• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tablets for Art (Surface, Yoga, iPad Pro etc.) Deals Thread [to be updated regularly]

NEO0MJ

That list is not complete. The Dell Inspiron 15 7568 for instance is not on it. It's hard to keep that list updated, and they are doing their best to.

It is a good place to start, but I suggest you ask plenty of questions before you purchase any of those on the list.

Oh, I don't plan on buying now, but I want to have a general idea on these things for when I do. I feel it's more likely I'll want a dedicated tablet than a laptop/hybrid.

Tosyn_88

I have used the ipad pro for about a month now and I can safely say I do not regret getting it. As someone who had never used an apple product before and also coming off a continuous 13HD, I will say that the learning curve to the ipad pro is very quick. It lacks some things but so far I have been able to find plenty work around them, forums dedicated to these things exist and I dare say, the ipad has given me the best drawing experience since I started using drawing tablets. I can't exactly explain it but it just works

IPad Pro certainly let's someone get going very quickly. That is it's biggest asset. There is minimum learning curve. The apps are keen to exploit this, keeping things to bare minimum. Just Pencil to screen to draw.

But it's biggest asset is also it's greatest drawback: iOS. It simplifies things, yet it also limits the possibilities. You can get to the comfort zone of your skill level quickly, but it does not foster growth beyond it. Simple apps means less to learn, but also less to exploit and expand.

I would suggest all iPad Pro users to learn and use Procreate to the fullest. It's the most feature rich and capable art app on the iPad Pro for raster art. IMO It's the app most likely to expand your digital skills on the iPad Pro and using anything less will be doing yourself a disservice.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
How good are ipads for recording video and taking pictures? I want to start doing some minor skits and such, and I was initially going to buy an actual proper camcorder, but I feel like with an iPad I can kill a few birds with one stone.

edit: or any tablet really. Doesn't have to be an ipad.

How good are ipads for recording video and taking pictures? I want to start doing some minor skits and such, and I was initially going to buy an actual proper camcorder, but I feel like with an iPad I can kill a few birds with one stone.

edit: or any tablet really. Doesn't have to be an ipad.

iPad Pro 9.7 would have the best camera of all available tablets, unless you count some of those 6.8" phone/phablets in this conversation (There is a new Zen Phone 6.8" with 23MP camera).

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
iPad Pro 9.7 would have the best camera of all available tablets, unless you count some of those 6.8" phone/phablets in this conversation (There is a new Zen Phone 6.8" with 23MP camera).

Is there something almost as good I can get for under $350?

Is there something almost as good I can get for under $350?

Usually tablet cameras are shit. And anything for $350 has really shitty camera. iPad Pro 9.7 isn't all that fantastic either. It's just that they put in a decent cell phone quality camera.

Just get a decent camcorder for this. Don't try to kill two birds at once with same stone. They will only get maimed .

Breads

Banned
DTK is still king, if you don't need portability. And if you don't need portability, a good desktop + 27QHD Touch will be the best combo you can buy for the foreseeable future.

DTK starts to fall apart for mobile roles because of few reasons.

1. It adds thickness and weight. The DTK digitizer layer like any EMR is separate from the touch layer. If needs to reside under the LCD and lighting layer. TDK digitizer layer is a beefier one than Wacom thinner DTU ones found in various Tablet PCs. It will make your tablet fatter, as in the Cintiq Companions (only DTK in mobile form other than the vaporware of Modbook Pro).

2. At smaller screen size, the edge drift is still an issue. Becase the nature of EMR digitizers, edges and corners of digitizers will not be accurate. On giant pen displays like 27QHD, you can take the digitizer layer well beyond the LCD edges, allowing for more accurate cursor placement on the LCD edges. On a small mobile tablet, you want to avoid a big bezel so often this is not a solution. Thus the cursor will drift around the edges.

Much as I love working on a DTK digitizer, I need to be mobile, and have a tendency for cabin fever if I'm stuck on a desk too long drawing, and Cintiq Companions make for a terrible mobile device for reasons listed. The best thing I found is to simply get use to working on a Projected Capacitive active pen solutions like Wacom AES, N-Trig, or Apple Pencil.

Thanks for the input. Looks like there is a real reason afterall for not seeing DTK in more tablet PCs outside of the Companion. I just thought Wacom was just being stingy with it. More likely that the form factor implications isn't that attractive for mass market tablet PCs. It would be nice to see more top to bottom intended for digital art devices though.

