• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tablets for Art (Surface, Yoga, iPad Pro etc.) Deals Thread [to be updated regularly]

Fandangox

I don't know if this is the right thread for it, but I broke my monoprice tablet pen, it costs about 12 dollars in amazon, but with the shipping is over $20. I am wondering if anyone knows anywhere else I could get it cheaper?

I can't believe none of you are jumping on this deal. I thought NeoGAF was all about iPad Pro!?!

I thought about it for a minute...but I think I'm just gonna hang onto my Air 2. I don't have a laptop right now, and iOS is still too limited to be a replacement

I don't know if this is the right thread for it, but I broke my monoprice tablet pen, it costs about 12 dollars in amazon, but with the shipping is over $20. I am wondering if anyone knows anywhere else I could get it cheaper?

I don't think you can get any decent EMR pen with tilt for less than $20.

So I'm having a fun problem and I'm hoping one of the Tablet Masters of GAF can help me.

At work, I've been using a Cintiq 21UX with an older iMac that they supplied, no problems. Been using it for over a year now. A couple months ago, I brought in my MacBook Air so that I could use some of the software I had on there, downloaded the drivers, set everything up, hooray! I use the tablet all day, no problem, leave for work at night.

Come back the next morning, the tablet is not recognized my my computer. I go into Settings, it says there's no Cintiq. I get a picture on the Cintiq, but when I try to use the pen, it either doesn't respond at all, or the calibration is completely wonk - like the mouse will be on my Air and I'll wiggle the pen around on the Cintiq and the mouse will move.. over on my Air. Have to shut everything down and restart, oh there it is!

Turns out I have to do this every. Single. Time. My MacBook Air goes to sleep. So I get sick of it and go back to the slow old work iMac.

Flash forward to this week, I bring in my personal iMac to use. It's a 21.5 inch late 2012, 2.7GHz i5, 8GB of Ram, running OS X 10.11.4. Install the drivers, everything works perfectly all week, don't notice any problems. Then yesterday, suddenly I have the same problem as with my Air. If the screen saver turns on and my iMac goes to sleep, when I wake it, the Cintiq is totally borked. I get picture but again, the pen is just all over the damn place.

I've looked online but I can't find anything helpful, all the stuff I've seen is from either 2008 or back when Mavericks first came out.

Is there some way to keep this from happening? I know I should probably shut my computer down anyway at the end of the day, but it's really fucking annoying to go on lunch for an hour only to come back and have to reboot just to get the Cintiq pen to work, and sometimes even a full reboot doesn't fix the problem. I've tried switching USB ports on my iMac to varying degrees of success, sometimes it'll start working agin but once the computer falls asleep, done. Is there some issue with the Razor Thin iMac USB ports not working with Cintiq USB plugs? But that wouldn't explain why it happened on my Macbook Air... so I assume it has to be some kind of software problem?

Am I just really lucky or is this a known issue with a way to solve it? Thanks for any advice y'all ):

So I'm having a fun problem and I'm hoping one of the Tablet Masters of GAF can help me.

At work, I've been using a Cintiq 21UX with an older iMac that they supplied, no problems. Been using it for over a year now. A couple months ago, I brought in my MacBook Air so that I could use some of the software I had on there, downloaded the drivers, set everything up, hooray! I use the tablet all day, no problem, leave for work at night.

Come back the next morning, the tablet is not recognized my my computer. I go into Settings, it says there's no Cintiq. I get a picture on the Cintiq, but when I try to use the pen, it either doesn't respond at all, or the calibration is completely wonk - like the mouse will be on my Air and I'll wiggle the pen around on the Cintiq and the mouse will move.. over on my Air. Have to shut everything down and restart, oh there it is!

Turns out I have to do this every. Single. Time. My MacBook Air goes to sleep. So I get sick of it and go back to the slow old work iMac.

Flash forward to this week, I bring in my personal iMac to use. It's a 21.5 inch late 2012, 2.7GHz i5, 8GB of Ram, running OS X 10.11.4. Install the drivers, everything works perfectly all week, don't notice any problems. Then yesterday, suddenly I have the same problem as with my Air. If the screen saver turns on and my iMac goes to sleep, when I wake it, the Cintiq is totally borked. I get picture but again, the pen is just all over the damn place.

