• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tablets for Art (Surface, Yoga, iPad Pro etc.) Deals Thread [to be updated regularly]

Yes

59C50315-8CE5-402E-AA1F-EE3C911F191A.png
Glorious! I used to oil paint but I've moved around so much and no longer live alone and I'm looking for a way to learn digital drawing and painting that isn't too intimidating.

I tried out a Surface Book and it was a nightmare. Windows 10 kept popping up and asking for things, the pen wouldn't respond predictably (Paint just stopped registering drawing lines without pressing the barrel button for no reason), etc. maybe it was just the programs I was using (Paint and their other installed painting program). Maybe it would work better with other programs, but I want simple and intuitive, at least at first.

There's no Scrivener iOS yet, but the Beta is out and a version 1.0 should be forthcoming. In the meantime, I can type in another program and cut and paste and email stuff to plunk down in Scrivener Mac.

VoxPop

If you want to consolidate to one device, you really only have one choice, which is a 2 in 1 running Windows. That device will let you draw in Photoshop, Illustrator, Clip Studio Paint, whatever you want practically, on the screen.

iPad Pro is great if you don't care about Photoshop, Illustrator, or any of the pro apps and are perfectly happy with Procreate. That doesn't sound like you.

iPad Pro will let you connect to a Mac via wireless or USB cable and use it like a Cintiq via app called Astropad, but it's not ideal. The resolution of mirrored area from the Mac is limited, you can't use native resolution on the iPad, and there are image refresh delays that have to be compensated for.

As for Apple Pencil vs Wacom AES, I give Apple Pencil the edge on digitizer resolution and tilt ability. Wacom AES gets the edge on flexibility (i.e. barrel buttons), and software support via the Wintab driver. They both have similar Initial detection force. But iPad Pro doesn't have cursor due to iOS limitations so if you like that from using Intuos, iPad Pro might feel bit awkward to use when painting.

Also, Apple decided to do some things with Apple Pencil that disregards how Wacom has done things for last 20+ years, so if you are use to using Wacom, you might have hard time adjusting to how Apple allows devs to map some the brush pressure curve. I had hard time getting decent drawings out with the Apple Pencil for this reason. I'm too use to Wacom's pressure curve mapping.

Thanks for all the info! It seems like the Surface Pro is ideal for me. Just trying to decide if I will need the 8GB RAM or not.

Tosyn_88

The new ipad pro is great for drawing but you cannot import psd. Tiff. Files from works previously created on the pc except there's something I'm doing wrongv

Glorious! I used to oil paint but I've moved around so much and no longer live alone and I'm looking for a way to learn digital drawing and painting that isn't too intimidating.

I tried out a Surface Book and it was a nightmare. Windows 10 kept popping up and asking for things, the pen wouldn't respond predictably (Paint just stopped registering drawing lines without pressing the barrel button for no reason), etc. maybe it was just the programs I was using (Paint and their other installed painting program). Maybe it would work better with other programs, but I want simple and intuitive, at least at first.

There's no Scrivener iOS yet, but the Beta is out and a version 1.0 should be forthcoming. In the meantime, I can type in another program and cut and paste and email stuff to plunk down in Scrivener Mac.

MS Paint? Seriously bro?

Windows doesn't behave better when using Photoshop or Clip Studio either though. It's a bad OS for a tablet.

Am I using special Windows that no one else has or something? Photoshop and Clip Studio Paint woks great with touch screen and pen on Windows.

Stop trying to use these 2 i 1s like a dumb tablet. Use them like Windows/OSX ultrabooks with touch capability that you can draw on.

Your mistake is forcing your tablet paradigm on to everything with a touch screen. You aren't supposed to use these things in your arms like a 10" tablet, and you use these things with their strengths, not dwelling only on their weaknesses.

BTW iPad Pro will be an ideal device for you. You should go with that. But also know that iPad Pro is too limited for most artists that do art for a living. I would kill myself if I only had iPad Pro as my device choice.

