• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mike Pence, we dont talk about Trumps replacement enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimawolf

So while Trump runs around failing to pass real legislation, throwing tantrums about dismantling the constitution and 9th circuit, helping build the case to impeach him, Mike Pence sits in the background smirking.

He knows he is next in line when trump goes down and while on the surface he seems better than Trump, it may end up worse.

He knows how governemnt works and how to work within it. The conservatives, both extreme and moderate will rally around him as well and gay people will be royally fucked.

Mike Pence HATES gay people. He would probably throw them all in a pit of spikes if he could, so instead he settles for "gay reform camps".

So let's not forget about him just cause he is chillin in the background.

Basically what im saying is if dems don't get back the house or senate in 2018, we fucked.

platakul

Banned
Wouldn't be surprised if Trump picks a different running mate in 2020 based on some minor slight that Pence may make.

584affef120000dc00eee7ae.jpeg

The Mike Pence we need. Not the one we've got.

Betty

Banned
Let's hope the Dem's do good in 2018 then, otherwise yeah, shit creak here we come.

And as bad as Mike may be people do not hate him as much as Trump and I think he'd actually take the job seriously, so he'd be an improvement.

Kimawolf

Let's hope the Dem's do good in 2018 then, otherwise yeah, shit creak here we come.

And as bad as Mike may be people do not hate him as much as Trump and I think he'd actually take the job seriously, so he'd be an improvement.
Thats my problem. He will absolutely take it seriously.

Pence would be yet another establishment Republican without any of the toxic cult of personality that surrounds Trump, while also not being as incredibly ignorant and stupid. He's dangerous but more manageable.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Mike Pence would be a horrible president but he'd still be an improvement.

Thats my problem. He will absolutely take it seriously.

Trump takes the job seriously. He doesn't take it competently.

My best case scenario:

Now - 2018: Trump remains in office but is so incompetent while the Republican House is so divided that they fail to get any significant legislation passed.

2018: Dems take back control of the senate.

2018-2020: If Trump is impeached Dems are able to block any terrible legislation that the more politically competent Pence puts forward.

ZealousD

I'm guessing that Trump will make it through his first term, and then not bother to run again in 2020. He's really tired.

If Trump doesn't get impeached, he will run again. Choosing not to run for re-election would be like admitting defeat. If nothing else, we know Trump is obsessed with "winning".

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
So if it ever comes out that the Trump team collided with Russia in last fall's election, why would the Republicans be allowed to keep the victory if the whole reason a Republican is in office came about due to cheating and treason? When Usain Bolt's team mate tested positive, they took everyone's relay medals. Shouldn't the same apply here?

platakul

Banned
If Trump doesn't get impeached, he will run again. Choosing not to run for re-election would be like admitting defeat. If nothing else, we know Trump is obsessed with "winning".
He likes the campaign too as we know. His fourth year in office might see him completely absent from the white house and on the campaign trail

Trump already filled the Supreme Court seat so what are we afraid of with Pence? He can't create gay reform camps. People and the courts wouldn't allow it. People like gays a hell of a lot more than Muslims in this country. So it's an improvement all around.

So if it ever comes out that the Trump team collided with Russia in last fall's election, why would the Republicans be allowed to keep the victory if the whole reason a Republican is in office came about due to cheating and treason? When Usain Bolt's team mate tested positive, they took everyone's relay medals. Shouldn't the same apply here?
Because it's the law. Individuals are impeached not entire political parties.

There's nothing in the books that really deals with this, and since Republicans control Congress as well there would be no changing of hands or special election unless the public agitation for such was massive.

If Trump is removed from the Presidency, any Republican taking his place, be it Pence or Ryan, will be the lamest of lame ducks incapable of dealing with anything except the fall out of a President being removed from power. Pence would have neither the political capital or power to push any anti-gay agenda.

If Trump is removed from the Presidency, any Republican taking his place, be it Pence or Ryan, will be the lamest of lame ducks incapable of dealing with anything except the fall out of a President being removed from power. Pence would have neither the political capital or power to push any anti-gay agenda.

Not if congress is still majority republican. They want to pass their agenda. They would work with Pence. I really think this is a case of be careful what you wish for. Trump's incompetence and inexperience along with the fact that he isn't a career politician hell bent on a certain agenda has the potential and is so far proving to cause him to be ineffective. Someone who is more committed to the conservative agenda and more competent is going to be far worse for liberals. It won't be this brash offensive and dysfunctional government any longer, but they will just damage the country more quietly and efficiently from within. I've said it all along and I still believe that Trump was best case scenario for liberals (of the republicans with a shot).

He is not worse than Trump on any level. Mike Pence is actually qualified to be president, he is not mentally unhinged, he has some basic level of education, and he resides in a generally rational world mentally. Nor is he a criminal or potentially guilty of treason.

This really isn't up for debate IMO, especially after witnessing Trump as president. I don't like Pence, I think he is loathsome. But he is infinitely better than Trump.

120v

yup... pence is a spooky guy but if trump goes down in flames any replacement would be the lamest of lame ducks. not that the interim would be candy and rainbows but there's not much they could do in the way of agenda

Joni

Anything that gets Trump kicked out, will be big enough to get Ryan in the seat instead of Pence who'd be kicked out too.

Heshinsi

Trump already filled the Supreme Court seat so what are we afraid of with Pence? He can't create gay reform camps. People and the courts wouldn't allow it. People like gays a hell of a lot more than Muslims in this country. So it's an improvement all around.

Because it's the law. Individuals are impeached not entire political parties.

That seems less than ideal to me. If the win is secured by cheating, why should the win stand?