I've looked online but I can't find anything helpful, all the stuff I've seen is from either 2008 or back when Mavericks first came out.

Is there some way to keep this from happening? I know I should probably shut my computer down anyway at the end of the day, but it's really fucking annoying to go on lunch for an hour only to come back and have to reboot just to get the Cintiq pen to work, and sometimes even a full reboot doesn't fix the problem. I've tried switching USB ports on my iMac to varying degrees of success, sometimes it'll start working agin but once the computer falls asleep, done. Is there some issue with the Razor Thin iMac USB ports not working with Cintiq USB plugs? But that wouldn't explain why it happened on my Macbook Air... so I assume it has to be some kind of software problem?

Am I just really lucky or is this a known issue with a way to solve it? Thanks for any advice y'all ):

I heard some horror stories regarding Cintiq drivers and OSX. One of my old coworkers never used his 24HD on his desk becuase the IT department gave up making it work with his particular version of OSX.

I think you just need to make sure that the version of the Cintiq driver doesn't have issues with your version of OSX. All I can tell you. I don't use OSX. My Cintiq trouble shooting experience is purely on PCs.

damn, $500 bucks for a 22 inch HD display tablet? Sounds too good to be true.

Hardware wise these aren't bad, especially if the model uses UC-Logic pen, which is just as good as Wacom pens.

The only caviat is the software support. Often the Wintab driver doesn't have the software compatibility of the Wacom Wintab drivers.

Just research to make sure to see if your desired software works well with the tablet in question.

I heard some horror stories regarding Cintiq drivers and OSX. One of my old coworkers never used his 24HD on his desk becuase the IT department gave up making it work with his particular version of OSX.

I think you just need to make sure that the version of the Cintiq driver doesn't have issues with your version of OSX. All I can tell you. I don't use OSX. My Cintiq trouble shooting experience is purely on PCs.

Ugh that is so disheartening to hear. I've wanted my own Cintiq for YEARS and if buying one would result in these same problems, then fuck it, I don't want anything to do with that. I'm not gonna drop $2,000 on something that *might* work with my computers. What a massive disappointment.

Thank you for taking the time to respond though. Sorry I'm so bitchy, unsurprisingly I just spent almost 30 minutes trying to get my Cintiq to work again today so I'm just a bit grumpy.

I know you said your expertise is with PCs but have you at least heard of any other types of tablet displays that DO play well with OSX? Although I've long wanted a Cintiq if there's something out there that actually works I'm not married to the brand. I just want a screen I can plug in to my computer and draw in Photoshop and Flash with.

Maybe if I just boot into Windows on my iMac and leave it like that it'll actually work. -___-

Edit: Oh god Windows mode is awful and the version of Photoshop I have is so old and none of my brushes work just... just kill me now

Ugh that is so disheartening to hear. I've wanted my own Cintiq for YEARS and if buying one would result in these same problems, then fuck it, I don't want anything to do with that. I'm not gonna drop $2,000 on something that *might* work with my computers. What a massive disappointment.

Thank you for taking the time to respond though. Sorry I'm so bitchy, unsurprisingly I just spent almost 30 minutes trying to get my Cintiq to work again today so I'm just a bit grumpy.

I know you said your expertise is with PCs but have you at least heard of any other types of tablet displays that DO play well with OSX? Although I've long wanted a Cintiq if there's something out there that actually works I'm not married to the brand. I just want a screen I can plug in to my computer and draw in Photoshop and Flash with.

Maybe if I just boot into Windows on my iMac and leave it like that it'll actually work. -___-

Edit: Oh god Windows mode is awful and the version of Photoshop I have is so old and none of my brushes work just... just kill me now
Which version of Photoshop? I don't know if this sounds tin foil to anyone, but anything pre CC is NOT working well with Wacom drivers. I use to use CS6 fine for long time, but year or more ago, new Wacom drivers started acting up only with Photoshop. I would lose pressure sensitivity every few strokes. I chalked it up to Windows 10 issue, but later I found out that my friend with Windows 7 had same problems. Apparently this is a problem with anyone still not moved on to CC.

