• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The End Is Nigh |OT| Super Rich Evans

header.jpg

Release date: Steam (Out Now), Switch (TBA)
Price: $15/£11 (10% off for the next hour, 20% if you own TBoI)

Screens:
ss_949c94ad29bfdc59411e497364228cfbfc4415ee.600x338.jpg

ss_56c71c108ebe2ec3a911031bb3083438101f5a3e.600x338.jpg

ss_3783211f9f493aac1f20c0844aa3df81a224d30a.600x338.jpg

If you are reading this you are probably dead...

Just kidding, you aren't dead... YET!
See, in the future, everything dies... for the most part.
and this is a game about just that.

The End Is Nigh!

-the management

Gameplay:

The End Is Nigh is a sprawling adventure platformer where the player takes control over Ash, one of few "things" that have "survived" the "end of the world".
Follow Ash as he flops his way through a future of pain and suffering. Feel his stress levels rise as you throw him into an endless swarm of decaying, mutant animal-like creatures and help aid his final epic quest... to simply make a friend (out of pieces of people he finds along his journey).

Oh, also you collect video game cartridges and tumors! if that does anything for ya.

Features:
600+ levels!

12+ explorable chapters!

20+ collectible and fully playable mini game cartridges! (each with their own tiny achievements!)

80+ achievements that will make you feel good about yourself

100s of collectible little squishy tumors!

loads of hidden extras and endings that you will probably see someone else find before you do!

and stress!

Reviews:

Due to the surprise release, not up yet.

Apologies for the minimal OT, just released on Steam early. If anyone had a meatier OT planned, please lock in favour of that.

ThisOne

Excited to hear impressions for this one. I probably won't play it on PC so I'll have to wait for the inevitable PS4 port.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
What has Rich Evans to do with the game?
Is he doing voicework? Please... please... not his laugh! ;)

kami_sama

What? This came out of nowhere? Why?
I am thinking about buying it, but damn, tomorrow I have to buy Dream Daddy. What to do?

sheaaaa

Amen. Finding it rather sad and surprising that there's been next to no hype about this.

Just a thought, but maybe if the game's low profile and needs some hype, having a more descriptive OT title would help sell it better instead of an inside joke.

Stoze

Amen. Finding it rather sad and surprising that there's been next to no hype about this.
It certainly looks like you picked a good thread title to spark interest though, RLM fans will flock to the sound of Rich Evan's beautiful laugh.

What? This came out of nowhere? Why?
I am thinking about buying it, but damn, tomorrow I have to buy Dream Daddy. What to do?
Buy this game instead, seriously. Edmund is probably just going to rely mostly on word of mouth, which considering his success it'll probably work out.

Just a thought, but maybe if the game's low profile and needs some hype, having a more descriptive OT title would help sell it better instead of an inside joke.

It's not like Edmund is seeming to want to do anything of the sort himself. I've included the entire Steam store description, and it doesn't mention his past games. And besides...

It certainly looks like you picked a good thread title to spark interest though, RLM fans will flock to the sound of Rich Evan's beautiful laugh.

...I knew this would get the thread some attention. It's pretty descriptive of the game, I feel. It's a spiritual successor to Super Meat Boy in many ways that happens to feature Rich Evans.

cyba89

It was kinda stealth announced only a few weeks ago and we haven't seen so much footage yet. I'm sure word of mouth will carry this game. Binding Of Isaac wasn't as big at the beginning either.

kris.

Banned
Sorry, should have put in the OP.

Rich Evans is providing his magnificent vocal chords for this game.

What else is up with Rich Evans? Who knows.

SERIOUSLY??

This was a buy eventually cuz SMB and TBoI devs but this lil tidbit made it an instabuy.

Kimkitten88

Neo Member
Been waiting for this game for a while now. Been amusing seeing Edmund tweeting about updates every day. Super Meat Boy is defiantly one of my favourite games of all time.

Well fuck, I don't know if it's my system or what, but the game runs at 20 fps, and I have a 1060.
Disable/lower shaders and AA, it helped me. Still don't think I got 60fps, but I'm on a laptop from 2012.

Anyways, I played a bit more than an hour and I love it.

It's structured quite differently than SMB; instead of levels, you have screens and you can smoothly go back and forth between them.

There are collectible Tumors, which were quite fun to get (the one in the 11th screen of the first zone was really tough). No obstacle is between you and traversing the screens.

The biggest difference is that the main character (Adam?) cannot walljump. It can hang onto corners, but it cannot walljump which makes many levels tougher than they may seem. The first area had no boss. The difficulty seems to be 95% in getting the tumors, some screens took me 5-10 tries to simply pass while it took 30+ tries to get the tumor.

The music is remixes of classical music, and I think they work really well.

Overall, Edmund did it again. It's a lovely game.

Disable/lower shaders and AA, it helped me. Still don't think I got 60fps, but I'm on a laptop from 2012.

Anyways, I played a bit more than an hour and I love it.

It's structured quite differently than SMB; instead of levels, you have screens and you can smoothly go back and forth between them.

There are collectible Tumors, which were quite fun to get (the one in the 11th screen of the first zone was really tough). No obstacle is between you and traversing the screens.