For now I think I will try the Ipad/ Apple Pencil. If I can just sketch comfortably on the go it would be a good start for getting out of my comfort zone

Thanks for the input. Looks like there is a real reason afterall for not seeing DTK in more tablet PCs outside of the Companion. I just thought Wacom was just being stingy with it. More likely that the form factor implications isn't that attractive for mass market tablet PCs. It would be nice to see more top to bottom intended for digital art devices though.

For now I think I will try the Ipad/ Apple Pencil. If I can just sketch comfortably on the go it would be a good start for getting out of my comfort zone

3 words for you: Procreate. Procreate. Procreate.

XenoRaven

Are there any programs or apps out there for a Surface that help you learn to draw? I primarily got my Surface for school/entertainment, but the pen thingy is neat.

350-1012453-847__1.jpg
350-1012453-847__7.jpg

I love my Miix 700. I've been using it now for two solid months. Other than the keyboard that requires bit of a thumping force to type without dropping keys, it's been excellent device, especially for drawing. I get solid 8 hours sketching 5000x3000 canvas multi layer projects on Clip Studio Paint/Manga Studio 5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn1yqng6aEI

One of the reason I love it is because I got a hell of a machine for ridiculously low price of $550+20+tax. You simply can't get any Surface Pro clones with 8GB RAM, proper SSD and Core M5 for less than $1000 usually. Lenovo.com sell this version for $900.

Well, Costco and Lenovo has lowered the price even more. Now it's $499.97 plus $20 shipping and tax. WOW. Wow wow wow wow. I'm not exactly sure why Lenovo has decided to dump these onto Costco, but why complain? Pick one of these bad boys up ASAP!!!

http://www.costco.com/Lenovo-Miix-7...-M5-|-FHD+-2160-x-1440.product.100229662.html

Quick notes: You will need Costco membership, which is $60. Also, you will need to pick up a Wacom AES pen separately. KB comes for free, pen does not. Get the new Wacom Bamboo Smart pen for it for $40.

https://us-store.wacom.com/Catalog/...ct-tablets-and-2-in-1-convertible-devices-S01

Can it be picked up in-store for that price? Very tempted to pick one up this week for a short-term use on vacation (blogging as well as importing and uploading photos -- though the keyboard being meh worries me a bit) and long-term for some sketching and such. Oh, does it have a fan? I prefer fanless.

Can it be picked up in-store for that price? Very tempted to pick one up this week for a short-term use on vacation (blogging as well as importing and uploading photos -- though the keyboard being meh worries me a bit) and long-term for some sketching and such. Oh, does it have a fan? I prefer fanless.

They don't carry it in any store near me. I don't think it's in any of the retail locations.

Keyboard isn't stellar, but I've been making due fine. I wouldn't use it for extensive typing duties but short bursts of typing is fine. You just have to pay attention to see if any keys skipped.

And yes, it's fanless. BTW, the SSD is upgrade friendly. I've already upgraded it to 256GB M.2 SSD I had lying around. Cracking open was pretty easy.

Thanks for the information. Hopefully if I join online tonight I'll be able to get the tablet by next Tuesday -- are they pretty prompt?

Edit: ...and got home with my new membership and they're out of stock. Ugh. They have the Miix700 256GB SSD one for $800 but that's not nearly as enticing. It is a M7, though. I wonder if it is still fanless? I'm assuming it'd be just as good for drawing and that Wacom Bamboo would work with it fine?

Thanks for the information. Hopefully if I join online tonight I'll be able to get the tablet by next Tuesday -- are they pretty prompt?

Edit: ...and got home with my new membership and they're out of stock. Ugh. They have the Miix700 256GB SSD one for $800 but that's not nearly as enticing. It is a M7, though. I wonder if it is still fanless? I'm assuming it'd be just as good for drawing and that Wacom Bamboo would work with it fine?

That crazy deal finally ran out huh? The M7 version is also fanless. The only differences are the 128GB vs 256GB, M5 vs M7, and Windows 10 Home vs Windows 10 Pro. Not as awesome deal as the $500 m5 version.

What are some lighter options, then? For a tablet that's good for both drawing and reading.

iPad Pro 9.7? The rest are Atom IIRC. Some Core M for 11.6" and 10.6" but they are also about 1.5 lbs. If you want it closer to 1 lbs, iPad Pro 9.7 is about it beyond Atom CPU.

The only caveat for iPad Pro 9.7 other than running iOS is the RAM. Only 2GB so you should keep thing not too heavy on layers and canvas size.

Burai

shitonmychest57
What are some lighter options, then? For a tablet that's good for both drawing and reading.