Now I'm on CC 2015 and no such problems. Works fine. It's almost as if Adobe paid off Wacom to ruin Photoshop for anything other than CC with their Wintab drivers...

Which version of Photoshop? I don't know if this sounds tin foil to anyone, but anything pre CC is NOT working well with Wacom drivers. I use to use CS6 fine for long time, but year or more ago, new Wacom drivers started acting up only with Photoshop. I would lose pressure sensitivity every few strokes. I chalked it up to Windows 10 issue, but later I found out that my friend with Windows 7 had same problems. Apparently this is a problem with anyone still not moved on to CC.

Now I'm on CC 2015 and no such problems. Works fine. It's almost as if Adobe paid off Wacom to ruin Photoshop for anything other than CC with their Wintab drivers...

When I run Windows on my iMac I have CS2 installed, it's just been so so long since I've run Windows Mode that I totally forgot how behind it is. It works as far as I can tell, it's just old and horrible because I'm so used to CS6, which is what I have on my iMac and what I used on the work iMac (that also never had any issues disconnecting from the Cintiq at all, I assume that it's what you said about OSX compatibility because I'm pretty sure the work iMac is several OS versions behind). Plus, all my brushes and presets are in CS6 as well. I'm also just a stubborn baby because everything at home and work is OSX and my iMac partition is Windows 7 and it's just... very difficult for me to go back to Windows and such an old version of Photoshop.

I know that getting Cintiq colors perfect can take a lot of tweaking but I never knew that even just using one could be so.. finicky? I assumed you just plugged it in and installed the drivers and it would at the very least work. Losing pen calibration every time it wakes from sleep and having to reboot multiple times and swap and jiggle USB ports just to get it to work is honestly a really frustrating pain in the ass, especially when I'm having to do it multiple times each day.

I think I'm gonna try that Monoprice tablet. Only $500, the reviews say it works with Photoshop CS6 and the latest version of OSX, apparently it also works with Flash and Manga Studio, so I'm set. My grandma passed away last year and I'm supposed to have a little inheritance money coming at some point, I was gonna buy a Cintiq but now I'm really not so sure. If they can't even keep up with OS compatibility that's kind of a deal breaker for me. ):

olympia

this is a review of a non-display tablet. just a regular graphics tablet:

i just want to say that i've been using a huion (one of the monoprice brands) for about 4 years (H610). the drivers are awful for OS X but i've also had shit luck with wacom drivers.

the problem is the pressure sensitivity. the huion tablet is good, don't get me wrong, especially for a starter tablet, but the pressure sensitivity is an utter joke and only becomes more irritating as time goes on. if you adjust it to be too sensitive, it "clicks" while the pen is hovering over the tablet, so you have to set the pressure sensitivity really low.

this also makes it so you have to have an more heavy grip on it and it will take a toll on your hand, AND it really takes it's toll on the stylus. the stylus comes apart with a threaded chamber for a battery. because of the kung-fu death grip i was using for years on it, the pen started cracking right where the threading is, so the pen would not stay together and i had to ductape it shut to both keep the pen together and the battery in place.

like, these tablets are fine if you're just getting used to photoshop and trying to get the hand-to-screen connection down when learning on a tablet, but i honestly wouldn't buy one again. it's better just to get a used intuos even though i hate wacom and i really wish they had more competition. just my two cents regarding the huion brand of tablets

WordAssassin, make sure in your research that the tablet's digitizer and pen is made by UC-Logic. Their pen pressure curve behavior is excellent. And also check that their OSX driver is decent. Then I think you'll enjoy that tablet quite a bit.

Yeah, going back to CS2 after CS6 is not a good experience. I can't even go back to CS6 after using CC 2015 for a while, and that's far less of a jump.

vio

Anyone has Galaxy Note 10.1 2014? They are about 200euros used. Can you do more serious stuff with it or just sketching?

Edit: kinda off topic, it's a deals thread. Sorry guys.

Ratrat

So the iPad Pro.... how serious is it for drawing? Could I have multiple 3000x4000 files open with 20 layers each? Hows the software? Is it easy to have backups and transfer files?

Im using a Sony Vaio duo 11 atm.

Anyone has Galaxy Note 10.1 2014? They are about 200euros used. Can you do more serious stuff with it or just sketching?

