• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Defenders |OT| Featuring The Worst Iron Fist - August 18th on Netflix

JonnyKong

First two episodes down, I agree with the poster above calling them boring, but I guess I'll have to keep watching as I want to see them teaming up at least..

Edit: when I said poster above I meant somebody on the previous page 🤣

just got through epi 3

almost bailed out but had to finish dinner so put 3 on and am glad it's finally kind of interesting

Luke, DD, and JJ are adorbs (so far)

Qvoth

just finished all 8 episodes
wasn't as good as daredevil (especially season 1), but still better than iron fist
somewhere around the level of jessica jones and luke cage
wtzgU.gif

El Daniel

You know how some shows or movies just feel like a labour of love. That the creators are real fans and had a lot of fun making it and the show reflects it?

This show isn't it. But a show like this it should've been. It's just dull.

I think if they make another defenders series it should be a Netflix movie instead of a show. The individual characters can have shows but when they come together I'd rather have a tight movie than the TV show format.

Harmen

I think if they make another defenders series it should be a Netflix movie instead of a show. The individual characters can have shows but when they come together I'd rather have a tight movie than the TV show format.

This, or they should make a series with several acts, like all the solo shows have. Instead The Defenders feels like a 3 hour film stretched out over 8 episodes. And even for a film I feel it would've had too little extra information about the factions involved.

The solo shows would be better off as thightly written 8-10 episode series (though for DD1-2 and JJ I disagree the pacing was bad), but for this they should either make a thrilling assemble film or a more elaborate series properly using all the elements they have built up.

They couldn't even come up with a decent thumbnail for this?

6orVoec.png

I have no idea about the actual budget of this, but that tumbnail represents the series well. I actually watched some stuff of the previous shows to see if I misremembered but no, The Defenders comes off as cheap and bland in terms of looks.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Judging by most people's impressions it seems like Netflix dropped the ball

They didn't even try to catch it. Low effort from start to finish.

It's a notch above Iron Fist, but just because it's shorter and the episode lengths are closer to 40 minutes than 60.

8 episodes of characters telling you things, but the viewer not being shown anything. And conversations in dark warehouses and barely furnished concrete buildings, broken up by the occasional poorly lit quickly edited fight scene. CW shows look like they have more money put into them.

I liked it but it had its flaws. I really wanted a tighter focus. I thought everything in the police station was pointless and a waste of time. I don't need people telling Luke Cage to be careful every 5 minutes. OK he just got out of prison, we get it. Why are we still talking about it in the 6th episode?

Karen and Trish looking at the police evidence board and going, "Murders, wowzers!" Yeah the audience already knows that and the characters didn't do anything with the information.

The whole Colleen arc was Zzzzzz for me too.

Misty Knight and the police captain? Snooze. Could have trimmed a bunch of that up.

woolley

I think The Hand might be the worst villain in the whole MCU. They have lived for centuries doing evil things but come off as a bunch of inept children.

Finish it last night. Unfortunately, I'm echoing what has been already. Throughout most of it, I was just plain bored with the characters, action and the plot.

J_Viper

Finished the first episode and thought it was fine. Light on action, sure, but the characters worked well enough for me. Poor Danny and Colleen got stuck with the worst material though

What in the fuck was that opening fight scene lol

I think The Hand might be the worst villain in the whole MCU. They have lived for centuries doing evil things but come off as a bunch of inept children.

To be fair, things were going good for them until Alexandra started making moves trying to preserve her own life rather than advancing The Hand. Gao really should have just executed Alexandra once she started getting stupid. I suppose Bakuto was also doing his own separate stupid thing with Colleen.

Just managed to get through the pilot... Well, I'm out of the Netflixverse I think.

It certainly wasn't terribly bad or anything. Well shot, well acted. But it was a struggle to keep watching, just profoundly dull. And that's as much on me as on the actual show I guess. If this had come out right after DD season 2, my hype levels would have made me binge watch this entire season just like I did Luke Cage. But that one burned me so bad that I couldn't bring myself to care this time around.

Doctor Strange was the first movie that finally completely disconnected me from the MCU and now this. As a life-long superhero fan, it feels kinda weird to be passing up on Defenders, especially since DD is my favorite Marvel character. Oh well, more time to catch up with the actual comics now I guess. Time to resubscribe to Marvel Unlimited.

Took till the third episode for me to really start giving a shit. They should have just done stand-alone episodes for each of the four major characters, rather than trying to shoehorn in an appearance from each one every episode.

This was a terrible show. I think there were a total of like 3-4 fight scenes? All were total crap. Tons of fast camera and quick cuts. None of the fights pushed boundaries. Just cookie cutter fighting crap. The entire show as boring. Boring villain. Boring characters.

Honestly, DD and JJ are the only two good Netflix Marvel shows. The other 2 were crap. I hope Punisher doesn't disappoint.

What they seriously need to do is give everyone costumes so the stunt doubles can give us some serviceable fighting choreography. Also a better villain.

Bland, boring and mostly forgettable for me. There's nothing offensively awful about it outside of Finn Jones being absolute garbage as the Iron Fist. It's just sort of there.:/

What happened to the fight choreography in these shows? The first and second seasons of DD had some fantastic hand to hand fight scenes and it's just been falling off of a cliff with these shows ever since.

Finished yesterday, pretty average show, it never reaches the highs of DD but maybe either the lows? well... the final episode is pretty terrible tho. Whoever make coreographies and set pieces in DD, bring him/her here, Defenders seemed like they didn't have the budget to make cool stuff which is weird.

Also, I just noticed that the show is produced by director and producer of Buffy, no surprises considering the 90's style of battles.

Trouble

Banned
Somehow Iron Fist is actually more insufferable in this than the actual Iron Fist show.

Jessica Jones > Luke Cage > Daredevil >>>>>>>> Defenders > Iron Fist

E: (finale spoiler) Also lmao at
standing a hundred feet from a collapsing building with just a little dust

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Two episodes in....i dont think i cant go on - this is just too boring wow.
Maybe it should have just bee a 2 hours movie event ala Avenger....just too boring as of now, feels like they are just stretching as much as possible to fill the 9 episodes.

Kadayi

Banned
Finn Jones was a terrible choice for Iron Fist, and the show's writers have given him total garbage to work with. The entire thing is a mess.

To be fair to the actor, given the latter we can't be completely sure of the former. I mean jeez, they've so badly dropped the ball on the characterisation, it fills slightly wrong to put a lot of the blame on him. Danny Rand is a whiny petulant bitch because they wrote him that way.I can't see how changing the actor is going to miraculously change that dialogue.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Pretty entertaining through episode 5. I see complaints about it being slow/boring but I didn't feel that way. The first couple of episodes had to get you up to speed on what these characters have been up to since their respective seasons and navigate the plot so as to logically get them to cross paths. It worked well enough.

Iron fist fights got better. The general banter has been entertaining too.

Anung

Un Rama
I wasn't as hyped as when this was announced to begin with but damn word of mouth on this is just killing it for me. I'm struggling to even start this thing.

brawly

Just finished episode 6 and good god, could you imagine this going on for another 7 episodes?

This shit is so boring I might drop these shows for good.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I wasn't as hyped as when this was announced to begin with but damn word of mouth on this is just killing it for me. I'm struggling to even start this thing.

Eh. This isn't anywhere near as bad as some of these posts claim. The language some people are using make it seem like it's utter garbage. Not even close.

Edit: Lol at the two posts I'm sandwiched between.

On episode 5 at the moment, I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Maybe my opinion will change by the end but I can't quite understand all the commentary about being bored myself.

Disgraced

It's a weird show. I'm entertained.

Cox, Ritter, and Colter turn in performances too good for it.

The Hand was shitty in DD S2 and they're shitty here. Skipped Iron Fist, which seems to be the right choice.

jackdoe

This show is very, very sloppy. In episode 5 bad guys are jetting for no good reason, especially when they have the upper hand, just to clear up the clutter of a messily choreographed fight.

Top Bottom