MS Paint? Seriously bro?
That's what they had available to demo. They didn't have Illustrator or any of the big apps on the device. I was demoing to figure out if trying to use the device was going to be a frustrating bag of pain that would do more to get in the way of creating than to foster it - and it was.

Am I using special Windows that no one else has or something? Photoshop and Clip Studio Paint woks great with touch screen and pen on Windows.

Stop trying to use these 2 i 1s like a dumb tablet. Use them like Windows/OSX ultrabooks with touch capability that you can draw on.

Your mistake is forcing your tablet paradigm on to everything with a touch screen. You aren't supposed to use these things in your arms like a 10" tablet, and you use these things with their strengths, not dwelling only on their weaknesses.

BTW iPad Pro will be an ideal device for you. You should go with that. But also know that iPad Pro is too limited for most artists that do art for a living. I would kill myself if I only had iPad Pro as my device choice.
Unless you use it as a drawing pad connected to a Mac? Latency issues aside, if you can do that, I don't see what the big drawback is.

I mainly use Sketchbook Pro and Windows 10 works fine, both on my SP4 and on my Dell laptop with an Intuos sketchpad. Windows 10 has issues with some applications, particularly with UI scaling, but every drawing program I've used works fine, even when using it only as a tablet. These days I prefer drawing on my SP4 without the keyboard attached, I don't even switch it to tablet mode and it works fine.

That's what they had available to demo. They didn't have Illustrator or any of the big apps on the device. I was demoing to figure out if trying to use the device was going to be a frustrating bag of pain that would do more to get in the way of creating than to foster it - and it was.

Are you trying these out in the store? What I found was that most demo units let the batteries in the pens die or don't properly set up the demo units. You can set the preferences on Windows 10 to not pop up requests constantly but most stores don't bother to do that, and pen sensitivity is often out of whack on demo units. I bought my SP4 at a Microsoft Store, which had like 10 SP4s and SBs on display, and the first two I tried had dead pens. You'd think that at the MS Store at least they'd be on top of that. If you have a friend with one that would be a better place to try it out.

You can always use Windows Journal (Cortana search it to find it) to test pen pressure curve behavior. Just make sure to checkmark pressure box in pen options.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFq5UnxuG24

Journal unfortunately does not accept multitouch so no pinch and zoom etc..

Anyways, using Paint to discern pen behavior would be more than problematic since Paint does not support pressure sensitivity at all.

Sometimes these machines will have Fresh Paint installed on it. The app does not have best pressure curve behavior but it does have multitouch UI.

Unless you use it as a drawing pad connected to a Mac? Latency issues aside, if you can do that, I don't see what the big drawback is.

Drawbacks are none native resolution image on iPad Pro (quad pumped pixels IIRC), and limited canvas area mapped from the Mac. You basically get a 1024x768 window copied from the Mac desktop.

Until iPad Pro upgrades to USB 3.1 connection for the lightening port, this will be the case.

It's not as cheap as the last Gen Elite X2 1011, but the HP Pavilion X2 12 comes with the clever magnetic keyboard dock that turns it into a proper 12" laptop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViQeFaEhjEQ

hp-pavilion-x2-12_multiple-modes-2-1200x0.jpg

It's works with Wacom AES pen (optional), has Skylake Core M3, 4GB RAM, and 128GB SATA III SSD. Now Amazon is selling the package, which includes the KB dock, but not the pen for $539.99. This is the cheapest way to get a Core M 12" convertible that comes with a KB dock.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AJTHR48/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I don't think palm block/detection is working on my Thinkpad Yoga 14.

Wacom AES (Active Electro Static) is susceptible to noisy wall plugs or static electricity. I get more palm rejection errors when I'm plugged into wall socket (old house, leaky noisy power). I also makes sure I'm discharged of static when I get these errors.

Also, make sure you have the newer Lenovo Pen Pro (AAAA battery). It has bigger hover distance than the previous AES pen.

Spinluck

Wacom AES (Active Electro Static) is susceptible to noisy wall plugs or static electricity. I get more palm rejection errors when I'm plugged into wall socket (old house, leaky noisy power). I also makes sure I'm discharged of static when I get these errors.

