• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Sure, but that's a different thing than what the poster I quoted suggested.

To be more direct, I believe Blizzard will eventually be releasing characters with at least one 1000-credit "Legendary" option in each major category of cosmetics besides just the skins.

We might see Sombra with not only legendary skins, but also a possible legendary emote with a legendary voiceline and a legendary highlight animation. It's absolute speculation, but I suspect it's one way for Blizzard to implement a 'credit sink' without enraging too much of the community.

More they push expensive in-game credit items more they inflate value of it while promotes using shortcuts. Especially after they demolish level XP requirement reset model.

I'm sure it's something pretty challenging to balance. I've gound myself to have more in-game currency than I know what to do with, but I'm also averaging about 10 games a day of Overwatch.

Hell, I'm sitting on 5K monies waiting for Sombra to show up.

Yes. Don't know the distances though.

It's about the same distance as Torb's Turret range. I know because yesterday I found a turret I could see perfectly, but wasn't attacking me. But I was only doing like 25HP a shot. I barely walked forward, the turret started shooting at me, but I was doing like 3x more damage.

So someone said this in the other thread:

Sombra seems terrifying. Meet the new Ana.

One gets the sense that, in a year, the original twenty-one heroes will never see serious play, having been replaced by a gaggle of new kids who all have ridiculous kits that work in all kinds of crazy ways.

A kid on a hovering wheelchair will float over to McCree and say "I shoot homing discs that target supports before DPS or tanks, prevent enemies from using their ults, shield my entire team from any damage for fifteen seconds, and can teleport though walls while doing area-of-effect damage all around me!"

McCree will say "I can shoot things real purdy."

"Oh. Oh that... sounds super-fun, man."

"I can also throw out a flashbang for a half-second crowd control!"

"Suuuper fun... oop, did you hear Doomfist calling? I gotta' go!"

"I didn't hear nothin'."

"Super fun though!"

So I propose this fun positivity activity:

What retooling/buffs would you like to see to make a character more fun to play as, assuming we forget balance for a bit?

1. Not just damage/health increases, I'm talking entirely new moves and mechanics, or changes that are fundamental to the experience of controlling them
  2. "Make *Blank* immune to hacking" is not a good answer either :p

Ideas:

Symmetra
  • Throwable turrets that stick to walls and deploy when they land
  • Let her put stationary orbs that have to be avoided and disappear after a while

Widowmaker
  • Make grapple a multi stocked ability like Blink so you can Spider-Man around
  • Switch to bolt action style gun and make quick scoped headshots a viable killing method for non tanks

Reaper
  • Taking souls prevents Mercy from resurrecting them

Torbjorn
  • Turret targets supports first, and targets people outside of shields first, switches targets to the optimal one

Pharah

So someone said this in the other thread:

So I propose this fun positivity activity:

What retooling/buffs would you like to see to make a character more fun to play as, assuming we forget balance for a bit?

1. Not just damage/health increases, I'm talking entirely new moves and mechanics, or changes that are fundamental to the experience of controlling them
  2. "Make *Blank* immune to hacking" is not a good answer either :p

Ideas:

Symmetra
  • Throwable turrets that stick to walls and deploy when they land
  • Let her put stationary orbs that have to be avoided and disappear after a while

Widowmaker
  • Make grapple a multi stocked ability like Blink so you can Spider-Man around
  • Switch to bolt action style gun and make quick scoped headshots a viable killing method for non tanks

Reaper
  • Taking souls prevents Mercy from resurrecting them

Torbjorn
  • Turret targets supports first, and targets people outside of shields first, switches targets to the optimal one

Pharah

Roadhog
  • The Auto-Boop - If an enemy walked into Roadhogs frontside, they'll bounc off his belly and be thrown away from him at a distance similar to Lucio's knockback.

I-hate-u

This might be a problem with the vanilla characters moving forward. I suspect Ana and Sombra are just a start. Soon we'll have heroes with multi-class abilities that can fit of roles with multiple heroes that make the OG characters very lacking.

I shudder to think how strong Bastion would have been if he was a DLC character. His turret mode would have been passive, he would have a shield, and has an ability to move him quickly on the field.

Sombra is up on PTR

New map is up too. Damn man, console OW sucks hard.

ohkay

Out of curiosity,
1. Have you guys gone up or down in rank from your placement?
2. What role do you normally play? (Instalock dps? Support? Tank? Wait and fill as needed?)
3. Are you comfortable playing any role?

Hell, I'm sitting on 5K monies waiting for Sombra to show up.

Same amount here, hopefully Sombra/Christmas skins will be good. The fact that I'm almost at level 400 means that now 3/4 of the content from lootboxes are usually duplicates so the currency just keeps accumulating, even if slowly.

It's about the same distance as Torb's Turret range. I know because yesterday I found a turret I could see perfectly, but wasn't attacking me. But I was only doing like 25HP a shot. I barely walked forward, the turret started shooting at me, but I was doing like 3x more damage.

