• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The End Is Nigh |OT| Super Rich Evans

damn this game is soooo good! And while i manage to get every tumor, there's always one or two secret that i can't find!

also those cartridge games are great too, so satisfiying when you finish one!

jediyoshi

Hello dear thread reader. No you're not crazy, there is in fact no link to this game's store page mentioned anywhere in here. Do with this what you will.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/583470/The_End_Is_Nigh/

It certainly looks like you picked a good thread title to spark interest though, RLM fans will flock to the sound of Rich Evan's beautiful laugh.

I'm not sure this would have worked out as well as 'The End Is Nigh |OT| NEW GAME BY THE SUPER MEAT BOY GUY' which is also a reference that gamers would recognize.

Stoze

I'm not sure this would have worked out as well as 'The End Is Nigh |OT| NEW GAME BY THE SUPER MEAT BOY DEVS' which is also a reference that gamers would recognize.
Or for maximum exposure:

The End Is Nigh |OT| From the creator of Super Meat Boy and Binding of Isaac ft. Rich Evans

Puru

Character is personally far more pleasing to control than SMB
The level design is good so far, nice diversity as expected and it got pretty hard where i stopped
after finishing the initial map, kinda like dark stage of smb so far it seems

Happy with that purchase.

jb1234

I've played for a bit. I definitely like it. Am getting a kick out of the music (all classical music arrangements so far. The version of Dvorak's 9th is rockin').

Edit: The cartridge levels are BULLSHIT, haha.

Stoze

30% completion so far, damn this game is good.
I've played for a bit. I definitely like it. Am getting a kick out of the music (all classical music arrangements so far. The version of Dvorak's 9th is rockin').

Edit: The cartridge levels are BULLSHIT, haha.
Some are way easier than others, the first one I got called
!Denial
I still haven't beaten, but the next two were a lot more manageable.

jb1234

30% completion so far, damn this game is good.

Some are way easier than others, the first one I got called
!Denial
I still haven't beaten, but the next two were a lot more manageable.

Yeah, I'm stuck on
!Denial still.
The other two I've found have ranged from mostly okay (the one you find in the first area) to rage inducing (the one in the third). Just a little over two hours and I'm already at 628 deaths! :D

My one criticism is that I'm not a fan of the map system. Each area has a bunch of different levels in it (all connected) but I can't find a way to go to them individually so if I wanted to hunt something down in level 15, I'd have to start at 1 and make my way forward, which is a major pain in the ass.

Jumping in!

LBWqBBP.gif

What does Ryan Gosling have to do with this?

Yeah, I'm stuck on
!Denial still.
The other two I've found have ranged from mostly okay (the one you find in the first area) to rage inducing (the one in the third). Just a little over two hours and I'm already at 628 deaths! :D

My one criticism is that I'm not a fan of the map system. Each area has a bunch of different levels in it (all connected) but I can't find a way to go to them individually so if I wanted to hunt something down in level 15, I'd have to start at 1 and make my way forward, which is a major pain in the ass.

You could start at level 1 of the next zone and go only 5 levels back

jb1234

You could start at level 1 of the next zone and go only 5 levels back

I tried that. Going backwards is often significantly harder than going forwards, to the point where it's not really worth doing. This isn't a gigantic issue in the early levels but I can't see myself having to plod through several later levels that I barely survived initially just to hunt for stuff I missed.

bosh

Holding off for Switch version (although hard not to double dip).

Sounds like the game is awesome so far though! Can't wait to join you all in the death counts....

I reached the
split
. This game is HARD.
The difficulty curve is much more steep than SMBoy, though it seems like it evens out more quickly.
Then there are the
levels that require a # of tumor to reach. these are much, much harder than anything else so far.

Dantero

I'm enjoying this a lot more than Meat Boy. Pretty fun, not super hard yet at 25ish % but I'm sure it'll get there. Only did the
denial
cart for now, but that was only hard because you have to do all screens with one try.
It's probably the more open level design I prefer over smb, finding optional areas and secrets is always fun..

Yeah, this is fantastic so far. I got the second cartridge and managed to beat it with 100 coins on my first try. I used up all 16 lives on the last screen hilariously....that last life was a nailbiter. I was so close to rage exploding. It was really quite forgiving and I managed to push it right up to the edge!

BlakeofT

This was a total surprise for me to find out that this game existed. I'll have to pick this bad boy up when I get home!

i can't find the second big black goo thing, that you need a certain number of tumor to open!

Any idea where it is? (already did 1, 3 and 4)

Dantero

61% at 4:21h and 1400 deaths. Feels kind of short for 600 levels. But I guess the later levels are going to take a while.

Yogg

Loving it so far. But man, the secrets are sooo brutal. 100% will hurt. A lot.

edit: Denial! holy shit...

Did someone finished Tombs & Torture? I can't figure how to pass screen 9 :

6kRkWyB.jpg

how do i go down the path to the right? (the brown killing parts go up very quickly)

tesqui

Really enjoying this game. I love how secrets are such a big focus.

It's kind of weird how no one is talking about it considering it's the next big platformer game by the Super Meat Boy guy. I honestly find it just as good if not better in quality.

