• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Defenders |OT| Featuring The Worst Iron Fist - August 18th on Netflix

Shredderi

If nothing else, the show hammered in how much better DareDevil is at fighting compared to pretty much everyone else, friend or foe.

cLOUDo

Nope.

Here, I'll give you the TL;DW for Iron Fist.

The Hand has Danny's family killed.

He becomes the Iron Fist.

Everyone in K'un-Lun is killed because he abandoned it.

To help fight the Hand he becomes friends with a Hand member who doesn't know they're evil. Now they're a couple.

Just saved you 13 hours.

That sounds interesting xD

Alucard

Banned
Colleen Wing makes Iron First worth at least one viewing IMO. Her story and the twist are pretty cool. And she looks great with a sword and gets a lot of screen time.

Shredderi

All in all I did like it. I liked it A LOT more than Iron Fist or Luke Cage second half. DD was usually the best part of it for me. The one problem I had with it was how I didn't buy the group's initial hesitation for teaming up
WE'RE NOT A TEAM
. Felt a bit forced in order to make it seem like there's more of an arc to their teaming up.

Oh yeah also The Hand was never intimidating enough. Madame Gao was good. She's the only one with that kind of larger than life mystical aura to her. Aside from her their omnipotential organization felt like a gang. They honestly didn't feel any more powerful than Kingpin and his mafia.

Sojgat

Colleen Wing makes Iron First worth at least one viewing IMO. Her story and the twist are pretty cool. And she looks great with a sword and gets a lot of screen time.

Season 2 of Iron Fist should be mainly Daughters of the Dragon focused. Just leave Danny in the background chasing butterflies and swatting at balls of yarn.

Ronin Ray

I do not understand Luke Cage's invulnerability in this show. One day he can block bullets, the next day a kick to the face knocks him out.

What's more confusing is Jessica Jones power. She is stronger then Luke but when she fights you would never know it.

OmegaFax

She is? Where was this stated again or shown, been far too long since I watched JJ

Her powers were wildly inconsistent in JJ. There are some episodes where she comes off as stronger than other episodes. I kind of want to say the same thing for Luke Cage and Iron Fist. Their powers are adjusted to match what's needed for the plot.

RedAssedApe

Banned
She is? Where was this stated again or shown, been far too long since I watched JJ

i think people are probably assuming this based on comics. in the show she does have the fast healing and jumping ability though.

although her, luke, and will (after combat enhancers) seemed about of equal match. against normal people she's probably holding back her strength.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Ep 2 was much better than 1

lol those cleaners though, they have acid but decide to go against iron fist with just their hands?

Misty still the best mcu lady

Ronin Ray

But they'll melt dead bodies without a seconds thought?

I mean there's a huge difference between melting a dead body and murdering someone that's not even a question. There's a reason they pick kids that are in the worst economic places because they're desperate.

Lashley

I mean there's a huge difference between melting a dead body and murdering someone that's not even a question. There's a reason they pick kids that are in the worst economic places because they're desperate.

It still was a silly scene, why would Danny and Colleen even risk it? They never knew the cleaners were kids, and those cleaners could've very well been the hand who would've used that acid instantly

Ronin Ray

It still was a silly scene, why would Danny and Colleen even risk it? They never knew the cleaners were kids, and those cleaners could've very well been the hand who would've used that acid instantly

There is a lot of stupid shit in this show that doesn't make a lick of sense. That's a really small weird thing to get hung up on lol

Alucard

Banned
On episode 8. Really love how this becomes about
Matt and Elektra. Feels like they finally got the relationship right. It felt unearned in DD season 2, but it hit the right notes in this show.

Lashley

There is a lot of stupid shit in this show that doesn't make a lick of sense. That's a really small weird thing to get hung up on lol

I'd just seen the episode like a second before posting so it was fresh in my mind haha

Shame that the quality of netflix shows (Marvel in general with Inhumans) seems to have dropped :(

Milly79

I've never seen DD, LC, or IF, but plan on watching the first two eventually.