I checked and Torb's turret range is 40m. I honestly thought that the damage fall off was shorter, I noticed it while shooting bots in practice range but I don't really remember from where I was shooting.

To be more direct, I believe Blizzard will eventually be releasing characters with at least one 1000-credit "Legendary" option in each major category of cosmetics besides just the skins.

We might see Sombra with not only legendary skins, but also a possible legendary emote with a legendary voiceline and a legendary highlight animation. It's absolute speculation, but I suspect it's one way for Blizzard to implement a 'credit sink' without enraging too much of the community.

Yep, D.va's emote was the first, but I'd be shocked if it was the last one.
Animated sprays for legendaries. No idea how you would make a legendary voice line without it being too much of a ripoff though.

This might be a problem with the vanilla characters moving forward. I suspect Ana and Sombra are just a start. Soon we'll have heroes with multi-class abilities that can fit of roles with multiple heroes that make the OG characters very lacking.

I shudder to think how strong Bastion would have been if he was a DLC character. His turret mode would have been passive, he would have a shield, and has an ability to move him quickly on the field.

Ehh. I'm still in the party that believes Sombra's kit sounds way more powerful than it is. She's very much a utility character, but I think her damage options being so limited hurt her. She doesn't have any high DPS output abilities. Even her Ult doesn't actually do Damage to anyone. It's going to be challenging for her to get Ult energy because of this.

As I understand it, she fires a lot like Tracer, but Tracer has the ability to get in, deal damage, and get out, with multiple escape methods.

Sombra has a way to get in, and get out, but both methods are on longer cooldowns, and aren't as quick of an option.

PTR will be interesting because we'll get to really learn what all counters she has.

MrPanic

The PTR is a separate install of the game right? I saw a trick online about starting the install, then quitting the blizzard app, then copy your OW folder over to the PTR folder, then starting the app again so it only downloads a patch and not the whole game again. Is that actually a thing that works?

Skii

Out of curiosity,
2. What role do you normally play? (Instalock dps? Support? Tank? Wait and fill as needed?)

On PS4, I never went below my placement and gained about 400 SR. I was on course for diamond but I dont know if I would've made it.

I usually play DPS with Reaper/Genji but I was more than okay playing Zarya and Zenyatta if people weren't willing to play tank/healer. That effectively changed my game from first season. I had 4 heroes that I was decent at rather than 2 from first season.

I-hate-u

Ehh. I'm still in the party that believes Sombra's kit sounds way more powerful than it is. She's very much a utility character, but I think her damage options being so limited hurt her. She doesn't have any high DPS output abilities. Even her Ult doesn't actually do Damage to anyone. It's going to be challenging for her to get Ult energy because of this.

As I understand it, she fires a lot like Tracer, but Tracer has the ability to get in, deal damage, and get out, with multiple escape methods.

Sombra has a way to get in, and get out, but both methods are on longer cooldowns, and aren't as quick of an option.

PTR will be interesting because we'll get to really learn what all counters she has.

I actually agree. Her kit is much more elaborate than the vanilla characters but she doesn't seem like a game changer like Ana. I still don't get why she is an offense character. Everything about her screams defense class. Hanzo is more offensive than her.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Legendaries:
HpuXl1h.jpg

Q07w86o.jpg

0h6kKD2.jpg

kyCSRSM.jpg

I actually agree. Her kit is much more elaborate than the vanilla characters but she doesn't seem like a game changer like Ana. I still don't get why she is an offense character. Everything about her screams defense class. Hanzo is more offensive than her.

Ehh, Defense is supposed to be heroes that can lock areas down. Offense is about characters than can break through enemy lines.

Basically, Defense heroes require more synergy from team make-up than Offense heroes do.

Jellie

Out of curiosity,

1. PS4. 3049->3462 PC 2569->3262.
2. Support/Tank.
3. Not great on DPS.

B00TE

Just played a game with Sombra, she's pretty fun. You can get knocked out of hacks and going into stealth if you get hit. Hacking health packs is pretty great.

maouvin

Guess I'll warm up for comp on PTR today~

Out of curiosity,

1. Down for a good while. Placed 2350, eventually reached ~2050. Then last week managed to reach 2420. Will get dat platinum and then be done for the season.

2. Support. I wait some teammates to choose their characters and then go either with Lucio or Zen. When both are taken I go tank. Rarely dps. Don't think I've used a defense character this season.

3. Nope. I'm not confident enough to go DPS or defense. I do fare nicely with offense on QP, but that's QP.

Out of curiosity,

Place at 2950, Just hit 3800.

Roles

Mei is the only Defense hero I will play. There are several characters I have zero interest in, and a handful of others that I'm just not good at.

For tanks, I'm great with Zarya and Roadhog, but suck balls as Rein and DVa. I can manage with Winston.

I don't mind playing support, but it's one of those things where I feel like I'm not giving the team my full potential if I get stuck in the roll. Notice my Zenyatta only has a 25% win percentage.

Top Bottom