Edit: kinda off topic, it's a deals thread. Sorry guys.

I've seen people do finished work on it. But you can only use the Android apps available obviously. So best you have is Sketchbook Pro, Infinite Painter, MediBang Paint etc. So within the limitations of those apps, you can do whatever you want.

So the iPad Pro.... how serious is it for drawing? Could I have multiple 3000x4000 files open with 20 layers each? Hows the software? Is it easy to have backups and transfer files?

Im using a Sony Vaio duo 11 atm.

No, you can't have multiple of such files open. You can have one open no problem. As far as software, the best available is Procreate, which is incredibly capable. Way more capable than anything available on Android, and so much better than anything else on iOS.

Having said all that, even though the digitizer on the iPad Pro is much more advanced than the Duo Sense 1 in the VAIO Duo 11 (Duo Sense 2 in Surface Pro 3/4 and VAIO Z Canvas is huge improvement over Duo Sense 1), the capabilities of real PC with say 8GB of RAM and real file system is still much more substantial and flexible.

If I was someone who did semi pro and professional work on VAIO Duo 11, I would find iPad Pro's capabilities limiting (mostly due to limitations of iOS and 4GB of RAM). I would instead buy one of the new generation Windows tablets, especially one that uses Wacom AES instead of N-Trig so I have full software support from all legacy art apps on Windows.

If you want something a bit more tablet-y in form factor than VAIO Duo 11, check out the $600 deal for Lenovo Ideapad Miix 700 at Costco.com. It's a Surface Pro 3/4 clone that uses Wacom AES. You get Core M5-6Y54 (more powerful than Core i5 4300U in Surface Pro 3 while being fanless), 8GB of RAM, 128GB SSD (user upgradable), 3:2 retina IPS LCD and more. The only thing missing currently is Wacom driver support since it's too new. It's due in few months.

If you don't mind carrying around a bigger and heavier convertible than VAIO Duo 11, then head to Best Buy and pick up a Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 14 (20FY0002US). This is a 14" FHD IPS Wacom AES convertible (yoga 360 flip screen) with Core i5 6200U, 8GB of RAM (user upgradable to 16GB), 256GB SSD (User upgradable), and NVidia 940M GPU. It's one the best Penabled convertible bargains out there. It's my current daily driver. I have mine decked out with 16GB of RAM, 1.25TB SSD (2 drives!) and dual boot configuration. It's a beast.

One of my current daily drivers and Penabled mobile workstation bargain of the year has hit a new low price of $849.99 at Best Buy!

4456400_sd.jpg;canvasHeight=665;canvasWidth=1000

http://surfaceproartist.com/blog/20...lenovo-offers-up-two-price-performance-champs

This thing is super versatile and powerful. You can install 2 SATA 3 SSDs (I'm currently dual booting between the M.2 and 2.5" drives), jack the RAM up to 16GB yourself, and work on one of the biggest portable Penabled surface currently (14" FHD IPS). I love this thing. Did I mention it has a discrete NVidia 940M GPU? The Wacom Active ES pen works beautifully as well.

No other sub $1000 2 in 1 will let you do as much. I run Photoshop CC, Clip Studio Paint, Painter 2016, and Z Brush on this thing very nicely. Even with the base configuration, those software will not be a problem.

Go get it!

Spinluck

One of my current daily drivers and Penabled mobile workstation bargain of the year has hit a new low price of $849.99 at Best Buy!

4456400_sd.jpg;canvasHeight=665;canvasWidth=1000

http://surfaceproartist.com/blog/20...lenovo-offers-up-two-price-performance-champs

This thing is super versatile and powerful. You can install 2 SATA 3 SSDs (I'm currently dual booting between the M.2 and 2.5" drives), jack the RAM up to 16GB yourself, and work on one of the biggest portable Penabled surface currently (14" FHD IPS). I love this thing. Did I mention it has a discrete NVidia 940M GPU? The Wacom Active ES pen works beautifully as well.

No other sub $1000 2 in 1 will let you do as much. I run Photoshop CC, Clip Studio Paint, Painter 2016, and Z Brush on this thing very nicely. Even with the base configuration, those software will not be a problem.

Go get it!