I found the IKEA $1.99 (!) Isberget stand perfect for holding my 12.9" iPad Pro for reading comics. You can use it to hold a tablet upright or slightly raised for typing/drawing.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20302596/

With the best will in the world, even with a smaller, lighter tablet you're going to be getting wrist ache if you read for any serious length of time and I really wouldn't want to give up that extra screen real estate.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Always wanted to learn how to draw so today I went and got this book, based on the recommendations of the internet basically.

SJCxO2Z.jpg

That tablet is my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014. The app I bought is Autodesk Sketchbook. If and when I get better, I'll move to better equipment.

AndrewPL

As some one that wants to get back into digital art (haven't done it in 10 years) I'm thinking about getting a cintiq (not companion) but am having doubts about if I shouldn't just get an iPad pro or a surface 4. (At least until wacom releases an updated model)

It'll be just as a hobby but I did want a surface display tablet instead of an old wacom style tablet.

Always wanted to learn how to draw so today I went and got this book, based on the recommendations of the internet basically.

SJCxO2Z.jpg

That tablet is my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014. The app I bought is Autodesk Sketchbook. If and when I get better, I'll move to better equipment.
I use the 10.1 and the app called Artflow. The tablet pen's fantastic for sketching, though I had to open it up and tweak the sensitivity. Once I did that though, I never went back to pencil and paper for sketching.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I use the 10.1 and the app called Artflow. The tablet pen's fantastic for sketching, though I had to open it up and tweak the sensitivity. Once I did that though, I never went back to pencil and paper for sketching.

Will check this out tonight. Thanks!

As some one that wants to get back into digital art (haven't done it in 10 years) I'm thinking about getting a cintiq (not companion) but am having doubts about if I shouldn't just get an iPad pro or a surface 4. (At least until wacom releases an updated model)

It'll be just as a hobby but I did want a surface display tablet instead of an old wacom style tablet.
SP4 is bit too expensive for my taste. I find Miix 700 just as good for the task but the deal you can find are much better. Also, Wacom AES just feels so much better than N-Trig DuoSense 2 for initial detection force. Such a light touch on it, but not that fake light touch BS of the iPad Pro's Apple Pencil.

If you want to run true Photoshop and a working file system, go with Miix 700. Costco is selling Core M7, 8GB of RAM, 256GB SSD version for $799.

If you don't care about Photoshop nor file system you can access, go with iPad Pro.

Tosyn_88

IPad Pro certainly let's someone get going very quickly. That is it's biggest asset. There is minimum learning curve. The apps are keen to exploit this, keeping things to bare minimum. Just Pencil to screen to draw.

But it's biggest asset is also it's greatest drawback: iOS. It simplifies things, yet it also limits the possibilities. You can get to the comfort zone of your skill level quickly, but it does not foster growth beyond it. Simple apps means less to learn, but also less to exploit and expand.

I would suggest all iPad Pro users to learn and use Procreate to the fullest. It's the most feature rich and capable art app on the iPad Pro for raster art. IMO It's the app most likely to expand your digital skills on the iPad Pro and using anything less will be doing yourself a disservice.

I think the guys at pro create need to introduce new tools, like shape tools, can't make a circle

AndrewPL

SP4 is bit too expensive for my taste. I find Miix 700 just as good for the task but the deal you can find are much better. Also, Wacom AES just feels so much better than N-Trig DuoSense 2 for initial detection force. Such a light touch on it, but not that fake light touch BS of the iPad Pro's Apple Pencil.

If you want to run true Photoshop and a working file system, go with Miix 700. Costco is selling Core M7, 8GB of RAM, 256GB SSD version for $799.

If you don't care about Photoshop nor file system you can access, go with iPad Pro.

I'll have a look around for a Miix 700, I think they may be a similar price to the sp4 where I am though.

Having never had an iPad, not being able to directly transfer files is worrying. Looks like a solid device though.

I'll have a look around for a Miix 700, I think they may be a similar price to the sp4 where I am though.

Having never had an iPad, not being able to directly transfer files is worrying. Looks like a solid device though.

You can order Miix 700 directly from Costco.com for $799:

http://www.costco.com/Lenovo-Miix-7...-|-Office-365-Personal.product.100229657.html

The exact same model from lenovo.com is $1099:

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/tablets/ideapad/miix/miix-700/#80QL000BUS

Got a Surface 3 for the wife and was thinking of doing some hobby drawing on it. She had one of those adhesive screen protectors on her old Surface RT and was thinking of getting one on her Surface 3. Does that mess with the Surface Pen at all or make the tablet less ideal as a drawing tool? I know that it definitely gives the screen a "rougher" feel, more like paper or something, but not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

Got a Surface 3 for the wife and was thinking of doing some hobby drawing on it. She had one of those adhesive screen protectors on her old Surface RT and was thinking of getting one on her Surface 3. Does that mess with the Surface Pen at all or make the tablet less ideal as a drawing tool? I know that it definitely gives the screen a "rougher" feel, more like paper or something, but not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

Surface 3 glass doesn't need protection so I wouldn't do it for that. If you want a more paper like feel when you draw, then buy a Surface Pro 4 pen and get the replacement nib kit. One of the replacement nibs will get you the feel you would like.

