• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 leaking white stuff as well? (Pics inside)

pompidu

The fact that it is clearly on the outside of the ps4 and not just near vents means its coming from the air. The combination of the humidifier vicks crap and hardwater has caused this issue. This isn't from any factory process.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I expect to see IGN running a story on this next week, followed by a million comments with different fanboys battling it out.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I used that Vicks crap and saw no white crap on my stuff. It probably is coming from the systems.

Yeah, I bet that the PS4 is propelling that white shit out at such a velocity that it entirely covers the air humidifier in the room as well.

Only logical explanation.

Threi

notag
Have a little bit of it on my PS4 as well:

IMG_20140101_131832.jpg

most likely residue from washing during assembly.

lmao @ people saying it's from vick's vaperub in humidifiers (or even that using it in humidifiers is a bad thing)...cmon guys.

neptunes

Why would the Vick's only stick on the PS4 and not any other piece of electronics in the same room? (TV, Laptop, etc...)

Hoo-doo

Banned
Have a little bit of it on my PS4 as well:

most likely residue from washing during assembly.

lmao @ people saying it's from vick's vaperub in humidifiers (or even that using it in humidifiers is a bad thing)...cmon guys.

Then how do you explain the humidifier being caked with the stuff? The plot thickens.

I think your residue (the stuff on the inside of the cover) is indeed from the washing process, but the caked on garbage at the vents is surely an issue with the taken in air.

Atomsky

Banned
This thread brings back memories. Whenever I was sick as a little kid my grandma would tell me to rub this stuff on my upper chest (my "pecho"). I remember the smell well, and combined with a humidifier in the room and a damp towel on my forehead, it puts modern medicine to shame.

2-Elizabeth_Fave_01.13.09_VICKS.jpg

Grandma medicine is best medicine.

Did she sing "Soft Kitty"? :D

Clockwork

This happens with many humidifiers depending on the hardness of the water. It can leave a white residue and/or fine dust on just about anything.

How do I know this? Personal experience and Google.

(this is with or without Vicks)

ThirdMartini

Neo Member
Why would the Vick's only stick on the PS4 and not any other piece of electronics in the same room? (TV, Laptop, etc...)

Because the vicks + water vapor is being sucked in at ambient room temperature.. running through a hot heat sink causing the water to evaporate and the suspended particulates to be deposited on the surfaces the hot air passes over.

Could also be as some people pointed out residue from the PCB wash during manufacturing. But then we would be seeing a much higher incidence of it.

I highly doubt it's coming from any electrical or cooling component of the system, as the amount of deposited material would imply blown components and the PS4/Xbox one would no longer be operating.

Something to test for: if it's hard water... you should scrape off the white material put it in a glass with a tiny bit of vinegar. And see if it bubbles? If it bubbles, it most certainly is hard water.

Epcott

My goodness, I hope 8-4 and Giantbomb read these "white goo" treads. Should make for entertaining podcasts when they return.

R3TRODYCE

Your PS4 doesn't sound like it's running good. It shouldn't be hard locking (unless you are playing bf4) or be loud.

The Live from Playstation app makes it hard lock for some reason (no games make it so far) and Trine 2 and KZSF makes the fans get loud for some reason.

Yukiari

You're right, from the manual.

About White Dust
Use of high-mineral-content water will cause a white mineral residue to accumulate on room
surfaces near the humidifier. The mineral residue is commonly called “white dust”. The higher the
mineral content (the harder your water is), the greater the potential for white dust. The white dust
is not caused by a defect in the humidifier, but is due only to minerals suspended in the water

Tenki

WTF. I'm planning to buy a PS4 when MGS and inFamous arrive, but now I don't know if I should wait a bit more. I don't want secret sauce in my console lol

LOLCats

Banned
This looks like stuff that some air humidifiers spit out, it's extra visible on black things.

This! I had one of those Vicks humidifiers. First noticed white stuff on black electronics. Then stopped using humidifier.

One of these.

Vicks-V400-Filter.jpg

LDAF

I thought I knew GAF pretty well, but fapping over your brand new consoles seems like a bit much...

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
WTF. I'm planning to buy a PS4 when MGS and inFamous arrive, but now I don't know if I should wait a bit more. I don't want secret sauce in my console lol

I don't think the sauce even hurts the system, so you should be good.

Top Bottom