cool.

It's maddening seeing such a horrible person and terrible friend constantly somehow vindicated by the plot.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
You know what would be better? If they actually did something with the story, brought it to a conclusion, and ended the show instead of renewing it and slowly bleeding talent as costs creep up and interests go down

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I dont think his character is as critical but I'll miss his stoner bro sage advice. Definitely will knock the show down a peg for me.

Pein

Banned
damn, he was the funniest one on the show too. The trial scene and the kids with fake adderall were hilarious.

Quitting Silicon Valley to do more flu medicine commercials and star in the Emoji Movie

This man's career makes little sense to me

But yes, this is going to really hurt the show for me. He's not the only good character in it, but damn if he isn't going to leave a gaping hole in the cast.

Arc

Weird, I was just thinking about how he was getting kind of famous which could spell trouble for the show.

Its a bummer for sure, but the show's writers will figure something out.

SoulUnison

Banned
damn, he was the funniest one on the show too. The trial scene and the kids with fake adderall were hilarious.

The trial scene was my point-of-no-return for writing him off as any sort of redeemable human being.
He literally cost his friends and co-workers everything because he couldn't handle not having his ego stroked for literally 5 minutes, even knowing that's what he was getting into well in advance.

He's a person that will ruin the livelihoods of his closest friends just so he can feel like the biggest name in a room full of people he'll mostly never see again 10 minutes later.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
You know what would be better? If they actually did something with the story, brought it to a conclusion, and ended the show instead of renewing it and slowly bleeding talent as costs creep up and interests go down

I was kinda hoping season 5 would be this, but it appears talent is leaving before that.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Now who will Jain Yang fuck with? The incubator itself is a character where a lot of the power dynamics were played with. I agree with the opinion that this show should be working towards a conclusion.

HotHamBoy

As someone who loves TJ and the entire main cast of SV, well, good luck.

I stopped watching the show halfway through Season 2.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Am I the only one that found him a bit annoying? Loss for the show, but it's not like he was the critical piece to me.

SeanC

He had some great moments and lines but I don't know where that character can go anymore, he doesn't learn or grow and keeps doing the same thing each season.

he was a fantastic character, but the show can survive without him. The rest of the main cast still has great personalities and funny characters, and they could always make one of the other wackier characters become more prominent. If not introduce a new one outright.

Shame to see him go though.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
He had some great moments and lines but I don't know where that character can go anymore, he doesn't learn or grow and keeps doing the same thing each season.
Yeah, but that's the case with every character

Top Bottom