Also, make sure you have the newer Lenovo Pen Pro (AAAA battery). It has bigger hover distance than the previous AES pen.

I'm actually using the Toshiba Trupen, and I'll try what you suggested. Thanks.

I'm looking at getting a Surface Pro 3. want to get back into webcomics again and the days of scanning and clean up just takes too much time.

Of all the devices, I can run the programs I need. Alot of the Wacom knockoffs seem to be riddled with driver issues after a few weeks of use and I can't afford a Wacom tablet right now.

I'm looking at getting a Surface Pro 3. want to get back into webcomics again and the days of scanning and clean up just takes too much time.

Of all the devices, I can run the programs I need. Alot of the Wacom knockoffs seem to be riddled with driver issues after a few weeks of use and I can't afford a Wacom tablet right now.

If you are OK with using Surface Pro 3 (N-Trig), why don't you look at similar 2 in 1 devices I posted all over this thread (Wacom, N-Trig)? Some of them are low as $360, still just as capable as SP3.

If you are OK with using Surface Pro 3 (N-Trig), why don't you look at similar 2 in 1 devices I posted all over this thread (Wacom, N-Trig)? Some of them are low as $360, still just as capable as SP3.

Thanks for the suggestions. Before this thread I never even heard of the difference between the Wacom style (SP 1/2) and the current N-Trig pen styles. Seems for webcomics, drawing over sketch lines will be my biggest concern and N-Trig from reading stuff on Reddit and other sources tends to "jitter" when trying to draw slow lines.

I'm worried that if I go with a Surface Pro 2, there won't be support on it after a few years. Don't want to feel like I'm going with the windows XP of tablets.

Thanks for the suggestions. Before this thread I never even heard of the difference between the Wacom style (SP 1/2) and the current N-Trig pen styles. Seems for webcomics, drawing over sketch lines will be my biggest concern and N-Trig from reading stuff on Reddit and other sources tends to "jitter" when trying to draw slow lines.

I'm worried that if I go with a Surface Pro 2, there won't be support on it after a few years. Don't want to feel like I'm going with the windows XP of tablets.

Wacom, N-trig, they both jitter when drawing diagonal lines slowly. If you draw too slowly, you will need to learn to make faster strokes. Also helps to use software that has extensive stabilization to compensate for the jitter.

Also, Surface Pro 2 is too old, small and heavy. Go for the HP Elite X2 1011 few posts earlier. It has longer battery life, similar CPU power, and cheaper to boot.

PSY・S;203712180 said:
A surface book with UC-Logic and tilt is the dream. Too bad it'll never happen.

How about Surface Book with Wacom AES pen with tilt? That's the multi protocol pen Wacom is working on for MS and other N-Trig panel device ODMs.

WacomNGfeel_zpsqourd0ck.png~original

Loxley

Hey thanks for keeping this thread updated Shogmaster, I'll be in the market for a tablet by the end of this year and this will definitely come in handy.

Hey thanks for keeping this thread updated Shogmaster, I'll be in the market for a tablet by the end of this year and this will definitely come in handy.

Welcome and I will certainly do my best to keep it going.

Dangit and here I was ready to pull the trigger on the Yoga 14 D:

This pen supposedly works with current tablets, according to the wording in the MS press release.

They are likely adding a second emitter in the pen to allow for tilt sensing, as in the Apple Pencil (different method than how Wacom EMR boards sense tilt with Intuos Pro and Cintiq pens). Current touch boards should be able to detect that with a firmware update.

SuoGrey

Welcome and I will certainly do my best to keep it going.

This pen supposedly works with current tablets, according to the wording in the MS press release.

They are likely adding a second emitter in the pen to allow for tilt sensing, as in the Apple Pencil (different method than how Wacom EMR boards sense tilt with Intuos Pro and Cintiq pens). Current touch boards should be able to detect that with a firmware update.

