• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft needs more exclusives throughout the year

Haven't we already heard from insiders that the new Xbox is already in development? Next Xbox to only have a 10 month lifespan?

Companies do R&D all the time. Just cause something is in R&D, doesn't mean it will come to market. And if MS is planning on charging consumers $500 in holiday 2017, when exactly do you think they'd be willing to go ahead on the next-gen Xbox? Earliest we'd see it is 2020, if that.

Thats exactly who the X1X is ultimately for. Its to keep fans who may be tempted to leave due to power differences in the later years of the platform's lifespan into the platform. For example, a core user that may have purchased a X1 at launch for $499 is going into 2018, and might now be looking to purchase another console. The X1X is there to entice that user into basically 'reupping' into the platform by taking away one of the competitions major selling points to the audience who cares about power in the console userbase (which isn't that big to begin with).

Theres a good chance this is going to seem surprisingly prophetic 20 months from now.

Why is there a good chance? Can you elaborate on why you think that?

I have an Xbox One but all you really need is a PS4 and Switch imo.

I will only consider an Xbox One X if MS show that they're committed to staying in the industry long term by at least revealing several big new AAA titles.

Keinning

I have an Xbox One but all you really need is a PS4 and Switch imo.

I will only consider an Xbox One X if MS show that they're committed to staying in the industry long term by at least revealing several big new AAA titles.

Might as well sell your xbox already then.
They show commitment to the industry by adding and improving services like gamepass and play anywhere. If you're expecting PS4 levels of new software, that's not their thing anymore. Don't do this to yourself and just move on.

Sort of feels that way. There isn't even any hype for the Xbox one x, even from Microsoft. They should be hyping everyone up for it.

The thing is, HW requires SW to be hyped up. X1X's big marketing problem is that it has the power & appearance of being a new console generation, except its not in the department where it matters the most - Software.

MS can go & tout X1X features for games all they want, but at the end of the day, you can play those games on either devices you already own (PS4/X1) or on stronger platforms which will allow bigger performance gains on a multitude of the same games that run on it (PC). And without any games showing the strength of the machine on screen, its really not raising any eyebrows in the one market they jsut have been unable to really reach this whole gen, which has been a broader gamer & casual market.

Companies do R&D all the time. Just cause something is in R&D, doesn't mean it will come to market. And if MS is planning on charging consumers $500 in holiday 2017, when exactly do you think they'd be willing to go ahead on the next-gen Xbox? Earliest we'd see it is 2020, if that.

I dunno I just find it really hard to believe MS would just exit this market in like a year and a half.

Thats exactly who the X1X is ultimately for. Its to keep fans who may be tempted to leave due to power differences in the later years of the platform's lifespan into the platform. For example, a core user that may have purchased a X1 at launch for $499 is going into 2018, and might now be looking to purchase another console. The X1X is there to entice that user into basically 'reupping' into the platform by taking away one of the competitions major selling points to the audience who cares about power in the console userbase (which isn't that big to begin with).

Theres a good chance this is going to seem surprisingly prophetic 20 months from now.
Bookmarked! Times-a-tickin'

I dunno I just find it really hard to believe MS would just exit this market in like a year and a half.

Zune & Windows Phone users liikely said the same thing.

If there is one universal lesson to be learned about how MS handles different branches of their business - things continue chugging along until MS decides they are done. And when they make that decision, they have almost always been hard exits.

RedSwirl

I feel like Microsoft has, since the original Xbox, been taking a platform-based approach instead of an exclusive-based approach (which Sony and Nintendo have been doing). Things like XBL, the development environment, achievements, and BC have all been aimed towards making the Xbox platform overall better than PlayStation. I think this worked in the latter half of the PS3/360 era because everyone was buying multiplats on 360.

However, I think the 360 gained its initial momentum through a lot of exclusives that Microsoft got largely because its development environment was more welcoming to western PC developers moving into the console space. That's how it got a bunch of games like Mass Effect, Rainbow Six, BioShock, and Elder Scrolls months before the PS3. Microsoft then kind of just coasted on that initial momentum.