Tosyn_88

URL=http://s61.photobucket.com/user/Tosyn_Shakalaka/media/image_zps5dq2sngo.png.html]
image_zps5dq2sngo.png
[/URL]

Thought I'd share some photos of my progress with the ipad

How well would this work for a beginner? And would I also be able to play Hearts of Iron IV?

https://www.microsoftstore.com/stor...gnature-Edition-2-in-1-PC/productID.333089100
I'm not a huge fan of the Synaptics pen. But I don't know many 13.3" deals with Wacom or N-Trig ATM.

As for the game, the Intel HD 520 or whatever it has will not be great for it.

If you can go couple benjamins more, the Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 14 from Best Buy is a bit better suited for games. And it has Wacom AES.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-...lack/4456400.p?id=1219749486129&skuId=4456400

So I'm thinking about investing in an iPad Pro since I already have a couple of apps on iOS. Was going to get the Pencil as well but are there better alternatives?

So I'm thinking about investing in an iPad Pro since I already have a couple of apps on iOS. Was going to get the Pencil as well but are there better alternatives?

Not for iOS. Apple Pencil and iPad Pro are only options IMO for iOS. You have to venture into Windows devices for something more capable.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...4321075&cm_re=miix_700-_-34-321-075-_-Product

34-321-075-15.jpg

The free tablet is bottom of the barrel no name 7" with 1GB of RAM and 16GB of eMMC, but it might make an amusing Android tablet with Android X86 OS swap.

Miix 700, however, is one of my fav 12" art tablets. And $500 is cheapest you'll find for it. For $500, you are still getting that super bright and vivid 2160x1440 IPS display, sublime Wacom AES 1 gram initial insertion force pen, and that swanky even better than SP3/4 kick stand with Core M and SATA III SSD. And if 64GB seems too low, do not fret. It's pretty easy to swap the M.2 storage module in the Miix 700! I've swapped my personal Miix 700's 128GB with 256GB M.2 already.

Some caveats:
1.The free keyboard is not as good as SP3 or SP4's. It's passable. But it's free so there's that.

2. Pen is not included. Get the new Wacom Bamboo AES pen for $40. It's now my favorite AES pen.

3. There may be some very annoying sticker right on the edge of the screen you have to remove. Lots of alcohol and elbow grease required to get all the residue off.

4. DO NOT buy the more expensive options of Miix 700 at newegg. The Core M5 version comes with eMMC for some wacky reason, and the Core M7 version is $100 more expensive than the Costco.com sale for $800 (plus the Win 10 Pro and Office 365 sub).

Otherwise, this is the cheapest deal for the best low cost Wacom AES Windows tablet.

EDIT: The free 7" tablet deal I think is for Father's day weekend only.

Hey everyone,

I loved drawing little things and doing diagrams on my now-defunct and regretted Galaxy Note 3. I found it perfect for that use. Did Samsung put out a tablet that works like it ? I know there is the Galaxy Tab 10.1 but it begins to be a little dated...
Thanks.

Hey everyone,

I loved drawing little things and doing diagrams on my now-defunct and regretted Galaxy Note 3. I found it perfect for that use. Did Samsung put out a tablet that works like it ? I know there is the Galaxy Tab 10.1 but it begins to be a little dated...
Thanks.

Most recent hardware with Wacom on Android IIRC is the Dell Venue 10 5050 (it's also old, but not Note 10.1 2014 old).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Venue-...789866?hash=item3ac1b248aa:g:Sp4AAOSwHQ9WVSR0

You can use the same Wacom Bamboo AES pen as the Miix 700 above (link in that post), and even can be mated with a keyboard dock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUcsJ3WiY0c

Ok so I've been messing with the iPad Pro 9.7" for a while now and am enjoying it thus far (Pencil is gamechanger). This might not be the place to ask but it kinda makes sense lol.

For you iPad users, I've been using Adobe Sketch for right now and it's been good.

Is ProCreate worth the 6$? I can't find any comparisons between the two so maybe you guys might know.

Tosyn_88

Ok so I've been messing with the iPad Pro 9.7" for a while now and am enjoying it thus far (Pencil is gamechanger). This might not be the place to ask but it kinda makes sense lol.

