• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Defenders |OT| Featuring The Worst Iron Fist - August 18th on Netflix

It's a weird show. I'm entertained.

Cox, Ritter, and Colter turn in performances too good for it.

The Hand was shitty in DD S2 and they're shitty here. Skipped Iron Fist, which seems to be the right choice.

Exactly my thoughts.

What happened to the bulky guy in DD Season 1 that was talking with Stick about Matt not being ready, I asume he was a member of the Chaste but it defenitely looked like a villain.

Kalor

Having finished it now, overall I think that it's okay. There were times where it felt like it dragged a bit or the fight scenes weren't that good but I enjoyed it overall. I actually liked the Hand here compared to their other appearances where they were just boring. After Iron Fist this has renewed some interest in the Marvel Netflix shows.

Alucard

Banned
Episode 3...LOL @
the boardroom fight. Laughed my ass off at Luke coming in and sending a guy flying into the wall. So damn good.

dbztrk

I thought the show was ok. Nothing special. It was way better than Iron Fist but that isn't saying much.

I will say however, that Iron Fist (character and actor) was somewhat redeemed for me. I thought Finn Jones did a better job acting wise and his fights scenes were infinitely better than when he was on Iron Fist. I think having the other characters basically say he sucks also was like a nod and wink to the fans that yeah we heard your grips about Iron Fist and we agree.

I think these shows need better show runners. I think Steven S. Deknight was fantastic on Daredevil and he should always helm Daredevil and he should take over as show runner on Iron Fist.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Episode 3...LOL @
the boardroom fight. Laughed my ass off at Luke coming in and sending a guy flying into the wall. So damn good.

Yo there was that one board member that had a smug look on his face the entire time Alexandra and Danny were talking 😏 Lol

Exactly my thoughts.

What happened to the bulky guy in DD Season 1 that was talking with Stick about Matt not being ready, I asume he was a member of the Chaste but it defenitely looked like a villain.

Not well versed in DD source material, but I think that was Stone. From Man Without Fear he doesn't seem to be a villain.

As for Defenders, I'm in the third episode and having a mixed time of it. The Luke, Matt, and Jessica stuff are ok to good, but the Iron Fist content is a mess. Choreography, editing, and shots are poor in all his scenes, though it doesn't improve much outside of then either.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Up to Episode 5. The character interactions are solid, and a big smile spread over my face when I finally saw Luke and Danny fighting side by side. Jessica is great at mocking everyone. I've always loved Charlie Cox's Daredevil, and I feel the same here.

But I'm just not connecting to the villain plot at all. I mean I am invested in Elektra's resurrection, but Sigourney Weaver's vague dialogue with Gao and every other Hand leader is just so meaningless. I get that Jess and Luke have to be introduced to them, but four episodes in and there is still no clue as to what the hell they're doing or what the threat is. For a villainous organization that we've had two separate seasons in two separate shows about, we should be passed this.

Additionally, they just wildly underutilize how Jessica is supposed to be. Luke is just bulldozing through dudes like he should, but Jess should be sending people flying too.

Finished it today; while it dragged a bit in some places overall it was a good watch. The only episode that I wish was improved a bit was #7, I was expect 7-8 to be a big conclusion, but 7 was just a bunch of build up (which didn't 100% pay off).

It's definitely not a bad show, if you like the Marvel stuff it is worth it.

There is no purpose is comparing anything to DD season 1, that had a unique set of conditions. It was the first one and everyone expected very little of it (coming off of low points of Agents of Shield), and it turned out better than expected so that gave it a great boost. On top of that, it spend most of the season showing DD as just a skilled human who didn't have limitless energy for fighting and half the time took as good as he gave. If all of the series was like that, it may have been different overall.

I feel like in Defenders,
Jessica is really not used to an advantage. Shes stronger than Luke Cage, but when he punches someone they go flying across the room, when she does it, they get back up half the time.

And what was up with the main Hand guys being so powerful and able to hurt Luke? The guy has bullets bounce off him and doesn't seem to mind. Iron Fist is a fighter who is certainly on the same level as any of the main Hand guys individually, and it showed clearly that unless he actually used his power, Luke didn't even flinch when Danny was unloading normal moves on him.

Alucard

Banned
Yo there was that one board member that had a smug look on his face the entire time Alexandra and Danny were talking 😏 Lol

The guy beside her on the right side of the camera? I noticed him too. Smug AF. LOL. I found the whole scene to be a lot of fun for different reasons.

pestul

I just watch episode 1 and yikes was that awful. I hope it gets A LOT better. My wife thought it was okay, but she's really kind to most properties.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Finished it today; while it dragged a bit in some places overall it was a good watch. The only episode that I wish was improved a bit was #7, I was expect 7-8 to be a big conclusion, but 7 was just a bunch of build up (which didn't 100% pay off).

It's definitely not a bad show, if you like the Marvel stuff it is worth it.

There is no purpose is comparing anything to DD season 1, that had a unique set of conditions. It was the first one and everyone expected very little of it (coming off of low points of Agents of Shield), and it turned out better than expected so that gave it a great boost. On top of that, it spend most of the season showing DD as just a skilled human who didn't have limitless energy for fighting and half the time took as good as he gave. If all of the series was like that, it may have been different overall.

I feel like in Defenders,
Jessica is really not used to an advantage. Shes stronger than Luke Cage, but when he punches someone they go flying across the room, when she does it, they get back up half the time.

And what was up with the main Hand guys being so powerful and able to hurt Luke? The guy has bullets bounce off him and doesn't seem to mind. Iron Fist is a fighter who is certainly on the same level as any of the main Hand guys individually, and it showed clearly that unless he actually used his power, Luke didn't even flinch when Danny was unloading normal moves on him.

Yeah it's jarring when she's lifting cars and shit. But you can explain it away as she's holding back so as not to accidentally kill normals.

Harmen

I don't think this is fair to the quality of DD. I have rewatched it recently and it is much better than this on many fronts, not just plot structure. Direction and visuals took a very notable hit in The Defenders in my opinion. Furthermore, DD1 is only 2 years old, from 2015, it is not like we did not have any solid action or even superhero series before that to set some standards.

I'm on episode 6 but I suspect I have had the best of it.

Background liked DD 1 and first of 2. Struggled with JJ. Not seen Iron Fist / LC.

I think the individual cast works well together carrying on the Marvel tradition of heroes more interesting than villians.

The Hand however are dull, inept and completely unintimidating. The bit where each of the fingers turns up at the Chinese restaurant in their individual minivans had me blinking hard.

Only Madame Gao (?) has anything about her; none of the others including Alexandra and Elecktra are at all interesting.

If your going to tackle supernatural forces you need careful direction and production values to back it up. What we have feels cheap and thrown together even with a reduced episode count. Sure its good that the budget is obviously going to the cast but there doesn't seem to be much left over for what is being promoted as 'event' tv.

Alucard

Banned
Also, I'm sure my opinion of this is almost strictly based on physicality and appearance, but
Elektra is so good in this series so far.

Just started episode five.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Also, I'm sure my opinion of this is almost strictly based on physicality and appearance, but
Elektra is so good in this series so far.

Just started episode five.

she doesn't say much in this one for obvious reasons but its nice when you have someone with a martial arts background

Up to Episode 5. The character interactions are solid, and a big smile spread over my face when I finally saw Luke and Danny fighting side by side. Jessica is great at mocking everyone. I've always loved Charlie Cox's Daredevil, and I feel the same here.

But I'm just not connecting to the villain plot at all. I mean I am invested in Elektra's resurrection, but Sigourney Weaver's vague dialogue with Gao and every other Hand leader is just so meaningless. I get that Jess and Luke have to be introduced to them, but four episodes in and there is still no clue as to what the hell they're doing or what the threat is. For a villainous organization that we've had two separate seasons in two separate shows about, we should be passed this.

Yeah, the villains/the hand is the negative I have with this show. Otherwise, I enjoyed the chemistry with Defenders and the character interactions so much.

Alucard

Banned
Yeah, the villains/the hand is the negative I have with this show. Otherwise, I enjoyed the chemistry with Defenders and the character interactions so much.

I'm having a blast with the heros' interactions in this show. I don't mind the Hand, but I wish
their motivations were clearer than "we want to live forever." I get why the Chaste want to kill them after casting them out, though. I suppose that would make the Hand want to be evil and find nefarious means for survival.

Q8D3vil

Just finished ep 5, and these are my impressions:
This show dumb and boring, it have zero charm and the action is generic most of the time.
DC shows are dumb and cheesy, but they are have an amazing charm to them despite working with shit budget. You can feel the love and passion of the creators behind them. This show and most Marvel nerflix shows (beside most of DD) are boring and lifeless.