This doesn't come with a pen correct?

This doesn't come with a pen correct?

This version comes with a silo pen, but I treat that pen as an emergency pen since it's too thin and delicate. Here are compatible pens for this that are much more substantial to hold and use (The Toshiba one has the best tip material feel, but is really hard to find):

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/itemdetails/4X80H34887/460/41E9A3C3FB5A45A9AC47C56812E4188C#4X80H34887

https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/TOSHIBA-DYNAPAD-TRUPEN/4035151.aspx

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Dell-Ac...795653?hash=item2eee32b305:g:ILMAAOSwd3dXFiyw

Are you tempted by the Cube i7 Stylus for $300~350 but not sure about buying something from China and dealing with reinstalling Windows to get proper English UI going? And maybe 10.6" is a bit on the small side and 64GB SSD is too little?

Well if you are willing to throw in another Benjamin, you can score a brand new HP Elite X2 1011 11.6" Broadwell Core M slate for $399 from PC Mall! This sucker has 128GB SSD and 4GB of RAM, 11.6" 1920x1080 IPS LCD, and Wacom EMR digitizer. Pen is super thin silo unit, but any Wacom Penabled EMR unit will work, such as this Fujitsu stylus.

13405359_xxlg_0.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFU5LGUp_pY

This thing was $999 when it was new in market last year. Now $399 is a shit hot deal for a brand new unit!

Spinluck

This version comes with a silo pen, but I treat that pen as an emergency pen since it's too thin and delicate. Here are compatible pens for this that are much more substantial to hold and use (The Toshiba one has the best tip material feel, but is really hard to find):

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/itemdetails/4X80H34887/460/41E9A3C3FB5A45A9AC47C56812E4188C#4X80H34887

https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/TOSHIBA-DYNAPAD-TRUPEN/4035151.aspx

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Dell-Ac...795653?hash=item2eee32b305:g:ILMAAOSwd3dXFiyw

You're killing me with that tablet--so tempting, but I think I might just wait for another sale on the SP3-SP4.

If I do a clean install on the yoga 14, I can just go online for the Wacom drivers correct? I don't wanna fuck anything up.

You're killing me with that tablet--so tempting, but I think I might just wait for another sale on the SP3-SP4.

If I do a clean install on the yoga 14, I can just go online for the Wacom drivers correct? I don't wanna fuck anything up.
Lenovo is good with providing all drivers. All necessary drivers in their support site.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I'm currently doing all of my artwork for my comic projects on a Surface Pro 1. I'm looking to upgrade my tablet, as I just want some extra processing power. Any decently affordable recommendations for me?

I'm up for anything $1,000 and under, personally. I love my Surface, and I'm surprised at how well it's served me during the year of producing my comic series, but now that I've wrapped that up and plan on moving on to a new project, I want some more horsepower!

I'm looking into getting a Surface Pro 4 with middling specs very soon; are there any good deals out there, Gaf?

It's hard for me to recommend Surface Pro 4 for $1200+ (say if you wany 8GB of RAM) when you can buy the Miix 700 for $550. For fuck sake, that's less than half the price for 8GB RAM config! Sure SP4 is a bit better built and uses more expensive materials and parts like PCIe SSD, but they are so close in quality and functionality plus Miix uses Wacom instead of N-Trig...

I don't know what to tell ya. The biggest sale I've seen on SP4 is the $100 off sale at MS Store, but now they are back to the regular price and doing some stupid bundle involving the dock.

If you simply must have Surface Pro 4 and don't want a Core M device, then I guess that's that, but otherwise jump on that Costco.com Miix 700 deal. It's RIDICULOUS.

I'm currently doing all of my artwork for my comic projects on a Surface Pro 1. I'm looking to upgrade my tablet, as I just want some extra processing power. Any decently affordable recommendations for me?

I'm up for anything $1,000 and under, personally. I love my Surface, and I'm surprised at how well it's served me during the year of producing my comic series, but now that I've wrapped that up and plan on moving on to a new project, I want some more horsepower!

I think almost same goes for you buddy. I'm assuming you want something that is not huge and heavy like the Thinkpad Yoga 14.

Your Core i5 3317U does 3088 on Passmark. Core M7-6Y54 does 3714 on Passmark. Costco sells Core M7, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD version for $800.

http://www.costco.com/Lenovo-Miix-7...-|-Office-365-Personal.product.100229657.html

Next step up in power for your budget is SP4 Core i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD for $999. Core i5 6200U for SP4 does 3903 on Passmark.

It's hard for me to recommend Surface Pro 4 for $1200+ (say if you wany 8GB of RAM) when you can buy the Miix 700 for $550. For fuck sake, that's less than half the price for 8GB RAM config! Sure SP4 is a bit better built and uses more expensive materials and parts, but they are so close in quality and functionality plus Miix uses Wacom instead of N-Trig...

I don't know what to tell ya. The biggest sale I've seen on SP4 is the $100 off sale at MS Store, but now they are back to the regular price and doing some stupid bundle involving the dock.

If you simply must have Surface Pro 4 and don't want a Core M device, then I guess that's that, but otherwise jump on that Costco.com Miix 700 deal above. It's RIDICULOUS.

I'm about to jump on the SP4 i5 128/4GB because I found a good deal for it (SP4 + Type Cover, 1000€ bucks instead of 1249, tip kit for 9.99, too). Sadly, the Miix 700 costs the same as the SP4 here, so no insane deals like that in Europe.

I'm only a bit hesitant, because it's almost May and a SP5 with a better pen (less lag) might not be that far away. I'd use it mostly for note taking and a little sketching, so I'm not sure how much of an impact the higher refresh rate would be.

Archpath1

dang some good stuff

very tempted, but still deciding if i should just get a new desktop instead.

being able to edit work,do some designs, and such while i'm out at the university on down time is nice.

hmmm

I'm about to jump on the SP4 i5 128/4GB because I found a good deal for it (SP4 + Type Cover, 1000€ bucks instead of 1249, tip kit for 9.99, too). Sadly, the Miix 700 costs the same as the SP4 here, so no insane deals like that in Europe.

I'm only a bit hesitant, because it's almost May and a SP5 with a better pen (less lag) might not be that far away. I'd use it mostly for note taking and a little sketching, so I'm not sure how much of an impact the higher refresh rate would be.

Lag is not something I'd complain about the N-Trig. There is practically no lag. Lag is now only product of too big of a brush or lack of processing power. The Pen hardware now days produces no lag. If you see lag now, it's inefficient software or your CPU choking. Also, if you see stupid videos showing SP4 lagging on Photoshop, tell them to put the damn thing on Performance mode so the GPU is not downclocked for battery savings.

What N-Trig does have to improve on is Initial Detection Force (or IDF) and digitizer grid resolution. But definitely not lag.

BTW, new "pen" has already been announced for all Surfaces past present and future: Wacom will be building a cross platform pen for both Wacom devices and N-Trig devices this holiday. That will take care of the IDF issue on all N-Trig Surfaces.

Lag is not something I'd complain about the N-Trig. There is practically no lag. Lag is now only product of too big of a brush or lack of processing power. The Pen hardware now days produces no lag. If you see lag now, it's inefficient software or your CPU choking. Also, if you see stupid videos showing SP4 lagging on Photoshop, tell them to put the damn thing on Performance mode so the GPU is not downclocked for battery savings.

What N-Trig does have to improve on is Initial Detection Force (or IDF) and digitizer grid resolution. But definitely not lag.

BTW, new "pen" has already been announced for all Surfaces past present and future: Wacom will be building a cross platform pen for both Wacom devices and N-Trig devices this holiday. That will take care of the IDF issue on all N-Trig Surfaces.

Thank you for the quick response! Sounds pretty good. The 256/8GB is on sale as well (1300 + TC), but the premium for storage and ram seems too high.

I saw the Wacom news at Build, but I wasn't sure if they had backwards compatibility in mind. I guess now I just need to push myself a little to actually buy it (because got the money, but I don't really, really need it).

We might have better computer prices in US but you guys have free healthcare in Europe. We are the ones getting screwed if you ask me.

We might have better computer prices in US but you guys have free healthcare in Europe. We are the ones getting screwed if you ask me.

Our prices include taxes, too.

But hey, who needs healthcare, when you got the really important things in life, like cheap gadgets?