That's beside the fact however that Microsoft's real weakness, in my opinion, is that Sony has always been stronger in territories outside the US and UK. This has been particularly true in Japan and continental Europe. Sure Microsoft tried in Japan, but even Sony has realized how much Japan has contracted in the console business and is actually pushing more in other Asian territories like Korea, China, and I believe Southeast Asia.

Sort of feels that way. There isn't even any hype for the Xbox one x, even from Microsoft. They should be hyping everyone up for it.

I mean isn't that because it isn't even time for it to come out yet? Like are we going to pretend that Microsoft doesn't market the hell out of their products? There will be a huge campaign for the Xbox One X just like there was for the S.

Detective

The Need that desperately.

1- let 343 make another game, they faild at Halo
2-Coalition need to make other games too, gears doesn't cut it anymore.
3-New studio for Fable and other project
4-New Studio to help Rare revive PDZ and other great franchise.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I could use another Portal game. A sequel to Quantum Break might be OK, some new IPA would be nice but I think for this system, they aren't trying to do anything except finish the gen with the most powerful place to play third party. They are actually building on services offerings which is a great idea. MS has some really good services. They also have a nice group / party system.

They can do well in areas along side games with media and social.

Kickz

New Lost Odyssey, Crimson Skies, Fable, and Phantom Dust. Fund some third party exclusives that wouldn't get funded otherwise.

Don't forget the best new IP from this entire generation of consoles; Sunset Overdrive.

Throw in a new Banjo Kazooie for good measure as well.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
The thing is, HW requires SW to be hyped up. X1X's big marketing problem is that it has the power & appearance of being a new console generation, except its not in the department where it matters the most - Software.

MS can go & tout X1X features for games all they want, but at the end of the day, you can play those games on either devices you already own (PS4/X1) or on stronger platforms which will allow bigger performance gains on a multitude of the same games that run on it (PC). And without any games showing the strength of the machine on screen, its really not raising any eyebrows in the one market they jsut have been unable to really reach this whole gen, which has been a broader gamer & casual market.

Microsoft really needs a killer title like Breath of the Wild or Horizon Zero Dawn to sell to the masses but unfortunately they have crackdown which i doubt will make a big impact like the 2 games i just mentioned.

RedSwirl

Oh and when it comes to first party games, I believe Microsoft is done making offline or singleplayer-only games. That's why we don't have another Fable. That's why it pushed to get PUBG on Xbox first.

You see all Sony's big story-based games and Japanese exclusives, but the powers that be at Xbox don't believe those games are making a huge dent, at least not individually. On the other hand, I remember hearing on the Glixel podcast that Sony figured out those kinds of games do better in continental Europe, and it's one of the reasons Sony is stronger there.

In any case I think if Microsoft does have more first party games in the future they're going to be online and multiplayer-oriented primarily. Sea of Thieves is the perfect example of what it's trying to push more of. I was thinking maybe it might try another sports game outside racing. How likely does anyone think a card game is from Microsoft?

My friend :D

No, I mean another game beside gears. Two projects.
Something like naughty dog.

Ahh true, as long as we continue receiving new Gears multiplayer experiences, I'm down for whatever.

One thing TC needs to do is bring back OverRun! I think the potential with that mode was left untapped in Judgment and deserves its grand return, like Firefight Versus and Invasion in Halo ;]

RPGam3r

The Need that desperately.

1- let 343 make another game, they faild at Halo
2-Coalition need to make other games too, gears doesn't cut it anymore.
3-New studio for Fable and other project
4-New Studio to help Rare revive PDZ and other great franchise.

1. No, these are still great games and I want them to keep trying
2. Gears I could do without at this point
3. Agreed Fable is neat and deserves another chance, and not some 4 player co-op crap
4. Give me Banjo, or something with that sort of life in it

DilWSTS

Xbox needs some first party that isnt a shooter. Id love a new great PD but right now the first party consists of guns. Xbox needs as many have stated to fund an exclusive 3rd party game. Though i understand shooters sell the most. It's like playing Game Dev Story i guess

Fukuzatsu

In Japan, you could be forgiven for thinking Microsoft had dropped out of the running entirely (leaving behind only a small presence of used games and support hardware), and the console regularly sells less than the Vita, WiiU, and PS3 even to this year.