Really enjoying this game. I love how secrets are such a big focus.

It's kind of weird how no one is talking about it considering it's the next big platformer game by the Super Meat Boy guy. I honestly find it just as good if not better in quality.

I agree, crazy that this OT has only managed a couple pages considering the pedigree of the developer and how good this game is. Hopefully it manages to sell well anyway.

Goroh

Did someone finished Tombs & Torture? I can't figure how to pass screen 9 :

6kRkWyB.jpg

how do i go down the path to the right? (the brown killing parts go up very quickly)

I lost like half an hour on that screen, the timing is just REALLY tight. I hate descent platforming.

Stoze

Oh god, I think I messed up. Late gameish spoilers;
On the second map, The Future, I thought the top left was still my tumor counter and hadn't glanced at it since beginning this stuff. I'm on the last screen of Ruin and I just noticed it's at 50 and counting down. Had I not been playing 2 feet away from my screen I probably would've caught that earlier and not recklessly thrown away lives on looking for secrets. :/
Welp, time to see what happens I guess.

Oh god, I think I messed up. Late gameish spoilers;
On the second map, The Future, I thought the top left was still my tumor counter and hadn't glanced at it since beginning this stuff. I'm on the last screen of Ruin and I just noticed it's at 50 and counting down. Had I not been playing 2 feet away from my screen I probably would've caught that earlier and not recklessly thrown away lives on looking for secrets. :/
Welp, time to see what happens I guess.

I JUST reached anguish myself, and freaked out in a similar manner lol. The tumors are restored when you go back to the past or play a cartridge. So it's just a life counter. Stupidly hard with just 140 tumors lol.

edit: people already completed this game in less than 30 mins lol, insane https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1thPizwdEA

Stoze

I JUST reached anguish myself, and freaked out in a similar manner lol. The tumors are restored when you go back to the past or play a cartridge. So it's just a life counter. Stupidly hard with just 140 tumors lol.
Ah ok, yeah maybe they should've made that clearer. Or maybe I just missed something.

Unfortunately, that means the stakes are still on though because
I'm unsure how to beat this screen and I only have 40 lives to do it now before I presumably lose progress.
Argh

edit: Also that speedrun isn't for
beating the game

Ah ok, yeah maybe they should've made that clearer. Or maybe I just missed something.

Unfortunately, that means the stakes are still on though because
I'm unsure how to beat this screen and I only have 40 lives to do it now before I presumably lose progress.
Argh

edit: Also that speedrun isn't for
beating the game
Yeah it would be pretty hard even for a practiced runner to
beat anguish with so few lives
. Someone will do it though, I'm sure :p

Stoze

Yeah it would be pretty hard even for a practiced runner to
beat anguish with so few lives
. Someone will do it though, I'm sure :p

It looks like the full speed run is little over an
an hour
, which is still hella fast for a couple days out.

Finished game spoilers:
In other news I made it past that screen and soon after
beat the game,
or at least got the first ending.
Going back in for more.

Anguish with 140 tumor is easily doable, but the laters? Nah

anyway, finally reached 100 % everywhere, i just need to finish some carts with all 4 achievements (some freaking hard ones at that), i'm at 96% on my save files, with 10'000 deaths

this game is so good! Really glad for the classical music too, and they didn't choose the obvious ones, which is really cool!

dk_

Wow, no interest in the game at all on GAF. Didn't expect that tbh. I'm on the fence and wanted to read some impressions, but these are really scarce here it seems.

BraXzy

Is the low buzz down to the name? I keep reading it and forgetting what it is. Will be picking it up when I'm back off holiday.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Personally, I'm kinda waiting for the Switch version. I would've bought the PC version, too, if it got a DRM-free release, but since they didn't... nah.

Yogg

I'm skipping the cartridges for now to focus on the main progression, and I'm having a blast. The presentation and progression really makes it a SMB spiritual successor for me, but just harder.

I just don't understand how this game has no publicity, no reviews out there, or any release articles. It's one of the best at what it does, and I expected at least some recognition. I don't get it at all.

tesqui

I'm skipping the cartridges for now to focus on the main progression, and I'm having a blast. The presentation and progression really makes it a SMB spiritual successor for me, but just harder.

I just don't understand how this game has no publicity, no reviews out there, or any release articles. It's one of the best at what it does, and I expected at least some recognition. I don't get it at all.

Yeah, some of those cartridges seem real challenging. Especially the ones you have to do in 1 go. I'm getting flashbacks to the IWBTG! level from SMB.

I'm hoping once reviews start to come in it will get some recognition.

Stoze

I'm at 99%, I think the only things left I need to do are get beat and get all the mini-achievements for
Super Mega Cart and Acceptance
...so that 1% is probably going to take hours.

I wonder if talking to all the NPCs does something special, there's a couple that I thought were impossible and just there for set dressing but looking at the subreddit there are some really sneaky ways to get them.

The spring jumping in this game is terrible. Is there some kind of trick to it? It's making this sewer level near impossible to do since I need to bounce off fish and smoke cloud dudes and it's impossible to do reliably. This game is really fun, but this particular mechanic is sucking all the fun out.

The soundtrack is A++ though.

Top Bottom