Just finished
and what a lack luster ending. The final battle ended with what 20 mins left, so they spent it wrapping it up and getting everyone's emotional input on DD's sacrifice, and he's of course, not dead.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Just finished ep 5, and these are my impressions:
This show dumb and boring, it have zero charm and the action is generic most of the time.
DC shows are dumb and cheesy, but they are have an amazing charm to them despite working with shit budget. You can feel the love and passion of the creators behind them. This show and most Marvel nerflix shows (beside most of DD) are boring and lifeless.

not sure if serious post

BobLoblaw

Banned
Just finished it. I liked it. There was enough eye-rolling on screen so that I didn't have to. The ending was obvious and thank god they decided on 8 episodes and no more. To me, it's DD1, DD2 (1st half), JJ, LC (1st half), Defenders, DD2 (second half), and then LC (2nd half). Never watched Iron Fist and if the Defenders is any indication, I never will. The guy was horribly miscast and couldn't act his way out of a paper bag.

Ronin Ray

The hand is so wack and never seems like a threat besides gao. I don't understand why she is the only one with powers. She is the best of the bunch by a mile. I kept waiting for Sigourney Weaver to do something amazing and
nothing

Honestly Madame GAO should resurrect purple man and go get a powered up Diamondback and they would be 100 times better and more of a threat than the hand. She should also go resurrect
Grant ward
. That's a team I want to see The Defenders fight.

It's crazy how much better Agents of Shields has gotten than the Netflix shows and how their villains are so much better then the hand.

LotusHD

Banned
The hand is so wack and never seems like a threat besides gao. I don't understand why she is the only one with powers. She is the best of the bunch by a mile. I kept waiting for Sigourney Weaver to do something amazing and
nothing

Honestly Madame GAO should resurrect purple man and go get a powered up Diamondback and they would be 100 times better and more of a threat than the hand. She should also go resurrect
Grant ward
. That's a team I want to see The Defenders fight.

It's crazy how much better Agents of Shields has gotten than the Netflix shows and how their villains are so much better then the hand.

Yea, AoS has gotten a lot more consistent, especially with its last season.

LotusHD

Banned
Wait, Agents of Shield is actually good? Watched some eps when it started and it did zero for me. Like...absolute zero.

It is. First season was a little rough until the twist(Though my friend who binged the entire thing didn't seem to mind, so I guess it's a lot easier to get through as opposed to watching it weekly), then the seasons after that gets better/remains consistently solid, with Season 4 being the high bar that I would easily put over the Netflix shows.

Alucard

Banned
It is. First season was a little rough until the twist(Though my friend who binged the entire thing didn't seem to mind, so I guess it's a lot easier to get through as opposed to watching it weekly), then the seasons after that gets better/remains consistently solid, with Season 4 being the high bar that I would easily put over the Netflix shows.

Hmm, might check it out at some point. I've always loved the Defenders universe, and Daredevil in particular, so my love for these shows probably goes a little further than someone going in without knowledge of DD's history. Everything with Elektra (so far) in Defenders has been damn good and made me so happy, primarily the interactions with Matt.

Ronin Ray

Wait, Agents of Shield is actually good? Watched some eps when it started and it did zero for me. Like...absolute zero.

Season four is one of the best things marvel has done. The show moved to mini arcs which made the show so much better. It's like they thought they were going to get cancelled and gave no more fucks and went all out. Then on top of that they add the amazing Robbie Reyes who should have his own show and is an amazing ghost rider. Oh yeah it also has the best Cameo so far.

LotusHD

Banned
Hmm, might check it out at some point. I've always loved the Defenders universe, and Daredevil in particular, so my love for these shows probably goes a little further than someone going in without knowledge of DD's history. Everything with Elektra (so far) in Defenders has been damn good and made me so happy, primarily the interactions with Matt.

Yup, and AoS actually has interacted with the MCU, just saying ;D

Is necessary watch iron fist?

Nope.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Is necessary watch iron fist?

Nope.

Here, I'll give you the TL;DW for Iron Fist.

The Hand has Danny's family killed.

He becomes the Iron Fist.

Everyone in K'un-Lun is killed because he abandoned it.

To help fight the Hand he becomes friends with a Hand member who doesn't know they're evil. Now they're a couple.

Just saved you 13 hours.

brawly

I do not understand Luke Cage's invulnerability in this show. One day he can block bullets, the next day a kick to the face knocks him out.

Top Bottom