• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

War for the Planet of the Apes - Review thread. (RT= 96%)

Dominator

Honestly, I don't think any movie has ever given me such extreme goosebumps as much as the scene in Rise where Caesar says "NO!"

I was shook.

I can't wait to see it. Rise was really good and Dawn was (along with The Lego Movie) my favorite film of 2014. Can't believe this has the potential to be one the rare trilogies that have stayed consistently great (or as others have said, a series that has gotten better with each new installment). Which is also a testament to how well Reeves, Serkis, and company has done with this reboot series.

Thewonandonly

I will have to check out below but I'm not a romance movie kind of person besides Shakespeare's in love because that was fantastic :)

Anyway do you guys think after this they will go one more and do the planet of the apes with the astronaut coming back. They set it up heavily in the first one.

DirtyLarry

Was just discussing this with some friends and family over the weekend.
Easily my most anticipated movie of the year.
Also easily my favorite rebooted franchise by far as well. By far.

The original is one of my favorite movies ever, and I was so concerned they were just going to tarnish its legacy. In many ways they have exceeded it, especially visually.

Just cannot wait.

Rewatching Dawn recently has firmly put Matt Reeves on my radar. Whilst I really liked Cloverfield and Let Me In, I didn't quite appreciate how good of a film maker he is until watching Dawn, and I am really glad he has come back for this one. Also, on a side note, he would totally make an awesome The Last of Us film.

Last time I checked, Return of the Jedi wasn't very good.

As a closing leg in a trilogy, what do you think has protected Return of the Jedi's status even though it's objectively mediocre? I don't think it's as well made a film as Dark Knight Rises, but I think it's fair to say that a large number of people will gravitate to Jedi more than Rises.

Wait these movies are genuinely good? I always thought they were throwaway quality stuff like Xmen Apocalypse and Jurassic World...

Is this a 21 Jump Street thing of this bad sounding idea actually being awesome

SpaceWolf

Banned
As a closing leg in a trilogy, what do you think has protected Return of the Jedi's status even though it's objectively mediocre?

What "status"? Genuinely not sure what you mean here.

I don't think it's as well made a film as Dark Knight Rises, but I think it's fair to say that a large number of people will gravitate to Jedi more than Rises.

I think it's fair to say people will gravitate to most films over Rises.

Wait these movies are genuinely good? I always thought they were throwaway quality stuff like Xmen Apocalypse and Jurassic World...

Is this a 21 Jump Street thing of this bad sounding idea actually being awesome

The first one is fine, the second one is great and this one looks to be great too.

Way better than Apocalypse or Jurassic World anyway.

Mariolee

After watching the first two this past week I am incredibly excited to watch this. To hear that it is BETTER than the second one is incredible.

Yeah, I'm HYPED for this. More hyped for this than Homecoming. Biggest movie of the Summer for me.

So, yeah no surprise here. Trailers have been great, especially the first teaser. One of my all-time favorite teasers/trailers.

NTM, Rise was very good, and Dawn was even better (favorite movie of 2014 along with Future Past), so this movie is already coming off a great series of movies.

What "status"? Genuinely not sure what you mean here.[/B][/I]

I mean the film has flaws that would tank other films by comparison, but is given a pass. Rises was not an enjoyable film, while Jedi was inherently flawed, and yet it's probably a more satisfying film for me and others. At the very least, I came across feeling more satisfied with its bookends than I did for Rises. I never did go away feeling the way that Nolan wanted us to feel in its closing epilogue.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
For the longest time, I thought Rise and Dawn were sequels to the 2001 remake, so I figured sequels to a mediocre remake weren't worth my time.
I only watched them a few weeks back and was surprised I enjoyed them so much. That Burton movie was a real disservice to the franchise.

I also have assumed these were all related to the Burton film as well. Really need to sit down and watch them one day, feels like each new release is more beloved than the previous.

For the longest time, I thought Rise and Dawn were sequels to the 2001 remake, so I figured sequels to a mediocre remake weren't worth my time.
I only watched them a few weeks back and was surprised I enjoyed them so much. That Burton movie was a real disservice to the franchise.

OK yes I thought this as well. I was confused people were saying trilogy as well.

Best franchise running at the moment. If it wasn't for baby driver this would definitely be my most hyped movie of the summer.

Reeves killed it with the last one. Man if he does his own thing on Batman it could be a God-tier superhero movie up there with stuff like dark knight, Logan and spidey 2

Judging by dawn he has a great handle on making big budget action movies with engaging drama

Demption

Watched the first two today without knowing that the third movie is coming out so soon. This franchise is fucking awesome. Caesar is such a fantastic character.

tbm24

This reboot series has been on the money for me it's amazing. Dawn and Rise were amazing experiences(Rise in particular in IMAX was an amazing experience
when Caesar reveals himself to Malfoy
). Super excited to see this one.

Osukaa

Monkeys rule. lol Glad its going out with a bang ... This is a trilogy right ??

The only thing that bothered me about part 2 was How the hell did the monkeys reload the weapons? I didn't see them walking around with any ammo and they were shooting back and forth for like an hour lol. Correct me if i'm wrong GAF

Damn Apes figured out the secret to infinite ammo.....

Best franchise running at the moment. If it wasn't for baby driver this would definitely be my most hyped movie of the summer.

Reeves killed it with the last one. Man if he does his own thing on Batman it could be a God-tier superhero movie up there with stuff like dark knight, Logan and spidey 2

Judging by dawn he has a great handle on making big budget action movies with engaging drama

He's been saying on the press tours for War that the big inspiration he's looking at for The Batman is Alfred Hitchcock and how his films specialized in firmly aligning audiences with unusual character POVs (i.e. voyeurism in Rear Window, Psycho).

I think looking at the Master of Suspense for a mythos like Batman's is perfect on all fronts. I can definitely see potential thematic parallels between Bruce Wayne and some of Hitchcock's more famous protagonists, as well as Hitchcock's gift with the villains.

Toothless

Apes
A Ghost Story
Atomic Blonde
Valerian
Dunkirk
Expansions of The Big Sick and The Beguiled

July is gonna be fucking awesome for movies. Glad that this is apparently amazing.

Top Bottom