I'm not really complaining, but the Miix 700 seems like an insane deal

Shog, I do some drawing on this - HP Spectre x360 with a Dell Active Stylus. I'm only a casual artist using Manga Studio, so I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading to one of these cheap tablet models you keep mentioning, or sticking with what I got.

If you don't have any art app software compatibility issues with the Synaptics pen and digitizer (Manga Studio 5 uses MS API so no problem), you won't notice much difference AS LONG AS YOU USE THE BEST SYNAPTICS PEN AVAILABLE for it. That means Dell's newer Synaptics pen, not HP's own pen for the Spectre X360.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un1hlfSdOOE

I'm pretty sure this is the one:
http://accessories.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=750-AAGN#Overview

Saraluna

Neo Member
It's hard for me to recommend Surface Pro 4 for $1200+ (say if you wany 8GB of RAM) when you can buy the Miix 700 for $550. For fuck sake, that's less than half the price for 8GB RAM config! Sure SP4 is a bit better built and uses more expensive materials and parts like PCIe SSD, but they are so close in quality and functionality plus Miix uses Wacom instead of N-Trig...

If you simply must have Surface Pro 4 and don't want a Core M device, then I guess that's that, but otherwise jump on that Costco.com Miix 700 deal. It's RIDICULOUS.

Could you elaborate on the differences between the Wacom and N-Trig?

Could you elaborate on the differences between the Wacom and N-Trig?

Wacom and N-Trig both offer projected capacitive based active pen/digitizer. N-Trig calls theirs Duo Sense 2 (SP3, SP4, Surface Book, VAIO Z Canvas), Wacom calls theirs Active Electro Static or Active ES (Thinkpad Yoga 14, Miix 700, HP Spectre X2 12 etc...).

They both work largely the same: Use capacitive touch screen for positional polling data at high speed (>120Hz) via powered pen, use a load cell pressure sensor tip assembly on the pen for pressure data, communicate with the computer via projected cap screen without any additional protocol such as BT.

The physical performance difference between the two is the pressure load sensor, but not in the amount of the pressure they can sense, since this can be artificially be jacked up to whatever number you want (currently Wacom allows ODMs to set theirs up to 2048 levels. N-Trig caps it at 1024 levels). The real difference is how much pressure does it take to initiate the sensor to engage (Initial Detection Force or IDF). Lower is better, Wacom is very low, and is proud to advertise this: 1 gram. N-trig knows their is not as good, so they do not advertise the number, so I can only guess, but I know it's higher than 3 grams. Probably around 5 or so.

Also important difference (for now), is the software support for the pressure. Wacom has been at this for very long time and just about every damn art software out there supports their Wintab driver. If you have an old legacy app or quirky less known app, you want to go with Wacom to ensure that pressure is properly supported. The only software that I know supports N-Trig better than Wacom is Microsoft's own Fresh Paint, but that's because the original devs quit and it now supports neither pens well at all. Anyways, until the new universal Realtime Stylus (MS) API is supported by all legacy software (still far from the case), Wacom will have this software edge over all other pen tech.

My iPad 3 was passed its prime so I went for the12.9 inch Pro and grabbed a pencil to go with it. I don't think I'll ever draw on paper again. I'm not a great artist. Literally starting from zero, but messing with colors feels amazing on a tablet.

Are you a fucking size queen like I am? I am a total size whore when it comes to drawing surface. If you are also someone who needs the biggest flat drawing area that a mobile device can provide, then here's my new discovery to the rescue.

Dell Inspiron is a 15.6" 2 in 1 convertible with anything from a low end Pentium to a Core i7 6700U option. You can have either 1920x1080 or 3840x2160 touchscreen IPS, but only the 1920x1080 version has Wacom AES digitizer.

4454113_sd.jpg

Your local Best Buy will sell you a Core i5 6200U, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD version with the said Wacom full HD IPS screen for $650.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFq5UnxuG24

Yes, it is sold with a shitty spinning platter, but do not fret; it is quite easy to crack this model open to replace the HDD and the RAM. You can easily upgrade this mofo with 16GB of RAM and 500GB SATA III SSD for say $300 more. If you are OK with 8GB of RAM, then just stick in a 256GB SSD for $80 and compute like it's 2016.