Dude if that's the case that is great news! Thanks for all your hard work man these are some epic times we live in with so many options available!

Ran rp

How about Surface Book with Wacom AES pen with tilt? That's the multi protocol pen Wacom is working on for MS and other N-Trig panel device ODMs.

:O

how many tablets should be compatible? most or a select few? being able to use the pen with any recent tablet would be crazy perfect.

PSY・S;203799763 said:
:O

how many tablets should be compatible? most or a select few? being able to use the pen with any recent tablet would be crazy perfect.
When they say "variety of touch panels", they mean those that already support active pen.

My guess is anything projected capacitive touch based that has active pen compatibility from Wacom and N-Trig should theoretically work. That includes N-Trig Duo Sense 2 and Wacom AES devices. Basically almost everything I'm personally posting in this thread except for Wacom EMR based devices (like last gen HP Elite X2 1011).

Spinluck

b0eXj.gif

Dangit and here I was ready to pull the trigger on the Yoga 14 D:

Your patience is probably better than mine, and I'm not sure what your budget is.

But I highly recommend the Yoga 14. I got the newer 2015 model for $850 and love it, works great for the most part.

If you can wait till Q4 more power to ya.

SuoGrey

b0eXj.gif

Your patience is probably better than mine, and I'm not sure what your budget is.

But I highly recommend the Yoga 14. I got the newer 2015 model for $850 and love it, works great for the most part.

If you can wait till Q4 more power to ya.

Yea I am prolly just gonna pick up a ipad pro for now and see what Q4 holds laptop wise with this new pen tech since I already have a desktop setup with a Cintiq.

Yea I am prolly just gonna pick up a ipad pro for now and see what Q4 holds laptop wise with this new pen tech since I already have a desktop setup with a Cintiq.

iPad Pros needs updates badly. 9.7 needs 4GB of RAM, and both 9.7 and 12.9 needs USB 3.1 for the lightening connector. USB 2.0 currently prevents native res Astropad second monitor ability.

If I was in a market for iPad Pro as an artist, I would be pissed when next year versions have this important improvements and my current model doesn't.

SuoGrey

iPad Pros needs updates badly. 9.7 needs 4GB of RAM, and both 9.7 and 12.9 needs USB 3.1 for the lightening connector. USB 2.0 currently prevents native res Astropad second monitor ability.

If I was in a market for iPad Pro as an artist, I would be pissed when next year versions have this important improvements and my current model doesn't.

I feel you that's kinda the thing you expect with Apple products. In all honesty I just want something I can draw on and feels smooth as butter. While its nice to have this feature or that feature in the end all I will be doing is listening to music and drawing on the thing so I appreciate the size of the screen and portability of it and I'm not 100% they will release another 12.9 inch tablet since this ipad seems to have caught so much crap from casual ipad users for being too big.

Also it seems like Wacom has some work to do with AES. The whole thing with the charger interfering with palm rejection and pen stability. I don't know if it's Wacom or the laptop manufacturers but I really just want the pen to work the way its supposed to you know.

I feel you that's kinda the thing you expect with Apple products. In all honesty I just want something I can draw on and feels smooth as butter. While its nice to have this feature or that feature in the end all I will be doing is listening to music and drawing on the thing so I appreciate the size of the screen and portability of it and I'm not 100% they will release another 12.9 inch tablet since this ipad seems to have caught so much crap from casual ipad users for being too big.

Also it seems like Wacom has some work to do with AES. The whole thing with the charger interfering with palm rejection and pen stability. I don't know if it's Wacom or the laptop manufacturers but I really just want the pen to work the way its supposed to you know.

Static interference is not limited to Wacom AES. N-Trig and Apple also suffer from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8ZPKNgjsnQ

It's the nature of these projected capacitive based pen digitizers. Not as reliable for palm rejection since both pen and touch rely on the same digitizer panel. Wacom EMR devices uses two separate digitizers for pen and touch, so there is no confusion which is being used.