FStubbs

Pence is just as crazy and bigoted as Trump and even more hateful. He's also more politically savvy so you'd have huge trouble.

A tell to the fact Pence is more hateful than Trump was the inauguration, where Trump shook everyone's hand, but Pence made it a point to ignore Obama, Clinton, and only shake the hands of Republicans.

That seems less than ideal to me. If the win is secured by cheating, why should the win stand?

Look, I get it. But this isn't helpful. There is no mechanism to unwind an election. And to be honest, declaring an entire election null and void is more dangerous to the (already fragile) mechanism of the American republic.

Pence has been caught in a lie about hiring Flynn knowing he was a foreign agent. He's not getting off scot-free
Yeah, he's already been caught lying about vetting Flynn and the details around when he heard about his Russian ties, so I don't understand the posts saying he's more competent or better than Trump. What evidence of his competency does anyone have to inform the viewpoints here?

III-V

Pence is dangerous, as he will be considered the lesser of two weevils if Trump gets impeached. But there is no chance in hell this guy would have had the votes.

In part because the "cheating" wasn't a direct vote rigging and so we don't know how the election would go down without it. And we have absolutely no process to redo an election, which would be a lengthy process and we still need a leader in the interim

There is no evidence that the win was secured by cheating. In fact, all evidence thus far confirms the integrity of the vote.

Trump almost certainly colluded with Russia either directly or with some form of go between. That collusion is illegal even if it isn't actually responsible for his win.

So only those who can be linked via evidence to the crime would be prosecutable. It is unlikely that everyone in the chain of succession would be so linked.

The only reason Pence gives off an air of competency is because Trump is hogging all of the spotlight. He's already had a major fuck up (re: Flynn).

Game Guru

Not if congress is still majority republican. They want to pass their agenda. They would work with Pence. I really think this is a case of be careful what you wish for. Trump's incompetence and inexperience along with the fact that he isn't a career politician hell bent on a certain agenda has the potential and is so far proving to cause him to be ineffective. Someone who is more committed to the conservative agenda and more competent is going to be far worse for liberals. It won't be this brash offensive and dysfunctional government any longer, but they will just damage the country more quietly and efficiently from within. I've said it all along and I still believe that Trump was best case scenario for liberals (of the republicans with a shot).

Even if the majority Republican Congress impeached Trump, they would still have to deal with the fallout since Trump's supporters would be livid and blame the Congress that impeached him. The sad fact is that Trump's supporters are the Republican voters now, and thus control the party.

The quote that people say is that "Republicans fall in line and Democrats fall in love." McCain and Romney are certainly examples of Republicans falling in line, but Trump... Trump is what happens when Republicans fall in love in the way Democrats are said to do. Trump is exactly who Republican voters want leading the nation.

Heshinsi

Look, I get it. But this isn't helpful. There is no mechanism to unwind an election. And to be honest, declaring an entire election null and void is more dangerous to the (already fragile) mechanism of the American republic.

What you're saying makes sense. The integrity of the system and people's belief that it works is important.

Pence is a moderate though right? Why would the idealogically far right conservative tea party block give two fucks about what pence wants?

The conservative party have factions within factions at this point and they all hate each other, no?

I dont think that racist homophobic aging ken-doll Mike Pence has the leadership ability.

Pence would be bad for US domestic issues but would be mostly status quo for international policy. That's more than good enough for me.

You can live through 4 more years of Republicans as long as WW3 doesn't start.

Bleepey

Pence is just as crazy and bigoted as Trump and even more hateful. He's also more politically savvy so you'd have huge trouble.

A tell to the fact Pence is more hateful than Trump was the inauguration, where Trump shook everyone's hand, but Pence made it a point to ignore Obama, Clinton, and only shake the hands of Republicans.

I googled it, and you weren't kidding. Blanked Jimmy Carter too. Bell end

Pence wants creationism taught in schools:

https://www.congress.gov/congressio...{"search":["\"mike+pence\""]}&resultIndex=190

The truth is it always was a theory, Mr. Speaker. And now that we
have recognized evolution as a theory, I would simply and humbly ask,
can we teach it as such and can we also consider teaching other
theories of the origin of species?
Like the theory that was believed in
by every signer of the Declaration of Independence. Every signer of the
Declaration of Independence believed that men and women were created
and were endowed by that same Creator with certain unalienable rights.
The Bible tells us that God created man in his own imagine, male and
female. He created them. And I believe that, Mr. Speaker.

I believe that God created the known universe, the Earth and
everything in it, including man. And I also believe that someday
scientists will come to see that only the theory of intelligent design
provides even a remotely rationale explanation for the known universe.

But until that day comes, and I have no fear of science, I believe that
the more we study the science, the more the truth of faith will become
apparent. I would just humbly ask as new theories of evolution find
their ways into the newspapers and into the textbooks, let us demand
that educators around America teach evolution not as fact, but as
theory, and an interesting theory to boot. But let us also bring into
the minds of all of our children all of the theories about the
unknowable
that some bright day in the future through science and
perhaps through faith we will find the truth from whence we come.

ZealousD

Pence is a moderate though right? Why would the idealogically far right conservative tea party block give two fucks about what pence wants?

The conservative party have factions within factions at this point and they all hate each other, no?

Pence is not a moderate. Not by a long shot.

RPGCrazied

As a gay man I'd rather have Pence then Trump. And that is saying something. I just don't trust Trump on anything. He is a moron man child. Every time he speaks I have trouble understanding what he is trying to say.

Iksenpets

Banned
Mike Pence would be absolutely terrible for LGBT rights, but I also don't feel like I have to worry about him stumbling into war with North Korea or pulling out of NAFTA as a publicity stunt. I'm actually super conflicted on which would be worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom