• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tablets for Art (Surface, Yoga, iPad Pro etc.) Deals Thread [to be updated regularly]

Etzer

How does the original Surface Pro fare in 2016? I was surprised to see it as low as $230 for a 128GB model on eBay recently. I've read that battery life is an issue, but Microsoft sells a Surface Power Cover that provides a fix for that.

wanders

How does the original Surface Pro fare in 2016? I was surprised to see it as low as $230 for a 128GB model on eBay recently. I've read that battery life is an issue, but Microsoft sells a Surface Power Cover that provides a fix for that.

I think it's a great deal for $230

I have one and I love it but the screen is a little too small. Also my lines don't taper nicely and they look wiggly sometimes :p

If you're interested in one I can sell you mine

UFO

Banned
Hey Shog, what do you think of the Surface Pro 2? Amazon has refurb units for $450. I like the 10" size more then the 12" SP3/4.

Etzer

I think it's a great deal for $230

I have one and I love it but the screen is a little too small. Also my lines don't taper nicely and they look wiggly sometimes :p

If you're interested in one I can sell you mine

Thanks for the offer, but I ended up getting a Surface Pro 2. A pawn shop on eBay had one listed as a "Surface Model 1601". Mislabeled auctions are the best thing for when I'm on a budget. It doesn't come with the pen, so I had to order one. Incidentally, if anyone's looking for a cheap replacement pen for the SP1 or SP2, the Fujitsu pen that people seem to like is $11 from this seller.

wanders

Thanks for the offer, but I ended up getting a Surface Pro 2. A pawn shop on eBay had one listed as a "Surface Model 1601". Mislabeled auctions are the best thing for when I'm on a budget. It doesn't come with the pen, so I had to order one. Incidentally, if anyone's looking for a cheap replacement pen for the SP1 or SP2, the Fujitsu pen that people seem to like is $11 from this seller.

Damn I got that pen for $40 when I first got mine lol

Hey Shog, what do you think of the Surface Pro 2? Amazon has refurb units for $450. I like the 10" size more then the 12" SP3/4.
Pros:

1. Surface Pro 2 uses Wacom EMR, so all art apps will be fully compatible with it. Even fringe apps.

Cons:

1. Wacom EMR on smaller screens suffer from edge drifting and jittering more. You need to work towards the center to have more accurate pen tip and cursor interaction.

2. If you intend to rotate the screen between landscape and portrait orientation back and forth constantly, you will find yourself needing to recalibrate the screen often with Wacom EMR if you obsess about the pen tip and cursor alignment. Can get annoying.

3. It is rather heavy (2 lbs) for a 10.6" tablet.

4. The battery life won't be great. Using Photoshop, 2~3 hours would be norm for a new battery. For older battery, probably less.

If none of those Cons might bother you, Surface Pro 2 at that price is a good deal.

For some reason, Microsoft store is selling the 4GB/128GB Wifi version for $50 less than the 2GB/64GB Wifi version.

surface-3.jpg

No idea why, and no idea how long this will last.

EDIT: The deal ends January 21st. YOU ONLY HAVE ONE DAY! GO GO GO! (thanks, Broken Ska)

Looks like it's only for a day.
*Offer valid from January 20, 2016 until January 21, 2016, while supplies last. Available in Microsoft retail and online store in US (including Puerto Rico). Limits and exclusions may apply. Not valid on prior orders or purchases; cannot be transferred or otherwise redeemed for cash or gift cards. May not be combinable with other offers. Refunds will take into account the discount. Price discount does not include taxes, shipping or other fees. Void where prohibited or restricted by law. Microsoft reserves the right to modify or discontinue offers at any time. Limit 3 per customer.

Well shit, I'd jump on it if you had this model on your radar. That's a good deal. It's a champ of a tablet. I still use mine regularly.

reKon

Banned
I'm going to wait a couple months, see what the Surface 4 brings. If i get disappointment, then I'm going in and I won't give a fuck.

http://techtablets.com/cube-i9/

Believe or not many of the tablets on site are good build quality and run great (look at reviews on the web).

Obvious the risk is that support will be much tougher to deal with, but when some of these devices are 2x to 3x cheaper than the surface pro, why not?

I'm going to wait a couple months, see what the Surface 4 brings. If i get disappointment, then I'm going in and I won't give a fuck.

Believe or not many of the tablets on site are good build quality and run great (look at reviews on the web).

Obvious the risk is that support will be much tougher to deal with, but when some of these devices are 2x to 3x cheaper than the surface pro, why not?

This thread is for tablets and convertibles with pressure sensitive pen support. The Cube i9 has no pen digitizer sadly.

Etzer

Yep. Had I not gotten a great deal on a Surface Pro 2, I would've been all over a Cube i7 Stylus.

BTW, did you mean to link to the i7 Stylus or iWork 11? The i9 doesn't have a pen.

reKon

Banned
This thread is for tablets and convertibles with pressure sensitive pen support. The Cube i9 has no pen digitizer sadly.

Yep. Had I not gotten a great deal on a Surface Pro 2, I would've been all over a Cube i7 Stylus.

BTW, did you mean to link to the i7 Stylus or iWork 11? The i9 doesn't have a pen.

Ah yeah I just realized. They haven't announced it yet, but I'm sure that they will come out with the stylus version a few months after the release of this, which will be in two weeks.

Zaru

I would order the pen separately. It does not come in the box. Unless it comes as a bundle deal with the laptop, the salesperson is mistake.

BTW, I helped my friend order your model few months back. It's a well tested model. You should have good luck with it.

Something seems to be weird about the pressure sensitivity. It goes to max level almost every time, but sometimes it registers correctly.
The settings of the pen in the Wacom pen utility do nothing.
No idea if this is a particular problem on my side or something that will be patched.

Something seems to be weird about the pressure sensitivity. It goes to max level almost every time, but sometimes it registers correctly.
The settings of the pen in the Wacom pen utility do nothing.
No idea if this is a particular problem on my side or something that will be patched.

First time I heard of such problem on this model. Can you describe the situation more?

Zaru

First time I heard of such problem on this model. Can you describe the situation more?

For example, photoshop CS5. I lightly press the screen with the pen, and it goes full pressure no matter the brush. Sometimes, and I don't know for what reason, it instead registers a low pressure which I can slightly alter (but it never goes to max pressure once that happens)
Basically, no matter how I put the pen on the screen, the pressure levels are useless/erratic, but not GONE.
Similar behaviour in Clip Studio Paint.
Ironically it works better in OneNote.

Subscribing to this thread!
I'm looking into ditching my Wacom tablet and Asus Zenbook for a tablet with similar specs. I'm leaning towards the Surface 3, but I'm open to other suggestions.

My current laptop is an Intel i5 with 4GB/128GB.

Luigi87

So I've been using ZBrush on my SP4 recently (to give insight to people how it functions), and it runs so well.

I bought the Artist Pad feature for the Tablet Pro app (from the Windows store) and set it up and it functions great. Being able to use ZBrush on my SP4 without my type cover connected is a dream (because otherwise ZBrush is unusable without a keyboard).

An important thing about it is that Pen Flicks had to be turned off for ZBrush to function seamlessly on the SP4 with the stylus, otherwise there would be delay lag, which is curious. I suppose it has something to do with NTrig drivers? I have no idea.

I'm going throw out there that I've been using a Wacom Intuos 3 for 10 years and I love it.. I've thought about upgrading over the years, but based on impressions of others and reviews, it seems the new tablets are of a poorer quality.. Intuos 3 still going strong.

I know it's not a draw directly onto the screen sort of tablet, but you can pick them up rather cheap, used and in functional condition, for 80-100 dollars. Well worth it. I bought a second one recently to carry around with my laptop.

jwk94

@Op, just wanted to give you a huge thanks. Girlfriend and I returned the Galaxy Tab Pro and got the latest Note tablet. She loves the hell out of it. Could not have done this without you.

For example, photoshop CS5. I lightly press the screen with the pen, and it goes full pressure no matter the brush. Sometimes, and I don't know for what reason, it instead registers a low pressure which I can slightly alter (but it never goes to max pressure once that happens)
Basically, no matter how I put the pen on the screen, the pressure levels are useless/erratic, but not GONE.
Similar behaviour in Clip Studio Paint.
Ironically it works better in OneNote.

That's definitely wacky behavior. I need more info:

1. In Clip Studio Paint, go to preferences and check "Tablet" mode. Is it Wintab or Windows/Microsoft?

2. Is the Wintab driver installed on the machine? If so which version? Check classic Control Panel and see if there is a "Wacom" or "Tablet" utility listed. Launch it and check the version number.

I'm going throw out there that I've been using a Wacom Intuos 3 for 10 years and I love it.. I've thought about upgrading over the years, but based on impressions of others and reviews, it seems the new tablets are of a poorer quality.. Intuos 3 still going strong.

I know it's not a draw directly onto the screen sort of tablet, but you can pick them up rather cheap, used and in functional condition, for 80-100 dollars. Well worth it. I bought a second one recently to carry around with my laptop.

There is two types of digital artists in this world: Ones that hate having their hands in the way of the drawing, and ones that hates drawing while looking away from their hand. This is purely determined by whether you ever got use to your standard drawing tablet or not. You are obviously part of the first group and I would not ever try to convince you to switch. What is great is that both groups have great hardware options today.

Subscribing to this thread!
I'm looking into ditching my Wacom tablet and Asus Zenbook for a tablet with similar specs. I'm leaning towards the Surface 3, but I'm open to other suggestions.

My current laptop is an Intel i5 with 4GB/128GB.
I would scratch Surface 3 from your list and aim for Surface Pro 3 and faster. I think going down to Atom from i5 would be jarring for you.

