• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft needs more exclusives throughout the year

The PlayStation fans are 'just; a little hypocritical on this matter. I can remember none of this talk with the original PS, when SEGA had far more In-House studios more exclusives and most of the best PS game were all on the PC and run and looked better.

Then the PC didn't come into it, never mind Tomb Raider 1,3 looked and run better on the PC it was all about the PS having the best console versions of the 'said' game, it was the Saturn didn't have it or it looked worse on the system. Well, really that's what MS needs to with the One X. Have the best looking and sounding versions of the 3rd party games, that's their best bet and hope the One X becomes the lead platform for development as a result.

I mean, I don't know why you're comparing the console market today with how it was 21-ish years ago, but okay. Maybe you could quantify your claims or maybe you could leave this unprovable hearsay at the door?

Also, comparing Sony literally getting into console development vs. Sega who'd been doing it for well over a decade and Sony being in the console market for over two decades and MS who's been in the market for almost two decades seems pretty disingenuous.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
The PlayStation fans are 'just; a little hypocritical on this matter. I can remember none of this talk with the original PS, when SEGA had far more In-House studios more exclusives and most of the best PS game were all on the PC and run and looked better.

Then the PC didn't come into it, never mind Tomb Raider 1,3 looked and run better on the PC it was all about the PS having the best console versions of the 'said' game, it was the Saturn didn't have it or it looked worse on the system. Well, really that's what MS needs to with the One X. Have the best looking and sounding versions of the 3rd party games, that's their best bet and hope the One X becomes the lead platform for development as a result.

You ran back to anecdotal 90's discussions to make a point about a forum thread in 2017? That's about as far a reach as I've seen in a long time. Point: Microsoft needs more exclusive software, regardless of what was going on with the PS1.

sirronoh

Anyone that thinks differently is fooling themselves. I am getting the X because Gamestop is paying for it. It will be the most powerful console out there until it isn't. MS isn't trying to win the gen with it. They are just trying to have the strongest console out to finish the gen regardless of lack of exclusives. I don't think there is much more to it than that.

That's the right approach to take. The X is definitely a powerful console and a great piece of tech. It's strange though that there are people out here assuming that, for as great of a gaming device as the X is going to be, that it's going to change the fortunes of the Xbox One relative to PlayStation 4 and now the Switch, in any territory. That part just isn't going to happen. However, that shouldn't stop anyone who's interested in the X from buying it and falling in love with it.

Widge

However, that shouldn't stop anyone who's interested in the X from buying it and falling in love with it.

I mean it looks like a really nicely developed piece of hardware. Sounds like a lot of care has gone in there. I mean the S version by itself was pretty nice looking. Sony's efforts are a touch functional in that respect.

You ran back to anecdotal 90's discussions to make a point about a forum thread in 2017? That's about as far a reach as I've seen in a long time. Point: Microsoft needs more exclusive software, regardless of what was going on with the PS1.

It's not just about the 90's. In the 90's SEGA had the In-House advantage that counted for little against the PS. The OG XBox didn't have many Japanese titles, even the 360 would always play 2nd fiddle to the PS and what SONY In-House teams could output or the support SONY could count on from Japanese publishers.

It's like people forget the XBox didn't have Tekken on it or Resident Evil, or Ace Combat, most of the so called ONLY ON XBox titles on the 360 ended up on the PS3 or that the 360 could never boast of any Yakuza or Persona title on it.

It's not much new, yes MS needs to do more, but at least it getting the Hardware part right and one can only hope, the software follows and that MS works again with SEGA and Fromsoftware

klier

I agree, their exclusive lineup is straight trash. Like you, I've been busy with my Switch and PS4. Hopefully this changes. They have released jack shit, pertaining to exclusives this year. Very disappointing.

Same here. Only games I have for the One are all the Forza games and Gears. LOL

It's not just about the 90's. In the 90's SEGA had the In-House advantage that counted for little against the PS. The OG XBox didn't have many Japanese titles, even the 360 would always play 2nd fiddle to the PS and what SONY In-House teams could output or the support SONY could count on from Japanese publishers.

It's like people forget the XBox didn't have Tekken on it or Resident Evil, or Ace Combat, most of the so called ONLY ON XBox titles on the 360 ended up on the PS3 or that the 360 could never boast of any Yakuza or Persona title on it.