Iron Fist is lame af throughout the entire show.

And I'm really not sure about how I feel about it. It was okay, I guess. At least the pacing was much better than JJ.

LotusHD

Banned

And I'm really not sure about how I feel about it. It was okay, I guess. At least the pacing was much better than JJ.

You didn't watch DD at least before jumping into this? That's a new one lol

Malyse

That's the same as watching Avengers as your first Marvel movie, watching Serenity without Firefly, or watching Advent Children without al teast a let's play of FF7. AKA what's the point.

Alucard

Banned
Just finished the show. Loved most of it. There was a stretch in the second part of episode seven and most of episode eight that I tuned out because it wasn't doing much for me, but I thought they stuck the landing in the final minutes.

FInished ep 8
the defenders is a solid 9.2/10

The fights were great but not as detailled as they were in daredevil..but they made it up with some awesome characters moments from the entire cast

i especially liked the fact that they weren't any filler sub-plot.
so i got exactly what i wanted.
The way they tied the storyline to make the 4 met was quite neat

probably my second best marvel netflix show behind daredevil season 1

Cipher

That's the same as watching Avengers as your first Marvel movie, watching Serenity without Firefly, or watching Advent Children without al teast a let's play of FF7. AKA what's the point.

I watched Serenity without seeing Firefly.

I still haven't seen Firefly.

- J - D -

Ep6 finished. Finally, a plot development I was not expecting. Finally, some excitement that comes from the story, not the action.

I'll second the opinion that this show is really sloppy, and Danny is really grating, but I have to admit that despite those issues I still love every second when the team is together and doing their thing.

Alucard

Banned
Ep6 finished. Finally, a plot development I was not expecting. Finally, some excitement that comes from the story, not the action.

I'll second the opinion that this show is really sloppy, and Danny is really grating, but I have to admit that despite those issues I still love every second when the team is together and doing their thing.

Exactly. I'm just happy to see them hanging out and playing off each other. And shitting on Danny most of the time. :p

- J - D -

Exactly. I'm just happy to see them hanging out and playing off each other. And shitting on Danny most of the time. :p

The show kinda makes it too easy to shit on Danny. He's kind of a dumbass, which unfortunately carries over from Iron Fist. It's consistent, I guess.

I like that they show how valuable Daredevil is to the team.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So after two years of buildup, it sounds like DD S1 is still the only one most would agree is worth a damn. Shame at how this whole thing seemed to fizzle.

(I liked JJ a lot, but haven't seen anything else in the series since)

I've seen DD, LC, and IF, but not JJ. Is watching JJ necessary/recommmended before watching defenders?

Thanks

It's enjoyable on its own. JJ immediately followed DD1, so there is light cross-over there, plus the proper introduction of Luke Cage whom gets a good deal of screen time. Villain is pretty great, and the only real complaint is that the show stretches on for maybe a few episodes longer than needed.

RedAssedApe

Banned
So after two years of buildup, it sounds like DD S1 is still the only one most would agree is worth a damn. Shame at how this whole thing seemed to fizzle.

(I liked JJ a lot, but haven't seen anything else in the series since)

It's enjoyable on its own. JJ immediately followed DD1, so there is light cross-over there, plus the proper introduction of Luke Cage whom gets a good deal of screen time. Villain is pretty great, and the only real complaint is that the show stretches on for maybe a few episodes longer than needed.

Not really. The only one people have been super down on is ironfist. Just like with games gaf is often not representative of the larger audience.

AAK

Personally:

DDS2 pt 1 = DDS1 > DDS2 pt 2 > Defenders > IF > JJ

They're all a ton of fun though. I anticipate what's next. I too am in the camp that feels the Danny Rand hate is overdone now. He was annoying in the beginning of IF, but after the second half and now with Defenders done I like the role and character he brings to the universe.

Top Bottom