EDIT: Dell sells Core i5 6200U, 8GB RAM, and with 256GB SSD for $100 more.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-15-7568-laptop/pd?oc=dncwa005s&l=en&s=dhs

WillyFive

1080p is really low res for a screen that massive. The Surface 3 screen is fuzzy enough and that's on a much smaller display with a higher resolution.

1080p is really low res for a screen that massive. The Surface 3 screen is fuzzy enough and that's on a much smaller display with a higher resolution.

LOL, then all those Cintiq 22HD users would have committed suicide by now due to spending $2000+ on a 1080p 22" screen (100 DPI). Hell, even the new $3500 Cintiq 27QHD sucks then, with 109 DPI. This Dell has 141 DPI. It's plenty fine.

1080p on 15.6" is actually perfect for 2D content creation. Photoshop doesn't need to be in that awful 200% UI mode and all software looks and works great. And you can leave Windows on 100% scaling and be perfectly fine.

Don't be a retina-tard yo. Being able to make out pixels up close doesn't trump a good Windows usage scenario.

My sister is just getting started with her graphic design and has been looking at laptops for Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, etc. Currently she has a 3-4 year old laptop with an entry-level crappy Waom so I thought I might ask about tablets like these as well.

What would be a good tablet around AUD$1500 which would easily run the standard graphic design/digital art applications? She is used to PC but would be open to a Mac I'm sure since I think that's what everyone uses anyway.

Australian retailers would be:

https://www.pccasegear.com/category/1538/laptops-tablets
http://www.harveynorman.com.au/computers-tablets
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/tablets/
https://www.kogan.com/au/shop/tablets-laptops/

My sister is just getting started with her graphic design and has been looking at laptops for Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, etc. Currently she has a 3-4 year old laptop with an entry-level crappy Waom so I thought I might ask about tablets like these as well.

What would be a good tablet around AUD$1500 which would easily run the standard graphic design/digital art applications? She is used to PC but would be open to a Mac I'm sure since I think that's what everyone uses anyway.

Australian retailers would be:

https://www.pccasegear.com/category/1538/laptops-tablets
http://www.harveynorman.com.au/computers-tablets
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/tablets/
https://www.kogan.com/au/shop/tablets-laptops/

Sure. Why get a PC that you can draw on the screen with when you can get a Mac and have to lug around a Wacom tablet with it. Makes sense to me. yeesh.

That Dell above is more than fine after an SSD upgrade for all things 2D art education. Dell sells in Austrailia I'm sure. Here's one already with SSD for less than $1300 AU.

http://www.dell.com/au/business/p/i...u&model_id=inspiron-15-7568-laptop&l=en&s=bsd

You also need this pen:

http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=au&l=en&s=bsd&cs=aubsd1&sku=750-AANP

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Are you a fucking size queen like I am? I am a total size whore when it comes to drawing surface. If you are also someone who needs the biggest flat drawing area that a mobile device can provide, then here's my new discovery to the rescue.

Dell Inspiron is a 15.6" 2 in 1 convertible with anything from a low end Pentium to a Core i7 6700U option. You can have either 1920x1080 or 3840x2160 touchscreen IPS, but only the 1920x1080 version has Wacom AES digitizer.

4454113_sd.jpg

Your local Best Buy will sell you a Core i5 6200U, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD version with the said Wacom full HD IPS screen for $650.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFq5UnxuG24

Yes, it is sold with a shitty spinning platter, but do not fret; it is quite easy to crack this model open to replace the HDD and the RAM. You can easily upgrade this mofo with 16GB of RAM and 500GB SATA III SSD for say $300 more. If you are OK with 8GB of RAM, then just stick in a 256GB SSD for $80 and compute like it's 2016.

Looks amazing, but I do have a couple of questions as a Surface Pro 2 owner.

1) Would the Bamboo Feel pen I have work with this too?
2) Any word on battery life?

Vivotab note 8 crapped out on me. Love the machine, but this is the fifth time I've sent it for RMA.

Looking for a comparable maybe a slight upgrade. Looking for something that runs windows, preferably EMR, $350 or under would be ideal.

Do you guys know anything that fits the profile?

Top Bottom