It's not much new, yes MS needs to do more, but at least it getting the Hardware part right and one can only hope, the software follows and that MS works again with SEGA and Fromsoftware

I have no idea what you're trying to say. What has this got to do with PS1 fans being hypocrites because "most of the best PS game were all on the PC and run and looked better"?

- "The OG XBox didn't have many Japanese titles"
I mean, define "many". Sega published tons of OG Xbox games (most of which were exclusive, as I recall) and other Japanese publishers like Namco, Koei, Konami and Capcom brought many games to the platform as well. What it was missing was many of the biggest Japanese third party games like Final Fantasy, Devil May Cry and Tekken, but I suspect that's mainly because of Sony firing money cannons everywhere.

- "most of the so called ONLY ON XBox titles on the 360 ended up on the PS3"
I can't be bothered checking, but I think this is untrue.

Widge

- "most of the so called ONLY ON XBox titles on the 360 ended up on the PS3"

This more than likely angled at things like Bioshock and Mass Effect, where it was prominently on the boxart and before the status quo of third party appearing on all systems was established.

I have no idea what you're trying to say. What has this got to do with PS1 fans being hypocrites because "most of the best PS game were all on the PC and run and looked better"?

- "The OG XBox didn't have many Japanese titles"
I mean, define "many". Sega published tons of OG Xbox games (most of which were exclusive, as I recall)

JSRF is the reason I got the XBox back in the day. Sadly SEGA backed the PS2 for more, so I hardly call SEGA great but limited OG XBox support, counting for wide spread Japanse support.

Mass Effect, Ninja Gaiden 2, Lost Planet, Dead Rising

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member

You're totally missing the point of topic - that Microsoft needs to do something (this is how brands stay afloat, after all). What happened 10/15/20+ years ago is irrelevant.

You're totally missing the point of topic - that Microsoft needs to do something (this is how brands stay afloat, after all). What happened 10/15/20+ years ago is irrelevant.

Get real, MS earns more in 6 months than most countries total GDP. MS isn't going anywhere soon and it wouldn't be wasted 3 years or spending millions on R&D for the XBox One X. It's not even 20 years ago, but last gen it had all much 360 had much the same issues of lacking In-House teams, lack of exclusives compared to SONY. And speaking of last gen, when SONY was losing billions upon billions (not to mention market share) I saw no-one here saying SONY are pulling out or going to quit.

Melchiah

Get real, MS earns more in 6 months than most countries total GDP. MS isn't going anywhere soon and it wouldn't be wasted 3 years or spending millions on R&D for the XBox One X. It's not even 20 years ago, but last gen it had all much 360 had much the same issues of lacking In-House teams, lack of exclusives compared to SONY. And speaking of last gen, when SONY was losing billions upon billions (not to mention market share) I saw no-one here saying SONY are pulling out or going to quit.

There's an infamous prediction thread for this generation, where people believed Sony was going to bow out of the race.

otakukidd

... That's because people were saying Sony would be shutting down. It's actually a miracle they were able to turn it around. Also last gen Xbox wasn't lacking in exclusives till like the last 2 years. They were still able to get 3rd party exclusives from Western and Japanese developers. They dried up this gen leaving only first party left.

Tons of people thought Sony were going to bow out this gen. I think most of us thought MS would be on top with Sony and Ninty bringing up the rear, until MS fluffed everything in 2013 particularly.

Anyway, MS earning a lot of money doesn't necessarily mean they shouldn't be trying harder with exclusive software and new IPs. You don't need to be so defensive about every comment against them.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
They release more controllers than they do games. They don't even have anything that looks good to me coming out for the remainder of the year.

jayu26

Which Universe did you teleport from? Tell me, did Trump win in that one too?

Blatantly false lol.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member

Oh dear... Yeah, with this, we're done. You're completely out of tune.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

You've been all over the place and incorrect with all of it.

GHG

Is this what happens when a persecution complex goes too far?

They need a couple of new IP's in 'non standard for Xbox' genres. Single player interactive movies are dangerous too so forget them.

I would make something which rivals a Nintendo style game. Either a great platformer or something else. I still think Ori could be given the full 3D AAA treatment and be Xbox's Zelda / Metroid Prime.

Then something which caters to their strength, Xbox Live. A huge multiplayer game with persistent worlds and endless gameplay. Something not yet done before, and opportunity for microtransactions galore! They have Minecraft for this but still, online games and streaming and stuff is where it's at these days.

Also maybe a cool arcade sports game. There aren't enough of those these days :(

Agreed with a lot of what you were saying but you're completely wrong about people not saying Sony was going out of business. Everyone here was predicting that after the disaster of the PS3. Maybe you weren't reading GAF back then?

They release more controllers than they do games. They don't even have anything that looks good to me coming out for the remainder of the year.

What?! Not even Cuphead??

Which Universe did you teleport from? Tell me, did Trump win in that one too?

No Fake news ... Let's see in 2011 SONY lost $3.1b, in 2012 SONY lost $6.4 billion, in 2013 Sony lost $0.5 billon, in 2014 SONY lost $1.29 Billion. So in 5 years, SONY lost over $10 billion dollars and noone here, was saying it was the end of SONY or the PS3 and they would pull out.

MS, on the other hand, is done for despite posting profits, even in the XBox division.

The 360 had a lot going for it which you seem not to understand .
It had loads of exclusive early on because it was the first next gen system and they invest in Japanese games .
It had a year lead in the USA and 15 months in EU and price advantage .
Better performing games , early DLC and marketing deals and better online systems and OS .
To say 360 had the same problems as Xb1 is crazy looking at all the factors .
More than ever MS needs games to set them apart since they don't have the advantages they had with 360 .

Also a lot of people were saying Sony in trouble or going to drop out etc etc .
In fact we had people saying the console market was in trouble on the whole .

Ehker

No Fake news ... Let's see in 2011 SONY lost $3.1b, in 2012 SONY lost $6.4 billion, in 2013 Sony lost $0.5 billon, in 2014 SONY lost $1.29 Billion. So in 5 years, SONY lost over $10 billion dollars and noone here, was saying it was the end of SONY or the PS3 and they would pull out.

MS, on the other hand, is done for despite posting profits, even in the XBox division.

Let me introduce you to this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=489769

Some quotes just on Page 1:
"Sony will be vaporized, that's all I know."
"Sony 3rd, drops out of console business"
"Sony will drop out of the race."
"sony will be the new sega"
"Sony = Doomed, they lost all the big exlusives"

And speaking of last gen, when SONY was losing billions upon billions (not to mention market share) I saw no-one here saying SONY are pulling out or going to quit.

You say this, despite the fact that we had a massive thread before this generation started on GAF where most people "predicted" the PS4 failing and it being the end of Sony? Because of how they were losing money hand over fist and the fact the Vita was failing.

Ricky_R

I saw no-one here saying SONY are pulling out or going to quit.

tenor.gif

otakukidd

YES THEY WERE. WHERE WERE YOU. Also PlayStation was the one of the only Profitable sections they had. It would of been spun out or went down with Sony.

Bluenoser

You sure that currency isn't in Yen? Got a link?

And someone just posted a topic a couple of days ago about how the Xbox brand has never made a profit. Not sure how credible it was, but it definitely contradicts your claim.

Hubble

Instead of senseless comments, please offer debate or insight. One sentence replies are shameful. He is right. Microsoft as a company is more healthier than Sony, especially before and during the 360 years. Sony was bleeding money from heavy losses on tvs, cameras, etc. They were doing so bad they hired an outside CEO for the first time to make cuts.

Goalus

Absolutely need more Gears titles. Where's my remakes of 2/3/judgment??

Gears 2 should indeed get a remaster.
Gears 3 and J are good-looking enough imho (in fact I couldn't believe they were 360 games when I played them), they should invest the effort of remastering them somewhere else instead.

cakely

I agree, but the XBox One X is MS taking issues to fix area's it knows it messed up on and this isn't MS going to AMD asking for simply slightly faster chips and a few more cores (like PS Pro). Its MS helping to develop a hugely powerful CPU and also help developers with the best tools and system layout MS can offer, even the cooling system of the One X shows how much effort and how serious MS is to get its GPU crown back.

MS is doing a hell of a lot of good moves and with its BC program for not just the 360 but now also the OG XBox it bolds well for anyone buying a game or product on the One or One X going forward, as does the focus on making a hugely powerful GPU.