@Op, just wanted to give you a huge thanks. Girlfriend and I returned the Galaxy Tab Pro and got the latest Note tablet. She loves the hell out of it. Could not have done this without you.
My pleasure. Your situation is exactly the types of situations that I want to help out by keeping on making tablet threads at Neogaf.

Zaru

That's definitely wacky behavior. I need more info:

1. In Clip Studio Paint, go to preferences and check "Tablet" mode. Is it Wintab or Windows/Microsoft?

2. Is the Wintab driver installed on the machine? If so which version? Check classic Control Panel and see if there is a "Wacom" or "Tablet" utility listed. Launch it and check the version number.

1. It's WinTab.

2. It is. Latest, I assume (reinstalled from Lenovo website to make sure)

Not sure what you mean. I can find the "pen and touch control panel" and the "Wacom Pen" app (where you configure buttons, tip sensitivity and calibrate the display)

Behaviour is exemplified in this image. The pressure can't go very light or very hard. I did a lot of similar strokes showing how the pressure randomly jumps to 100.

1UyKsf3.png

1. It's WinTab.

2. It is. Latest, I assume (reinstalled from Lenovo website to make sure)

Not sure what you mean. I can find the "pen and touch control panel" and the "Wacom Pen" app (where you configure buttons, tip sensitivity and calibrate the display)

Behaviour is exemplified in this image. The pressure can't go very light or very hard. I did a lot of similar strokes showing how the pressure randomly jumps to 100.

1UyKsf3.png

I wish you had another pen to test out. I can only think of the pen being the culprit here. I have used couple of this exact model before and this is not the norm.

If all your apps are behaving similarly, I think you have a busted pen. Another pen would be the best tool to confirm this. Take your unit to Best Buy and see if they have a built in silo pen for the newer Thinkpad Yoga 14. Use that let us know how it behaves (Call ahead to see if they have the pen).

Zaru

I wish you had another pen to test out. I can only think of the pen being the culprit here. I have used couple of this exact model before and this is not the norm.

If all your apps are behaving similarly, I think you have a busted pen. Another pen would be the best tool to confirm this. Take your unit to Best Buy and see if they have a built in silo pen for the newer Thinkpad Yoga 14. Use that let us know how it behaves (Call ahead to see if they have the pen).

I'm in central Europe so no Best Buys for me. I guess I'll have to try finding one. Thanks for the advice!
Although, in the worst case it's not the pen but the screen.

I'm in central Europe so no Best Buys for me. I guess I'll have to try finding one. Thanks for the advice!
Although, in the worst case it's not the pen but the screen.

Good news is that the screen does not play any part in pressure sensitivity levels. It only detects where the finger and pen's tip is. The pressure sensor assembly is housed near the tip of the pen.

BTW, if you ever drop the pen tip first on the hard floor, you will damage the pressure sensor. That could be what happened here perhaps.

Etzer

en-INTL-L-VAIO-Z-Canvas-16GB-1TB-Black-QF9-00043-mnco.jpg

The most powerful pen enabled portable on the market is on sale again at Microsoft store.

This 12.3" tablet has quad core i7, up to 16GB of RAM, Intel Iris graphics and 95% Adobe RGB rated LCD with N-Trig digitizer.

Not as big of a sale as the X-mas $500 off on all models, but $300~400 off depending on the model is still nothing to scoff at. Hopefully this is permanent, but who knows.

This one is currently at half price for the Microsoft Store's President's Day Sale.

Thanks for heads up!

en-INTL-L-VAIO-Z-Canvas-16GB-1TB-Black-QF9-00043-mnco.jpg

THE MOST POWERFUL TABLET in existence is only $997 / $1197 / $1397 for President's day sale. That means the DISCOUNT is bigger than the sale price!!

Headline specs:

- 12.3" 2560x1704 IPS with 95% Adobe RGB and N-Trig Duo Sense 2 with 1024 levels of pressure sensitivity.
- Quad core i7 Haswell processor with Iris Pro Graphics
- Upto 16GB of RAM
- PCIe SSD drives in RAID 0 for the 1TB model for INSANE read and write speeds

This deal is soooo insane, I just ordered the 1TB version!! :D

Misha

Banned
I've been lurking this thread hoping for maybe a really good deal since I was looking for a computer of this style. Just bought the VAIO so thanks for that :). Way too good of a deal to pass up

I've been lurking this thread hoping for maybe a really good deal since I was looking for a computer of this style. Just bought the VAIO so thanks for that :). Way too good of a deal to pass up

Yes. Way too good. I already have a brand new Skylake i5 tablet but I had to pull the trigger on the VAIO Z Canvas.

does the cintiq 12HD ever go on sale? jeez.

Which one? 13HD? Or Cintiq Companion?

Can anyone link me a good pen that works on the original surface pro? My google skills fail me, and Amazon seems to only have stuff that works on the 3 and 4.

Jebus, this thing is so fucking fast! I can use 2000 pixel soft airbrush on 5000x3000 canvas in Clip Studio Paint and control the pressure levels consistently with the pen! WOW WOW WOW WOW!!!

Top Bottom