Fortunately, software will help mitigate the problem. That iPad Pro palm rejection error video was early version of software. Wacom's AES drivers are not as mature as EMR drivers, thus they will improve palm rejection by improving the software. The hardware is as good as it gets for these types of digitizers.

SuoGrey

Static interference is not limited to Wacom AES. N-Trig and Apple also suffer from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8ZPKNgjsnQ

It's the nature of these projected capacitive based pen digitizers. Not as reliable for palm rejection since both pen and touch rely on the same digitizer panel. Wacom EMR devices uses two separate digitizers for pen and touch, so there is no confusion which is being used.

Fortunately, software will help mitigate the problem. That iPad Pro palm rejection error video was early version of software. Wacom's AES drivers are not as mature as EMR drivers, thus they will improve palm rejection by improving the software. The hardware is as good as it gets for these types of digitizers.

Interesting to say the least, looks like I am back to stage 1 haha thanks for the heads up seems like the best choice is to actually wait until all the bugs are worked out of both devices o_O

UK here. I have seen a Surface Pro(?) 3 w/ pen on sale used for £540. Is there anything else I could grab for that sort of money that would work better as a drawing tablet and PS machine?

UK here. I have seen a Surface Pro(?) 3 w/ pen on sale used for £540. Is there anything else I could grab for that sort of money that would work better as a drawing tablet and PS machine?

I'm sorry but I'm just not familiar with UK prices.

Plugged my intuos pro into a chromebook today, to my surprise it works..ish. No pressure sensitivity in the web app(http://intelloware.com/art/ , https://sketch.io/sketchpad/), but maybe with android apps coming soon to chromebook's it will be supported. Wireless and wired worked. Finger sensitivity is really low in wireless for some reason.

That web app did not conform to Wacom Wintab driver to give pen pressure on my Windows tablet PC so I'm not sure under what parameters (if at all) it would provide pressure sensitivity...

If Chrome OS uses the same pen API as Android, it should give you pressure and tilt support on Android art apps that supports both.

I'm sorry but I'm just not familiar with UK prices.

It's being sold for about $650.

I'm comparing it to a few other drawing tablets right now and my thought is that you're getting a drawing tablet that is its own machine for the same price as, say, a Wacom 12" Cintiq.

It's being sold for about $650.

I'm comparing it to a few other drawing tablets right now and my thought is that you're getting a drawing tablet that is its own machine for the same price as, say, a Wacom 12" Cintiq.

That sounds like good reasoning. Here in US, you can get a new 12" device for less than that. I just don't know the price landscape there.

Ive been working my new miix 700 and enjoying it but uhh how do you get around not using shortkeys?

You can use app that gives you touch shortcuts overlay like RadialMenu. Or get a BT mini keyboard. Or use apps like TouchMe Jesture Studio.

But I usually use Miix 700 in portrait mode with keyboard attached and use the keys sideways.

Plucked up the reserves to buy that SP3. They had sold it mere hours before when I went in. 😭

Fortunately CEX has the 128gb ver on their site for £440. Which is bonkers, putting it mildly. That is about the price of a Chinese-brand Cintiq clone.

Does anyone have any perspective on using a SP as a digital painting tablet? Or is it really just a sketchbook workhorse? I do a lot of sketches right now but I really want to be able to make complete digital art in a fun portable way.

Plucked up the reserves to buy that SP3. They had sold it mere hours before when I went in. 😭

Fortunately CEX has the 128gb ver on their site for £440. Which is bonkers, putting it mildly. That is about the price of a Chinese-brand Cintiq clone.

Does anyone have any perspective on using a SP as a digital painting tablet? Or is it really just a sketchbook workhorse? I do a lot of sketches right now but I really want to be able to make complete digital art in a fun portable way.

The Core i3 version will struggle more with bigger canvas and lots of layers. Core i5 with 8GB of RAM should be fine for most of your needs. That 4020Y in the Core i3 SP3 is really capped at the knees. The multicore score is only about 10% better than X7 Atoms. Single thread performance is much better than the Atom, but that 1.5GHz max clock really hurts it.