It can only bold well, not just for the One X, but the X Box II.

So, you consider a Jaguar to be a hugely powerful CPU?

Also, it's "bode well", not "bold well".

Anyway, talk of Xbox One X is a bit off-topic in here. It doesn't have anything to do with Microsoft-exclusive game releases.

And it looks like this thread is being treated to another meltdown. Sony Too™ ^2

Instead of senseless comments, please offer debate or insight. One sentence replies are shameful. He is right. Microsoft as a company is more healthier than Sony, especially before and during the 360 years. Sony was bleeding money from heavy losses on tvs, cameras, etc. They were doing so bad they hired an outside CEO for the first time to make cuts.
Microsoft as a company has nothing to do with the health of the XBOX division. People who bring that up are generally doing so with an agenda.

Mosse

Neo Member

I don't think it's the financials of Sony and Microsoft that people are questioning. It's the part about everybody being mean to Microsoft now and nobody saying that Sony would fail at the end of last gen, and the poster ignoring evidence showing otherwise

jayu26

Read what Team Andromeda actually wrote. His entire argument is that despite Sony's troubles none here wrote about Sony getting out of video games business. He doubled down on that. His argument is blatantly false. Never mind that ridiculously thread from 2013 or the infamous Amir's "Age of Sony is done..." post and other posts like that, but there were in fact serious talk here and within tech community at large about how PlayStation should separate from Sony and spin off into a separate entity. Team Andromeda is living in his own world if he believes otherwise. Furthermore, Microsoft's overall financial situation doesn't dictate if they stay in the Xbox hardware business. Talking about Microsoft at large is like bringing up about struggles of Sony Pictures when talking about financial situation of PlayStation.

Duxxy3

Gears 2 should indeed get a remaster.
Gears 3 and J are good-looking enough imho (in fact I couldn't believe they were 360 games when I played them), they should invest the effort of remastering them somewhere else instead.

But I wanna play them all in 60fps!!

I doubt the X will account for more than 10% of future XB1 sales. $499 plus tax is no small chunk of change. If the Pro version of the far more popular PS4 accounts for 20% of sales at $400, a less popular console selling for $100 more with an objectively smaller lineup of exclusives is a tougher proposition. You'll have a small surge at the beginning led by a group of enthusiasts, then sales will fall off greatly. The majority of people with any interest in an XB1 will flock to a $200 S model this holiday season.
While you may very well be right, let's not pretend that the upgrade from the ps4 to the ps4 pro is even close to the upgrade from the xbox one to the xbox one x lol. There are a lot of xbox owners who are pretty excited to play xbox games that will be much improved. Phil Spencer also said the one x isn't supposed to be a big system seller. Its a niche console for enthusiasts wanting a more powerful system. I think 10% would be an okay number, but I'd hope for 20-30%. I don't know if the 4k blu ray player will be the same from the one s, hopefully not, but an improved 4k blu ray player could easily justify the 100 dollars more when you consider most current players are 200+ dollars alone. The nicer ones are 400-500 dollars. So it's not unreasonable to think that that could also entice someone to go for the more expensive console. From what I've read, the one s 4k blu ray player is just okay, but not great. So hopefully they improve it with the one x.

Papacheeks

Banned

So there's this which shows you the opposite of that your were talking about.
Second yea 2014 financials will be tough because of R&D among other things from their launches in 2013, and in other territories in 2014.
Also the biggest thing you keep saying is "Sony" we are talking about profitability of a division not the whole company.

Playstation division is literally helping the rest of the company that's how well it is doing. They are not losing money in that division anymore it is self sustaining. The same can not be said for xbox since there are more thing's that have happened and impacted it's growth, and recovery for operating income.

That link above shows in 2016 that the "Playstation Division" accounted for 78% of Q1 "Profits".

We are talking about exclusives aka software aka that link provided talks about how much software they are selling offsets any loses or costs from the division. Xbox needs more software to attract new customers and spur their current audience in buying new software. Making GAAS works if your playerbase is big in those types of games, and if you have a big player base to begin with which currently xbox has an issue with.
The foundation that Xbox division lacks in studios and long term partnerships is finally showing it's ugly head and is why the brand is in the state it's in period.

Top Bottom