The biggest difference is that the main character (Adam?) cannot walljump. It can hang onto corners, but it cannot walljump which makes many levels tougher than they may seem. The first area had no boss. The difficulty seems to be 95% in getting the tumors, some screens took me 5-10 tries to simply pass while it took 30+ tries to get the tumor.

The music is remixes of classical music, and I think they work really well.

Overall, Edmund did it again. It's a lovely game.

Spent about an hour on it as well during lunch. I agree with everything here. The most pleasant surprise so far is how much it feels like meat boy from a control standpoint. Ignoring the wall jump mechanic, things like adam's speed while running, jumping, falling, etc all feel the same as meat boy's. It looks like there's the potential for power ups like a double jump, although I haven't been able to find anything yet.

All told, if you like meat boy, this definitely deserves a pickup.

liquidtmd

Banned
Will be getting this. Who is Rich Evans exactly? Just googled and don't recognise him from anything...

YouTube Channel 'Red Letter Media' - movie reviewers. Acquired taste but I find very funny

For introductions to Rich Evans, YouTube them doing a Resident Evil marathon or watching 3 Transformers movies simultaneously.

GOAT laugh

Rich Evans also does Game Reviews

Will be getting this. Who is Rich Evans exactly? Just googled and don't recognise him from anything...

Internet superstar and hack fraud responsible for such classic roles as "Dick the Birthday Boy" and "Restaurant Patron". He also appeared in classic videos such as thisForce Awakens Reaction Video..

He also co-hosts the Previously Recorded twitch streams and YouTube videos and they did an interview with the developer once.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yg8j5AI0sc

So far so good. It stinks just like Super Meat Boy, which is good.

Can't wait to keep playing. Controls are perfect. Jumps are perfect.

Played about an hour and a half so far, loving it, I needed another tough as nails platformer like SMB, and this scratches that itch perfectly.

Lamptramp

Rich has made it big! Biiiiiiig!

Sad but true. I don't get with these kind of games, as I'm old and with the reflexes of a sloth on Diazepam, but the merest suggestion of Dick the birthday boy is enough for me to pay attention :p

Holy fucking shit, guys.

Info on secrets to follow.

So... I just found what I believe to be the very first game cartridge. It's a few screens into a hidden zone called The Future you enter from the Arid Flats (you need 50 tumors to enter, talk to the guy on the lower right in Arid Flats 6 or 7, something like that).

The zone itself has a really, really cool design and a couple tough screens.

You end up getting a cartridge, called Denial. You can play game carts you find at the computer in the beginning of the game. Carts are basically special stages with C64-style graphics (think VVVVVV). And by god, Denial is incredible. It's 8 screens of intense, top-tier platforming with no mechanics needed except jumping and grabbing. Especially finishing off the last 3 screens in one try made me feel a rush unlike any other. Incredible.

The hidden stages in this game are something else if the one I just found is any indication.

liquidtmd

Banned
Holy fucking shit, guys.

So... I just found what I believe to be the very first game cartridge. It's a few screens into a hidden zone called The Future you enter from the Arid Flats (you need 50 tumors to enter, talk to the guy on the lower right in Arid Flats 6 or 7, something like that).

You end up getting a cartridge, called Denial. You can play game carts you find at the computer in the beginning of the game. Carts are basically special stages with C64-style graphics (think VVVVVV). And by god, Denial is incredible. It's 8 screens of intense, top-tier platforming with no mechanics needed except jumping and grabbing. Especially finishing off the last 3 screens in one try made me feel a rush unlike any other. Incredible.

The hidden stages in this game are something else if the one I just found is any indication.

You're selling it to me big time

tesqui

1 hour in and holy shit this game is really good.

I forgot how amazing this guy is at making simple but very challenging platformers.

Love how many off screen secrets and weirdness there is. Awesome atmosphere.

And lastly the music is very good in the same way Super Meat Boy was.

You're selling it to me big time
It's somehow as fluid as SMB without having walljumping, my favorite mechanic in that game.

TEIN seems to be focusing on making tight jumps in close quarters instead of SMB's focus on precise jumps over big gaps (and walljumping).

TEIN, due to its nature (it's almost a Metroidvania, and it made me realize I'd kill for an Edmund-made Metroidvania- too linear to actually be one though) has to make levels traversable forwards AND backwards, which, in conjunction with having no walljumps, somewhat constrains the level design: A few levels too many (in the first zone) relied on the same trick of "get to pillar, pillar starts to fall, climb up the pillar to jump to the next one", but the second zone got quite better by introducing enemies, jump pads and the like.

It might be really shorter though, the map is saying I've already explored 19%.

Holy fucking shit, guys.

This sounds amazing. I need to find more time for this game ASAP.

Kudos for the impressions - does such a good job at selling the game I almost feel they should be added to the OP.

cyba89

I did Golden God in Super Meat Boy and this game already gets pretty challenging in World 3. Controls feel very good when you manage to surpress your walljump habits and adapt to the grab gameplay.
Just unlocked my first cartridge. This is good stuff (and really hard).

Gears

Was literally just playing meat boy again a few days ago wondering when they would release the next bag of coke. Why the fuck didnt I know about this

Top Bottom