But I also struggle with powerful 12" tablets doing bigger pieces because I need to spread out more. Higher resolution isn't necessary as much as physical real estate IMO. That's why those 14" and 15" convertibles feel better for more serious work personally.

I keep the 15" 5 lbs convertible at home (Dell Inspiron 15 7568), and carry around the 12" 1.7 lbs tablet to sketch or just to start the more involved work (Lenovo Ideapad Miix 700).

Well, the Miix is twice the price of the preowned SP3 I am contemplating. Only issue with the £440 one is that it is the i5/4gb/128gb one. 4gb in PS is mostly enough and it is hard to stomach an extra £100 for just for more RAM and storage. :/

I think ultimately I will be going for the SP3, just because of the bang for buck is so much higher going for a solid preowned device, especially in the UK.

EDIT: I am now the happy owner of an SP3. I now have to get it updated to Windows 10 and do a bunch of tests. I quickly installed Medibang Paint on it and screwed around. So far so good.

Saraluna

Neo Member
My friend just confirmed that the latest Wacom Feel driver works on the Dell! I think I'm going to jump on this deal too.

Hi Shog,

I'm finally set up with the Dell Inspiron + Lenovo pro pen you recommended, but I'm having a few issues; the Wacom Driver mentioned above says it's not compatible when I attempt to install it, and the pen itself is not recognized by the computer. Any advice?

edit; my family well-meaningly bought the i7 model which has the 4k but is Wacom techless. Exchange time. Oops~

NEO0MJ

Not sure if this is the best place to ask but where can I find a list of tablets that can be used for drawing well? just so I can compare them and know which to look for in the future.

Breads

Banned
How crazy am I for getting hung up on prefering DTK over penabled/feel or other digitizers? Although I have my share of both I just feel more comfortable using Sai/Clip Studio/Photoshop on the companion/ desktop cintiq over anything else I have tried.

I would love to get used to using the ipad (which I currently do not own) or surface for working on the go but I keep going back to the thick and heavy mess Wacom made and I can't tell if my preference for the DTK digitizers is all in my head.

Thanks =D

That list is not complete. The Dell Inspiron 15 7568 for instance is not on it. It's hard to keep that list updated, and they are doing their best to.

It is a good place to start, but I suggest you ask plenty of questions before you purchase any of those on the list.

How crazy am I for getting hung up on prefering DTK over penabled/feel or other digitizers? Although I have my share of both I just feel more comfortable using Sai/Clip Studio/Photoshop on the companion/ desktop cintiq over anything else I have tried.

I would love to get used to using the ipad (which I currently do not own) or surface for working on the go but I keep going back to the thick and heavy mess Wacom made and I can't tell if my preference for the DTK digitizers is all in my head.

DTK is still king, if you don't need portability. And if you don't need portability, a good desktop + 27QHD Touch will be the best combo you can buy for the foreseeable future.

DTK starts to fall apart for mobile roles because of few reasons.

1. It adds thickness and weight. The DTK digitizer layer like any EMR is separate from the touch layer. If needs to reside under the LCD and lighting layer. TDK digitizer layer is a beefier one than Wacom thinner DTU ones found in various Tablet PCs. It will make your tablet fatter, as in the Cintiq Companions (only DTK in mobile form other than the vaporware of Modbook Pro).

2. At smaller screen size, the edge drift is still an issue. Becase the nature of EMR digitizers, edges and corners of digitizers will not be accurate. On giant pen displays like 27QHD, you can take the digitizer layer well beyond the LCD edges, allowing for more accurate cursor placement on the LCD edges. On a small mobile tablet, you want to avoid a big bezel so often this is not a solution. Thus the cursor will drift around the edges.

Much as I love working on a DTK digitizer, I need to be mobile, and have a tendency for cabin fever if I'm stuck on a desk too long drawing, and Cintiq Companions make for a terrible mobile device for reasons listed. The best thing I found is to simply get use to working on a Projected Capacitive active pen solutions like Wacom AES, N-Trig, or Apple Pencil.

Top Bottom