For you iPad users, I've been using Adobe Sketch for right now and it's been good.

Is ProCreate worth the 6$? I can't find any comparisons between the two so maybe you guys might know.

Yes it is worth every bit of the coin. I also use sketchbook when I'm on pc but as far as tablets are concerned, the Procreate app works very well. There's even forums dedicated to additional brushes if you need em

btrboyev

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...4321075&cm_re=miix_700-_-34-321-075-_-Product

34-321-075-15.jpg

The free tablet is bottom of the barrel no name 7" with 1GB of RAM and 16GB of eMMC, but it might make an amusing Android tablet with Android X86 OS swap.

Miix 700, however, is one of my fav 12" art tablets. And $500 is cheapest you'll find for it. For $500, you are still getting that super bright and vivid 2160x1440 IPS display, sublime Wacom AES 1 gram initial insertion force pen, and that swanky even better than SP3/4 kick stand with Core M and SATA III SSD. And if 64GB seems too low, do not fret. It's pretty easy to swap the M.2 storage module in the Miix 700! I've swapped my personal Miix 700's 128GB with 256GB M.2 already.

Some caveats:
1.The free keyboard is not as good as SP3 or SP4's. It's passable. But it's free so there's that.

2. Pen is not included. Get the new Wacom Bamboo AES pen for $40. It's now my favorite AES pen.

3. There may be some very annoying sticker right on the edge of the screen you have to remove. Lots of alcohol and elbow grease required to get all the residue off.

4. DO NOT buy the more expensive options of Miix 700 at newegg. The Core M5 version comes with eMMC for some wacky reason, and the Core M7 version is $100 more expensive than the Costco.com sale for $800 (plus the Win 10 Pro and Office 365 sub).

Otherwise, this is the cheapest deal for the best low cost Wacom AES Windows tablet.

EDIT: The free 7" tablet deal I think is for Father's day weekend only.

4GB is a deal breaker for me personally.

JackDT

Has anyone tried a Lenovo X1 Yoga? Seems like it should be pretty much the same as a Yoga 14 but smaller, as it's AES?

The minspec versions are available for about 800 refurbished in the Lenovo outlet, which seems like a pretty decent deal if it's just as a good but a pound lighter.

Procreate positively DESTROYS Adobe Sketch and all other raster apps on iOS. Obliterates it. I would go so far as to say if you own an iPad Pro and not get Procreate for it, you should just toss the tablet in the garbage.

4GB is a deal breaker for me personally.

For you, the costco.com $800 version with M7, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD and Win10 Pro + Office 365 should be the only choice for Miix 700. For others just looking for a good entry point into digital art on Windows, it's fine.

Has anyone tried a Lenovo X1 Yoga? Seems like it should be pretty much the same as a Yoga 14 but smaller, as it's AES?

The minspec versions are available for about 800 refurbished in the Lenovo outlet, which seems like a pretty decent deal if it's just as a good but a pound lighter.

I didn't get a chance to play with it but going by much cheaper Miix 700, it should be pretty damn good.

I am considering getting Miix 700 as a gift for my sister that draw a lot in Photoshop. Is the M3 4GB version good enough to run Photoshop smoothly?

If the canvas size is kept in check, and she doesn't go too crazy with the brush sizes, it will run Photoshop fine. But she will need to go with Photoshop CC 2015. CS6 and older will not work due to lack of Wintab driver.

This is the lowest price for a proper 2 in 1 with Wacom AES digitizer. This $400 offer is the M3-6Y30 (up to 2.2GHz), 4GB RAM, and 64GB SATA III M.2 SSD.

Compare it to the M3 version of SP4: M3-6Y30, 4GB of RAM and 128GB SATA III SSD for $900. The M3 SP4 comes with pen but not with KB and with N-Trig pen. The M3 Miix 700 comes with keyboard but not the pen. But the pen you can get for $40 from Wacom is a proper Wacom AES pen with much better pressure curve, software support and initial detection force than N-Trig DuoSense 2.

So for SP4, you need about $1060 + tax while you need $440 + tax with Miix 700 but get much better pen/digital art experience. Also keep in mind that you can upgrade the Miix 700's SSD pretty easily. I upgraded my 128GB unit to 256GB unit I had lying around.

466669_088492_01_front_zoom.jpg

No idea when this sale ends.

P.S.: Also available from microcenter is the M5/4GB/128GB version for $500

P.P.S.: If you want 8GB of RAM, you can spend $714 for M5/8GB/256GB at amazon.com

P.P.P.S.: You can also upgrade to M7/8GB/256GB version at costco.com for $800

Top Bottom