That alone is basically a 'free' million or more for Sony, and now that the disparity between PlayStation and Xbox has widened outside of the US, I have to wonder, would exclusives even make a difference at this point? Obviously Xbox sales will continue since they haven't crashed nearly as hard on North America, but it feels grim.

And hell, I owned and enjoyed a 360, so I really wish that wasn't the case.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
??????

Portal is made by Valve... What are you talking about?

I forgot for some reason. Getting old sucks.

Sorry, for superstitious reasons Valve doesn't make games ending in 3.

Lol!!

Portal has never been a Microsoft IP, it's owned by Valve (the folks responsible for Steam now).

Thanks.. I forgot. Don't know why I thought they were an MS studio. Might need to stop sniffing glue.

Purest 78

Gaming is like a side Hobby for MS it's small beans for them. If any other companies owned Xbox with all it's loses through the years. I guarantee Xbox wouldn't exist most companies couldn't sustain those loses.

MS has so much money Xbox doesn't hurt their bottom line much, I don't see Xbox going anywhere anytime soon.

Jetboxx

Actually, during the first 3 years of the 360 they had a great exclusive lineup that was diverse.

Don't know what changed to be honest. It's been steadily downhill since Peter Moore left.
These three years were so cool that (as for me) the Xbox 360 has more good games than the PS3.

I feel like Microsoft could have really used Destiny. Did someone from Bungie ever approach anyone at Microsoft about building and owning their own IP? Was Destiny ever pitched to Microsoft? I know how a lot of people felt about Destiny when it launched, but that's the kind of game that would have helped bolster the exclusive portfolio significantly for the Xbox. Alongside a better launch announcement and no forced Kinect, we'd be having a different conversation today even though PS4 would sell more (just not as much).

Now we're left to wonder whether any new and exciting IP will come to Xbox anytime soon. I don't believe the brand will die in the coming years, but it'd be nice to know at least a hint of what's coming.

I feel like Microsoft could have really used Destiny. Did someone from Bungie ever approach anyone at Microsoft about building and owning their own IP? Was Destiny ever pitched to Microsoft? I know how a lot of people felt about Destiny when it launched, but that's the kind of game that would have helped bolster the exclusive portfolio significantly for the Xbox. Alongside a better launch announcement and no forced Kinect, we'd be having a different conversation today even though PS4 would sell more (just not as much).

Now we're left to wonder whether any new and exciting IP will come to Xbox anytime soon. I don't believe the brand will die in the coming years, but it'd be nice to know at least a hint of what's coming.

Destiny wasn't just pitched to MS; Bungie teased it in the Halo series.

Iced Arcade

Absolutely. They show me this upgraded console coming out and I'm hesitant because a whole lot of nothing has been coming out game wise to justify the high price tag for a mid gen upgrade.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Even they do make new IP MS is not interested making single player games like Hellblade.
they are more interested MP focus games because to them thats where the money is.

I can't really fault them. They tried, they really did.

with 360 they brought lot of JRPGs to their system like:

Lost Odyssey
Tales of Vasperia
Blue Dragon
Infinite undiscovered
Star Ocean 4
Eternal Sonata
The Last Remnant

none of them did well

with Xbox one they tried bring some SP games like:

Quantum Break
Sunset Over Drive
ReCore

and those one didn't se well either.

JusDoIt

Microsoft really needs a killer title like Breath of the Wild or Horizon Zero Dawn to sell to the masses but unfortunately they have crackdown which i doubt will make a big impact like the 2 games i just mentioned.

Have I got the game for you: ReCore Definitive Edition!

Jetboxx

Lost Odyssey
Tales of Vesperia
Blue Dragon
Infinite Undisclosed
Star Ocean 4
Eternal Sonata
The Last Remnant

none of them did well

What do you understand by "well"? As for me, one million copies is a pretty good result. At least they did better than Quantum Break.

Top Bottom